Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Beaufort County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Alexander Stewart Marker seen along Craven Street, looking west image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
Alexander Stewart Marker seen along Craven Street, looking west
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-48 — Alexander Stewart
Anglican minister to N.C., 1753-71. Served parish of St. Thomas & as chaplain to Gov. Arthur Dobbs. Erected first glebe house on record in the colony. — Map (db m65664) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — Bath African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
This site marks the former location of the Bath African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. The AME Zion denomination, chartered in New York City in 1801, began in the 1790s when discrimination against African American Christians forced them to . . . — Map (db m65673) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-5 — Christopher Galeca. 1679-1735
Chief Justice of colony of North Carolina, 1712. Lived nearby at "Kirby Grange," his plantation. — Map (db m65701) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — Colonial Bath
Bath, originally the Indian town of Pampticough, was settled by white men about 1690 and incorporated in 1705. It is the oldest town in North Carolina. Its first commissioners were John Lawson, Joel Martin, and Simon Alderson. Here was . . . — Map (db m64799) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — BB-1 — Colonial Bath
Bath, oldest town in North Carolina, was established in 1705. The first settlers were French Huguenots from Virginia. Among the early English inhabitants were John Lawson, author of the first history of Carolina (1709) and Christopher Gale, Chief . . . — Map (db m67574) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-47 — Edward Teach
Notorious pirate called "Blackbeard." Lived in Bath while Charles Eden was governor. Killed at Ocracoke, 1718. — Map (db m64796) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-21 — First Post Road
The road from New England to Charleston, over which mail was first carried regularly in North Carolina, 1738-39, passed near this spot. — Map (db m65358) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-6 — First Public Library
In North Carolina was set up near this spot about 1700. Books sent from England by Rev. Thos. Bray. — Map (db m66103) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — BB-2 — Historic Bath
(MAP OF TOWN OF BATH) Bath, the oldest incorporated town in North Carolina, was established in 1705. By the 1708 the town consisted of twelve houses and a population of fifty people. Among the early inhabitants were John Lawson, Surveyor General . . . — Map (db m67575) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-56 — James Adams Floating Theatre
Toured coastal towns, 1913-1941. Edna Ferber's 1925 visit to ship, then docked nearby, was basis for her novel Show Boat.Map (db m66515) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-25 — John F. Tompkins
Agricultural reformer, a founder of the State Fair, published and edited the "Farmer's Journal", 1852-53, in Bath. This was his home. — Map (db m67567) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-63 — John Garziaca. 1690-1744
Anglican minister, born in Spain. Served parish, 1733-1744, in spite of difficulties inherent to life in colonial N.C. — Map (db m67170) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — John Lawson1674-1711
Naturalist, explorer and surveyor general for the Lords Proprietors, John Lawson traveled the interior of the Carolina colony in 1700-01. He described the 550-mile journey in A New Voyage to Carolina, published in 1709. Lawson was killed by . . . — Map (db m67573) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-27 — Matthew Rowan
Acting governor, 1753-54. Councilor, assemblyman, and Surveyor General. Merchant in the Irish trade. His home was here. — Map (db m67566) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — BB-3 — Palmer - Marsh House
Colonial home of Colonel Robert Palmer, Surveyor-General of North Carolina 1753-1771 and Collector of Customs for the Port of Bath. Built c. 1744, probably by Michael Coutanche, it is one of the oldest surviving dwelling-houses in the State. . . . — Map (db m66701) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-62 — Port Of Bath
Colony's first town, incorporated March 8, 1705. Home to first port of entry, 1716; exported naval stores. — Map (db m65501) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-3 — St. Thomas Church
Episcopal. Oldest church building in the state of North Carolina; was constructed in 1734. — Map (db m67568) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — B-17 — Fort Hill
Site of Confederate batteries on Pamlico River which enabled General D. H. Hill's forces to besiege Washington in spring of 1863. Five miles east. — Map (db m52837) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — B-46 — Trinity Church
Episcopal. Originally Blount’s Chapel. Built ca. 1774 by Rev. Nathaniel Blount. Moved in 1939 from original site nearby. — Map (db m52776) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Chocowinity — C-36 — Trinity School
