Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Calvert County Maryland Historical Markers

 
Chesapeake Beach Historic Heritage Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, November 4, 2017
Chesapeake Beach Historic Heritage Trail Marker
Maryland (Calvert County), Chesapeake Beach — Chesapeake Beach Historic Heritage Trail
Near this spot in the early 20th century, steam trains from The Chesapeake Beach Railway discharged passengers from Washington DC. They arrived with great expectations for a busy day enjoying the many amusements of the beach and park. The park . . . — Map (db m109665) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Chesapeake Beach — Chesapeake Beach Railway1897-1935
Built by Otto Mears of Colorado in 1897. The train track linking Washington, D.C. to Chesapeake Beach crossed here. The original depot to the east is now the Railway Museum. Excursion steamboats also brought passengers to Chesapeake Beach from . . . — Map (db m731) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Chesapeake Beach — Chesapeake Beach Railway Station
This Property has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior This railroad station, erected in 1898-1899, is the original eastern terminus of the Chesapeake Beach Railway. . . . — Map (db m109617) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Chesapeake Beach — Honor RollNorth, West and Chesapeake Beaches — Chesapeake Beach Veterans' Memorial Park —
[Names not listed] This is a replica of the original Honor Roll that was located at this location circa 1944Map (db m138561) WM
Maryland (Calvert County), Dowell — Amphibious Training Base
This nation's first naval amphibious training base was established here at Solomons where between 1942 and 1945 some 68,000 sailers, marines, coast guardsmen, and soldiers were trained. They formed the major components of the amphibious forces which . . . — Map (db m3435) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Dunkirk — Smithville United Methodist Church
The brick church, dedicated in 1840, is the oldest standing Methodist church in Calvert County. The Calvert Circuit began in 1781 with services in homes. By 1789 this circuit had the largest membership in the United States. Fielder B. Smith gave . . . — Map (db m3417) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Huntingtown — Warships and Raids
War vessels passed by here in 1814. The Chesapeake Flotilla, consisting of 50- and 75-foot gun barges, sought safety in shallow waters upstream. British ships hotly pursued, and Americans eventually scuttled the flotilla to keep it from . . . — Map (db m68044) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lower Marlboro — Lower MarlboroCalvert County — Port town to “front porch” town in 300 years —
Before the American Revolution, Lower Marlborough (the spelling officially changed to Marlboro in the 19th century) was a thriving port town with large homes, inns, stores, warehouses, a sawmill, a tobacco inspection station, and the British . . . — Map (db m94704) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lower Marlboro — Town RavagedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
A British force of about 160 Royal Marines and 30 Colonial Marines (former slaves) took Lower Marlboro on June 15, 1814, without and resistance. Occupying the town overnight, they burned warehouses full of tobacco, stole a schooner, livestock, and . . . — Map (db m80885) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Cove Point Lighthouse3.4 miles
Built in 1828, the oldest operating lighthouse in Maryland. The prism lens used today was manufactured in Paris and installed in 1897. The original 38-foot tower was built of locally manufactured brick and was raised about 1912 to 51 feet. In 1953 . . . — Map (db m3440) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Middleham Chapel
Founded, 1684, as a chapel of ease in Christ Church parish and named for Middleham, Yorkshire, England. The site has been used for worship since the founding, but the chapel was rebuilt in 1748. The bell, given by John Holdsworth, is dated 1699. — Map (db m3436) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Morgan Hill Farm
The tract, originally known as Morgan’s Fresh, was granted, 1651, to Philip Morgan, a captain in the Puritan militia. The house, which overlooks St. Leonard Creek, was built before 1670 and served as a lookout station in the War of 1812 and the . . . — Map (db m3437) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Preston on Patuxent
Home of Richard Preston, Commander of the North Bank of the Patuxent River 1649. Seat of the Puritan Government of Maryland where the colonial records were kept 1653–1657. — Map (db m3462) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — The Cliffs of Calvert
First described in 1608 by Captain John Smith and marked on his map. One of the most unusual natural curiosities in the state. → — Map (db m3439) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Beach & PierPicturing the Past
The Town of North Beach, Calvert County's northernmost municipality, was originally called "North Chesapeake Beach" when it was first developed for summer cottages in 1900. Before then, this view of the beach itself had changed relatively little . . . — Map (db m138545) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Beach Buccaneers
The Beach Buccaneers Youth Club is non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging youth to participate in sports. Founded by the first club President, Yogi Sweeney along with Buddy Simonds, John Thomas and Bill Thomas, the Buccaneers had their . . . — Map (db m138536) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Cliffs of Calvert
The Cliffs of Calvert dominate the shoreline for 30 miles along the coast of Calvert County. They are as impressive a sight today as they were in 1608 when Captain John Smith came upon them "Rickard Cliffs". The cliffs were formed over 15 million . . . — Map (db m138550) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Early BusinessesPicturing the Past
The shores of the Chesapeake Bay are the perfect place to watch the ebb and flow of the tides. Just as with the tides, the small town of North Beach has experimented many changes in its history. The town's original heyday began in the early . . . — Map (db m138559) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Lt Brendan Looney
