Town founded 1835 as a voting precinct. Established between Princeton and Salem stage stops, it was first called Midway; name changed to Fredonia two years later. In 1887, the Ohio Valley Railroad ran one-half mile west of town. Kelsey was . . . — — Map (db m123802) HM
Here on December 1, 1906, began Black Patch War, which lasted to the end of 1908. “Night Riders” fought against non-cooperative farmers and businessmen who opposed the dark tobacco pool. — — Map (db m79151) HM WM
Saline, Eddy, and Varmint traces met at Big Spring (Princeton) and developed into today's roads. First forged by buffalo, later used by Indians and pioneers. A fork of Saline crossed Ohio River at Cave-in-Rock; another at Golconda, Ill. Eddy Trace . . . — — Map (db m124356) HM
For General John Caldwell.
Born Virginia; came Kentucky 1781.
Maj. Gen. in militia; Indian campaigns.
With George Rogers Clark, 1786.
Member Danville Conventions, 1787, 1788, which adopted petition “demanding admission into the . . . — — Map (db m79159) HM
Gen. Hylan B. Lyon with 800 men invaded Ky., Dec. 1864, to enforce CSA draft law and divert USA from Nashville. In 23 days he burned seven courthouses used by Union forces. See map on reverse side. US troops fled Princeton as Lyon came from . . . — — Map (db m79180) HM
Site of college founded March, 1826, by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. First president was Rev. F. R. Cossitt. School opened with six students on some 500 acres of land bought for $6,000. A manual-labor school, students required to work 2 hours . . . — — Map (db m123805) HM
Six educational institutions have flourished here since 1860. Local citizens gave $20,000 and Dr. T.L. McNary six acres to establish Princeton College, 1860-80. Youth also served by Princeton Collegiate Inst., 1880-1911; Princeton High, 1911-23; . . . — — Map (db m123800) HM
Congregation organized in 1818 as Methodist Episcopal Church at home of Richard Barnes, a tanner. First meeting house later built beside his home on S. Jefferson St. Became M.E. Church, South, 1845, when national church split over slavery. Renamed . . . — — Map (db m123845) HM
Bishop Asbury named two itinerant Methodist preachers to Kentucky in 1786. One, Rev. Benjamin Ogden, had dedicated himself to religion after the Revolution. He preached in what is now Ky. and Tenn. area. While inspiring countless pioneers, he . . . — — Map (db m123810) HM
First Baptist Church, organized on March 30, 1850, under the leadership of the Rev. James Mansfield and a presbytery from Donaldson, Harmony, and New Bethel Baptist Churches, began with 11 members. The 1st church, built in 1851, stood on Vine . . . — — Map (db m123850) HM
Shandy Hall, two-story stone home built on Bluff above Big Spring, built by William Prince on his 200-acre survey made in 1798. Prince, a Rev. War veteran from S.C., began town on waters of Eddy Creek. In 1817, Princetown became county seat of . . . — — Map (db m123817) HM
Shandy Hall, two-story stone home built on Bluff above Big Spring, built by William Prince on his 200-acre survey made in 1798. Prince, a Rev. War veteran from S.C., began town on waters of Eddy Creek. In 1817, Princetown became county seat of . . . — — Map (db m123818) HM
At this point on the "Varmintrace" Road from Princeton toward Cumberland River the Cherokee Indians in 1838 camped on the 1200 mile "Trail of Tears." The enforced trek began in the Great Smoky Mountains and led westward to Indian Territory, costing . . . — — Map (db m123861) HM
Born in Virginia, his family moved to Spartanburg Co., S.C. in 1768. During the Revolutionary War, he served as captain in Col. Benjamin Roebuck’s S.C. Spartan regiment. After completing his military duty, he . . . — — Map (db m123867) HM