Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Calhoun County Texas Historical Markers

 
Indianola Marker image, Touch for more information
By Gregory Walker, October 18, 2012
Indianola Marker
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 2642 — Indianola
Many currents of the mainstream of Texas history flow in this onetime port. Pineda explored the coast in 1519 and La Salle planted a settlement near here in 1685. Once an Indian trading point, it was a major seaport from 1844 to 1875. Texas . . . — Map (db m120708) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 3508 — Mrs. Angelina Bell Peyton Eberly(About 1800 - March 15, 1860)
A Tennessean, Angelina Peyton came to Texas in 1822. With her husband, J.C. Peyton, she operated an inn in San Felipe, capital of the Austin colony. Peyton died in 1834; in 1836 the widow married Jacob Eberly. She and Eberly had a hotel in Austin by . . . — Map (db m120710) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 4243 — Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle
(side 1) Born in Rouen France November 22, 1643. Came to Canada in 1668. Founded a first settlement near Montreal. Led several expeditions on the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Illinois rivers. Completed the exploration of the Mississippi, . . . — Map (db m120700) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 4938 — Site of the Town of Indianola1844-1886
First called by German immigrants Karlshaven, an important port of Texas. Cargoes of ships were hauled to and from points in Texas and Mexico by carts until 1860 when the San Antonio and Mexico Gulf Railroad and the Indianola Railroad were completed . . . — Map (db m120706) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17226 — The Chihuahua Road
Between 1844 and 1887, Indianola grew to become a cosmopolitan port city that was second only to Galveston. Indianola became a port for trade and was the eastern terminus of the Chihuahua Road that traveled overland from the mines of Chihuahua city . . . — Map (db m120703) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17475 — The Great Camel Experiment
No immigrants arriving in Indianola were quite as exotic as the seventy-five camels that came ashore in 1856 and 1857 from Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey. As early as 1836, politicians, diplomats and the military were considering the importation . . . — Map (db m120677) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Magnolia Beach — 5952 — Zimmerman Cemetery(One Mile Southeast)
The earliest marked grave in the Zimmerman Cemetery, that of Georchim Wedig, is dated 1852. In 1863, Wedig's daughter Katherine married John Gonzales (1838-1918), who had come to Indianola in 1858 with Joseph Mendez (d. . . . — Map (db m120713) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3855 — Olivia
Established in 1892, the community of Olivia was named for Olivia Haterius, wife of the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius, a Swedish Lutheran minister who bought land in the area and advertised a new settlement to other Swedish immigrants in the Midwest. . . . — Map (db m120734) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3856 — Olivia Cemetery
In 1892, the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius of Galesburg, Illinois, acquired land at this site with the intention of establishing a community for Swedish settlers. He named the settlement for his wife, Olivia. When the townsite was laid out in 1893, land . . . — Map (db m120735) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17992 — Battle of Norris Bridge
In November of 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, the Union Army arrived in Calhoun County. Union and Texas troops rarely met on the field of battle in Texas, as most of the war was concentrated in the east and south of the country. The Union . . . — Map (db m120714) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 12452 — Calhoun County Hurricanes
Severe storms with high winds, heavy rains and tidal surges, hurricanes have played a significant role in events that shaped Calhoun County's history. Entire towns, including Indianola (a key Gulf seaport and Calhoun County seat) and Saluria . . . — Map (db m120674) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17137 — Calhoun County Participation During World War II
Before World War II, Calhoun County was primarily involved in farming, ranching and commercial seafood but after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the county became a major participant in the war effort. In November 1940, much of the county's shoreline . . . — Map (db m120676) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 18423 — Cotton Gins of Calhoun County
After Texas was annexed into the United States in 1846, part of what was once De Leon’s Colony was organized as Calhoun County, giving the county access to valuable cropland and bays—the most important being modern-day Matagorda . . . — Map (db m117439) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 2268 — Green Lake
Named for the nearby tidal lake of the same name, the community of Green Lake began to develop in the late 1840s, although records indicate there were some settlers in the area before that time. A group of wealthy planters from Kentucky migrated to . . . — Map (db m61292) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 2332 — Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse
Constructed in 1858, this three-story hexagonal lighthouse was originally located in Matagorda Bay, at the southern tip of Half Moon reef. The beacon served as an aid to ships trading in Port Lavaca and the nearby town of Indianola (14 mi. SE). . . . — Map (db m53111) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17477 — Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr.
In the mid-twentieth century, Calhoun County was beginning an unprecedented period of growth. Howard G. Hartzog, Sr. was an active community leader who guided the county as a private citizen, county judge and as a state representative by diligently . . . — Map (db m120672) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 18201 — Original Mission Refugio
In 1791, Spaniard priests Manuel De Silva and Joseph Francisco Mariano Garza endeavored to spread the doctrines of Christianity among the native tribes along the Gulf Coast, now called Karankawa, with the added benefit of giving Spain a foothold . . . — Map (db m117448) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 1279 — Port Lavaca
Founded in the aftermath of a Comanche raid on the nearby settlement of Linville, the town of Lavaca (the cow) was established in 1840. The busiest port in the Matagorda Bay area and a major center for over-land export of cattle and other goods, . . . — Map (db m53110) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 3091 — Site of the Town of Linnville
. . . — Map (db m75088) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.