Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bullock County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Aberfoil Community Marker, back image, Touch for more information
By David J Gaines, October 20, 2012
Aberfoil Community Marker, back
Alabama (Bullock County), Aberfoil — Aberfoil Community
The town of Aberfoil was incorporated January 26, 1839, in then Macon County, with the first election for councilors conducted and managed by Lewis Stoudenmire, Charles G. Lynch, Thomas Scott, David Hudson, and A. J. and E. A. Jackson. Aberfoil was . . . — Map (db m61027) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Blues Old Stand — Samuel Sellers Cemetery
Samuel Sellers (1788-1857) of North Carolina arrived with his large family at Three Notch Road on January 29, 1835. Here, in what was then the Missouri Beat, Pike County, the first post office in the area was established, 2.5 miles west of . . . — Map (db m61061) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Blues Old Stand — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89638) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Fitzpatrick — Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church(Church of the Seven Sisters) — 1858
Lacking an established church nearby, pioneer families of the Fitzpatrick community into the mid-19th century took turns hosting worship services in their homes on Sunday mornings. "The Church of the Seven Sisters" was established in 1858 by seven . . . — Map (db m67158) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Confederate Memorial
Drill Ground of the Midway Guards 1860, later Company B 15th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Richmond. Second Company 1861 assigned to Company C 45th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Army of Tennessee. These and many later volunteers met the enemy in . . . — Map (db m89636) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — First Baptist Missionary Church 1875
The Macedonia Baptist Church, located between the communities of Midway and Mt. Coney, was constructed by freedmen after the American Civil War, replacing the brush arbors used by the area’s antebellum slaves as sites for religious worship. Four . . . — Map (db m60947) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Midway Baptist ChurchOrganized July 28, 1852
Midway, a part of Barbour County in the mid-19th century, was also known as Five Points, a small community of a handful of dwellings, two stores, and a Methodist church of logs. In this Methodist church, Joel Willis, J.M. Thornton, Robert G. Hall, . . . — Map (db m60908) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Old Merritt School Midway Community Center
Margaret Elizabeth Merritt of Midway sold two acres for $5 to the state of Alabama in 1921 as a site for an elementary school for African-American children. Built in 1922 with matching Rosenwald funds, the Midway Colored Public School featured oak . . . — Map (db m60910) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — 1998 — St. James C.M.E. ChurchRailroad Street Midway, Alabama
St. James Christian Methodist Episcopal Church founded by Reverend Jack McMillan, a former slave of Midway’s Daniel McMillan. Initially meeting outdoors under a brush arbor, ex-slaves and their children constructed a wood-frame church building soon . . . — Map (db m60909) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Town of Midway
Pioneer Samuel Feagin Sr. settled the Village of Midway in 1836. He came from Jones County, Georgia and established his residence at what is still called “The Old Feagin Place.” Samuel purchased a large acreage of land and sold it to . . . — Map (db m61854) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Perote — Perote Bullock County
This community, settled during the mid-1830s, was first called Fulford’s Cross Roads, then Missouri Cross Roads when a post office was established here in 1846. The name Perote, adopted in 1850 was suggested by veterans returning from the Mexican . . . — Map (db m83256) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Three Notch — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89637) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Bullock County Courthouse Historic District
The Bullock County Courthouse Historic District in Union Springs consists of 47 structures along three blocks of Prairie Street. Focal point of the district is the 1871 courthouse which is one of the finest post-bellum courthouses in the state and . . . — Map (db m83257) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Indian Treaty Boundary Line
The Treaty of Fort Jackson of August 9, 1814, by Major General Andrew Jackson on behalf of the President of the United States of America and the Chiefs, Deputies and Warriors of the Creek Nation, established a boundary line between the Mississippi . . . — Map (db m61025) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Indian Treaty Boundary Line
The Treaty of Fort Jackson of August 9, 1814, by Major General Andrew Jackson on behalf of the President of the United States of America and the Chiefs, Deputies and Warriors of the Creek Nation, established a boundary line between the Mississippi . . . — Map (db m61026) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Log Cabin Museum/Old City Cemetery
Log Cabin Museum Early settlers of this area cleared land and built their first homes of logs in the early 1830s. This cabin was built by Reuben Rice Kirkland (1829-1915) about 1850. He and his first wife had ten children while living in . . . — Map (db m60969) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Mt. Hilliard Methodist ChurchOrganized 1835
Founded by settlers from Virginia, Georgia, and Carolinas. Building erected 1856. It was the central feature of the village of Mount Hilliard. Named in honor of Henry W. Hilliard -- who debated William L. Yancey in the 1850's. Revivals held at . . . — Map (db m67553) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School
(side 1) Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and . . . — Map (db m67552) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Trinity Episcopal Church/Red Door Theater
Trinity Episcopal Church was established in Union Springs by Rev. DeBerniere Waddell in 1872 as a parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama with seventeen communicants and an annual budget of $412.50. Until 1879 services were held monthly in the . . . — Map (db m60973) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Union Springs, Alabama
In the early 1800s, settlers coming from the Carolinas and Georgia received land grants and some purchased land from the Indians. They settled and cleared the forest for new farms and plantations in what would become a newly formed State of Alabama . . . — Map (db m83258) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement