Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Berkeley County South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Brabant Plantation Marker, looking southbound along State Road 8-98 image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, September 26, 2009
Brabant Plantation Marker, looking southbound along State Road 8-98
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cainhoy — 8-12 — Brabant Plantation
On Cainhoy Road (State Highway 8-98), on the right when traveling south.
Residence of Rt. Rev. Robert Smith, who was born in Norfolk, England, in 1732. He was consecrated in Philadelphia in 1795, as the first Episcopal Bishop of South Carolina. He died in 1801, and is buried in St. Philip's Churchyard, Charleston, S.C. . . . — Map (db m23801) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cainhoy — 8-13 — St. Thomas Church
On Cainhoy Road (State Highway 8-98).
The Parish of St. Thomas was established by Act of Assembly Nov. 30, 1706. The first church was erected in 1708 and destroyed by forest fire in 1815. The present ediface was erected in 1819. — Map (db m23368) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Carnes Crossroads — 8-43 — Varner Town Indian Community
On South Live Oak Drive (Alternate U.S. 17) near Benjamin Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Varner Town (or Varnertown) is a distinct Native American community including descendants of the Etiwan, Catawba, Cherokee, Edisto and other area tribes. This community, located near Goose Creek, was named for William Varner (d. 1927) and his wife . . . — Map (db m23515) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Charleston — Star of the West
On Lee Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
In the early dawn of January 9, 1861, the first shot of the War Between the States was fired from Morris Island by Citadel cadets under the command of Major Peter Fayssoux Stevens. The cadets opened fire with 24 pound siege guns on a Federal ship, . . . — Map (db m67853) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Charleston — The Citadel Bulldog
On Jenkins Avenue at Jones Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Jenkins Avenue.
In memory of Major Sam M. Savas, Jr., CE, USA Citadel 1951 Died in Vietnam, 1965 In memory of Lt. Sam M. Savas, III, USN Naval Aviator Citadel 1979 Died in the service of his country October, 1985 — Map (db m67855) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cordesville — 8-25 — Francis Marion
On Dr. Evans Drive (State Road 8-44) near Hard Pinch Road, on the right when traveling south.
Acording to family information, Francis Marion, brigadier general of the S.C. Militia during the American Revolution, was born near here on Goatfield Plantation. He was a member of the First Provincial Congress, fought in the battles of Parker's . . . — Map (db m22968) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cordesville — 8-8 — Mepkin Plantation
On Dr. Evans Road (State Highway 8-44), on the right when traveling north.
Home of Henry Laurens, born in Charleston in 1724, died at Mepkin in 1792. President of the First and Second Councils of Safety, 1775-76. President First Provincial Congress of S.C. 1775. Vice President of S.C. 1776. President of Continental . . . — Map (db m23174) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cordesville — 8-20 — Strawberry Chapel
On Dr. Evans Road (State Road 8-44) at Strawberry Church Road, on the right when traveling south on Dr. Evans Road (State Road 8-44).
Chapel of Ease to St. John's (Biggin's Church), built about 1725 on land bequeathed by James Child, founder at this place, of the Town of Childbury. Strawberry Ferry was established here by Act of Assembly in 1705. — Map (db m22977) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — Barnet's Tavern
On Ranger Road (State Highway 132) at Old Highway 6, on the right when traveling north on Ranger Road.
Near this spot stood Barnet's Tavern, called the Forty Five Mile House, indicating its distance from Charleston. Here was the muster ground of the Eutaw State Volunteers, a company raised in 1833, to support the Ordinance of Nullification. From this . . . — Map (db m23200) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8- 22 — Berkeley County
On Old Number Six Highway (State Highway 6 / 45) at County Line Road (State Highway 8-59), on the right when traveling east on Old Number Six Highway.
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m21958) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8-24 — Cherokee Path
On Old Highway 6, on the right when traveling west.
The main Cherokee Path, which extended from the overhill towns of the Cherokee Indians in present Tennessee to Charleston, passed near here. In existence before 1730, this early trade and transportation route played a significant role in the . . . — Map (db m22852) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8-26 — Cross Post Office
On Ranger Drive (State Highway 6), on the left when traveling south.
This post office, originally named Cross Mill, was established in 1879. Adam Cross, a local storekeeper & Civil War veteran, was first postmaster. — Map (db m22745) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8-34 — Moss Grove
On Ranger Drive (State Highway 6) near Country Pond Lane, on the right when traveling south.
John J. Cross (1810~1890) bought 500 acres here in 1844 and soon expanded Moss Grove into one other most productive cotton plantations in antebellum Berkeley District. This house was built ca. 1880 for Cross's son Adam (1844~1906), who farmed here . . . — Map (db m22563) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8-15 — Thomas Sumter's Store
Near Old Number Six Highway (State Highway 6 / 45) near Nicholas Drive, on the right when traveling west.
About 1765-1767 Thomas Sumter, future hero of the American Revolution, kept a country store near this spot where the stream of colonial traffic to the Up Country divided in the fork where the Nelson's Ferry Road branched off from the Road to . . . — Map (db m22247) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-45 — Boochawee Hall
On a Lake Greenview Park walking trail near East Pandora Drive.
Marker Front: Boochawee Hall, created in 1683 by a 2,400-acre grant, was owned by two colonial governors, father and son. James Moore (d. 1706), a trader and planter, served on the Grand Council and later led “the Goose Creek . . . — Map (db m29492) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-55 — Broom Hall Plantation
On Westview Blvd. near Prospect Way, on the right when traveling north.
(Front text) Broom Hall Plantation, later called Bloom Hall and still later Bloomfield, was first granted to Edward Middleton in 1678. By 1710 this property passed to Benjamin Gibbes (d. 1722), who named it for Broom House, his ancestral . . . — Map (db m28558) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-46 — Button Hall
On Brandywine Boulevard east of North Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52).
Marker Front: This plantation was once part of Boochawee Hall, owned by Governor James Moore (d. 1706). Moore left 615 acres to his daughter Rebecca, who married Thomas Barker (d. 1715) in 1709. Barker, who planted inland rice here, served . . . — Map (db m29493) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-38 — Casey (Caice)
Marker Front: This African-American community grew up around a Methodist church founded during Reconstruction by a freedman named Casey or Caice. Its early services were under a tent, but a log cabin served as its first permanent church. In . . . — Map (db m29486) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-56 — Crowfield Plantation
On Hamlet Circle, in the median.
(Front text) Crowfield Plantation, on the headwaters of Goose Creek, was originally granted to John Berringer in 1701. John Gibbes (1696-1764), a member of the Royal Assembly, sold it in 1721 to Arthur Middleton (1681-1737), also a member . . . — Map (db m28504) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-57 — Early Indian Trading Paths / The Goose Creek Men
Near North Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52) when traveling south.
Early Indian Trading Paths One of the earliest major trading paths in the Carolina colony, dating from the first decade of English settlement 1670-1680, ran nearby. The colonists traded guns and ammunition, cloth, rum, and other goods for . . . — Map (db m27351) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-63 — French Huguenot Plantation / Freedman's Plantation
On Dasharon Lane near Hamlet Circle, on the right when traveling west.
French Huguenot Plantation Abraham Fleury, sometimes called Abraham Fleury Sieur De La Plaine, settled here about 1680. He was one of the first French Huguenot planters in Carolina. The Huguenots, Protestants who escaped the persecution of . . . — Map (db m41935) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-50 — Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek
On St. James Avenue (U.S. 176) at Farm Road, on the right when traveling south on St. James Avenue.
(Front text) Goose Creek This area has been called Goose Creek since the late 17th century. For almost 200 years after the Lords Proprietors granted large tracts to English, French Huguenot, and other planters, their plantations . . . — Map (db m27360) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-59 — Goose Creek Bridge
On Old State Road, on the right when traveling south.
