This park is the last piece of unused land of the original campus of Bowden College (1856-1936). It was also the backyard of the McDaniel-Whatley home, the last remaining building of that institution. Mr. Vachel D. Whatley Sr. graduated from Bowden . . . — — Map (db m108112) HM
Bowdon is near the geographical center of the last land in Georgia owned by the Creek Nation and ceded to the U.S. This tract, approximately 550 sq. mi. in area, is 80 mi long and 10 mi. wide at its widest point.
When Carroll County was . . . — — Map (db m31329) HM
Bowdon College was Georgia’s fifth chartered institution of higher education and first coeducational institution. Bowdon was a frontier community of merchants and yeomen who nourished the growth of a school where earnest students of limited means . . . — — Map (db m31328) HM
When Georgians B.F. White and E.J. King compiled the songbook, The Sacred Harp, in 1844, they were continuing a singing tradition, which would ultimately become identified with the book. Thousands of southerners would be exposed to music . . . — — Map (db m10036) HM
Carrollton was incorporated December 22, 1829, and named in honor of Charles Carroll, last living signer of the Declaration of Independence.
In 1830, the town was surveyed and lots were laid out, with the central feature being the town square, . . . — — Map (db m115249) HM
Carroll County, created by an act of the Georgia legislature in December, 1826, proudly bears the name of Charles Carroll, of Carrollton.
Charles Carroll was born in Annapolis, Maryland, in 1737. He attended preparatory schools in this country . . . — — Map (db m12872) HM
During the war between the states Carrollton was spared a bloody battle but she sustained four raids by Union troops. The last raid occurred 15 days after the surrender at Appomattox when troops commended by Union General John Croxton, returning . . . — — Map (db m12871) HM
In 1936, a young attorney from the Victory community began investigating the possibility of bringing electric service to rural farms and homes in the West Georgia area. Together with rural merchants, farmers, a preacher and a mail carrier, they . . . — — Map (db m12804) HM
Born within a few miles of each other were six people who are recognized as giants of industry in the southeast. Asa G. Candler of Villa Rica was founder and first president of Coca-Cola; Sam Candler Dobbs, president of Coca-Cola; Arthur Acklen, . . . — — Map (db m61023) HM
The Bank of Villa Rica was Carroll County’s oldest financial institution, and one of the oldest financial institutions in the State of Georgia. The bank was chartered with $15,000 of capital when it opened in 1899. This was one of the few banks that . . . — — Map (db m107248) HM
The Villa Rica bus station, formerly located on this site, was on the route of the 1961 Freedom Riders that departed Washington, D.C. on May 4, 1961 with New Orleans, Louisiana, as its final destination.
Freedom riders were civil rights . . . — — Map (db m42416) HM
The Fullerville Jail served the city of Fullerville, Ga. from 1916 to 1956. According to former Fullervillions, the city’s first jail was made of wood and burned to the ground. According to former Fullervillions who witnessed the burning of the . . . — — Map (db m108708) HM
In the mid-1600s, John Tyson traveled from the British Isles to Virginia. Over the next 200 years, his descendents migrated to North Carolina and on to Georgia. Alexander, Clement, and Jehu Tyson and their mother Penelope settled this land in 1853. . . . — — Map (db m10041) HM
This Amphitheater is located on the site of what was once the heart of commerce in Villa Rica for more than 100 years.
By 1900, the two –block area to the east of here was developed by the Villa Rica Cotton Oil Mill, whose . . . — — Map (db m111229) HM
Thomas Andrew Dorsey, composer of over 400 blues and gospel songs, lived here following his birth in Villa Rica on July 1, 1899. At Mt. Prospect Baptist Church he was exposed to shape-note singing and at home learned to play a used pump organ, . . . — — Map (db m10043) HM
Thomas Andrew Dorsey was born July 1, 1899, in Villa Rica. He learned to play the piano as a young man. His blues style combined with southern Christian praise songs earned him the title “The Father of Gospel Music.”
His best known . . . — — Map (db m111198) HM
Around 11:00 a.m. on December 5, 1957, a natural gas leak under Berry’s Pharmacy caused an explosion that destroyed four buildings and damaged several others in Villa Rica’s downtown. The explosion killed twelve and injured twenty. The tragedy . . . — — Map (db m10044) HM
In the early 1900’s several textile mills and warehouses lined Villa Rica’s Main Street. The mills provided an economic stimulus for decades as the transition was made from agricultural to industrial products. The cotton mills paid cash wages . . . — — Map (db m107275) HM
Here at the home of Creek Chief Wm McIntosh, a treaty establishing a new boundary between the CHEROKEE and CREEK Indian Nations was drafted and signed. The north boundary was later used in the first survey of Carroll County in 1826-27. — — Map (db m12547) HM
William McIntosh, Scotch-Coweta Chief of the Coweta Towns, distinguished soldier in the battle of Autossee and Horseshoe Bend, and in the Seminole Wars with the rank of Brigadier-General, was killed by Upper Creeks and is buried here, the site of . . . — — Map (db m12548) HM
It was relocated from near Centre, Alabama by W.O. Kilgore Construction with funds provided by the Department of Natural Resources and private sector funds raised by the Abraham Baldwin Chapter, NSDAR as requested by Carroll County, Georgia. . . . — — Map (db m110846) HM