Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
55 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Brazos County, Texas

 
Clickable Map of Brazos County, Texas and Immediately Adjacent Jurisdictions image/svg+xml 2019-10-06 U.S. Census Bureau, Abe.suleiman; Lokal_Profil; HMdb.org; J.J.Prats/dc:title> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_counties_large.svg Brazos County, TX (55) Burleson County, TX (23) Grimes County, TX (47) Leon County, TX (13) Madison County, TX (8) Robertson County, TX (43) Washington County, TX (125)  BrazosCounty(55) Brazos County (55)  BurlesonCounty(23) Burleson County (23)  GrimesCounty(47) Grimes County (47)  LeonCounty(13) Leon County (13)  MadisonCounty(8) Madison County (8)  RobertsonCounty(43) Robertson County (43)  WashingtonCounty(125) Washington County (125)
Adjacent to Brazos County, Texas
    Burleson County (23)
    Grimes County (47)
    Leon County (13)
    Madison County (8)
    Robertson County (43)
    Washington County (125)
 
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8666 — Brazos County
Brazos County, part of Stephen F. Austin’s colony, was created from Washington County in 1841. It was first named Navasota County, with Boonville as the county seat. In 1842 the name was changed to Brazos County. Through the Civil War, Millican, . . . Map (db m119591) HM
2Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8667 — Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court(1861-1865)
Furnished horses, equipment and clothing for county men in the Civil War. Levied war taxes on property, exempting lands or estates of Confederate soldiers. After surveying to determine needs of the families of Brazos soldiers, appropriated . . . Map (db m119642) HM
3Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — Brazos County CourthouseBoonville — 1841 - 1846 —
Boonville was selected as the county seat of Navasota County in 1841. In January 1842, the name was changed to Brazos County. The area selected was named Boonville and was to encompass one hundred and fifty acres purchased for $150. A three-acre . . . Map (db m170514) HM
4Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — Brazos Union Lodge No. 129Boonville
Brazos Union Lodge was organized in Boonville in 1852. Four years earlier, another lodge, named Boonville Lodge No. 55, was created at Boonville and worked under a dispensation for several months before receiving a charter in January 1849 from the . . . Map (db m170459) HM
5Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8670 — Bryan City Cemetery
Established June 13, 1868 - three years after dedication of Bryan Townsite. Graveyard land - 20 acres, then on north edge of Bryan - was sold to the city for $100 by J.C. Hubert. More land was added June 15, 1915; area is now 48 acres. Many . . . Map (db m170316) HM
6Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 13339 — Carnegie Public Library
Center of cultural and civic activities in Bryan since 1903. Established through inspiration of the mutual improvement club (renamed the Woman's Club, 1909), under the leadership of Mmes. Lucy Miley Brandon and Rose Fountain Howell who with modest . . . Map (db m119639) HM
7Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8685 — Charles Eric Jenkins(November 4, 1861 - October 26, 1943)
English native Charlie E. Jenkins came to America in 1873 and to Bryan in 1878. One of Bryan's most prolific and talented builders of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, Jenkins' legacy of distinctive structures has been recognized by national . . . Map (db m170311) HM
8Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 16933 — Confederate Veterans in Bryan City Cemetery
The Civil War and its aftermath greatly affected Brazos County. War halted progress of the Houston & Texas Central Railway and made Millican a boomtown. After the war, the railroad created a new town, Bryan City, and brought a need for men and . . . Map (db m170303) HM
9Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8681 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized Nov. 21, 1867, in the Presbytery of Brazos by the Rev. J.H. Hutchinson, this apparently was the second denominational group in Bryan. In 1871, members themselves built their first sanctuary at Washington and 29th Streets. This effort was . . . Map (db m170268) HM
10Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8689 — Harvey Mitchell(1821-1901)
Came to Texas from Tennessee in 1839, and joined "minute men" protecting north frontier from Trinity to Brazos River. Moved to Brazos County; served 1842-1853 in County offices: Deputy Clerk, County Clerk, Surveyor, Chief Justice. Taught school, . . . Map (db m119644) HM
11Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — Harvey MitchellBoonville — 1821 - 1901 —
"Welcome to My Town" Father of Brazos County Harvey Mitchell was born in 1821 in Tennessee. Because his parents could not afford to send him to college, the ambitious 18 year old came to Texas in 1838. From 1839 to 1842, . . . Map (db m170405) HM
12Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 13455 — Isom Palmer(c. 1811 - 1874)