[Front] The first bridge here, in use by 1680, had a raised road at either end and was built from split logs with the flat sides up, covered by sand or clay. Traffic over Goose Creek increased significantly after St. James, Goose Creek . . . — Map (db m29502) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-6 — Goose Creek Church
On Snake River Rd. 0.2 miles south of Old State Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Parish of St. James was founded by Act of Assembly in 1706. The present edifice was begun in 1714, and completed in 1719. The Royal Arms of Great Britain can still be seen over the chancel, and here is preserved the Izard Hatchment, said to be . . . — Map (db m39091) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-41 — Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall
On Liberty Hall Road.
[Front] Howe Hall Plantation, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Robert Howe, who came to S.C. in 1683. His first house here was later described as “tolerable.” Howe’s son Job (d. 1706) built a brick plantation . . . — Map (db m29524) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-42 — Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School
On Howe Hall Road near Red Bank Road, on the left when traveling east.
(Front text) Howe Hall Plantation Howe Hall Plantation was established here by Robert Howe about 1683 and passed to his son Job Howe (d. 1706), Speaker of the Commons House of Assembly 1700-05. Later owned by such prominent lowcountry . . . — Map (db m28079) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-44 — Liberty Hall Plantation
On Woodward Road at Adler Drive on Woodward Road.
Marker Front: This inland rice plantation has its origins in a 1683 grant. In 1726 Nathaniel Moore and his wife sold a 900-acre parcel to Isaac Mazyck (d. 1736). Mazyck’s son Benjamin (d. 1800), a rice planter, cattleman, and merchant, . . . — Map (db m29490) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-53 — Mount Holly Station • Mount Holly
On Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52), on the right when traveling south.
(Front text) Mount Holly Station Mount Holly Station, a depot on the Northeastern Railroad between Florence and Charleston, was built here about 1853. It was named for nearby Mount Holly Plantation, carved out of Thorogood Plantation . . . — Map (db m23583) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-29 — Otranto Indigo Vat
On Brushy Park Road, on the right when traveling north.
Built 1750-1790 at Otranto Plantation and used to process dye from indigo, an important S.C. crop from 1747 to 1796. Moved here 1979. — Map (db m29485) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-27 — Otranto Plantation
On Otranto Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
Originally known as "Yeshoe," this plantation was granted in 1679 to Arthur Middleton, great-granduncle of the signer of the Declaration of Independence. Called "Otranto" after 1771, when it was bought by Dr. Alexander Garden, noted physician and . . . — Map (db m29484) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-40 — Springfield Plantation
On Judy Drive.
Marker Front: Springfield Plantation, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Paul Mazyck (d. 1749), a planter and merchant who combined two large tracts on Foster Creek, a branch of Back River. His father Isaac, a French . . . — Map (db m29489) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-47 — St. James, Goose Creek
On Vestry Lane west of Snake River Road (South Carolina Highway S-8-208).
Marker Front: St. James, Goose Creek was one of the first Anglican parishes in the lowcountry, created by the Church Act of 1706. The first church here , built in 1707, was a frame building. This Georgian brick church, covered in stucco, . . . — Map (db m29495) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-54 — The Oaks
On The Oaks Avenue at Middleton Drive on The Oaks Avenue.
Marker Front: The Oaks, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Edward Middleton (d. 1685) on a 1678 grant from the Lords Proprietors. Middleton, a planter who came to S.C. from Barbados, received 1,630 acres on Yeaman’s Creek, . . . — Map (db m29497) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Goose Creek — 8-61 — The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715
On a Foster Creek Park walking trail west of Foster Creek Road.
Marker Front: In April 1715 Yamasee warriors killed government agents and traders who had come to meet with them at Pocotaligo, in present-day Beaufort County. Others killed colonists and raided plantations and farms at Port Royal, . . . — Map (db m29505) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Hanahan — 8-58 — Bowen’s Corner
On Foster Creek Road at Ford Boulevard on Foster Creek Road.