In memory of Lt Brendan Looney, Seal Team 3 Afghanistan, September 21, 2010 Lt. Stephen Clagett, Jr., Calvert County, Dematha and Seal teammate — Map (db m138540) WM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — North Beach Boardwalk
There was a boardwalk in North Beach as early as the 1930's. The structure was only two blocks long, from 5th to 7th Street on Atlantic Avenue. It was destroyed by the hurricane of 1933. The boardwalk was rebuilt several times following storm . . . — Map (db m138547) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — North Beach Pier
A pier has stood on this site since the 1920's, when Captain Oscar Marshall's Crab House was at the end of the pier facing a dance pavilion The original pier was destroyed in the 1933 hurricane. A larger pier replaced it that included a lower deck . . . — Map (db m138538) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Russell David HallJune 12, 1925 - June 5, 2005 — The Town of North Beach, Calvert County, MD. —
May the road rise to meet you May the wind be always at your back May the sunshine warm Upon your face May the rains fall soft upon your fields And until we meet again May God hold you in the palm of His hands. Russell . . . — Map (db m138542) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Sharps Island Lighthouse
Sharps Island Lighthouse, one of the cassion-type lighthouses left on the Bay, sits on the sand bar of Tilghman Island. The lighthouse leans to one side because of damage caused by ice in the early 1970's. The sand bar is all that remains of Sharps . . . — Map (db m138535) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — The Bay Bridge
Look to the north on a clear day and you can catch a glimpse of the William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial Bridge, commonly referred to as the Bay Bridge. Spanning the Chesapeake Bay between Sandy Point and Stevensville, the bridge stretches more than 4 . . . — Map (db m138539) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — The Town of North Beach
The Town of North Beach was incorporated in 1910. It was developed and marketed as a waterfront resort by the North Beach Land and Improvement Company. In 1906, the company opened a road between Chesapeake Beach and what was then called North . . . — Map (db m138548) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), North Beach — Working Watermen
The Chesapeake Bay has a long tradition of providing a livelihood for working watermen. More crabs have been harvested from the Bay than from any other body of water in the world. Innumerable crab pot buoys, each painted a different color and . . . — Map (db m138537) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Owings — A County in RuinStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
British raiding parties brought the war to Calvert County in 1814, destroying plantations and towns and carrying away the spoils. With the county’s tobacco-based economy and England as its primary market at the start of the war, Britain’s blockade . . . — Map (db m80882) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Owings — Calvert County
Established as Patuxent County in 1654, it was given Lord Baltimore’s family name in 1658. Now the state's smallest county, it once encompassed most of Prince George’s County and parts of Anne Arundel and St. Mary’s counties. A narrow peninsula with . . . — Map (db m3415) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Owings — Lower Marlboro Town
Originally Cox Town, named for early settlers Thomas and Henry Cox (1663). Changed to Marlborough to honor Duke for defeating French at Battle of Blenheim (1704), which reduced French and Indian attacks on the colonies. An early port of entry . . . — Map (db m3418) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — Christ Church(Episcopal) — 1672 —
One of the original parishes of the Province of Maryland and Calvert County’s oldest continuously worshipping congregation, Christ Church began with a log church standing as early as 1672. Christ Church parish, 1692, included all the land south of . . . — Map (db m3441) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — One-Room School
Port Republic School No. 7, built about 1870 and closed in 1932. One teacher usually taught seven grades. Children walked to school from as far as three miles away. In the 59 similar schools throughout Calvert County, enrollment averaged about 30. . . . — Map (db m3442) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — School #7Rural One-Room School During Segregation — Calvert County — Port Republic —
Port Republic School #7 was built on this site around 1870 and remained in continuous use until it was closed in 1932. This school is from a time when free public education for all was a new concept in post-Civil War America. This schoolhouse . . . — Map (db m66097) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — Veitch’s Cove
James Veitch, born 1628 in Roxburghshire, Scotland. Settled at Veitch’s Cove, later known as Veitch’s Rest, an original land patent granted by Lord Baltimore in 1649. Sheriff of Calvert County 1653–1657. Died 1685. — Map (db m3443) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Arthur Storer Planetarium
Arthur Storer (c. 1642–1686), the first astronomer in the American Colonies, came to Calvert County from Lincolnshire, England. He was among the first observers to sight and record data describing Haley's comet on its return in 1682. His . . . — Map (db m3450) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Battle Creek Cypress Swamp2 miles
A Bald Cypress Reserve and amphibian sanctuary. One of the last remaining stands of Bald Cypress in Maryland, and the most northerly growth in the Country. Registered as a National Landmark, 1965. — Map (db m3451) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — British VengeanceStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
British forces landed at Hallowing Point July 21, 1814. They took 21 slaves and destroyed the home and barn of Colonel Benjamin Mackall. This was perhaps retaliation for the house being used by Calvert County militia.

“About 300 men . . . — Map (db m80892) HM

Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Joseph & James WilkinsonTwo revolutionary leaders who grew up on farm south of Hunting Creek
Joseph Wilkinson was colonel in the Revolution and a legislator. His younger brother James, an adventurer, first attained general’s rank in 1777 at the age of 20. James built a grist-mill nearby, became General-in-Chief of the army, was Military . . . — Map (db m3453) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Old Wallville Schoolca. 1880-1934
Oldest standing one-room schoolhouse for African American students in Calvert County. Offered education for grades 1-7 in the Wallville community. Illustrates the segregated educational facilities of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. . . . — Map (db m54367) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Panic in Prince Frederick
Imagine the horror of a night-time raid! Residents of Prince Frederick must have known they were British targets, as recent raids had already devastated nearby Lower Marlboro, St. Leonard, and Huntingtown. Alarm spread with news of . . . — Map (db m68045) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Prince Frederick Library “Firsts”
The west wing of this library was built in 1903 on Main Street as the County’s first bank. In 1913, it was replaced, moved and became the County’s first library; 1916 County’s first Boy Scoot Troop met there; 1921 it was County’s first high school; . . . — Map (db m3454) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — St. John’s Holiness Church
On this site stood St. John’s Holiness Church. Dedicated 1900. Removed 1936. Rededicated to Prince Frederick Methodist Cemetery Corporation 1986. — Map (db m3455) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Veterans Green — [Prince Frederick, MD] —
Monument 1 [north lawn] : Veterans Green Dedicated Memorial Day May 31, 1999 World War II Memorial [west lawn, north face]: Dedicated to the glory of almighty God in memory of Calvert County men and women who . . . — Map (db m45309) WM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — W. S. Brooks High School
The first public high school for African Americans in Calvert County was opened in 1938 and served until desegregation in 1966. Named for William Sampson Brooks (1865–1934). Born in Calvert County, Rev. Brooks was an advocate of education, . . . — Map (db m29522) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — World War Memorial
The soldiers and sailors from Calvert County who lost their lives in the World War. George Armiger • Solomon Barnes • Wm T Dorsey • Arck L Lore • William N Marquess • Thomas Osborne • Reuben Pitcher • Murray A Sherbert • Irving R Stallings • . . . — Map (db m45294) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Scoot (Reproduction)20' × 4'6" — V Bottom —
Scoot was built in 1989 by Winslow Womack of St. Michaels, Maryland. Her design is based on plans by Howard I. Chapelle for a 20-foot Chesapeake "sharpie," a craft with a double-ended hull and a shallow, V-shaped bottom. The boat is similar . . . — Map (db m138601) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Spirit22' × 7' — Round Bottom —
Spirit was designed and built by Ernest H. "Dick" Hartge at Eustis, Florida, in 1976. Dick Hartge was originally from Galesville, Maryland, where he built many of the well-known Chesapeake 20s. Spirit resembles a Chesapeake 20 but with . . . — Map (db m138599) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Volunteer
This land-locked "boat" was built over 2011-12 in the form of a scaled-down classic Chesapeake bugeye. The two-masted bugeye was originally developed in the 19th century for oyster harvesting. Solomons built more bugeyes than anywhere else on the . . . — Map (db m138564) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Anchor
Five thousand pound anchor from the USS Valcour, a seaplane tender and a research vessel. Vessel was stripped for salvage at the U.S. Navy Ordinance Testing Station at Solomons in 1976. Anchor was originally aboard USS Portsmouth . . . — Map (db m138562) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Anchor
Iron anchor from round stern, gaffed-rigged bugeye Catherine. The anchor was found in the Chesapeake Bay off Dares Beach and recovered by Capt. Martin O'Berry. The Catherine was built by M. M. Davis in Solomons in 1911 and owned by . . . — Map (db m138563) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Apt AnchorageStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
The point to the north protruding into the river is appropriately called “Point Patience” as it was difficult to maneuver around in the era of sail. The south side of the point provided good anchorage, visibility, protection from other . . . — Map (db m81121) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Becker House145 Charles Street — Outreach classroom and guest apartments. —
Built in 1924 by Clarence Davis as a general store operated by Gus, Sam and Hyman Becker; later converted to a laundromat. Acquired by CBL in 2000. — Map (db m138618) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Benning Crab Skiff16' × 5'3" × 1'8" — Flat Bottom —
This flat-bottom crabbing skiff was built around 1920 by Harry Benning at Galesville, Maryland. A Clinton air-cooled engine was installed in the 1930s, but the former sail rig was retained. She is currently outfitted for trotlining. A trotline . . . — Map (db m138575) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Box Stern Workboat John A. Ryder40'6" × 12' × 2'6" — V Bottom —
John A. Ryder represents the most common type of Chesapeake Bay workboat, with its V-bottom and flat box-stern. These gradually replaced earlier powerboats like the adjacent Penguin. John A. Ryder was built in 1944 as the . . . — Map (db m138589) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Built for Work — Built for PleasureTraditional Boats of Southern Maryland
"The Chesapeake Bay has been known from the earliest times for the speed and beauty of its vessels" — Henry Hall, 1884 For centuries, wooden boats served as the primary means of transportation and communication, and chief tool . . . — Map (db m138566) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Calvert County
Established as Patuxent County in 1654, it was given Lord Baltimore’s family name in 1658. Now the state's smallest county, it once encompassed most of Prince George’s County and parts of Anne Arundel and St. Mary’s counties. A narrow peninsula with . . . — Map (db m3416) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Calvert Marine Museum's Dee of St. Mary's
Stats Like all Chesapeake skipjacks, the Dee of St. Mary's has a shallow draft to negotiate the waters along the shorelines and a wide bottom for stability. She is constructed mostly of white oak and spruce pine.
