This bell was hung in the old court house in 1853 and for 75 years served Ashland County truly & well. It's vibrant tones rang out the news of Lee's surrender, tolled the passing of the immortal Lincoln, pealed forth the victory of Admiral Dewey, . . . — — Map (db m25829) HM
To the heroic pioneers who braved the perils of the pathless wilderness to establish homes for their loved ones, and who laid the foundation of our commonwealth so broad and deep in this their new homeland that their descendants might freely enjoy . . . — — Map (db m25832) HM
Founding of Ashland College
The dream of establishing a college was born in the hearts of members of the German Brethren Church. In March 1877, a meeting was held at the Maple Grove Brethren Church to discuss the establishment of a college in . . . — — Map (db m97072) HM
Erected in 1957 by George and Jessie Jones in loving memory of their son, Earl E. Jones, Ashland College student 1920-21, who died in 1921.
This terrace is dedicated to the pleasurable growth and development of the young people who attend . . . — — Map (db m25836) HM
This building was a center of community life from the time of its construction in 1886 to the late 1930s. Once common, such combinations of governmental offices and commercial and entertainment space are today rare. The second floor opera house . . . — — Map (db m24286) HM
Clear Fork Gorge was formed when glacial meltwater cut through the sandstone bedrock that forms its steep walls fourteen to twenty-four thousand years ago. The gorge is one thousand feet wide and over three hundred feet deep. Its seclusion has . . . — — Map (db m24285) HM
A pioneer in automotive innovation. Charles Franklin Kettering (1876-1958) was born three miles north of Loudonville. He attended local schools and graduated from Ohio State University in 1904. He organizaed the Dayton Engineering Laboratories . . . — — Map (db m1341) HM
Front Tensions between Native Americans and Euro-American settlers remained high on the Ohio frontier during the War of 1812. Grievances mounted rapidly following the removal of the Greentown Delawares to Piqua in the late summer of 1812. On . . . — — Map (db m28800) HM
Mifflin was founded in 1816. Originally known as Petersburg, the name was changed in 1827 in honor of the settlers that moved here from Mifflin Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The first village jailhouse and crossroad . . . — — Map (db m97113) HM
A migration of Indians throughout Ohio began due to unstable conditions created by the American Revolution. The massacre of Christian Indians at the Moravian mission of Gnadenhutten in 1782 and Colonel William Crawford’s expedition against Wyandot . . . — — Map (db m1340) HM
John “Appleseed” Chapman (b. September 26, 1774—d. March 18, 1845) was the first lessee of this 160 acre tract (NW ¼, S 20, T 20, R 16), when he secured it for 99 years from the Virginia Military District School Lands on April 10, . . . — — Map (db m46337) HM
To honor our veterans who have served
To those who served and returned ...
To those who served and were lost ...
Your contribution and sacrifice for our freedom is not forgotten.
We are eternally . . . — — Map (db m38799) HM
2nd World War
We dedicate this symbol to the men and women of this community who helped preserve the freedoms of humanity to keep forever living the freedom for which they died.
Let us forever remember and . . . — — Map (db m38953) WM