Marker Front: Bowen’s Corner, an African-American farming community from the mid-19th century through the late-20th century, was originally part of a rice plantation established along Goose Creek in 1680. That tract was granted by the Lords . . . — Map (db m29500) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Hanahan — 8-65 — Steepbrook Plantation
On Mabeline Road, on the right when traveling north.
(Front text) This plantation was established in 1701 by a grant of 500 acres near Goose Creek to Lewis Lansac from the Lords Proprietors. In 1757 the original grant, with an additional 1,000 acres that had been owned by the Wilson and Godin . . . — Map (db m41608) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Hugar — 8-11 — Pompion Hill Chapel
On Cainhoy Road (State Highway 8-98) at Pompion Hill Lane, on the right when traveling south on Cainhoy Road.
One quarter mile north, the first Church of England ediface outside of Charleston, was erected of Cypress in 1703, largely through the efforts of Gov. Sir Nathaniel Johnson. The present brick structure was erected in 1763. The Parish of St. Thomas, . . . — Map (db m24463) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Huger — 8-10 — Quenby Bridge
On Cainhoy Road (State Road 8-98), on the right when traveling south.
At this bridge, on July 17,1781, British forces under Col. Coates, who was retreating from Moncks Corner, encountered pursuing Americans under Gen. Thomas Sumter. After the destruction of the bridge, Col. Coates sought refuge under cover of the . . . — Map (db m41914) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Huger — Quinby Bridge & Shubrick’s Plantation: The Disastrous “Raid of the Dog Days”
On Cainhoy Road, on the right when traveling south.
In the summer of 1781, with the British hold on the interior of South Carolina significantly weakened, Continental commander Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Greene sent Brig. Gen. Thomas Sumter, with Brig. Gen. Francis Marion and Lt. Col. Henry “Light . . . — Map (db m53889) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Huger — 8-21 — Silk Hope Plantation
On State Highway 402 near Silk Hope Drive.
Home and burial place of Sir Nathanial Johnson, born in the County of Durham, England, in 1644. Knighted in 1680, was a member of Parliament, and Governor of Leeward Islands. He came to South Carolina in 1683 and settled at Silk Hope, from here he . . . — Map (db m23548) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Jamestown — 8-7 — Battle of Lenud's Ferry
On U.S. 17A at Nelis Place, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 17A.
Here, on May 6, 1780, Col. A.M. White was routed by Tarleton with the loss of two officers and thirty-six men killed and wounded and seven officers and sixty dragoons taken; Tarleton lost 2 men. Two boys, Francis Deliesseline and Samuel Dupre, . . . — Map (db m23249) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Jamestown — 8- 22D — Berkeley County
On U.S. 17A, on the left when traveling north.
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m23175) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Jamestown — Jamestown Veterans Monument
On French Santee Road (State Highway 45), on the left when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m88508) WM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Jamestown — 8-17 — Old Jamestown
On French Santee Road (State Highway 45) at Mt. Moriah Avenue, on the left when traveling south on French Santee Road.
After receiving a proprietary landgrant of 370 acres in 1705. French settlers laid out the town of Jamestown, c. 2 mi. N. By 1706, a church had been built known as the parish church of St. James, Santee. Jamestown never prospered and a number of . . . — Map (db m23149) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Macbeth — 8-35 — Rehoboth Methodist Church
On Old Macbeth Road (State Highway 8-52) 0.2 miles west of U.S. 52, on the right when traveling west.
(Marker Front) This church grew out of services held as early as 1811, at first in a brush arbor and later at a campground nearby. Ministers riding the Cooper River and Berkeley circuits served this congregation for many years. The first . . . — Map (db m29335) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — “Sojer Grave”
Near West Main Street.