56' . . . — Map (db m138610) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Chaney Rail Skiff16'7" × 3'4" × 1' — Flat Bottom —
Rail skiffs were used almost exclusively for hunting rail birds in season in the early autumn. The marshes of the upper Patuxent River were once one of the most well known hunting grounds in the mid-Atlantic region. In use, a gunner stood in front, . . . — Map (db m138595) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
Founded by R.V. Truitt, 1925. Sponsored by Maryland Conservation Department since 1931, in cooperation with Carnegie Institution, Johns Hopkins and Maryland universities, Goucher, St. John's, Washington, and Western Maryland colleges "to afford a . . . — Map (db m3456) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Colonial Dugout or Punt (Reproduction)15'3" × 2'2" × 1' — Round Bottom Log —
During the early colonial period, boatbuilders were in short supply. As most settlements were built along the Chesapeake's rivers and creeks, there was a great need for small boats of any kind. Colonists, using metal-edged tools, were able to refine . . . — Map (db m138584) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Crab Skiff Pep (Reproduction)18'6 × 3'8" × 1' — Flat Bottom —
In 1940, noted maritime historian Howard I. Chapelle documented a small flat-bottom, double-ended crab skiff at Deal Island, Maryland. This was one of the many varieties of Chesapeake crab skiffs noted by Chapelle in two articles written for . . . — Map (db m138591) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Drum Point Lighthouse1883-1962
This lighthouse, installed in 1883, originally stood 125 yards offshore at the entrance of the Patuxent River to the Chesapeake Bay. The foundation on which the cottage living quarters rest consist of seven wrought iron screw piles, hand bored into . . . — Map (db m3457) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Drum Point Lighthouse
“The necessity of a light at this point is very great, as all vessels bound up or down the Chesapeake put in at this place during the winter to seek protection from floating ice; and as the entrance is formed by a low sand spit, which cannot . . . — Map (db m60232) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Enemy BlockadeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
British warships blockaded the mouth of the Patuxent River after the Chesapeake Flotilla and Royal Navy skirmished off Cedar Point to the south June 1, 1814. Drum Point to the north served as a major British anchorage. The British made mischief in . . . — Map (db m81120) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Five-Log Canoe Shamrock40'8" × 9'4" × 3'10" — Round Bottom Log —
Shamrock was built around 1908 near Poquoson, Virginia. She has the dimensions of a sailing "brogan," a predecessor to the larger bugeye, but was probably designed as a powerboat. By the time of her construction, few large log-hulled boats . . . — Map (db m138587) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Hooper Island Launch Penguin45' × 9'8" × 4'2" — V Bottom —
Penguin represents a once-numerous class of V-bottom boats known as Hooper Island launches, draketails, ducktails, or torpedo-sterns. Many were built on Hooper Island, Maryland, in the 1920s and 1930s; hence the name. The launches were . . . — Map (db m138592) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Humphreys Rowing Skiff12'6" × 4'2" × 6 — Flat Bottom —
Flat-bottom skiffs offer the advantage of simple design and low cost construction. This skiff was built around 1928 by Harry Humphreys of Rousby Hall, Maryland, a carpenter at M. M. Davis & Son shipyard, who intended it for local transportation and . . . — Map (db m138568) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — J. C. Lore & Sons Oyster House
Joseph C. Lore, Sr., began shipping seafood from Solomons Island in 1888 and established a packing house at this site in 1912. Three generations of Lore family packed and shipped Patuxent River oysters, crabs and fish until 1978. Present building . . . — Map (db m3459) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Jenkins Creek Crab Scrape Geda17'6" × 6' × 2'2" — V Bottom —
Geda is a scaled-down version of a wide V-bottom boat once commonly found in the area of Tangier Sound. The boat was built by Leon Marsh of Rodes Point, Smith Island, Maryland, around 1955, but has its origins in earlier sailing crab scrapes. . . . — Map (db m138576) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Jolly Boat16' × 4'8" × 8" — Round Bottom —
A jolly boat is a general purpose ship's boat usually carried about deck or on stern davits. This example was formerly carried by the 75-foot gasoline launch Chicago, built in 1916 by the St. Louis Boat Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. . . . — Map (db m138578) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Leatherbury Sailing Bateau19'8" × 7'2" × 1'8" — V Bottom —
Traditionally, Chesapeake V-bottom sailing craft were commonly referred to as "bateaux," a term not much used today. This bateau was built by Capt. Ed Leatherbury (1863 - 1952) of Shadyside, Maryland, in the early 1900s and was used as part of his . . . — Map (db m138582) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — M. M. Davis Shipyard1885–1974
