Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Carbon County Utah Historical Markers

 
Rock Asphalt Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
Rock Asphalt Marker
Utah (Carbon County), East Carbon — Rock Asphalt
Rock asphalt was first mined at the top of Whitmore Canyon - 15 mi. NE of this location - in the early 1890's. The mine closed in 1898 & re-opened in 1903. It operated erratically until 1915 when it was forced to close due to the development of . . . — Map (db m148003) HM
Utah (Carbon County), East Carbon — 272 — Settlement of East Carbon
Early settlers in Whitmore Canyon, later called Sunnyside, were Jefferson Tidwell, his family and a brother John, who grazed cattle in the area prior to building their home in 1897. They located a vein of coal, sold it to the Utah Fuel Company for . . . — Map (db m148001) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — 167 South Main Street — Helper Historic District
This one-story red brick commercial building was built in 1927 by Helper Securities. Five business storefronts completed the whole of this larger building. The northernmost portion at 167 South Main Street was occupied by the Success Meat and . . . — Map (db m148211) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — 80 South Main Street — Helper Historic District
This single-story, red brick, commercial one-part block building was originally owned by John Milon, George Gigoumakis, and Steve Zoulakis. The building was at one time an O.P. Skaggs meat and grocery store operated by Barney Hyde. Mr. Hyde was also . . . — Map (db m148217) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — S-74 — Bamberger Monument — Utah Historic Site
Erected in 1918, by inmates of The Utah State Penitentiary. This monument honors Simon Bamberger, Governor of Utah from 1917 through 1920. Under a state law passed in 1911 permitting prisoners to work on State roads, the prisoners participated in . . . — Map (db m148288) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Carbon Hotel
The Carbon Hotel was built in the early 1900's. It was first owned by C.A. Bartolino. The building was used as a hotel, bar, cafe and sporting house throughout the years. Due to the large number of single male immigrants into the local mines, the . . . — Map (db m100991) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Carbon Plant
This monument is dedicated to the Carbon Plant, located SE of this site, the fourth coal-fired facility built by Utah Power. Construction on the $26 million plant began the summer of 1953, in cooperation with the International Brotherhood of . . . — Map (db m148289) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Castle Gate Mine Disaster
At 8:30 a.m., March 8, 1924, an explosion occurred in the Castle Gate No. 2 Mine, located about one half mile to the southeast of this site, instantly killing 171 miners. Rescue teams were rushed to Castle Gate from the surrounding mines. Wearing . . . — Map (db m148291) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Curved Trestle Bridge
Utah Railway was created in 1912 to provide improved service to the coal mines of western Carbon and Emery counties. Tracks from Hiawatha to the Utah Railway junction near Martin were completed in Oct. 1914. A steel girder bridge 135 ft. high, 634 . . . — Map (db m148206) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Helper City
This valley was originally settled in 1881 by Teancum Pratt. The original Pratt Survey still predominates on maps of this area. He sold land to the Rio Grande Western Railroad for a right of way. By the fall of 1887 the railroad had built 27 frame . . . — Map (db m148214) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — CR-07-735 — Helper City Hall — Helper Historic District
This one-story red brick flat roof building was built as the Helper City Hall in 1927. This building has classical "tin" cornices, columns and pediment. The project architect was Walter E. Ware of Salt Lake City. The City Hall has been a center . . . — Map (db m148212) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — CR-07-723 — Helper Civic Auditorium — Helper Historic District
Built in 1937, the Helper Civic Auditorium was designed by Salt Lake City architects Carl W. Scott and George W. Welch. The building is an excellent example of Art Moderne style also known as "Streamline Moderne." The style was popular in the 1930s . . . — Map (db m148221) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — CR-07-848 — Helper Hotel — Helper Historic District
This hotel was built in 1913-14 for the Helper Real Estate and Investment Co. Formed by people of many different ethnic groups, including Assyrian, Italian, and Jewish, this company reflected the diverse nature of Helper's population. A favorite of . . . — Map (db m148122) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — CR-07-729 — Helper Main Post Office — Helper Historic District
The Helper Main Post Office, built in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), is significant for its association with the federal government's New Deal public arts programs. As one of only three Utah post offices that contain public art, it . . . — Map (db m148220) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Matt Warner — April 12, 1864-December 21, 1935 — The Bandit Who Became Judge —
Matt Warner was born Willard E. Christiansen in Ephraim, Utah. He left home at the age of 14 after a fight in which he thought he killed the town bully. He took the name Matt Warner, became a cattle rustler, bank robber and rode with Butch Cassidy . . . — Map (db m101029) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Pleasant Valley Coal Company
Near this site stood the Pleasant Valley Coal Company office and store. On April 21, 1897, in of of the most daring daylight robberies, Butch Cassidy, Elsa Lay, and Bob Meeks robbed paymaster E.L. Carpenter and made off with over $8000.00 in . . . — Map (db m148293) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Pleasant Valley Junction
Pleasant Valley Junction about 1/2 mile So. of this site, began in the early 1880's when the Rio Grande R.R. extended the main line from Tucker over the summit into Carbon County. A round house was built and a branch line extended to the Pleasant . . . — Map (db m148616) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Rainbow Inn
The Rainbow Inn is located at 305 N Mains St, Helper, Utah and was built in 1922. Originally owned by Lena Fodero, the building was used as a hotel, bar, and sporting house. It was known for the bordello on the upper floor. The railroad which . . . — Map (db m106558) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — CR-07-744 — Smart Shop — Helper Historic District
This two-story brick commercial building was constructed in 1929. The varied shades of tan bricks are unusual in the historic district. In the early 1930s, the right side of the building was occupied by the "Smart Shop" owned by N.A. Neilson, and . . . — Map (db m148208) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — The Barboglio Building