When the South Carolina Public Service Authority was clearing the lands for the Santee Cooper Lakes, and removing buildings and other things man had erected during his two and a half centuries in upper Berkeley, there were numerous small items of a . . . — Map (db m54776) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Berkeley County Confederate Monument
On Stoney Landing Road, on the right when traveling east.
Front Honoring Berkeley County Confederate Soldiers “Deo Vindice” J B Adkins, S Adkins, S Alexander, J Armstrong, J F Avinger, E Ball, I Ball, J M Ball, J Ball, W J Ball, A Ballentine, J J Ballentine, L E Ballentine, W J . . . — Map (db m54848) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-66 — Berkeley Training High School
On North Live Oak Drive (U.S. 17), on the right when traveling north.
(Front text) Berkeley Training High School, located here from 1955 to 1970, replaced a four-room wood school 1 mi. S at Main St. and Old U.S. Hwy. 52. That school, built in 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700, had been partially funded by the . . . — Map (db m41606) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-9 — Biggin Church
On State Highway 402, on the right when traveling south.
Parish Church of St. John's Berkeley, founded by Act of Assembly November 30, 1706. Church erected in 1712. Burned by forest fire in 1775 and restored. Burned by Col. Coates of the British Army in 1781 and again restored. Burned again by forest fire . . . — Map (db m23453) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — C.S.S. David
On Stoney Landing Road, on the right when traveling east.
This Confederate vessel revolutionized the concepts of war at sea with a torpedo attack on the New Ironsides in Charleston Harbor on October 5, 1863. Constructed on Stoney Landing Plantation, Berkeley County, on which lands this full . . . — Map (db m84713) HM WM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target?
Near Stony Landing Road.
After Eutaw Springs, the British retreated to their post at Fair Lawn Plantation. In November 1781, Brig. Gen. Francis Marion sent Col. Hezekiah Maham with 180 horsemen and Col. Isaac Shelby with 200 mountain riflemen to eliminate British foraging . . . — Map (db m53885) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-39 — Dixie Training School / Berkeley Training High School
On Main Street (State Highway 6) at U.S. 52 on Main Street.
[Front] Berkeley Training High School, first called Dixie Training School, stood here from 1920 until the 1980s. The first public school for blacks in Moncks Corner was founded in 1880. It held classes in local churches until its first . . . — Map (db m29133) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-68 — Fairlawn Plantation / Fort Fairlawn
On Rembert C Dennis Blvd. near Edward Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Fairlawn Plantation Fairlawn Barony, sometimes called “Fair-Lawn,” was granted to Peter Colleton, whose father John had been one of the original Lords Proprietors of the Carolina colony. John’s grandson John (1679-1754), known as . . . — Map (db m53881) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — First Site of Moncks Corner
On U.S. 52 north of North Live Oak Drive (U.S. 17A), on the right when traveling north.
First site of Monck's Corner, where the road to the Congarees branched off from this road. Founded by Thomas Monck in 1735. Relocated on the railroad about 1856. Here about 3:30 A.M. April 13, 1780, Col. Wm. Washington's Light Dragoons were . . . — Map (db m33664) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure
Near Stony Landing Road.
Fair Lawn Plantation was an enormous property granted to Sir Peter Colleton, oldest son of Sir John Colleton, one of the original eight Lords Proprietors of the Carolina colony. During the Revolutionary War, the British army first occupied the . . . — Map (db m53883) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-16 — Lewisfield Plantation
On Old US 52 at Lewisfield Plantation Road, on the right when traveling north on Old US 52.
This land, part of Fairlawn Barony and known as Little Landing, was bought in 1767 by Sedgwick Lewis. His daughter Sarah married Keating Simons. They acquired the land in 1774 and are presumed to have built the present plantation house. Tradition . . . — Map (db m29132) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-4 — Mulberry Plantation
Near Old US 52 at N. Mulberry Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Originally granted to Sir Peter Colleton in 1679. Acquired in 1712 by Thomas Broughton, who erected the present mansion, said to be modeled after Seaton Hall in England, in 1714. Thomas Broughton was speaker of the Commons House of Assembly from . . . — Map (db m29130) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-2 — Old Moncks Corner
On North Live Oak Drive (U.S. 17A) at U.S. 52, in the median on North Live Oak Drive.