1885 Marcellus M. Davis established his shipyard at this location, in 1913 the yard was moved to larger quarters across the harbor on Mill Creek. During the 1930’s, Davis’ yard produced many outstanding wooden yachts which brought international fame . . . — Map (db m3460) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Mansueti Laboratory146 Williams Street
Built in 1980 and dedicated in 1992 to honor Dr. Romeo Mansueti (1923-1964), a former CBL fishery scientist, naturalist, and biological illustrator. This building is home to CBL's administrative offices. Housed within are the Business . . . — Map (db m138619) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Marine Railway Gears
Gift: Gorman A. Buckler CMM74.521 Set of cast iron gears formerly used to operate the marine railway at M.M. Davis and Son shipyard on Mill Creek, Solomons, Maryland: The gears were originally powered by steam and later converted to electricity. A . . . — Map (db m60231) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Menace on the HorizonStar-Spangled Banner National Historical Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Terror reigned along the Patuxent River in 1814. British invaders plundered and burned towns and plantations on both sides of the river. Menacing warships within view on Somervell’s Island (present-day Solomons) blockaded the river’s mouth, cutting . . . — Map (db m81097) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Oyster Skiff25' × 8' × 2' — Flat Bottom —
This large, flat-bottom, oyster-tonging skiff was built by Ruby Dixon at Olivet, Maryland, in 1948. From 1959 until its donation in 1990, the skiff was owned by Melvin Owen Grover who used her to hand-tong for oysters in the Patuxent River. The boat . . . — Map (db m138580) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Parish House180 Farren Avenue
Built in 1954. After acquisition by CBL in 1991, it was named after the Solomons Episcopal Rectory and Parish House formerly occupying the site part of which had been used by CBL founder Dr. R. V. Truitt as a research laboratory. Home . . . — Map (db m138620) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Ped-L-Craft
In 1939, the M.M. Davis shipyard of Solomons built a fleet of a wood pedal-powered pontoon boats called the Ped-L-Craft for the Pedal Boat Company of America. The Ped-L-Craft consists of a stable platform mounted on two pontoons and propelled by one . . . — Map (db m138603) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Perils along the PatuxentStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Southern Maryland was a dangerous place to live in the hot summer of 1814. British raiding parties traveled the Patuxent River and swept through the countryside terrorizing civilians and taking provisions for British troops gathering in the area. . . . — Map (db m81096) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Portion of Hull, Unidentified BugeyeRound Bottom Log
The hull fragment from an unidentified bugeye was recovered from the Magothy River in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The fragment forms part of the bottom of a seven- or nine-log bugeye of early vintage. Clearly evident is the slot in the center log . . . — Map (db m138588) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Potomac River Dory Boat Let's See26' × 8'8" × 2'8" — V Bottom —
Potomac River dory boats were one of the few V-bottom workboats built on the Chesapeake that were planked fore-and-aft on the bottom, rather than cross-planked. This type was developed on the Potomac River in the later 1800s for oystering under . . . — Map (db m138581) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Power Bateau19' × 6'9" × 1'4" — V Bottom —
This nineteen-foot oystering and crabbing boat was built in 1983 by Francis Goddard of Piney Point, Maryland. Although of relatively recent origin, her design is traditional and she is one of the last of her type to be built in Southern Maryland. . . . — Map (db m138602) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Pre-Colonial Dugout (Reproduction)14'8" × 2'2" × 1'1" — Round Bottom Log —
Dugout log canoes were used (and still are used) by many primitive societies throughout much of the world. The first colonists to the Chesapeake found the local Indian using the dugouts for transportation and fishing. A suitable tree trunk was . . . — Map (db m138583) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Sailing Bateau Witch of the Wave16' × 5'11" — V Bottom —
Ernest H. "Dick" Hartge started building boats at Galesville, on the West River in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, in the 1920s. He later acquired a fleet of hire boats built and formerly owned by Ed Leatherbury of nearby Shadyside. Hartge moved to . . . — Map (db m138600) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Saunders House140 Charles Street — Faculty and Staff offices and meeting facilities —
Built in the early 1890s as a general store and ice cream parlor run by Thomas and Bertie Saunders. In the 1930s it became a gathering place for local watermen. Acquired by CBL in 1994. — Map (db m138617) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Sewell Draketail Workboat36' × 7'6" × 2'8" — V Bottom —
This 36-foot powerboat is a local type usually described as a Hooper Island "draketail" or "ducktail." It was developed in the early years of the twentieth century and known for its sleek lines and round, reverse-rake stern. Built at Broomes . . . — Map (db m138597) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Solomons House & Visitor Center200 Farren Avenue — CBL Visitor Center. —
