Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Baltimore Maryland Historical Markers

705 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 505
 
Marker location image, Touch for more information
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 18, 2008
Marker location
Maryland, Baltimore — A Name Before a Place
Leakin Park had a name before it had a place. At his death in 1922 John Wilson Leakin left the city several downtown properties to be sold so land could he purchased for apark. The city deferred action because of existing leases, the Great . . . — Map (db m6338) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Admiral Guillermo Brown
In honor to the abiding memory of The father of the Argentine Navy Admiral Guillermo Brown On the banks of the Delaware where he started his maritime career. "Brave in combat, magnanimous in victory and audacious in his decisions" Born in 1777 in . . . — Map (db m6158) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — An Old Mill Stream
If you were standing here in the early 1800s, you would have been listening to the waterwheel humming away at the Windsor Mill across this bridge. This section of the Gwynns Falls Trail is built over a three-mile millrace that carried water to power . . . — Map (db m6340) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — B. Robinson 5
Front panel-Brooks Calbert Robinson, Jr. Baltimore Orioles 3rd Baseman 1955-1977. Left panel-Brooks Robinson was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, but he became Baltimore’s hometown hero. Arriving here in September 1955 at the age of 18, he went . . . — Map (db m136353) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Babe’s Dream
George Herman “Babe” Ruth, Baltimorean. Feb. 6, 1895 – Aug. 16, 1948. — Map (db m708) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Public Works Museum
Completed in 1912, the majestic Eastern Avenue Pumping Station was the architectural crown jewel in the City of Baltimore’s ambitious plan to provide its citizens with a service largely taken for granted today, a sanitary sewage system.

Designed . . . — Map (db m60939) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Regional TrailA House Divided — War on the Chesapeake Bay —
During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Maryland's residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when . . . — Map (db m37537) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailFlag Waving at Fawn Street — Baltimore – A House Divided —
(Preface): On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the Baltimore Riot, the . . . — Map (db m6208) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailLast Shots at Camden Station — Baltimore – A House Divided —
(Preface): On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the Baltimore Riot, the city’s . . . — Map (db m37538) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore’s Maritime HeritagePride of Baltimore II
The world’s only authentic sailing reproduction of an 1812-era Baltimore Clipper. Pride of Baltimore II is more than a spectacular ship---it is a living, working symbol of Baltimore’s maritime heritage. With her sharply raked masts, abundance of . . . — Map (db m102955) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carrollton Viaduct
The Carrollton Viaduct carried the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad over the Gwynns Falls, its first malor stream crossing as it headed west from its Pratt Street terminus Completed in 1829, the 300-foot stone span is named for Charles Carroll of . . . — Map (db m6391) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — ChapelCrimea Estate
1919 Eagle Drive, Leakin Park, Chapel dedicated to Celeste Revillon Winans, 1823-1861 in memory of her commitment to feeding the hungry in Baltimore City.