The Barboglio Building was built in 1907 by Joe Barboglio. The building housed the Tika Tavern with a hotel upstairs. Mrs. Barboglio ran the hotel and washed the linen by hand in the Price River. In 1910, in an effort to help other businessmen, the . . . — Map (db m148209) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Traveling Roundhouse
Around 1891 after the D & R G W Railroad replaced the narrow gauge, with standard gauge track, the division point was consolidated in Helper. At this time a 15 stall roundhouse, a new depot and other accommodations were built. In 1919 the division . . . — Map (db m148207) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Utah's Coal Industry
The name Carbon County appropriately suggests the importance of carbon products to the economy and history of this area. The first commercial development of coal occurred in this vicinity in the 1870's and soon out distanced production in other . . . — Map (db m148292) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Helper — Willow Creek Mine Explosion — In Loving Memory
On July 31, 2000, at approximately 11:48 p.m. an explosion and fire rocked the Willow Creek Mine taking the lives of Shane Stansfield and Cory Jordon Nielson and sending 8 other miners to the hospital. The explosion marked the end of a short and . . . — Map (db m148290) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — Abraham Powell 1877 Cabin
Vincent Paul Anella Troop 296 Eagle Scout Project Reestablished marker recognizing the first cabin built in Price by Abraham Powell in 1877. Original marker was at 600 South Carbon Avenue. December 22, 2011 Price Centennial . . . — Map (db m72728) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — N-54 — Assumption Greek Orthodox Church — Utah Historic Site
Organized and built by the Greek immigrants of Carbon County. Dedication August 15, 1916 by Reverend Mark E. Petrakis. Built in traditional byzantine style. — Map (db m148008) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — Carbon Tabernacle
On this site was located the Carbon Tabernacle, a landmark and center place of worship from 1914 to 1961 for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For 47 years the Tabernacle served as the Carbon and North Carbon Stake . . . — Map (db m148112) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 197 — First Meeting House
The settlement of Price began in 1877 when Caleb B. Rhodes and Abraham Powell arrived here. Two years later a number of Later Day Saints and their families strengthened the settlement. A branch of the church was organized in 1881 and in 1882 George . . . — Map (db m148009) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 471 — Grames Cabin
The Albert Grames cabin, built in 1891, stood originally on a site two miles northwest of here. In 1904 Grames bought land in Price, dismantled his cabin, and used the logs to build this somewhat larger structure. The cabin is unique in that it was . . . — Map (db m148119) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — Harding School
Harding School was named after President Warren G. Harding. Classes started August 1925 with George Fox as the first principal. It was used as an elementary school until May 1968 when Principal James L. Jensen called classes to order for the . . . — Map (db m101032) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — N-166 — Notre Dame de Lourdes Catholic Church — Utah Historic Site
Construction on the Notre Dame de Lourdes Catholic Church began in May, 1919. The building was completed and dedicated June 20, 1923. The basement was used for services during the four years of construction. The church was build under the direction . . . — Map (db m148117) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — Oldest Cabin in Price
This cabin, believed to be the oldest on Price Townsite, was built by Leander Clifford in 1884. The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers purchased the home in 1928 and moved it to the Price Tabernacle site where it was used as an historical relics hall. . . . — Map (db m148121) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 564 — Pioneer Women
We hold in sacred memory those sturdy and brave pioneer women, who left their homes in the Eastern United States or sailed from the foreign lands; that trekked across hills, plains, and mountains, forded streams and rivers, birthed and buried loved . . . — Map (db m148118) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — N-171 — Price Municipal Building — Utah Historic Site
The Municipal Building was constructed 1938-1939. The construction was funded with $85,000 provided by the city and a $90,000 federal grant from the Works Progress Association. The building is significant as one of the largest buildings constructed . . . — Map (db m148111) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — N-453 — Star Theatre — Utah Historic Site
The Star Theatre was built in 1923-24 for the five Georgedes brothers: Pete, Angelo, Charlie, George and Harry. Natives of the Greek island of Mytelene, the Georgedes brothers immigrated to the United States and by the early 1920's had become . . . — Map (db m148116) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Price — 1900 — The Nine Mile Road
The road through Nine Mile Canyon was constructed in 1886 by the Buffalo Soldiers of the U.S. 9th Cavalry to connect Fort Duchesne to the railroad in Carbon County. Most of the stagecoaches, mail and freight passed through Nine Mile into the . . . — Map (db m72729) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Soldier Summit — Soldier Summit - A Failed Experiment
In 1919 the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad decided to move their operations from Helper to Soldier Summit to cut their operating costs. This proved to be a horrible idea. The first housing provided by the railroad was nothing more than thin . . . — Map (db m124086) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Spring Glen — Frances Marion Ewell — 1835-1905 — First Presiding Elder, Johnson and Black Hawk War Veteran —
This monument pays tribute to Frances Marion Ewell and the sturdy pioneers who settled here. Mr. Ewell was born November 3, 1935, the son of William Fletcher and Mary Bland Ewell. William was a member of the famous Mormon Battalion which helped . . . — Map (db m148294) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Wellington — Jefferson Tidwell — Early Settlers of Wellington
In 1877, President Brigham Young called on Jefferson Tidwell to explore the country east of the Wasatch Range: which is now Carbon, Emery, and Wayne Counties. President Brigham Young, told him that if he would settle on White River, now Price River, . . . — Map (db m148006) HM
Utah (Carbon County), Wellington — 354 — Pioneer Cabin
In 1877 Jefferson Tidwell was called by Brigham Young to find a location for settlement east of the Wasatch Mountains. By 1879 the first pioneers came, built homes, later irrigated their farms with Price River water. This log cabin, built by Robert . . . — Map (db m148004) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2020