Here was located the provincial town of Moncks Corner, deriving its name from Thomas Monck, an Englishman, who in 1735 purchased Mitten Plantation, and upon whose land the town was settled. It became an important commercial center prior to the . . . — Map (db m23312) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Rembert C. Dennis Boulevard
On R C Dennis Boulevard (U.S. 52), on the right when traveling north.
Named in 1980 in honor of a distinguished South Carolininian Member, South Carolina House of Representatives, 1938-42 Member South Carolina Senate, 1943 - Chairman, Senate Finance Committee, 1972 - Because of his outstanding . . . — Map (db m23901) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-3 — Santee Canal
On U.S. 52/71 near Dock Road, on the right when traveling north.
This canal, twenty-two miles in length, connects the Santee and Cooper Rivers. Chartered in 1786, construction was commenced in 1793, and completed in 1800, under the direction of Col. John Christian Senf, a native of Sweden, as Chief Engineer. The . . . — Map (db m23577) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-36 — Santee Canal
On Stony Landing Road, in the median.
This canal, twenty-two miles in length, connects the Santee and Cooper Rivers. It was chartered by Act of March 22,1786, with capital of £100,000 sterling. Construction began in 1793, and the canal was completed in 1800, under the direction of Col. . . . — Map (db m23657) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-48 — St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church
On Old Highway 52 (State Highway S-8-791) at Avanti Lane, on the right when traveling north on Old Highway 52.
Marker Front: St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease One of two chapels of ease for St. James, Goose Creek Parish stood here on the road to Moncks Corner, about 7 miles from the 1719 parish church. The chapel of ease was a brick building . . . — Map (db m26255) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Stony Landing HouseCirca 1840-1850
Near Old Stony Landing Road.
The Stony Landing House was built on land which was once part of the 12,000 acre Fairlawn Barony. Fairlawn was granted to Sir Peter Colleton, son of Lords Proprietor John Colleton, on September 7, 1678. John H. Dawson purchased 2,319 acres on . . . — Map (db m23088) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-1 — Stony Landing Plantation
On U.S. 52 at Stoney Landing Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 52.
Here in 1863, was constructed the Confederate semi-submersible torpedo boat, "Little David", the first of its type. It was designed by Dr. St. Julien Ravenel, and built with funds raised by Theodore D. Stoney. — Map (db m23048) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-23 — Wadboo Barony
On State Highway 402, on the left when traveling south.
Near this point was the SW corner of Wadboo Barony, a 12,000 acre tract about 4 miles square, granted in 1683 to James Colleton, son of an original Lord Proprietor, as part of the land due him as a landgrave of Carolina. Colleton's heirs were . . . — Map (db m23066) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Wadboo Barony: Francis Marion’s Last Headquarters
Near State Highway 402 just north of State Highway S-8-44, on the left when traveling west.
Wadboo was a Native American name given to the enormous landholding of James Colleton, a son of Sir John Colleton, who was one of the original eight Lords Proprietors of the Carolina colony. Called a barony according to the Proprietors’ plan . . . — Map (db m53891) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-62 — Wassamassaw
On Wassamassaw Lane 0.3 miles north of U.S. 176, on the right when traveling north.
[Front] Wassamassaw, with several variant spellings during the colonial era, is a Native American word thought to mean “connecting water.” It first referred to the large cypress swamp here, but eventually referred to the . . . — Map (db m29135) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Mount Holly — 8-19 — Medway Plantation
On U.S. 52 at Medway Road (State Highway 8-667), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 52.