Mayor Sheila Dixon, Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks, Friends of . . . — Map (db m102649) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Christopher Columbus MemorialColumbus Piazza
Front panel Christopher Columbus discover of America October 12, 1492. Dedicated to the City of Baltimore by the Italian American Organization United of Maryland and the Italian American Community of Baltimore in commemoration of the discovery of . . . — Map (db m103122) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Crimea
To escape the intolerable heat of Baltimore summers, Thomas Dekay Winans built this country house on land which he had purchased in 1855. Winans had recently returned from Russia, where he made a fortune supervising construction of the . . . — Map (db m6404) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Crimea Estate
In the mid-1800s this meadow and hillside were part of Thomas Winans' country estate, the Crimea. After returning from Russia, where he helped build the St. Petersburg-Moscow railroad, Winans established this estate. He and his Russian-born wife, . . . — Map (db m6336) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Crimea MansionThe Arrest of Ross Winans
On May 11, 1861, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's troops occupied the railroad depot southwest of Baltimore at Relay, where a spur of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's main line turned south to Washington. The seizure of Relay yielded a surprise . . . — Map (db m6403) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal Hill and Otterbein
The Federal Hill and Otterbein Historic Districts exemplify preservation efforts in Baltimore. Adjacent to the Inner Harbor, they were among the earliest areas developed in the city. After periods of economic prosperity and decline, these historic . . . — Map (db m6357) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Free State Pub
The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution banned the manufacture, sale and transportation of alcohol from 1920 to 1933. Maryland - nicknamed "The Old Line State" from George Washington's time - was the only state that never passed a state . . . — Map (db m104269) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — From Bricks and Pianos to FootballGwynns Falls Trail
More than a million bricks were used to construct M&T Bank Stadium in 1998. This reflects not only Maryland’s architectural heritage, but also the history of the site, a one-time colonial brickyard. Alexander Russell produced bricks here, using clay . . . — Map (db m104382) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gas, Dredges, Beer, and PianosGwynns Falls Trail
This area of Baltimore, known as Carroll-Camden, was one of the city’s earliest industrial districts. Starting in the 1800s, it served as the home of the gas-lighting industry, breweries, and manufacturers of dredging equipment and pianos. Baltimore . . . — Map (db m104052) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — George Herman (Babe) Ruth
Babe Ruth was born in 1895, a few blocks northwest of here on Emory Street. In 1902 the seven-year-old was sent to Saint Mary's Industrial School, a home for unwanted children in southwest Baltimore. On the school's playfields he became an . . . — Map (db m136346) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Great Railroad Strike of 1877
The first national strike began July 16, 1877, with Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers in Martinsburg, West Virginia, and Baltimore Maryland. It spread across the nation halting rail traffic and closing factories in reaction to widespread worker . . . — Map (db m63862) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Green Mount Cemetery
Green Mount Cemetery was dedicated in 1839 on the site of the former country estate of Robert Oliver. This was the beginning of the “rural cemetery movement”; Green Mount was Baltimore’s first such rural cemetery and one of the first in . . . — Map (db m62629) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls Park at Windsor Mill RoadGwynns Falls Trail
The two-mile portion of the trail between here and Trailhead 4 at Leon Day Park is the only section with a gravel surface. The trail follows the route of an early 1800s millrace along the Gwynns Falls that carried water from Dickeyville to power the . . . — Map (db m102658) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailBlocking the Interstate
Norman Reeves, a member of the Baltimore City Council, was an active opponent of the expressway. A Leaking Park trail is named in his memory.—Barbara Mikulski, an activist social worker and Fells Point resident, and later City Council member, . . . — Map (db m103766) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailGwynns Falls Park at I-70/Franklintown
Here at Interstate 70, this hiking and biking trail runs 15 miles through nearby Franklintown and the Gwynns Falls valley to the Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore and the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River, a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. The . . . — Map (db m114588) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Joe Gans and the Goldfield Hotel
The Goldfield Hotel once stood at the corner of East Lexington and Colvin Streets. Joe Gans, a Baltimore native and the first African American boxing champion, owned the hotel and its nightclub, which was one of the earliest integrated clubs in the . . . — Map (db m40431) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leakin Park at the Crimea EstateGwynns Falls Trail
Leakin Park provides tennis courts, playgrounds, sports fields, picnic facilities, and woodlands for year-around public use. This property was once a part of Thomas de Kay Winans’ country estate, Crimea, purchased by the city in the 1940s with . . . — Map (db m102631) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Leakin Park at Winans MeadowGwynns Falls Trail
Here in Leakin Park wander around Winans Meadow, enjoy a picnic, and walk in a Piedmont forest and bike along the Dead Run as it flows to the Gwynns Falls and eventually the Chesapeake Bay. View ruins of old farm buildings, a mock fort, and an iron . . . — Map (db m115236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Liberty Ship S.S. John W. Brown
S.S. John W. Brown Built for U.S. Maritime Commission Hull No. 312 by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Inc. Baltimore, Maryland September 1942 — Map (db m145656) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lifeboat Number 2
The only known remaining lifeboat from Savannah's original outfit of four lifeboats, No. 2 is a 26' long aluminum hull, oar-propelled open boat manufactured in 1959 by the Welin Davit and Boat Company of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. This . . . — Map (db m145941) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Living Classrooms Foundation
Lady Maryland The Lady Maryland is an authentic replica of a pungy schooner, a Chesapeake Bay workboat that sailed the Bay in the 1700s and 1800s. Pungies were fast sailing vessels and were primarily used to transport perishable cargo such as . . . — Map (db m6126) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — M551A1 Sheridan AR/AAV
Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle-Turret Armament 152mm Gun/Launcher-M-219 7.62 cal. Machine Gun (Coaxially Mounted)-M-2 .50 Cal. Machine Gun-M-176 Grenade Launchers (8)-Weight 36,000 lbs. Combat Loaded-Cruising Range 373 miles, . . . — Map (db m114581) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Main Reduction (Bull) Gear Segment
This segment of the main reduction gear was donated to the N/S Savannah Association in 2009 by the Southern Scrap Company of New Orleans, Louisiana. It weighs about 37,500 lbs, or nearly half of the weight of the complete gear. Notice that the hub . . . — Map (db m145942) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Stadium Complex at Ostend and Warner StreetsGwynns Falls Trail
Today Camden Yards is synonymous with sports. It is the site of two stadiums that are the home of the National Football League’s Baltimore Ravens and the Major League Baseball’s Baltimore Orioles. North of the stadiums is the Sports Legends Museum . . . — Map (db m103024) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Montebello
Originally the estate of Major General Samuel Smith (1752-1839). In 1881 Lake Montebello began service as a drinking water supply for Baltimore when connected by tunnel with Loch Raven reservoir. Montebello water filtration plant was completed in . . . — Map (db m96029) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Norman Van Allan Reeves(1935-1983)
Memorial trail In loving memory of and in appreciation for his untiring efforts to preserve Leakin Park. Dedicated by V.O.L.P.E. and Friends of Gwynns Falls / Leakin Park September 11, 1983 — Map (db m6405) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — On to YorktownWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail
Our nation never had more at risk than it did in September 1781. The American Revolutionary War—the War for Independence—had raged for nearly six years. More than 4,000 American and French troops, allied in their fight against the . . . — Map (db m63885) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Orianda House
Orianda House, built in 1857 at a cost of $9,170.69, was designed by Niernsee and Neilson, architects. This country mansion was the summer home of Thomas de Kay Winans, a wealthy railroad entrepreneur, and his Russian-born wife, Celeste Louise . . . — Map (db m61050) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ouija Board
Front Yes-No, Letters A through Z & 1 through 0, Good bye

Back Elijah Jefferson Bond, Patentee of the Ouija Board; Born January 23rd 1847 Died April 14th 1921. — Map (db m101874) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Pride of BaltimoreAmerica’s Star-Spangled Ambassador
The Pride of Baltimore II is a reconstruction of an early 19th century Baltimore Clipper. Her mission is to promote historical maritime education, foster economic development and tourism, and represent the people of Maryland in every port she . . . — Map (db m102957) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Richard H. Trainor
The Camden Yards Light Rail Station is dedicated to Richard H. “Dick” Trainor (1929—1997) for his outstanding public service and leadership in the construction of transportation and public facilities throughout the state of . . . — Map (db m37539) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Seeing the Forest for the TreesGwynns Falls Trial
Forests cover almost 12 of the 65 square miles in the Gwynns Falls watershed.

To understand the forest, look for patterns such as tree types, indicator species, species richness, gaps, and evidence of fire.

Stratification is the . . . — Map (db m102680) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Seven-Foot Knoll Lighthouse
Seven-foot knoll lighthouse was the second screwpile structure to be built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. It was originally located 15 miles southeast of this location. The 42 foot high round screwpile lighthouse was completed by the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m64732) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Peter Claver Church
“The Church will have its glory in triumph in the colored race, and, for aught I know, be the salvation of this nation.” So stated the Rt. Reverend A.A. Curtis, Bishop of Wilmington, Delaware, in his dedication service for St. Peter . . . — Map (db m101947) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Great Baltimore Fire
On Sunday morning, February 7, 1904, a spark ignited blankets and cotton goods in the firm of John E. Hurst and Company, which stood between Hopkins Place and Liberty on the south side of German (now Redwood) Street. Flames leapt out of control from . . . — Map (db m6154) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Union Soldiers and Sailors Monument
[East face, center:] Erected by the State of Maryland to commemorate the patriotism and heroic courage of her sons who on land and sea fought for the preservation of the Federal Union in the Civil War, 1861 - 1865. SCVTO . . . — Map (db m18296) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Water Power: Baltimore's Economic EngineJones Falls Trail and the Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse
The best-known and least-appreciated fresh waterway in Baltimore, the Jones Falls River is an important tributary of the Chesapeake Watershed, and the largest of several waterways that empty into Baltimore Harbor. From the time of the first colonial . . . — Map (db m129001) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Wrestling in Maryland
Wrestling was a popular sport in Maryland in the early 20th century. Baltimore was the base for nationally known professionals Gus “Americus” Schoenlein, Frank “Shad” Link, Frank Lynch, Harry Scroggs, “Kid” Taylor . . . — Map (db m60957) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Barclay — The North Avenue Poly Building
"You didn't go to Poly, you joined it." Such is the proud attitude of many Baltimoreans associated with this school, long considered to have one of the best college preparatory programs in the country. Conceived in 1883, the school opened its doors . . . — Map (db m135068) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Belair - Edison — Mounted MessengersStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Captain Henry Thompson, Clifton Mansion’s original owner, formed the First Baltimore Horse Artillery unit in 1813. General John Stricker chose Thompson’s troop to report on enemy movements at the August 1814 Battle of Bladensburg.

Selected as . . . — Map (db m79744) WM

Maryland (Baltimore), Better Waverly — Eastern High School Monument
(Panel on the left) The Good Shepherd in honor of: Lizette Woodworth Reese, Poetess, Grace Trunbull, Sculptress.

(Panel on the right) Dedicated by Eastern High School graduates in honor and memory of their teachers and alumni 1844-1986. — Map (db m102703) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — 29th Division AssociationCenter Haute Meuse 1917-Sector Alsace Argonne 1919
Charles Hazeltine Hammann Ens Air Service U.S. Navy March 16, 1892-June 14, 1919

Henry Gilbert Costin Pvt. Co. H, 115TH Inf., 29th Div June 15, 1898-October 8, 1918.

Ensign Hammann rescued a fellow pilot by landing his seaplane on . . . — Map (db m101516) WM

Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Archibald Coleman Rogers, FAIA
Archibald Coleman Rogers, FAIA 1917-2001 Founding Partner of the global architectural firm RTKL. President of the American Institute of Architects. First Executive Director of the Greater Baltimore Committee. He played a vital role in revitalizing . . . — Map (db m142896) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Colonel Charles Marshall1830-1902
Chief of Staff to General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox. Later a political reformer and one of nineteenth-century Baltimore's "Seven Great Lawyers." — Map (db m6460) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Confederate Soldiers and Sailors MonumentReconciling History — Baltimore's Confederate Monuments —
During the Civil War, approximately 60,000 Marylanders fought for the Union and 25,000 fought for the Confederacy. After the war, Confederate sympathizers erected monuments such as this one to recognize Confederate soldiers and sailors and to . . . — Map (db m101761) WM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Curt Richter, Ph. D. / Gary Moore1894-1988 / 1915-1993
. . . — Map (db m6476) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Daniel Coit Gilman1831-1908
First President of Johns Hopkins University. First director of John Hopkins Hospital. A pathfinder in American graduate and professional education. — Map (db m6559) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Early Civil Rights EraPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
In pre-Civil War Baltimore, African Americans—such as Frederick Douglas, Daniel Coker, and William Watkins--- wrote some of the earliest and most important abolitionist treatises. After the Civil War, African Americans founded the Douglass . . . — Map (db m102079) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Edith Hamilton1867-1963
Classicist author of The Greek Way. A leader in women's day-schooling First headmistress of Bryn Mawr School. *** Alice Hamilton, M.D. 1869-1970 Founder of industrial hygiene, pioneer in removing lead from paint. Harvard's first woman . . . — Map (db m6466) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Ernest Stebbins, M.D.1901-1987
Early advisor to the World Health Organization. New York City Health Commissioner. Long time dean of Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. — Map (db m6581) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — F. Scott Fitzgerald1896-1940
Author of The Great Gatsby (1925). Works published while he resided here: Tender is the Night (1934), Raps At Reveille (1935), and essays (1934-1936) later collected in The Crack-Up. — Map (db m6473) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland
Welcome to the Memorial Garden of Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland. In Honor of Families and Children and their strivings to succeed-enter to enjoy, reflect, celebrate, remember and heal.

Established September 3, 1998 on the . . . — Map (db m101956) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Florence Rena Sabin, M.D.1871-1953
First woman full professor at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Introducer of techniques for staining living cells. Reformer of Colorado's health laws. Her statue stands in the U.S. Capitol. — Map (db m6475) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Frances Morton Froehlicher1912 - 1995
Housing and city planning advocate. Published a seminal study of Baltimore neighborhoods. Co-founder and Executive Director of the Citizens Planning and Housing Association. Co-founder of the Better Air Coalition. — Map (db m142890) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Francis Scott Key
1780-1843 Presented to the City of Baltimore Charles L. Marburg [this marker tells its story in a pictorial manner] On one side, ships are depicted bombarding Fort McHenry. On the other, the view is from Fort McHenry out onto the ships in . . . — Map (db m6548) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Franklin P. Mall, M.D.1862-1919
First Johns Hopkins Professor of Anatomy. After 1914, also first Director of the Department of Embryology at Washington's Carnegie Institution, where he pioneered embryological research. — Map (db m6480) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Garry Moore1915-1993
Born Thomas Garrison Morfit, he was an early host and star of 1950s and 1960s television variety shows, including I've Got a Secret and The Garry Moore Show. — Map (db m6589) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — George W. Rayner HouseCirca 1879
George Rayner (1854-1884), lawyer and one of Baltimore's wealthiest men, was the first to call this home. — Map (db m6579) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Gerald W. Johnson1890-1980
Journalist, historian and biography. His political commentary, in print and on television, led Adlai Stevenson to call him "the critic and conscience of the nation." — Map (db m6478) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Gloria VictisConfederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Gloria Victis-To the Soldiers and Sailors of Maryland in the service of the Confederate States of America. 1861-1865 {The front of the base of the monument}Map (db m62306) WM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Hans Froehlicher, Jr.
Hans Froehlicher, Jr. 1891-1976 Civic educator and activist. Headmaster of Park School. Co-founder and President of the Citizens Planning and Housing Association. With his wife Frances, founded the Better Air Coalition. — Map (db m142891) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Hugh Lennox Bond1828-1893
Stalwart supporter of President Lincoln and of Emancipation. Chief Judge in the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court, where he was nicknamed "The Curse of the K.K.K" for his harsh sentences. — Map (db m6462) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Jacob Epstein1864-1945
Innovative wholesale merchant to the South and collector of Old Master paintings. As a philanthropist, he inaugurated the system of matching charitable grants. — Map (db m6568) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Jacob J. Abel, M.D.1857-1938
Pioneer researcher on adrenalin, insulin, and the artificial kidney. First Professor of Pharmacology at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. For 40 years the leading pharmacologist in America. — Map (db m6569) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Jesse Lazear, M.D.1866-1900
Johns Hopkins researcher in Cuba. To find the cause of yellow fever he courageously exposed himself to virus-infected mosquitoes and died of the disease, thereby proving the route of transmission. — Map (db m6583) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Laurance Page Roberts
Laurance Page Roberts 1907-2002 Director of the Brooklyn Museum, the American Academy in Rome, and the New York State Council on the Arts, Scholar of Japanese art.

