Bee County was created in 1857 from parts of five neighboring counties. The first county seat was located seven miles east of this site, and the first commissioners court was held on the banks of Medio Creek in February 1858. The city's earliest . . . — — Map (db m32200) HM
Long before Mexico granted land (1834) on Poesta Creek to the first settlers, Anne Burke and James Heffernan, savage Indians roamed this valley at will.
Their colony, although successful at first, soon met disaster. In 1836 James Heffernan, his . . . — — Map (db m32211) HM
The Commercial National Bank of Beeville traces its history to January 1893 when several prominent citizens met to organize a financial institution. Elected as officers were Dr. L.B. Creath, A.G. Kennedy, John I. Clare, and D.C. Stone. The bank . . . — — Map (db m32293) HM
Early models of the A4 entered service in 1956 and were produced over a longer time than any other jet in the world. Its simplicity and effectiveness allowed numerous improved models to be developed. The A4 series was used extensively in Vietnam and . . . — — Map (db m32265) HM
Beeville, the county seat of Bee County since 1860, did not have a secure bank until 1890, when the First National Bank of Beeville opened for business. Prior to that year, the town's only banking facility was A.C. Jones' general store, where some . . . — — Map (db m32296) HM
Oldest business structure in Beeville, erected about 1867 on east side of courthouse square, near Poesta Creek. General store, lodging house, post office. Pioneer western style, with southern porches.
Built by G.W. McClanahan, Beeville's first . . . — — Map (db m32242) HM
Named by the Spaniards about 1800 because of its midway position between the San Antonio and Nueces Rivers. Rises in Karnes County; empties into Mission River. Crossed by explorers, padres, soldiers, settlers who traveled on three early ox-cart . . . — — Map (db m32271) HM
This historic African American burial ground is associated with two congregations organized in the 1880s. Many buried here were members of Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church or Jones Chapel United Methodist Church. Some burials took place prior to . . . — — Map (db m32235) HM
Settlement dates from about 1850. First town, 2 miles west, was called San Domingo for its location near junction of San Domingo and dry Medio Creeks. After railroad was built, 1886, citizens moved to Walton (new flag station) to be on line. Name . . . — — Map (db m121886) HM
Earliest known residents were Karankawa Indians who named creek. On this stream was one of the most famous ranches in early Texas, occupied in 1805 by Don Martin de Leon, who in 1824 founded Victoria.
In 1830's Irish colonists came by way of . . . — — Map (db m32334) HM
A few yards south passes Papalote Creek, crossed by the fierce Karankawa Indians who found kite-shaped pebbles and named it Papalote, which means,"kite-shaped" or "wing-shaped". Along its banks came the leaders of the Power and Hewetson colonists, . . . — — Map (db m32345) HM
The Rev. Peter Unzicker led a group of Illinois settlers here in 1906. Buying 53.4 acres of land of the original Uranga Grant and later Chittim-Miller Ranch, he founded Tuleta, named for the daughter of J. M. Chittim. A rail depot and post office . . . — — Map (db m121884) HM