In 1686 Medway Plantation was granted by the Lords Proprietors to Jan Van Arrsen,seigneur de Weirnhoudt. In 1689 the property came into the possession of Landgrave Thomas Smith, Governor of South Carolina November 1693 to October 1694. He died in . . . — Map (db m23473) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Mt. Holly — 8-49 — Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation
Near Mt. Holly Aluminum Driveway near North Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52), on the right when traveling west.
(Front text) Thorogood Plantation In 1682 the Lords Proprietors granted 3,000 acres here, on a branch of the Back River, to Joseph Thorogood (d. 1684). Though Thorogood only owned the plantation two years and his widow Jane sold it . . . — Map (db m27401) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Mudville — 8- 22B — Berkeley County
On Old Gilliard Road (State Highway 27) near Jared Lane, on the left when traveling south.
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m22541) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), near Cross — 8-67 — Friendship Methodist Church
On Ranger Drive (State Highway 6), on the right when traveling south.
(Front text) This church, one of the oldest Methodist organizations in Berkeley County, was formally organized about 1825. Circuit riders had preached in the area for more than forty years, and services held under a brush arbor here . . . — Map (db m55867) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Nelson Hill — Gen. William Moultrie1730-1805
On Black's Camp Road near lake front, west shore of Lake Moultrie, in the median.
Commander of Fort Sullivan and the S.C. 2nd Regiment Jun. 17, 1775 to Sept. 16, 1776. Governor of South Carolina 1785-1787 and 1792-1794. Defeated the British ships in 1776 in the invasion of the Charleston Harbor. The fort's name was . . . — Map (db m29432) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pineville — 8-18 — Francis Marion / Francis Marion's Grave
On General Francis Marion Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
( Front Text ) Francis Marion Brigadier General of S.C. militia during the American Revolution, Francis Marion, was one of the partisan leaders who kept the war alive during the British occupation of the state. His elusive . . . — Map (db m22549) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pineville — Francis Marion’s Grave
Near end of General Francis Marion Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
(North face) Sacred to the Memory of Genl. Francis Marion, Who departed his life, on the 27th of February, 1795, in the sixty-third year of his age Deeply regretted by all his fellow-citizens. History will record his worth . . . — Map (db m23902) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pineville — Maham Plantation
On Colonel Maham Drive at Westfield Drive, on the right when traveling south on Colonel Maham Drive.
Burial place of Col. Hezekiah Maham A native of St. Stephen's Parish Berkeley County, South Carolina Born 1739 Died 1789 He was a distinguished soldier and patriot of the American Revolution — Map (db m54777) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pineville — The Elusive Francis Marion: Guerrilla Commander
On General Francis Marion Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Disastrous American defeats during the Revolutionary War at Charleston and Camden in the summer of 1780 led many South Carolinians to give up the fight for independence. But Francis Marion carried on the struggle, waging a guerrilla war in the . . . — Map (db m53957) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pineville — The Elusive Francis Marion: The Stuff of Legend
On General Francis Marion Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
For what he did in less than three years during the Revolutionary War, Francis Marion won enduring fame. By the nineteenth century he was remembered as the Swamp Fox, the partisan commander who always eluded the British and their Loyalist allies. . . . — Map (db m53956) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pineville — Village of Eadytown
On State Highway 45 at Old Canal Road, on the left when traveling north on State Highway 45.
“The Village of Eadytown is the site of the last known Indian tribe in Upper St. John’s Parish. In early 1700 American Settlers, moving inland, settled here and eventually became a vital part of the Community. Fort Schinkin, located on the . . . — Map (db m54974) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pineville — 8-52 — Village of Pineville
On Matilda Circle Road (State Highway 8-204) at Walnut Way, on the left when traveling south on Matilda Circle Road.