Isabel Spaulding Roberts 1911-2003 First woman Director of the Brooklyn Museum. — Map (db m142863) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum
Dr. Lillie May Carroll Jackson, born in Baltimore on May 25, 1889, was a tireless freedom fighter. As an “American of African descent, “she endured the humiliation of Jim Crow segregation, but did not take this plight sitting down. Using . . . — Map (db m101626) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Lillie Carroll Jackson Museum
"God opened my mouth and no man can shut it." With this firm belief in God and herself, "Ma" Jackson acieved extraordinary success in securing equal rights for blacks in Baltimore and Maryland. Born in 1889, she began fighting for black equality and . . . — Map (db m6562) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Mergenthaler House
From 1894 to 1899, this house was the residence of Ottmar Mergenthaler, a German immigrant who revolutionized the art of printing with his invention of the Linotype. Previously a typesetter searched for a single character, then placed it in a line . . . — Map (db m6582) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — St. James Court
This property St. James Court 1312, 1314, 1316 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m101627) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — The Cone Sisters
. . . — Map (db m90603) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — The Md. Prince Hall Masons
"The Md. Prince Hall Masons acquired this Temple from the congregation of Oheb Shalom, November 1960, built by them in 1891." Williard W. Allen, Grand Master Emeritus Samuel T. Daniels, Grand Master — Map (db m6551) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Thomas J. O’Neill
Thomas J. O’Neill 1849-1919-Founder of O’Neill & Company Department Store. He left the business to his employees. He bequeathed the funds that built Good Samaritan Hospital and the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen. — Map (db m142861) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — William Edwards Stevenson1900-1985
Boyhood home of the President of Oberlin College and head of Aspen Humanities Institute. Ambassador to the Philippines. Olympic Gold Medalist for the 1600 meter relay in 1924. — Map (db m6468) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — William H. Howell, Ph.D.1860-1945
Discoverer of the anticoagulant heparin. First Professor of Physiology and early Dean at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Second director of the Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. — Map (db m6464) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — William Sydney Thayer, M.D.1864-1932
Much decorated Chief Medical Consultant to American Expeditionary Forces in World War I. President of the American Medical Association. Fourth Johns Hopkins University Professor of Medicine. — Map (db m6554) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bolton Hill — Woodrow Wilson1864-1932
Coming to this house as a Hopkins Ph.D. candidate was the first step towards Princeton University's presidency, New Jersey's governorship and the White House. — Map (db m6558) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Booth-Boyd — Bon Secours Hospital
Congregation of the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France in 1824, sent three members to Baltimore in May, 1881, at the request of Cardinal Gibbons. Their first U. S. convent opened at West Baltimore and Payson Streets the . . . — Map (db m2451) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Baltimore Arts Tower
Once known as the Bromo Seltzer Tower, this building is a monument to Captain Isaac Emerson, the imaginative chemist who developed a famous headache remedy, and named it after Mt. Bromo - an active volcano in Java. Emerson came to Baltimore in . . . — Map (db m6982) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Baltimore Equitable Society
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115208) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Beehler Umbrella Factory
On this site, from 1886-1908, stood the Beehler Umbrella Factory, the oldest umbrella house in America. Founded in Baltimore by Francis Beehler in 1828. — Map (db m4895) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Breaking Boundaries: Reverence, Renovation, and Rock and RollMount Vernon Cultural Walk
In the early 1950s, the 900 block of Tyson Street made national news for its dramatic transformation from a dilapidated street of falling down houses to a street framed by quaint pastel-colored homes. In 1948, City inspectors had condemned Tyson . . . — Map (db m102864) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Educating Baltimore: Music, History and AcademiaMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Across Howard Street, Johns Hopkins University opened in 1876 as America’s first research university. The University attracted and trained some of the best minds of the 19th century: philosophers Josiah Royce and Charles Sanders Pierce; physician . . . — Map (db m102805) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center
The Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center, founded in 1981 was a rich history which started over 25 years ago when the organization began as a Model Cities Arts Program. The estate of James Hubert Blake, better known as . . . — Map (db m102810) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Faust Brothers Building
When constructed in 1870, the Faust Brothers Building incorporated the latest innovations in building construction methods and materials. The building’s intricate front and rear facades, composed entirely in cast iron, were once common in downtown . . . — Map (db m101784) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — G. Krug & Son
"There is hardly a building in Baltimore that doesn't contain something we made, even if it is only a nail." So boasted Theodore Krug, heir to the oldest continuously working iron shop in the country. For more than 170 years artisans here have . . . — Map (db m6619) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Grace and St. Peter's Church
Built for Grace Church in 1852, this was one of the first Gothic Revival churches in the South to use Connecticut brownstone. St. Peter's Church, founded in 1802, and Grace Church, founded in 1850, were united in 1912. This union is symbolized by . . . — Map (db m6013) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — H. Irvine Keyser
This site and these buildings were presented to the Maryland Historical Society as a memorial to my husband H. Irvine Keyser of Baltimore. Obit May 7, 1916. A member of the Society 1873 to 1916. — Map (db m2527) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — In Full GloryStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
At home in the city credited with helping to turn the tide for Americans in the War of 1812, the collections of the Maryland Historical Society preserve evidence of the people who live this history. The Center for Maryland History has the nation’s . . . — Map (db m79842) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — John Eager Howard
This park and sculpture commemorates Revolutionary War hero, benefactor and statesman John Eager Howard. Howard entered the Revolutionary Army at age 24, and soon gained military fame for his skillful and heroic use of the bayonet in the Battle of . . . — Map (db m5985) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — King Gambrinus, 1879
King Gambrinus originally stood in a niche above the door at John Frederick Wiessner and Sons’ Baltimore brewery. It is the earliest surviving zinc sculpture of this popular icon of the brewing industry in the United States.

