On June 20, 1863, Bill Hickman started a ferry 9 miles up Snake River for thousands of gold hunters headed for mines that now are in Montana.
Named for an eagle that had a nest on a rock there, his ferry flourished until James Madison . . . — — Map (db m70584) HM
Marking the site of the first Latter-Day Saints meeting house, built in 1885.
This was the first building erected in this community for religious purposes. The building was 16 X 28 feet costing $450.00, money for which was obtained by donation.
. . . — — Map (db m109814) HM
The Idaho Falls Temple, visible across the Snake River, was the first temple constructed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Idaho.
Construction began in 1939 and was completed in 1945.
The temple’s soaring tower draws the eye . . . — — Map (db m110540) HM
Keefer’s Island occupies 1.85 acres and is located approximately ¼ mile south (downstream) from a cut in the Snake River known as John’s Hole.
Keefer’s Island was named for Fred. W. Keefer, a member of a prominent family in the early days of Eagle . . . — — Map (db m110484) HM
The earliest known human occupation of the Idaho Falls area reaches back about 1,200 years, according to archaeological evidence.
The bones of mammoths, ground sloths, camels, and other extinct mammals, discovered in association with Native . . . — — Map (db m110497) HM
After German Field Marshall Erwin Rommel’s North African Army surrendered on May 13, 1943, the allies had approximately 275,000 prisoners-of-war in their possession.
During 1945, 15,000 of the prisoners lived and worked in Idaho.
Rupert, Idaho . . . — — Map (db m110477) HM
On December 10, 1864 a franchise was granted to Edward M. Morgan, James M. (Matt) Taylor, and William F. Bartlett to operate a ferry one and one-half miles below Cedar Island and build a bridge over Snake River at Black Canyon. Mr. Taylor selected . . . — — Map (db m70571) HM
Idaho’s earliest toll bridge spanned Snake River at this rocky site in 1865, replacing Eagle Rock Ferry, 9 miles upstream.
James Madison Taylor (a relative of Presidents Madison and Taylor and a founder of Denver, Colorado) settled here in . . . — — Map (db m70583) HM
The idea of the hospital was conceived by Heber C. Austin with construction commencing in 1919, though the completion of the building was delayed because of a depressed economy.
On 22 October 1923, the hospital was dedicated by President Heber J. . . . — — Map (db m109826) HM
The fertile soil and abundance of water in this
valley lured pioneer settlers. With small slip
scrapers, hand plows, picks and shovels, they
cleared sagebrush, built log homes, made canals,
ditches and dams to put water on the land. One of . . . — — Map (db m109710) HM