Episcopal boys school founded in 1851 by The Rev. N.C. Hughes. Open off and on until 1908. Many students entered ministry. Stood here. — Map (db m52835) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), near Bunyan — B-8 — Granville Grant
Formed northern half of colony of North Carolina. Its southern boundary was surveyed in 1743 to a point near here. — Map (db m65275) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-74 — African Americans Defend Washington
Prior to formation of 1st N.C. Colored Volunteers, about 100 black men were armed to aid Union forces during the siege of Washington in 1863. — Map (db m114466) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-15 — Attack On Washington
Town taken by Federals, March, 1862. Confederate efforts to recapture it failed, 1862 and 1863. — Map (db m64758) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-16 — Burning Of Washington
The town was burned and shelled by evacuating United States troops in April, 1864. — Map (db m64759) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-36 — C. C. Cambreleng
Congressman from New York, 1821-39; House leader for Jackson & Van Buren; minister to Russia; merchant. Was born in this town, 1786. — Map (db m65820) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-33 — Daniel G. Fowle
Governor, 1889-91, state Adjutant General, 1863, Confederate officer, superior court judge, state legislator. His home was here. — Map (db m65862) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-28 — DeMille Family
Home of motion picture producer Cecil B. DeMille & his father, playwright Henry C. DeMille, stood five blocks west. — Map (db m65580) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-14 — Dr. Susan Dimock
Native of Washington, Zurich graduate, head of a Boston hospital, 1st woman member N.C. Medical Society, 1872. Her girlhood home was here. — Map (db m66169) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Havens Memorial Building
This building which served the thriving shipping industry of early Washington was built in the early 1800's by Jonathan Havens (1744-1828). Its restoration in 1979 was made possible by a gift from Jonathan Havens Moss in memory of the Havens family. . . . — Map (db m70501) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-51 — John Gray Blount1752~1833
Merchant & land speculator. Shipping interests across eastern N.C.; also invested in western N.C. land. Home stood here. — Map (db m67373) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-65 — John H. Small1858-1946
Congressman, 1899-1921. Chair, Cmte. on Rivers & Harbors; champion of Intracoastal Waterway. Home stood 40 yds. E. — Map (db m67564) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-24 — Josephus Daniels
Secretary of the Navy, 1913-21; Ambassador to Mexico; editor; author. Birthplace stood here. — Map (db m67565) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-61 — Lindsay C. Warren1889-1976
U.S. Comptroller General, 1940-54; Member, U.S. House 1925-40. Sponsor Cape Hatteras National Seashore Act. Lived here. — Map (db m67563) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Oakdale CemeteryTo Our Confederate Dead
After the Civil War, women’s associations throughout the South sought to gather the Confederate dead from battlefield burial sites and reinter the remains in proper cemeteries, while Confederate monuments were erected in courthouse squares and other . . . — Map (db m76917) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-39 — Siege Of Washington
Confederates failed to recapture town, March- April, 1863, but held it March-Nov., 1864. — Map (db m64757) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Siege of WashingtonMarch 30 - April 20, 1863
To protect Confederate supply lines and to gather much-need provisions in eastern North Carolina, Gen. Daniel H. Hill planned demonstrations against Union-occupied New Bern and Washington in March 1863. He acted under orders from Gen. James . . . — Map (db m70502) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-59 — St. John the Evangelist Church
The first Roman Catholic church in North Carolina. Consecrated, 1829. Burned by Federal troops, 1864. Stood one block east. — Map (db m67562) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Tranter's CreekBrothers in Battle
After Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside’s army captured Roanoke Island in February 1862, Federal troops occupied New Bern the next month and then secured the undefended town of Washington on March 20. Although several weeks passed with only a few . . . — Map (db m70506) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — USS PicketBattle of Washington
During the summer of 1892, Union forces firmly controlled eastern North Carolina, with garrisons stationed at Plymouth, Washington, New Bern and elsewhere. Federal detachments raided the countryside at will, while Confederate . . . — Map (db m64899) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — Washington, North Carolina
To commemorate the 200th Anniversary of Washington, North Carolina The first town in the United States to be named for General George Washington Originally known as "town at the forks of the Tar River." It was settled . . . — Map (db m70505) HM

40 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.