In the second half . . . — Map (db m60959) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Monument Place
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m131340) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — On To YorktownWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route — National Historic Trail —
Our nation never had more at risk than it did in September 1781. The American Revolutionary War—the War for independence—had raged for nearly six years. More than 4,000 American and French troops, allied in their fight against the . . . — Map (db m60958) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Provident Savings Bank
This imposing building, appropriately designed by Joseph Evans Sperry to suggest an old treasure chest, is the home of Provident Savings bank, the father of branch banking among mutual savings banks of the nation. Incorporated in 1886 with the . . . — Map (db m6653) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — South Union Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115206) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Striving for Civil Liberties: The Progressives of Mount Vernon
Baltimore’s wealthy not only created the rich architectural setting of Mount Vernon Place, but pioneered modern philanthropy. With the founding of the George Peabody Institute in 1857, George Peabody influenced many other wealthy Baltimoreans . . . — Map (db m79854) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — The Baltimore & Frederick-Town TurnpikeA Transportation Revolution started here
Maryland toll roads helped revolutionize American travel. The Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike began with a tollgate, placed near this corner in 1807. For a few cents, you could head west on a “smooth” road that was the ancestor of . . . — Map (db m5700) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — The Enoch Pratt House
Enoch Pratt (1806-1896) moved to Baltimore in 1831 to launch a wholesale hardware business on South Charles Street. By 1851 he had invested in western Maryland coal mines and iron foundries in the Baltimore neighborhood of Canton. He made his own . . . — Map (db m10250) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Bromo Arts District — Westside
The Westside of Downtown Baltimore boasts an astonishing variety of architectural styles from early 19th century Federal townhouses to Reconstruction-era cast-iron facades to Art Deco storefronts. The one-time heart of the City, the Westside's . . . — Map (db m115207) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton — Baltimore Regional TrailA House Divided — War on the Chesapeake Bay —
During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Maryland's residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when . . . — Map (db m79687) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton — Captain John O'Donnell1749-1805
Captain John O’Donnell, the founder of the Canton Community, was a man of great vision and accomplishment. He initiated trade between Canton, China and Baltimore in 1785 operating his own merchant sailing vessels. This public square once the site of . . . — Map (db m62256) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton — Former GloryStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
The mouth of Harris Creek was once part of Baltimore’s thriving maritime industry. David Stodder began building ships here in the 1780s. The first U.S. Navy frigate, Constellation, launched from Stodders Shipyard in 1797 and played an active role . . . — Map (db m79670) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton — Historic Canton
Through the efforts of the Canton Improvement Association this old and densely populated ethnic neighborhood was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The two-story red brick row houses are especially noteworthy for their hand . . . — Map (db m2430) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton — Honor Roll
"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain." 1941 World War II 1945 Michael P. Angelonga U.S.A. Joseph Balek U.S.A. Jess Barton U.S.A. Andrew Baumer U.S.A. Kilian J. Buettner U.S.A. Carroll L. Caples . . . — Map (db m145466) WM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton — The Canton Library
This branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library was built in and opened for use in 1886, one of four given to the city of Baltimore by Enoch Pratt, a great philanthropist of that era. It is the only one of that group still in use as a library. Pratt . . . — Map (db m2450) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton — The Old Police Station
[Left plaque] On this site stood The Old Police Station Erected 1879 Commissioners William Carmichael E.W. Stiefel J.H. Millender G.W. Bucher Builder G.A. Boyden Architect Rebuilt . . . — Map (db m128744) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Canton Park — Korean War Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to those Marylanders who served and died in the "Forgotten War" Korea June 25, 1950-July 27, 1953 [Names listed] — Map (db m128743) WM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — 1917 – 1918
The residents of the Twenty First Ward as a lasting expression of their gratitude and affection have placed this tablet as a testimonial to the young men of this community, who in a spirit of unselfish patriotism answered their country’s call in the . . . — Map (db m41354) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Camp CarrollFrom Plantation to Federal Camp
This land was part of a 2,568-acre tract named Georgia Plantation, that Charles Carroll purchased in 1732. By 1760, his son Charles Carroll, a lawyer, had constructed a Georgian summer home, Mount Clare. the Carroll family lived here until 1852. . . . — Map (db m2537) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Carroll Park
Baltimore’s Park Commission purchased portions of the Mount Clare estate between 1890 and 1907 to provide a large landscaped park for the city’s southwestern neighborhoods. The Olmsted Brothers firm helped the city develop plans to protect the . . . — Map (db m41430) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Carroll Park at the Golf Course — Gwynns Falls Trail —
Native Americans once traversed this stream where nearby at Gwynns Run in 1669, Richard Gwinn, the stream’s namesake, established a trading post. Next to the trail today is the nine-hole executive Carroll Park Golf Course, one of the five operated . . . — Map (db m41426) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Mount Clare
This outstanding Georgian mansion, built between 1754 and 1768, was the home of Charles Carroll, Barrister and framer of Maryland’s first Constitution and Declaration of Rights. Carroll and his wife Margaret Tilghman made Mount Clare a center of . . . — Map (db m3152) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Mount Clare
1754–1914. This oldest colonial structure of Baltimore was built in 1754 upon the estate known as “Georgia Plantation” by Charles Carroll, Barrister 1723–1783 One of the foremost patriots of . . . — Map (db m41351) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Mount ClareFreedom Seekers at Georgia Plantation — National Underground Railroad-Network to Freedom —
In 1760, Mount Clare was built as the summer home of Charles Carroll, Barrister. Mount Clare was the center of Georgia, Charles Carroll’s 800-acre Patapsco River Plantation. The estate supported grain fields and grist mills along the Gwynn’s Falls, . . . — Map (db m61209) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Mount Clare, the Georgia Plantation
In the late 1760’s, the Mount Clare mansion was built by Charles Carroll, Barrister and his wife, Margaret Tilghman, as their summer home. The mansion was located on the grounds of the original plantation, Georgia, and included an orangery, . . . — Map (db m2533) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Of Fords, Felles, and Falls
The Susquehannock and Algonquian Indians had long traveled through this area when Captain John Smith explored and mapped the Chesapeake Bay region in 1608 As the Susquehannocks went from Pennsylvania to the bay, they crossed the Gwynns Falls stream . . . — Map (db m6390) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Carroll Park — Restoring Water Quality
After centuries of abuse, the Gwynns Falls is being restored as a healthy stream. Government, civic groups, and scientists monitor water quality here and work together to implement restoration projects. Volunteers pick up trash, plant trees and . . . — Map (db m6389) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Cherry Hill — Maryland Vietnam Veterans Memorial
(Panel on the left) This Memorial honors the men and women of the State of Maryland who served in the Armed Forces of our nation in the Vietnam War, with special tribute to those who lost their lives or who remain missing in action. Their names . . . — Map (db m65317) WM
Maryland (Baltimore), Cherry Hill Park — Cherry Hill
Part of the city but green as a suburb, Cherry Hill is a distinctive African American planned community. Cherry Hill was established to provide housing for blacks who moved to Baltimore to work in industries during World War II. Originally it . . . — Map (db m114590) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Cold Spring — Ruscombe
“Ruscombe” (meaning brown hill) was built in 1866 by James Wood Tyson, the younger brother of Jesse Tyson who built the nearby Cylburn Mansion. By the 1860’s, the Tyson dynasty, long one of Baltimore’s pre-eminent Quaker and . . . — Map (db m114587) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Coldstream - Homestead - Montebello — Patapsco Friends Meeting House
On this site was erected Patapsco Friends Meeting House 6th Mo. 12th, 1681 is the earliest record of this meeting Removed to Aisquith & Fayette Sts. Baltimore Town 2nd Mo. 22nd, 1781 — Map (db m65715) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Curtis Bay — Brooklyn-Curtis Bay Veterans
This memorial is dedicated to all the Brooklyn-Curtis Bay veterans living and deceased by Brooklyn-Curtis Bay Post 187 American Legion, Department of Maryland. Dedicated May 28, 1995. — Map (db m114582) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Douglas Homes — Site of Poe’s Death
This structure, now the east building of Church Hospital, was erected in 1836, to house the Washington Medical College. Edgar Allan Poe, author, and poet, was brought here, ill and semi-conscious, on October 3, 1849 and died four days later. In . . . — Map (db m2426) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — A Tribute to Our Unsung Heroes
The heroes walk program was established by Mayor William Donald Schaefer in 1986, to honor those persons who have unselfishly given their time, labor and talents to help improve the quality of life in our community without ever seeking reward or . . . — Map (db m2709) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Acquiring Fame: Mount Vernon CelebritiesMount Vernon Cultural Walk
In 1903, the Belvedere Hotel became the crowning architectural achievement in the neighborhood. Its signature thirty-five-foot mansard roof has become the symbol for upper Mount Vernon. In the late 1970s, the building was rehabilitated into . . . — Map (db m102915) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Alex Brown Investment Banking Company — Historic Site —
On this site in 1900 was constructed the banking headquarters for the Alex Brown Investment Banking Company, America's oldest banking house in continuous operation. This building survived the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 with evidence of that event . . . — Map (db m7042) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Alex. Brown & Sons Company Building
This building was home to Alex. Brown & Sons Company, founded in 1800, the first and oldest continually operating investment banking firm in the United States. The building represents the firm's and Baltimore's importance in the financial world of . . . — Map (db m7041) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Baltimore Chamber of Commerce
Until the 1850's, Baltimore's grain trading took place in "counting rooms" of individual merchants or on Bowley's Wharf where an effort was made to standardize corn and grain prices by displaying grain samples on barrel heads and window ledges. . . . — Map (db m127236) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Baltimore City Courthouse
This “noble pile” as it was described at the dedication of January 8, 1900, is the third courthouse built on Monument Square. When Calvert Street was leveled in 1784, the original courthouse—site of the May 1774 Stamp Act Protest . . . — Map (db m89370) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Baltimore City Fire Department
Dedicated to the Members of the Baltimore City Fire Department, Past, Present and Future. — Map (db m2704) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Baltimore College of Dental Surgery
This tablet erected by the Maryland State Dental Association marks the original site of the Baltimore College of Dental Survery Founded in the year 1840 the first dental college in the world. — Map (db m7037) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Baltimore's Great Fire
Started 10-48 A.M. February 7 1904 Under control 11-30 A.M. February 8 1904 Property destroyed - $100 000 000 Insurance paid - $32 000 000 Acres covered - 140 Lives lost - none Beginning at Liberty and German Streets the fire . . . — Map (db m7321) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m5787) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Boundary Lines of Baltimore Town1729
[This marker portrays the subject in a pictorial manner. It shows the major streets of Baltimore in 1729. The six stars on the map represent the locations of this and five other identical markers.]Map (db m7483) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Brown’s Arcade
Named for the governor who developed it, Brown's Arcade is a unique and early example of adaptive reuse in Baltimore. The four buildings that make up the Arcade were originally constructed as rowhouses in the 1820's. After the Great Fire of 1904, . . . — Map (db m5565) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Building a City and a Nation: At the CrossroadsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Twice in the 20th century, Baltimoreans completely reinvented their downtown-by necessity in the early 1900s and by plan mid-century.