Isom Palmer, whose name has various spellings, was born to Martin and Sarah (Hardwick) Parmer. In 1825, the Palmer (Parmer) family moved to Texas, settling near Nacogdoches the next year, and participated in the 1826 Fredonian Rebellion. Palmer . . . Map (db m170312) HM
13Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 12883 — La Salle Hotel
Occupying a prominent corner in the southern end of Bryan's central business district, the La Salle hotel is an architectural landmark representative of the city's early 20th-century commercial development. At that time, Bryan was a major . . . Map (db m119640) HM
14Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 12943 — Martin's Place
In December 1924, Martin Kapchinskie purchased land at this site, along a one-lane country road connecting Bryan to Texas A&M University, near the communities of Union Hill and Midway. Here, he opened a store for travelers and named it Martin's . . . Map (db m168371) HM
15Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — Men of VisionBoonville
Eli Seale 1793-1857 Elias (Eli) Seale was born in North Carolina in 1793. He served as a fifer in the War of 1812 in Mississippi, and in 1835 moved with his three brothers and his family from Alabama to Texas. He received his Mexican . . . Map (db m170484) HM
16Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 13298 — Mount Calvary Cemetery
Bryan's St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church began in 1873 with a congregation that drew from the city as well as rural communities in the area. For the next 25 years, the church used existing cemeteries for the burials of parishioners. These included . . . Map (db m170348) HM
17Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 17340 — Queen Theater
A movie theater has been at this location since 1913 and named “The Queen” since 1914. It was originally located in the three-story Stoddard Hotel built here in 1889. The Schulman family purchased the theater business in 1926 and the . . . Map (db m119641) HM
18Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8706 — Route of El Camino Real(Also known as Old San Antonio Road and Old Spanish Road)
Great thoroughfare of pioneer Texas, stretching 1,000 miles from Saltillo, Mexico, to present Louisiana. The general route followed ancient Indian and buffalo trails, but the oldest marked portion, known as "Trail of the Padres", was blazed in 1691 . . . Map (db m68683) HM
19Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8693 — Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
This parish traces its origin to Episcopal services held in nearby Millican in 1864. A yellow fever epidemic in the Millican area prompted the relocation of the Saint Andrew's Mission to Bryan in 1867. A parish was formed that year and led by The . . . Map (db m129293) HM
20Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8691 — Site of Odd Fellows University and Orphans Home
Founded 1870 by Odd Fellows Lodge. Housed in a 2-story frame building. Taught drawing, English, French, German, Greek, Latin, music, philosophy, geometry, trigonometry, science, surveying, penmanship. Had primary to young adult students, attracted . . . Map (db m170274) HM
21Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8665 — Site of the Town of Boonville
Established in 1841 as the county seat of Navasota County by John Millican, John H. Jones, J. Ferguson, E. Seale, and Mordecai Boon whose name it bears • The name of the county was changed to Brazos in 1842 • Boonville flourished until 1866 when . . . Map (db m170254) HM
22Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8694 — St. Joseph Catholic Church
Although Catholic worship services were celebrated in Bryan by 1869, this church traces its history to the early 1870s. The first church building was erected about 1871 for a small active parish. The Reverend John Moore is considered to be the . . . Map (db m170269) HM
23Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8695 — St. Joseph School
The Rev. Joseph Pelnar of Bryan's St. Joseph Catholic Church erected a parish school building here in the early 1890s. The children of East European immigrant families dominated student enrollment at St. Joseph's until about the 1930s. Teachers . . . Map (db m170271) HM
24Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — Stagecoach TravelBoonville
Early-day Texas travelers had only four choices when they needed to get from one town to another — walk, ride a horse, bounce along in a buggy, or take a stagecoach. Multi-passenger horse-drawn stagecoaches - Texas' first regularly scheduled . . . Map (db m170518) HM
25Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 15825 — The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan
Bryan was platted on land granted to the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1859. In 1900, a second railroad, the Calvert, Waco & Brazos Valley (CW & BV) was built through Bryan by George Gould. The CW & BV built a depot here in 1900; besides train . . . Map (db m119629) HM
26Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8680 — The First National Bank of Bryan
The First National Bank of Bryan traces its history to 1862 when its earliest predecessor, a private lending agency, was established by W.H. Flippen and Milton Parker in Millican. In 1867, after the Houston and Texas Central Railroad extended its . . . Map (db m170259) HM
27Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — The Town PlatBoonville
The State of Texas consists of 254 counties. Washington County, with its settlements of Independence and Washington on the Brazos, was one of the 23 counties created in 1836 following Texas independence. Most of the area of present day Brazos . . . Map (db m170365) HM
28Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — The Twin SistersBoonville
On November 17, 1835, after Francis Smith convinced the people of Cincinnati, Ohio, to aid the cause of the Texas Revolution, the Ohioans began raising funds to procure two cannons and their attendant equipment for Texas. Since the United States . . . Map (db m170471) HM
29Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8705 — The Women’s Club
Founded in October 1895 as the Mutual Improvement Circle, this organization began with twenty members. Initially gathering in individual homes, the club met as a study group to improve members' minds, serve the community, and promote the cause of . . . Map (db m170267) HM
30Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8669 — Town Named for William Joel Bryan(1814-1903)
Native of Missouri. Member of prominent family who were Texas statesmen, planters, developers. Grandson of Moses Austin, who obtained from Mexico charter for American Colony in Texas, but died before making settlement. Nephew of Stephen F. . . . Map (db m119643) HM
31Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — Turner-Peters Log CabinBoonville — 1856 - 2015 —
Though it's called a cabin, the Turner-Peters Dogtrot was house and home during the 1800s to early settlers. For over 160 years, the homestead was situated atop a sandy hill overlooking a small branch of Peach Creek in Grimes County. Thanks to . . . Map (db m170387) HM
32Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8701 — Wesa Weddington(Nov. 20, 1880 - Mar. 29, 1966)
Granddaughter of Harvey Mitchell, a pioneer settler of Brazos County, Wesa Weddington began teaching Latin and Spanish in 1903 in Bryan public schools. She received a Masters Degree in 1918 from Columbia University and then taught while serving as . . . Map (db m170256) HM
33Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8662 — A & M College Consolidated Rural School
The State of Texas granted a charter for an independent school district to encompass the Texas A&M College campus in 1909. Because there was not a sufficient number of students in the district to support a school, A&M president William Bizzell and . . . Map (db m170201) HM
34Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Academic Building
The Academic Building (1914) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke, '86 and Samuel E. Gideon, after Old Main was destroyed by fire in 1912. The beaux-arts classical design is a four-storied reinforced concrete structure faced with . . . Map (db m120269) HM
35Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8628 — African American Education in College Station
Formal education for African Americans in Brazos County began as a result of the Public School Act of 1871. Classes were held in many small community and church-related schools, and by 1923 there were 127 African American students in the A&M . . . Map (db m170204) HM
36Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Chemistry Building
The Chemistry Building (1929) was designed by S. C. P. Vosper, using classical design proportions and details. It was extended to the east in 1981 and 1988. The ornamentation uses a variety of color schemes in tile patterns inspired from the art of . . . Map (db m120273) HM
37Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8674 — College Station Railroad Depots
In 1871 Texas Governor Edmund Davis appointed three Commissioners to select a site for the newly established Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M College). The Commissioners chose this location in large part because of the . . . Map (db m119630) HM
38Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13065 — Early Play-By-Play Radio Broadcast of a College Football Game
In 1920, David J. Finn and other Texas A&M electrical engineering students attempted to broadcast the football game at Oklahoma A&M via ham radio. When the plan failed they used a telephone backup, relaying game updates to fans gathered in the Texas . . . Map (db m119624) HM
39Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8675 — Early Texas A&M Campus Housing
When Texas A&M University opened in 1876, it was four miles from Bryan, the nearest town, and the need for campus housing for faculty and staff arose. The first of the campus houses, five brick homes along the east side of Throckmorton Street, were . . . Map (db m119625) HM
40Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Francis Hall
Rolland Adelsperger, College Architect and Professor of Architecture and Architectural Engineering designed Francis Hall in a highly distinctive romanesque style in 1913 for the School of Veterinary Medicine. The proposed design exceeded the . . . Map (db m120274) HM
41Texas (Brazos County), College Station — History Building
The History Building was erected in 1922 as the Agriculture Building and housed the Dean of Agriculture for about ten years. Architect E. B. La Roche used a classical revival style with a strong base, rusticated brick main floor, and two-story . . . Map (db m120275) HM
42Texas (Brazos County), College Station — K. K. Legett Hall Centennial
Built in 1911, Legett Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus and one of two remaining along Military Walk. Named for Judge Kirvin Kade Legett (1857-1926) of Abilene, President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas Board of . . . Map (db m120270) HM
43Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13369 — Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University opened in October 1876 and established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its Congressional mandate to teach military tactics. The students at what was then an all-male institution were required to serve in the corps and follow . . . Map (db m119627) HM
44Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Nagle Hall
Nagle Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus, constructed in 1909 as the Civil Engineering building. Renamed in 1929 for James C. Nagle, the first dean of the School of Engineering. The design maintains the campus' distinct classical . . . Map (db m120268) HM
45Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8672 — Richard Carter Homesite
In 1831, Richard Carter (1789-1863), Virginia native and War of 1812 veteran, came from Alabama and received a grant of land within the Stephen F. Austin colony at the site of what is now the City of College Station. He became one of the areas . . . Map (db m168426) HM
46Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8692 — Rock Prairie School and Church
German immigrant Adam Royder (d. 1894) donated one acre of land here for school purposes in 1891. A one-room schoolhouse was constructed where area students received instruction through the seventh grade. The Rock Prairie Missionary Baptist Church . . . Map (db m168058) HM
47Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Sbisa Dining Hall
Sbisa Dining Hall (1913) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke to replace the castle-like 1897 mess hall that burned in 1911. It anchors the north end of Military Walk whose south terminus was Guion Assembly Hall (1918-1971). A . . . Map (db m120271) HM
48Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8696 — Shiloh Community
Settled in the 1860s by Czech, German, and Polish immigrants, the Shiloh community was an area of large family farms. In addition to homes and farms, the settlement at one time boasted a community center, a two-room school, a vineyard, a mill, and a . . . Map (db m102000) HM
49Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8698 — Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
Soon after its opening in 1876, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M) established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its mandate to instruct its students (all-male until the early 1960s) in military science. A&M contributed more . . . Map (db m119628) HM
50Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8699 — Texas A&M University
The State Legislature authorized the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas April 17, 1871, under terms of the Federal Morrill Act. Constitutionally a part of a chartered, yet-unorganized state university, A&M gained its own directorate in . . . Map (db m119592) HM
51Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 18810 — Texas AMC and WWI
World War I allowed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas to expand beyond military training and directly contribute to the war effort with staff and students volunteering for service in large numbers. Students first served for other . . . Map (db m126521) HM
52Texas (Brazos County), College Station — The Luke Patranella Memorial Center
This memorial walkway was established in 1997 as a part of the master landscape plan of the College Station cemetery. It provides patrons an opportunity to honor loved ones while benefiting the cemetery endowment fund, which was created to insure . . . Map (db m170337) HM
53Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Williams Administration Building
The Williams Building (1932) was designed by architect S. C. P. Vosper in a classical revival style as the headquarters for the Texas A&M System. The building faced the new state highway symbolizing the shift from train to automobile travel. The . . . Map (db m120276) HM
54Texas (Brazos County), Millican — 8688 — Millican, C.S.A.
Millican was Texas' northernmost railroad terminus when the war between the states began in 1861. It became a vital Confederate shipping point for the area extending to the Red River on the north and to the frontier settlements in the west. The . . . Map (db m119607) HM
55Texas (Brazos County), Wellborn — 12524 — Wellborn Cemetery
The town of Wellborn was founded in 1867 along the Houston and Texas Central railroad line. By 1874, with the first documented burial -- that of two-year-old Newton Farquhar -- a cemetery was in existence to serve the community. A reflection of . . . Map (db m170195) HM
 
May. 12, 2021