The oldest structure in Solomons, dating from ca. 1780. Isaac Solomon, the island's namesake, lived here after he bought the island in 1865, establishing the first oyster cannery on the Patuxent River. Acquired by CBL in 1994. — Map (db m138621) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Solomon's Island
Originally called Bourne's (1680), then Somervell's Island (1740). It became known as Solomon's Island (1867) because of Isaac Solomon's oyster packing facilities here. Shipyards developed to support the island's fishing fleet. The famed "bugeye" . . . — Map (db m8929) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — The Ark of Hungerford Creek
The Ark of Hungerford Creek has its origin thousands of miles away in Stettin, Germany, with the construction in 1906 of passenger liner Kronprinzessin Cecilie for the North German Lloyd company. After a number of transatlantic voyages the . . . — Map (db m138614) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — The Business End of a Screwpile
Screwpile lighthouses like Drum Point get their name from the pilings which were screwed into the seabed to support the lighthouse structure. This cast-iron auger and attached section of wrought-iron pile were recovered from the original site of . . . — Map (db m138609) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — The Chesapeake Bay BugeyeA Memorial to Those who Fished the Bay and Built Their Boats
The first frame bugeye, the Carrie, was built on Solomons Island in 1870. The bugeye was a Chesapeake Bay work boat. It was used in the oystering industry for hauling freight. The bugeye is a symbol of the Chesapeake Bay Heritage of Solomons . . . — Map (db m138615) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — This flagpole
This flagpole is reputedly made from the mast of the sailing brogan James Aubrey. The mast was removed when the vessel was converted to power and used to transport students to the Solomons School from 1925 to 1935. The Solomons School is now . . . — Map (db m138611) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Three-Log Canoe31'7" × 6'11" × 2'4" — Round Bottom Log —
The three-log canoe such as this was the classic oystering tonging boat of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Watermen used long-handled tongs, in a scissors-like fashion, to scoop oysters from the shallower waters of the bay and . . . — Map (db m138586) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Two-Log Canoe Bar Dog26' × 5' × 2' — Round Bottom Log —
Bar Dog got its name from the oyster toadfish, called "bar dogs" by watermen. This is a rare two-log canoe, built in Virginia around 1870. At some point, the canoe was converted from sail to power. It had a Palmer Bros. marine engine when it . . . — Map (db m138585) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Waterman's Shed
This shed was built ca. 1900 at Otterpoint, Patuxent River. Orrie Laveille lived in this shed during the oyster season, from which he oystered on the Patuxent River. The shed was moved by barge around 1910 to Tongue Cove, Helen Creek by the Tongue . . . — Map (db m138612) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Welcome to Drum Point Lighthouse
"The necessity of a light at this point is very great, as all vessels bound up or down the Chesapeake put in at this place during the winter to seek protection from floating ice; and as the entrance is formed by a low sand spit, which . . . — Map (db m138607) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Whittington Rail Skiff16' × 3'2" × 1' — Flat Bottom —
Luther E. Whittington built this rail skiff in 1926 for Clifton O. Whittington, who started as a professional "pusher" of rail skiffs on the Patuxent River in 1923. In the marshes, boats were pushed using a long push pole. Two oak paddles were also . . . — Map (db m138596) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Wm. B. Tennison
Wm. B. Tennison was built in 1899 by Frank Laird at Crab Island near Oriole, Maryland. Her hull is constructed in traditional Chesapeake log canoe fashion-nine large pine logs. Hollowed out and fastened together. She was built as a two-mastered . . . — Map (db m60233) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Wm. B. Tennison
Wm. B. Tennison was built in 1899 by Frank Laird at Crab Island near Oriole, Maryland. Her hull is constructed in traditional Chesapeake log canoe fashion — nine large pine logs, hollowed out and fastened together. She was built as a . . . — Map (db m138608) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Yawl Boat17'3" × 7'3" × 2'8" — Round Bottom —
Chesapeake Bay sailing vessels typically carried a small boat, commonly referred to as a "yawl boat." This was used to help maneuver in and out of harbors, or other restricted waters, or when the wind dropped. This yawl boat was built in Deltaville, . . . — Map (db m138594) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — “The Commodore Can Beat Any…Barges…Sent Against Him”Maryland Republican, June 18, 1814 — Second Battle of St. Leonard Creek —
As dawn approached on June 26th, 1814, the United States Chesapeake Flotilla and American shore batteries launched a poorly-coordinated attack against the British.

