Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Broward County Florida Historical Markers

 
Coral Springs Covered Bridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jay Kravetz
Coral Springs Covered Bridge Marker
Florida (Broward County), Coral Springs — F-517 — Coral Springs Covered Bridge
The Covered Bridge was the first permanent structure built within the City by Coral Ridge Properties, developer of Coral Springs, in 1964. It withstood the eye of Hurricane Cleo that passed over it in August 1964 without sustaining any damage. The . . . — Map (db m100391) HM
Florida (Broward County), Coral Springs — Museum of Coral Springs History
Coral Ridge Properties built the City's first real estate office in 1964 at the intersection of Route 441 and Wiles Road, just outside the City limits. This 30-by-20 foot single-room wooden structure displayed maps and plats of subdivisions, none of . . . — Map (db m47421) HM
Florida (Broward County), Davie — A Brief HistoryLock No. 1, North New River Canal
Lock No. 1, or Sewell Lock, was designed by world renowned engineers Major S. Sewell and Ben Johnson and built by the Furst-Clark Construction Company of Biltmore. It was part of the Everglades Drainage District and played a vital role in early . . . — Map (db m100230) HM
Florida (Broward County), Davie — F-534 — Old Davie School
This historic structure was the first permanent school in the Everglades and is now Broward County’s oldest existing school building. The Davie School was designed in 1917 by August Geiger (born 1888), who came to Miami in 1905 from New Haven, . . . — Map (db m41666) HM
Florida (Broward County), Deerfield Beach — F-876 — First Zion Missionary Baptist Church
The settlement of Deerfield was founded on the southeast coast of Florida with the coming of Henry Flagler’s Florida East Coast Railroad in 1896. In 1902, two Methodist missionaries began holding religious services for the community. These early . . . — Map (db m100392) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-864 — Bridge of the Isles
During the 1920s Florida Land Boom, the present-day Nurmi Isles subdivision was dredged to create the four finger islands. Bridges providing access to each island were constructed, but no additional development occurred until Victor Nurmi purchased . . . — Map (db m108909) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Colonial HotelCirca 1922
This building is one of only three remaining historical buildings on Brickell Avenue, the first commercial street of Ft. Lauderdale. Constructed as the Bivans Hotel in 1922, this building is the oldest surviving structure in Ft. Lauderdale built as . . . — Map (db m100383) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-472 — Evergreen CemeteryEstablished 1910
Many Civil War veterans are buried at Evergreen Cemetery in addition to the founding families of Fort Lauderdale including the Stranahans (who built Stranahan house on SE 6th Avenue), Bryans, Kings, Cromarties (the maiden name of Ivy Julia Stranahan . . . — Map (db m72809) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-716 — Fort Lauderdale Beaches Wade-Ins
On July 4, 1961, local NAACP president Eula Johnson and black physician Dr. Von D. Mizell began a series of nationally publicized "wade-ins" of Fort Lauderdale beaches. Johnson, Mizell, a third black adult, and four black college students . . . — Map (db m48852) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
On this spot, January 31, 1893, Frank Stranahan, the founder of this city, conducted a ferry across New River, established a trading post with the Indians and operated the first U.S. Post Office. Seven tenths of a mile west of this point . . . — Map (db m100795) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Indian Haulover
Bahia Mar is the site of a haulover where Indians took their canoes from New River Sound into the Atlantic Ocean. A Second Seminole War fort named for Major William Lauderdale was built near here in 1838. It was active until the War ended in 1842. . . . — Map (db m47419) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Ivy Julia Cromartie Stranahan
Born at White Springs, Florida, on the banks of the Suwannee River, came to Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1899 as the town's first school teacher. She married Frank Stranahan in 1900 and lived at the Indian Trading Post on New River, where she . . . — Map (db m100385) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-878 — Link Trainer Building #8
Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale (NASFL), a complex of over 200 buildings, was built on the site of Merle Fogg Field in 1942 and served as one of a few specialty schools for training on the TBF/TBM Avenger torpedo bomber. Nineteen-year-old pilot . . . — Map (db m100393) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Mackey Airlines, Inc.
Founded in 1946 by Colonel Joseph Mackey, Mackey Airlines became (August 5, 1952) the first certificated carrier in Broward authorized to engage in scheduled foreign transportation. Operations began January 2, 1953 between Fort Lauderdale, West Palm . . . — Map (db m61917) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Museum BuildingCirca 1922
One of three remaining historical buildings on Brickell Avenue, the first commercial street in the City of Fort Lauderdale, constructed between 1924 and 1926, the building was used primarily as a furniture store (as Pace Furniture then Rhodes . . . — Map (db m100434) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-404 — Old Fort Lauderdale Village
Old Fort Lauderdale Village at the intersection of the New River and the Florida East Coast Railway (F.E.C.) incorporates four turn-of-the-20th century historic buildings. These include the 1905 New River Inn, the 1905 Philemon N. Bryan House, the . . . — Map (db m63880) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Oliver BuildingCirca 1912
The façade is constructed in the same basic design configuration and from the actual bricks that existed on the west wall of the Oliver Building demolished in 1996. The original building was built in 1912 soon after most of Ft. Lauderdale's business . . . — Map (db m100416) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Philemon Nathaniel Bryan House
Philemon and Lucy Bryan's home was built in 1905 by contractor Edwin T. King at the request of their two sons, Reed and Tom. Philemon and Lucy first lived in a wood-frame house that had been converted into the Bryan Hotel. The New River Inn replaced . . . — Map (db m127489) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — Replica 1899 School House
This replica of the original schoolhouse, which was built by Edwin T. King, was constructed in 1976 as a community Bicentennial Project. The original schoolhouse was located on the corner of South Andrews Avenue and Southwest 5th Street. Ivy . . . — Map (db m100701) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-722 — The First Fort Lauderdale
The prehistoric peoples of Fort Lauderdale, commonly known as the Tequesta, occupied camps as early as 500 BCE in the area now known as Sailboat Bend. By 1800, Seminole Indians and Bahamian and American settlers inhabited lands along New River. In . . . — Map (db m100394) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — The Lewis Family
Coming over from the Bahamas sometime before 1792, Suries and Frankee Lewis and their three sons settled on the banks of the New River and were the first permanent settlers of European descent in what is now Broward County. In 1793, after reports of . . . — Map (db m63656) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — The Stranahan House
An excellent example of frontier Florida architecture, the Stranahan House was constructed in 1901 for Frank and Ivy Stranahan, two of this area's earliest residents. It sits on the site of Stranahan's Trading Post. Initially the structure was used . . . — Map (db m100541) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — The Tequesta
The Tequesta Indians and their ancestors lived and traveled along the New River for at least 5000 years. The Tequesta were Native Americans that lived in Southeast Florida in an area that extended from Boca Raton to Key West encompassing the . . . — Map (db m100444) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — 11120798 — West Side Grade School
The West Side Grade School was the second elementary school built in the Fort Lauderdale School District. The school was designed in 1923 by locally prominent architect Morris Peterman, and opened on September 21, 1923. The West Side Grade School . . . — Map (db m99637) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hallandale Beach — Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church"We Have Come This Far By Faith" — Established 1909
The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1909 by Sister Lougenia Johnson and Sister Missouri Wilson conducting Sunday School under a rubber tree. In 1910 Rev. A.T. Taylor, his wife, and Sister Lula Mack joined the group and . . . — Map (db m100359) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hallandale Beach — Greater Ward ChapelAfrican Methodist Episcopal Church — Established 1902
"To God Be The Glory For All Of The Great Things He Has Done" In 1902 a mustard seed was planted in the community, and with God's blessing a group known as the "Pioneers" established the first church, which blossomed the dream into a reality. . . . — Map (db m100395) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hallandale Beach — St. Anne’s Episcopal Church(Anglican) "A Century of Faith and Service" — Established in 1914
St. Anne's Episcopal Church was established in 1914 by Melbourne Knowles, Ansel Saunders and A.L. Wilkins, all hailing from the Islands of the Bahamas. The first church services were held in a wooden building located on the corner of what in now . . . — Map (db m100397) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Central Arcade1936-38 Hollywood Boulevard — Historic Downtown Landmark
Built in 1923 by Bastian Construction for professional offices, the building was occupied by Dentist Arthur Kellner, Hollywood's mayor in the 1930s, and Karlberg Studios Photographer. In the late 1990s to early 2000, the Hollywood Boulevard Theater . . . — Map (db m99737) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Council Oak Tree
The Council Oak Tree Site reflects the Seminole Tribe of Florida's growth over the years and stands as a symbol of strength and stability. The Council Oak Tree was the site of the meetings that led to the creation of the Seminole Tribe of Florida . . . — Map (db m100134) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Hammerstein House
The Hammerstein House, designed in the Tropical Modern style by Bayard Lukens in 1935, was the home of Vera and Clarence Hammerstein. The interior of the house has beautiful detailed archways, ceilings, and floors which includes the use of . . . — Map (db m99736) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Hollywood Publishing Company/Hollywood News Building1934 Hollywood Boulevard — Historic Downtown Landmark
The building was built by J.W. Young in 1925 as the new home for the Hollywood Land and Water Company's publishing business. The Toggery Shop Men's Wear was on the ground floor, east side. In 1934, James Breeding converted the building into a drug . . . — Map (db m99738) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Joe's Tropical Café1928 Hollywood Boulevard — Historic Downtown Landmark
From 1927 through the 1940s, the Menis Family operated Joe's Tropical Café, a popular restaurant, in this building. — Map (db m99820) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Melina's2010 Hollywood Boulevard — Historic Downtown Landmark
Initially in other locations, Melina Tomich's shop sold children's wear. In 1946, Melina built the shop here at 2010 Hollywood Boulevard branching into ladies' wear, in particular lingerie. Today, Melina's is the oldest continually operated family . . . — Map (db m99735) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Morse Arcade1926 Hollywood Boulevard — Historic Downtown Landmark
The Morse Arcade was built in 1923 by Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Morse, an arcade was an early mall with a variety of shops & offices. In 1927, it was the home of Hollywood's first library. — Map (db m99790) HM
Florida (Broward County), Hollywood — Wellons & McGowan1930-32 Hollywood Boulevard — Historic Downtown Landmark
Prohibition ended in 1933. In the mid-1930s, when gambling was legal on Hollywood Boulevard, Wellons & McGowan held a license for slot machines at this address. Shortly after that, it was acquired by Breeding's for a liquor store. — Map (db m99788) HM
Florida (Broward County), Pompano Beach — F-849 — Pompano Beach Indian Mound
Side One: The Pompano Beach Indian Mound is a prehistoric sand burial mound that was used by the Tequesta tribe and their ancestors for burial of their dead. Located nearby was their associated village and midden dating as far back as AD . . . — Map (db m100403) HM
Florida (Broward County), Pompano Beach — F-470 — Silver Thatch Mounted Beach Patrol
The recreation area encompassed by Colony Club Road, during World War II (1941-1945), was the site of the corrals and paddocks for the United States Coast Guard’s Silver Thatch Mounted Beach Patrol. The mounted beach patrol protected the coast from . . . — Map (db m100404) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.