In 1904, Baltimore’s downtown vanished when 140 acres were destroyed by fire. Within ten years, Baltimore had . . . — Map (db m103262) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Canton House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m127233) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Cecilius Calvert1606   1675 — Fovnder of Maryland —
Cecilivs Calvert Baron Baltimore of Baltimore in the Kingdom of Ireland•Absolvte Lord and Proprietary of the Provinces of Maryland and Avalon in America•Who on November 13, 1633 with the co-operation and assent of the first Colonists, proclaimed in . . . — Map (db m89251) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Chamber of Commerce Building
Built between 1904 and 1905, this Renaissance Revival building was once the commercial hub of Baltimore's grain trade. Standing five-stories tall and extending the length of a city block, the building was home to the Baltimore Chamber of Commerce, . . . — Map (db m127235) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Charles Center & One Charles Center
The 14-block Charles Center project, begun in 1958, was the first piece of Baltimore's nationally recognized downtown Renaissance. the 33-acre project was strategically placed between the financial district on the east side and the retail district . . . — Map (db m88236) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Charles H. Dorsey, Jr.(1930-1995)
Family man, attorney, civic and church leader, mentor, lover of life, thinker, stargazer Continuing the family tradition, Charles H. Dorsey made the fight for justice his lifelong vocation. As a young man, he fought for civil rights with the NAACP . . . — Map (db m6292) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — City Hall
When City Hall was completed in 1875, it was admired as a marvel of style, elegance and technology. The Second Empire design was the first commission of 22-year old George Frederick. Wendel Bollman, a Baltimore engineer, designed the 227-foot high . . . — Map (db m102322) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Continental Trust Building
The Continental Trust Building, constructed in 1902, is the only building in Baltimore designed by Daniel H. Burnham, a major figure in the Commercial Style that developed in Chicago at the turn of the century and produced the American skyscraper. . . . — Map (db m6442) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Creating an American Culture: The Golden Age of BaltimoreMount Vernon Cultural Walk
During the early 19th century, Baltimore became, for a brief time, America’s second largest and fastest growing city. Baltimore led the world in shipbuilding, sail-cloth production, and flour milling. On Cathedral Hill, Baltimore’s business leaders . . . — Map (db m107314) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Davidge Hall
Davidge Hall, constructed in 1812, is named for the first dean of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dr. John B. Davidge. Noted for its unique classical appearance, it is the oldest building in the country used continuously for medical . . . — Map (db m15057) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Discover Baltimore: The Monumental CityHeritage Walk
The Battle Monument was America's first public war memorial and the first since antiquity to honor the common soldier. Designed by Maximilian Godefroy, its construction began in 1815, shortly after the event it commemorates: in 1814, after the . . . — Map (db m89395) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Discover Baltimore’s Changing SkylineHeritage Walk
Baltimore’s central business district has constantly reinvented itself in response to changes in building technologies, business practices, and architectural styles. Originally, detached houses that doubled as shops and offices lined the streets. . . . — Map (db m103260) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Discover Holliday Street: A Stage for Culture, Politics, and WorshipHeritage Walk
The inscription on the main text is not legible.

(The inscription under the images on the left) 1st image For more than a century the Holliday Street Theater entertained Baltimoreans from a site across the street from City Hall. The original . . . — Map (db m102450) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Downtown
Welcome to Downtown Baltimore-a unique City with southern charm and northern distinction.

Known the world over for being friendly and hospitable, it’s no wonder Baltimore is often referred to as “Charm City.” A place which takes a . . . — Map (db m103921) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus
July 10, 1916 Hamburg, Germany November 20, 2004 Baltimore, MD Physician, Humanist, Author Working as an interpreter with Scandinavian political prisoners held by the Third Reich during World War II, she bravely afforded many medical aid and . . . — Map (db m2710) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Dr. William V. Lockwood
Dr. William V. Lockwood was the first Vice President Emeritus of Baltimore Community College. His vision, uncompromising work ethic, and life long devotion to educational advancement made him instrumental in transforming the dream of the Harbor . . . — Map (db m115221) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Enoch Pratt Free Library
In 1882, the merchant Enoch Pratt, wishing to make a gift to his adopted city which would benefit all of her citizens, gave Baltimore $1,058,000 to establish a public library. The original building fronted on Mulberry Street. Designed by the . . . — Map (db m5561) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Entering the Automobile Age: The Horseless RevolutionMount Vernon Cultural Walk
The development of the nation depended on transportation, and Baltimore led America in building the first long-distance railroad, one of the earliest commuter rail systems, and one of the first electric streetcar systems. Baltimore also contributed . . . — Map (db m102865) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Expanding the American Intellect: Icons and IconoclastsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
“My library,” Enoch Pratt said, “shall be for all, rich and poor without distinction of race or color, who, when properly accredited, can take out the books if they will handle them carefully and return them.” In 1886, with . . . — Map (db m88270) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — First Gas Street Lamp in America
Site of the First Gas Street Lamp in America February 7, 1817 Rededicated February 7, 2017 • 200 Yrs • Baltimore Gas and Electric Company — Map (db m127234) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Fish Market
Baltimore's first fish market stood near the site of this structure as searly as 1773. The first market building, Centre Market, was authorized by act of the State legislature in 1784. It was also known as Marsh Market since it was built on Thomas . . . — Map (db m7322) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — George Washington Bicentennial Marker
This elm has watched the growth of "Baltimore Towne" for over 100 years, on former estate of John Eager Howard, Revolutionary and 1812 Officer and fifth governor of Maryland. Here, in "Howard's Woods", Count De Rochambeau's troops camped, 1782, . . . — Map (db m5563) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Gertrude Stein1874 - 1946 — Writer - American —
Lived here with her brother Leo Stein while a student at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine from 1897 to 1900. — Map (db m109372) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Greek Orthodox Cathedral
The circular stone church is one of the most unusual buildings in Baltimore. Designed by Charles E. Cassell in Romanesque style with Byzantine touches, it was built for the Associate Reformed Church in 1889. Eighteen polished granite columns support . . . — Map (db m102335) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Henry August Rowland House
. . . — Map (db m6003) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Holocaust Memorial
The Holocaust, the German attempt to annihilate European Jewry between 1933 and 1945, took the lives of six million Jews. Although genocide was not unprecedented, the Holocaust was unique not just in its numerical magnitude. Never before had a . . . — Map (db m103226) HM WM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — In Memorial1955 - 2005
Six members of the Baltimore City Fire Department died in the line of duty while fighting a fire at the Tru-Fit clothing company 507-509 East Baltimore Street on February 16, 1955. Batallion Chief Francis P. O'Brien, Fourth Batallion • Fire . . . — Map (db m7320) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Inner Harbor Lofts
This complex, once three separate structures built between 1886 and 1905, hosed a wide variety of industries. These included a shoe manufacturer, the nation's leading straw hat company, (M.S. Levy), one of the largest lithographers in the south, . . . — Map (db m6984) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Inspired WordsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
After 10 harrowing days aboard ship and witnessing the British bombardment of Fort McHenry, Francis Scott Key spent his first night ashore at the Indian Queen Tavern, September 16-17, 1814. The inn operated at this site until the 1830s.

Moved by . . . — Map (db m79849) WM

Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — James Cardinal Gibbons
At this site, on July 23, 1834, was born America’s first Prince of the Church, James Cardinal Gibbons. Although world-renowned for the influence and profoundness of his thought he was always the parish priest striving for the salvation of . . . — Map (db m2703) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — James Cardinal Gibbons Monument
James Cardinal Gibbons Archbishop of Baltimore Devoted Churchman Exemplary Citizen Friend of Humanity July 23, 1834 March 24, 1921 Citizens of many faiths hereby honor a great American — Map (db m102377) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — John H. B. Latrobe House
On an evening in October, 1833, three of Baltimore's most discerning gentlemen were gathered around a table in the back parlor of this house. Fortified with “some old wine and some good cigars,” John Pendleton Kennedy, James H. Miller . . . — Map (db m4939) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Joshua Johnson
[The majority of the text on the photocopy of the picture of the marker is unreadable. It ends as follows:] His painting now hang in many museums, including the Metropolitan in New York and the National Gallery in Washington, D.C. Below are two . . . — Map (db m9478) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr.
In Honor of Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr. Under the whose Leadership The Charles Center Project Was undertaken 1958 by his friends and The Citizens of Baltimore. — Map (db m88296) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Moving Up To Cathedral Hill: Three Centuries of ChangeMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Saratoga Street marks your arrival at Cathedral Hill, a neighborhood packed with three centuries of architecture. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Baltimoreans built some of their finest mansions and churches on Cathedral Hill. Today’s St. . . . — Map (db m103844) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Old Post Office
This structure, designed by James A. Wetmore and completed in 1932, is the second post office to occupy this site. Erected at a cost of $3.3 million, the neo-classical building, with its marble halls and paneled court-rooms, contained the most . . . — Map (db m6160) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Old St. Paul's
St. Paul's Church (Episcopal) stands on the only property that has remained under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town in 1730. In that year, Lot. No. 19, the highest point in the new town, was granted to St. Paul's Parish; . . . — Map (db m92305) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — On This Location
On this location, from the stage of the Holliday Street Theatre, The Star Spangled Banner, written by Francis Scott Key, was rendered for the first time publicly November 12, 1814. — Map (db m2707) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Peale's Baltimore Museum
A pioneer art historical and scientific museum. Erected 1818 by Rembrandt Peale. Gas lighting demonstrated june 13 1816. Occupied as city hall 1830-1875. Rembrandt Peale 1778-1860 Distinguished Maryland artist, naturalist and technologist . . . — Map (db m6306) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Peale's Baltimore Museum - 1814
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m6304) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Pope John Paul II Monument
Pope John Paul II on the occasion of his visit to Baltimore October 8 1995 Maryland holds a special place in the history of American Catholicism, indeed in the religious history of the nation. It was here that religious freedom and . . . — Map (db m102379) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Rectory of Old St. Paul’s Parish
Incorporated 1692, 37 years before Baltimore Town itself, St. Paul’s moved to this vicinity in 1731. It was City’s first place of public worship. this rectory, the “parsonage on the hill” built 1788–1791 on half acre lot given by . . . — Map (db m2538) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — Rembrandt Peale1778-1860
Rembrandt Peale, founder of the Gas and Light Company of Baltimore (now Baltimore Gas and Electric Company), was a famous portrait painter from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He had a unique and groundbreaking connection to Baltimore.

In 1816, to . . . — Map (db m101657) HM

Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — St. Alphonsus Parish World War II Memorial
To the glory of God and in honor of the 581 men and women from St. Alphonsus Parish who served their country in the Second World War 1941-1945.

(Listing of the men and women)

“Eternal rest grant unto them; O Lord, and let perpetual . . . — Map (db m103778) WM

Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Battle Monument
Battle of North Point, 12th September, A.D. 1814, and of the Independence of the United States, the thirty-ninth Bombardment of Fort McHenry, 15th September, A.D. 1814, and of the Independence of the United States, the thirty-ninth. James . . . — Map (db m89172) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Battle Monument
This Monument was erected by the citizens of Baltimore under the management of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety in honor of the gallant defenders of this City and Nation who fell in the Battle of North Point and during the . . . — Map (db m89203) HM WM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Belvedere
Host to the mighty, famous, and infamous, the Belvedere Hotel has welcomed a steady stream of celebrities since it opened in 1903. Rudolph Valentino, Sarah Berhardt, Al Jolson, and Mark Twain are only a few of the notables who have swept through the . . . — Map (db m6017) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Burk Building1980
This building stands on the site of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Building circa 1880 — Map (db m131343) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Candler BuildingFirst Operational Headquarters of the Social Security System
From 1936 - 1960, the Candler Building served as the operational headquarters of the U.S. Social Security system. It was here that the first Social Security numbers were issued, the records were kept and the benefits computed for millions of . . . — Map (db m145463) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Equitable Building
This building, designed in 1889 in the Richardson-Sullivan tradition by Charles L. Carson and Joseph Evans Sperry, was considered the first skyscraper to be erected in Baltimore. It is the oldest of the existing structures on Monument Square and . . . — Map (db m6443) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Garrett Building
This 13-story building, completed in 1913, was designed by Baltimore architects J. B. Noel Wyatt and William G. Nolting. Reflecting a mixture of styles, this transitional building combines the Chicago windows, flat wall panes and flat skyline . . . — Map (db m7040) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Harris Bus
The race to invent a gasoline-powered motor vehicle began in earnest in the 1890's. Most investors started with the modest idea of a two-seater, but William Thomas Harris, an engineer of this city, was more ambitious. He proposed a 15-passenger bus. . . . — Map (db m6309) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The LenoreBaltimore Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
Rising ten stories in the heart of the city’s judiciary district, the Lenore not only exhibits impressive architecture but is also linked to the nation’s banking history. Now an apartment building, the Lenore was once home to the Baltimore Branch . . . — Map (db m101527) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Downtown — The Lovely Lane Meeting House
Upon this site stood from 1774 to 1786 The Lovely Lane Meeting House in which was organized December 1784 The Methodist Episcopal Church in The United States of America — Map (db m7039) HM

705 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 505
Paid Advertisement
May. 30, 2020