Under the cover of darkness, U.S. Army and Marine units, aided by 20 flotillamen, . . . — Map (db m81031) WM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — “We Must Have Done Them Considerable Damage”Captain Joshua Barney June 11, 1814 — First Battle of St. Leonard Creek —
After encountering superior British naval forces, Commodore Barney retreated into the relative safety of St. Leonard Creek, which was easily defendable because of its narrow entrance and high banks. One June 8th, 9th, and 10th, the British sent wave . . . — Map (db m81004) WM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — A Place in Chesapeake History
Here, where St. Leonard Creek meets the Patuxent River, people lived and events took place that helped shape the region’s — and America’s — history. Look downriver towards Solomons and see the Governor Thomas Johnson Bridge in the . . . — Map (db m94695) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect
Emphasizing functional requirements as well as traditional Chesapeake Tidewater architecture, Gertrude Sawyer designed 26 Colonial Revival buildings for Patterson’s Point Farm from 1932 to 1955. A graduate of the first class (1919) of the Cambridge . . . — Map (db m80972) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — BrewhouseSurveyed 1651 — 5½ Miles. ← Mackall’s Landing. —
Birthplace of Thomas Johnson (1732–1819), member of Continental Congress 1774. Nominated Washington as Commander-in-Chief Continental Army 1775. First elected Governor of Maryland 1777. Associate Justice United States Supreme Court 1791. — Map (db m3467) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Discovery of a Colonial PlantationKing’s Reach Site
For more than 300 years, farmers have grown crops in this field. In the 1980s, archaeologists noticed historic objects on the surface in one area of the plowed field. To learn more about early rural life in Maryland, they carefully collected the . . . — Map (db m80921) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Early Settlements
Town of St. Leonard was originally, in 1663, at mouth of St. Leonard Creek. By 1706, when chartered by Maryland General Assembly as a port of entry, it had been moved to head of creek near here. British forces burned its wharves and warehouses July . . . — Map (db m3464) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Evidence Found in the GroundKing's Reach Site
Information about the people who lived here comes from the items that they left behind, such as objects discarded or lost. People also leave behind the remains of their buildings, as well as evidence of some of their daily activities. Archaeologist . . . — Map (db m80904) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Excavation Process Gathers the Most InformationKings Reach Site
Before excavations began, archaeologist collected artifacts from the surface of the plowed field to determine the site’s size and age. Based on the location of these objects, researchers developed a plan to gain the maximum amount of information . . . — Map (db m80915) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Fate of the FlotillaStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Some of the fiercest fighting of the war occurred here, where St. Leonard Creek meets the Patuxent River. During the summer of 1814, the British navy tried to flush out and destroy Commodore Joshua Barney’s Chesapeake Flotilla—a rag-tag . . . — Map (db m80899) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Idyllic Retreat — Beach House on the Point
The Chesapeake has long been a place to enjoy. This small waterside bath house came complete with men's and ladies' changing rooms, electricity and plumbing, Unusual for any structure in this part of Calvert County in the early 1930s. This was Mr. . . . — Map (db m95138) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Indian Life at the Stearns Site
Were There Indians in Calvert County? This is a common question. In the early 1600s A.D., there were several small, closely-related Indian chiefdoms in the area. The most influential group called itself “Patuxent,” a name we now use for . . . — Map (db m80902) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Jefferson Patterson Park & MuseumWelcome to Another World
Enter another world one that had existed in the Chesapeake Bay region long before Europeans came to settle here. Follow this trail to a re-created Native American Village, where you will learn about the Eastern Woodland people who lived . . . — Map (db m80922) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Jefferson Patterson Park & MuseumState Museum of Archaeology
Welcome to Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum (JPPM), State Museum of Archaeology, where we explore the changing cultures and environment of the Chesapeake Bay region over the past 12,000 years.

You can investigate the thousands of years of . . . — Map (db m80923) HM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — John Stuart SkinnerWitness to Fort’s Bombardment
“Ruffian, Patriot, and Philanthropist…” John Quincy Adams.

Born in Calvert County, by 1813 John Stuart Skinner was a Purser for the U.S. Navy, in charge of purchases and accounts for the United States Chesapeake Flotilla. When . . . — Map (db m81064) HM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — June 1814 — War Visits the Patuxent — Battle At The Mouth of St. Leonard Creek —
Instead of this peaceful scene in front of you, imagine the air. hazy with smoke brightened by the flare of gunfire and rockets. Hear booming cannons, screaming rockets, yelling and shouting. Right here at the mouth of St. Leonard Creek is' where . . . — Map (db m95871) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — King's Reach Post Mold PatternsKing’s Reach Site
As wooden building posts decay in the ground, they form distinctly-colored soils that archaeologists call post molds. The location and spacing of post molds provide important clues about the size of a building, the arrangements of its rooms, and how . . . — Map (db m80906) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Land Battle EvidenceArtifacts Key to Battlefield — Possible Site of American Cannon Battery —
In 2000, archaeologists at Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum examined three areas, including the hill directly ahead. The research was funded by the National Park Service’s American Battlefield Protection Program.

None of the artifacts found . . . — Map (db m81032) HM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Naval WarfareBarges, Boats, & Frigates — The Opposing Forces —
During the Battles of St. Leonard Creek, the United States Chesapeake Flotilla consisted of the sloop Scorpion armed with four cannon, 13 barges with two cannon each, the one-gun row galley Vigilant, and a lookout boat and two gunboats, each armed . . . — Map (db m80932) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Smith’s St. Leonard SiteAn Unexpected Discovery
Between 1767 and 1773, two neighbors-Thomas Johnson (father of Maryland’s first state governor) and Walter Smith-twice went to court to settle a dispute about the boundary of Smith’s plantation of St. Leonard. Many local residents were called to . . . — Map (db m80954) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — St. Leonard CreekScene of naval battles during War of 1812
In June, 1814, Maryland's Commodore Joshua Barney commanded American flotilla of barges, gunboats and a sloop in attacks on superior British forces in Patuxent River and its tributary, St. Leonard Creek. After flotilla moved up Patuxent and was . . . — Map (db m3463) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — St. Leonard Polling House and Garden of Remembrance
This polling house was built in 1926 and residents voted here until 1974. The Garden of Remembrance honors all those held dear in the hearts of area residents. It also honors First Ladies Mrs. John Quincy Adams and Mrs. Zachary Taylor, who were . . . — Map (db m3469) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Sukeek’s Cabin: A Proud Tradition Lives On
JPPM archaeologists had long known that a stone house foundation, overgrown with weeds, sat in the woods in front of you. But who had lived there was a mystery. Then in 1996, two former local residents---Daniel and Minnie Octavia Gross Brown---were . . . — Map (db m81090) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — The Government at St. Leonard’s
You are now standing on the house site of Richard Smith, Sr., who in 1657 was appointed to fill the newly created office of Attorney General for Maryland.

The following year, this plantation---“St. Leonard’s---was used by the colonial . . . — Map (db m80970) HM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — The Search for the Chesapeake FlotillaHigh Technology Locates Ships
Underwater archaeology is often more difficult than terrestrial archaeology, especially when visibility is poor because of salty water. Side scan sonars and magnetometers (sophisticated metal detectors) are employed in the search for underwater . . . — Map (db m80987) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — The War of 1812 Living HistoryA Living Legacy
At Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum, living history is an important way to educate visitors about the museum’s important role in the War of 1812. Recognizing the importance of making history come to life, Richard Fischer, Jr. has been instrumental . . . — Map (db m80951) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Turning PointStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
The original St. Leonard’s Town, at the head of St. Leonard Creek, served as the Chesapeake Flotilla’s base in June 1814. The flotilla moved out after intense fighting on June 26, exposing the town to destructive British raids.

The town site . . . — Map (db m80893) HM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Valor at St. Leonard CreekLetters from Commodore Joshua Barney
“One of the enemy’s rockets fell on board one of our barges, and, after passing through one of the men (one of only three Americans to die from a British rocket during the entire war in Maryland) set the barge on fire…a barrel of powder and . . . — Map (db m81057) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — War on the WaterStar-Spangled National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
The largest naval engagement in Maryland took place in St. Leonard Creek in June 1814. Americans prevailed in a series of skirmishes June 8-10, but the British ultimately trapped them in the creek. The first battle had little effect.

On June 26, . . . — Map (db m80898) HM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — Weapons of WarAmerican Artillery — Replica Fiberglass Cannon on Carriage —
The replica 18-pounder cannon located on the hill is similar to the type used by American forces during the Battle of St. Leonard Creek. “18-pounder” refers to the weight of the cannonballs, which were approximately five inches in . . . — Map (db m80929) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — What is this Big White Building?
The Maryland Archaeological Conservation (MAC) Laboratory is a state-of-the-art archaeological research, conservation and collections facility. Opened in 1998, the Lab holds the State’s archaeological artifact collections. In the labs, the often . . . — Map (db m81091) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — What Life Was Like HereKing’s Reach Site
The main house probably had two rooms on the first floor, a sleeping loft upstairs, a chimney made of mud and brick, and a shed facing the river. Archaeologists speculate that a room for storing dairy foods was located off the north side. By looking . . . — Map (db m80913) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — All Saints Episcopal Church
All Saints, one of the original parishes of Maryland, included all the land north of Hunting Creek in Calvert County. The present church was started in 1774 by exchange of tobacco under the rectorship of Reverend Thomas John Clagett, later the first . . . — Map (db m3470) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — Harriet Elizabeth Brown
During the period of racially segregated education, elementary school teacher Brown enlisted the N.A.A.C.P. and attorney Thurgood Marshall to challenge the inequity of separate salary scales for public school teachers based on race. Her case was . . . — Map (db m5573) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — The First All Saints Church
Authorized in 1692 by the Maryland Assembly the first All Saints (log) Church was built near this site "at the cross-roads of the Severn Ridge Path and the road leading to Coxtown" on land donated by early French Huguenot settler Thomas Hilleary . . . — Map (db m3471) HM

134 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020