(Front text) Pineville, established in 1793-94, was one of the first planters' retreats in the South. James Sinkler built the first summer house here in 1793. Pineville, named for its "religiously preserved" pines and known for its "sweet . . . — Map (db m23199) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pinopolis — 8-31 — Pinopolis
On Pinopolis Road (State Highway 8-5) north of Fishburne Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Plantation owners began this pineland village in 1830s to escape lowcountry plantation summer nights, thought to cause "country fever" (malaria). By 1844 Pinopolis comprised about 12 homes. The village served as a shelter for refugees during the . . . — Map (db m23422) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Pinopolis — 8-28 — St. John's Church
On Sugar Hill Drive (State Highway 8-5) near West Duke Road, on the right when traveling north.
This baptist Church, constituted 1851, constructed the present building here in 1881 on land donated by A.D. Hare, a church trustee. — Map (db m23900) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Santee Circle — Site of Huguenot Church of Saint John's Berkeley
On Old Blackoak Road 2 miles west of Highway 52, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m40121) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Spring Hill — 8- 22C — Berkeley County
On Old State Road (US 176), on the right when traveling south.
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m30738) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Spring Hill — 8-14 — Spring Hill Methodist Church
On Old Gilliard Road (State Highway 27) north of Spring Hill Church Road, on the left when traveling north.
According to tradition, Methodists worshiped here under a brush arbor as early as 1800. On August 2, 1814, Phillip Keller deeded one acre for a Methodist Church and burying ground. Eden and Rebecca Green Thrower deeded an additional acre in 1839. A . . . — Map (db m29703) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-22A — Berkeley County
On U.S. 52, on the right when traveling south.
Area 1238 square miles established by order of the Lord Proprietors, May 10, 1682. Named for John (Lord) Berkeley and Sir William Berkeley. The largest county in the state, and part of the middle coastal district. This highway and markers were . . . — Map (db m33448) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — DeWitt Williams Bridge
On State Highway 45, on the right when traveling west.
Named in honor of St. Stephen Native Teacher and Principal For Over 30 Years Member St. Stephen Town Council 1970-1979 Mayor Pro Tem 1974-1979 9th District member S.C. Highway Commission 1972-1982 Member House of . . . — Map (db m29419) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-37 — L. Mendel Rivers House
On Mendle Rivers Road (State Highway 8-351) at Brick Church Circle, on the right when traveling south on Mendle Rivers Road.
(Marker Front) Lucius Mendel Rivers (1905-1970), state representative 1933-36 and U.S. Representative 1940-70, was born in nearby Gumville and grew up on the family farm on Bonneau Road (now Mendel Rivers Avenue). Rivers attended the College . . . — Map (db m29330) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-51 — St. Stephen Colored School / St. Stephen High School
On Russellville Road (State Highway 8-18) at Cedar Drive, on the left when traveling west on Russellville Road.
(Marker Front)St. Stephen Colored School St. Stephen Colored School, the first public African American school in St. Stephen, was built here in 1924-25. A three-room frame building, it was one of almost 500 schools in S.C. funded in part . . . — Map (db m29334) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-34 — St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
On Church Road (State Highway 45) near Brick Church Circle Drive, on the right when traveling west.
(Marker Front) St. Stephen’s, built 1767-69, is a fine example of the rural churches built in the S.C. lowcountry before the Revolution. “The Church is one of the handsomest Country Churches in So. Ca. and would be no mean ornament in . . . — Map (db m29329) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-30 — Thomas Walter
On Colonel Mamham Dr. at U.S. 52, on the right when traveling east on Colonel Mamham Dr..
The grave of Thomas Walter (c. 1740-1789), pioneer botanist, is 9 mi. W at his Santee River plantation. A native of England, Walter came to S.C. by 1769. He collected and catalogued many plants native to the lowcountry. His catalog Flora . . . — Map (db m39003) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephens — St. Stephens Veterans Monument
On Ravenell Street (State Highway 45) near County Route 8-65, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated in grateful tribute to those who served in the armed forces of the United States May 26, 1986 — Map (db m54991) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Summerville — 8- 22E — Berkeley County
On North Main Street (U.S. 17A), on the right when traveling north.
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m22948) HM

92 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement