James Crook established this cemetery in
1837 on land he purchased from Creek
Indians. In 1834, he and his family moved
to this area from South Carolina.
In Nov. 1837, Samuel M. Crook, grandson
of James Crook, was the first person buried
here. . . . — — Map (db m36552) HM
At this site, on Nov. 3, 1813, after the Battle of
Tallasehatchee, known then as Talluschatches,
during the Creek Indian War,
Gen. Andrew Jackson found a dead
Creek Indian woman embracing her living
infant son. Gen. Jackson, upon hearing that . . . — — Map (db m36551) HM
Gen. John Coffee, commanding 900 Tennessee Volunteers, surrounded Indians nearby; killed some 200 warriors. This was first American victory. It avenged earlier massacre of 517 at Ft. Mims by Indians. — — Map (db m27610) HM
This Stone Marks The Site Of The Tallasahatchie Battle Field. On this spot
Lieut. Gen. John Coffee with
Gen. Andrew Jackson’s men
won a victory over the
Creek Indians, Nov. 3, 1813.
Erected by the
Frederick Wm. Gray Chapt.
Daughters of . . . — — Map (db m36554) HM
On May 14, 1961, a Greyhound bus left Atlanta, GA carrying among its passengers seven members of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), a.k.a. the “Freedom Riders,” on a journey to test interstate bus segregation. The bus was met by an . . . — — Map (db m35737) HM
Outstanding local industrialist as President, Kilby Steel Company; Chairman, Board of Directors, Alabama Pipe Company; President, City National and Anniston National Banks. Served as Mayor of Anniston (1905-09); State Senator (1911-15); Lieutenant . . . — — Map (db m35758) HM
Called “A poem in cedar & stone,” its history is intimately related to that of Anniston: Town Founders, Daniel Tyler & Samuel Noble, inspired its conception, funded its construction & caused Woodstock Iron Co. to donate the land on which . . . — — Map (db m35759) HM
On July 3, 1887, a congregation of 45 people met at the Opera House on Noble Street to organize a new church. Originally called Second Baptist Church, the name soon was changed to Twelfth Street Baptist Church.
In 1889, it became Parker . . . — — Map (db m36545) HM
Built by John Ward Noble, one of Anniston’s founders. Consecrated on September 29, 1890. Widely acclaimed for unique and beautiful Norman Gothic architecture. The church dominated by imposing 95 foot bell tower.
Open Daily — — Map (db m36540) HM
Temple Beth El is the oldest building continuously used for Jewish worship in Alabama. Anniston’s Reform Jewish congregation was established in 1888. Its women’s organization, the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society, directed the construction of the . . . — — Map (db m36543) HM
In April 1888, the founder of a newly established Reform Jewish congregation purchased twenty-three lots in Hillside Cemetery to bury their deceased members.
In 1987, the City of Anniston vacated right-of-way that allowed the Temple to expand the . . . — — Map (db m53163) HM
Dean of American College Presidents
President of Jacksonville State Normal-State Teachers College 1899-1942
During an Educational Renascence in the South he was in the forefront of the Alabama Educational System
President 1st National Bank . . . — — Map (db m29922) HM
This regiment took part for four years in major battles of Virginia theater. It served with distinction for dash and courage, suffering heavy casualties.
Officers at regiment’s organization June 4, 1861 at Montgomery, Alabama;
Colonel John . . . — — Map (db m36465) HM
This house, "Ten Oaks", was headquarters for Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, Oct. 15-23, 1864, when he coordinated the movement of Gen. J.B. Hood's army, then marching across northeast Alabama enroute to Nashville. He and his retinue, including Gov. I.G. . . . — — Map (db m29919) HM
The Chief Ladiga Trail was named for a Creek Indian leader who signed the Cusseta Treaty in 1832. Under the terms of that agreement, the Creeks gave up claim to their remaining lands in northeast Alabama. Because he had signed the treaty, Ladiga was . . . — — Map (db m36438) HM
This general practitioner's office is the only remaining structure of its type in northeast Alabama. It was built on the court-house square about 1850 by Dr. J. C. Francis, a beloved family doctor who served Jacksonville for more than 50 years. He . . . — — Map (db m23350) HM
Selected as a landmark contributing to a deeper
understanding of our American Heritage.
The National Register of Historic Places
United States Department of the Interior
May 13, 1986
Centered around Jacksonville’s . . . — — Map (db m36479) HM
Jacob Forney III lived and operated a thriving mercantile establishment at Jacksonville from 1835-56 on the south-east corner of the square. He and his wife Sabina Swope Hoke were the parents of nine children.
1. Daniel Peter - b. Feb. 24, 1819, . . . — — Map (db m36450) HM
From 1836 to 1881 the head of the City Government
carried the title of Intendant. After that
that the office has been filled by the Mayor.
The following have served in this capacity:
William Harrison Fleming,
John D. Hoke, . . . — — Map (db m36533) HM
Postoffice established July 20, 1833 as Drayton, Benton County, Alabama. Name changed to Jacksonville Aug. 6, 1834 and county changed to Calhoun Jan. 29, 1858. Office maintained by Confederate Government 1861-1865.
Postmasters and dates of . . . — — Map (db m36449) HM
Town first called Drayton.
Renamed in 1834 to honor
President Andrew Jackson.
Seat moved to Anniston in 1899.
Calhoun Co. originally was Benton Co.,
for Col. T. H. Benton, Creek War officer,
later U. S. Senator from Missouri.
. . . — — Map (db m36471) HM
This Educational Center of
Northeast Alabama Traces its Origin to
Jacksonville Male Academy 1836
Jacksonville Female Academy 1837
Calhoun College 1871
Calhoun Grange College 1878
State Normal School 1883
State Teachers College 1929
. . . — — Map (db m36426) HM
Life here has long centered on education beginning in 1834 when a one-acre plot of land was reserved for a schoolhouse. Through the years, various institutions of higher learning developed that culminated into present-day Jacksonville State . . . — — Map (db m36429) HM
Lawyer, Soldier, Senator
← Lived here in 1838
1862-63 Colonel of
51st Alabama Cavalry
Raised by him in this county
1863-65 Brigadier General C.S.A.
with Wheeler’s Cavalry
1876-1907 United States Senator
Distinguished . . . — — Map (db m36468) HM
Lawyer, Industrialist, Patriot
Brigadier General, U.S.A.
Gen. Burke helped rebuild
Alabama’s mining & manufacturing
interests after the Civil War.
He helped establish the Catholic
Church at Jacksonville.
His home, . . . — — Map (db m36424) HM
Maj. John Pelham
killed at the battle of Kelly's Ford
March 17, 1863
Front base: Pelham
Erected by the General John H. Forney Chapter U.D.C. Jacksonville, . . . — — Map (db m23588) HM
James G. Ryals, Jr. 1883-1885
J. Harris Chappell 1885-1886
Carleton B. Gibson 1886-1892
J. B. Jarrett 1892-1893
Jacob Forney, IV 1893-1899
Clarence William Daugette 1899-1942
Houston Cole 1942-1971
Ernest Stone 1971-1981
Theron E. . . . — — Map (db m36427) HM
The Depot was constructed in 1860 by the Selma, Rome and Dalton (GA) Railroad. It was used as a transfer and storage point for Confederate troops and materials during the War Between the States. — — Map (db m36443) HM
Since 1890 the financial interests of this area have been served by The First National Bank and its predecessor The Tredagar National Bank (an institution of the "Boom" days of Jacksonville)
Organizers were Peyton Rowan, President, Jos. . . . — — Map (db m29480) HM
Prominent citizen of Jacksonville who served Alabama as Brigadier General, State Militia; member Legislature and Pres. of Senate; Circuit Court Judge; and Pres. Ala. and Tenn. Railroad
He owned extensive cotton plantations and mining interests . . . — — Map (db m29921) HM
Brigadier General C.S.A.
With Army of Virginia 1861-1865.
Wounded in battle five times.
He was one of four distinguished sons
of Jacob Forney and Sabina Swope Hoke
of Jacksonville who held commissions
in the Confederate Army.
. . . — — Map (db m36480) HM
The furnace was constructed by Montgomery businessman Alfred A. Janney, reportedly using slaves brought from Tennessee by a "Dr. Smith." The furnace was completed and ready to produce pig iron when, on July 14, 1864, a Union cavalry raiding force of . . . — — Map (db m25544) HM
Cross Plains citizens voted for incorporation March 10, 1871. A second vote was cast for reincorporation May 15, 1882. By the acts of the Alabama Legislature of 1888, Cross Plains became Piedmont September 30, 1888. Mayors for both Cross Plains and . . . — — Map (db m27992) HM
The First Presbyterian Church of Piedmont was organized March 18, 1890, with seventeen charter members, by Rev. B. F. Bedinger, Presbyterian evangelist. Rev. J. E. McLean was the first minister. First elders were C. W. McMahon and Stephen Ferguson; . . . — — Map (db m27993) HM
Beginning as a Methodist mission in the 1850's, the Piedmont First United Methodist Church was organized in 1867 as the Cross Plains Methodist Episcopal Church, South, by Wilson Johnson and a small band of local Methodists. In 1868 a small church . . . — — Map (db m83261) HM
The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad was chartered by the Alabama legislature in the session of 1836-1837. Work was begun at Selma in 1851 and the rails reached Blue Mountain in 1861. Work was terminated during the War Between the States.
In . . . — — Map (db m27995) HM
Dedicated Oct. 15, 1980 and given in memory of those members who gave their lives in World War I & II by the 27th. Division Association whose members trained on this ground 1940-1941 — — Map (db m53009) HM