Abraham Curry, the “Father of Carson City”, accomplished more in his 15 year residence than most men hope to in a lifetime. Not only did he purchase the land in 1858 which is now Carson City, but laid out the townsite and built many of . . . — — Map (db m20874) HM
In 1902 Marion Jefferson Blackwell purchased 360 acres from the State of Nevada, 556 acres of adjoining land from Sweeney’s Hot Springs and a lot with a house. He raised carp and catfish to sell commercially also hay and horses. Neighbors used the . . . — — Map (db m116178) HM
Nevada’s State Capital, one of the state’s oldest communities, was established in 1851 as Eagle Station, a trading post and ranch on the Carson Branch of the California Immigrant Trail, by Frank and Warren L. Hall, George Follansbee, Joe and Frank . . . — — Map (db m20911) HM
[Front of Marker:]
Dedicated April 12, 1996
Apr. 3, 1860 - Nov. 20, 1861
Byron L. & Peggy Clark & Family
Bob & Tina McFadden
Mae & Jim Thorpe
The Bike Smith
Betty Young & Erica . . . — — Map (db m23038) HM
This is the site of the house and observatory of Nevada’s first weatherman, astronomer, and seismologist, Charles William Friend. Born in Prussia in 1835, Friend immigrated by way of South America to California during the 1849 Gold Rush. In 1867, he . . . — — Map (db m20919) HM
At 4:00 Am September 28, 1926, Fire Broke Out At The Jack Smith Ranch, At The Base Of Clear Creek Canyon.winds, Reversed Itself And Came Down Ings Canyon. It Reversed Itself Again And Raced Up Kings Canyon Once More, Trapping 5 Firefighters Near The . . . — — Map (db m100249) HM
On March 17, 1897, at an arena located on this site, Carson City played host to Nevada's first world championship prizefight, a fourteen-round thriller in which the reigning heavyweight titlist, James J. "Gentleman Jim" Corbett, was dethroned by . . . — — Map (db m69690) HM
“Myriads of Stars shine over the graves of our ancestors.” Dat-So-La-Lee had seen some 96 winters, mostly in Carson Valley, when death came in 1925.
She was the last of those Washoe weavers whose ancient art had been practiced by . . . — — Map (db m20801) HM
Centrally located between the first Nevada settlement at Genoa and the precious metal deposits of the Comstock Lode, Eagle Valley, site of present Carson City, was a vital link in land communications.
One of the key California emigrant routes, . . . — — Map (db m20802) HM
When the Comstock Lode was discovered in 1859, the problem of reducing the ore from the fabulously rich Virginia City mines had to be solved. Mills were built in Gold Canyon and Six Mile Canyon. In Washoe Valley, at Dayton, and on the Carson River . . . — — Map (db m55083) HM
Empire City was a milling town that was established in 1855. As you read this storyboard you are facing east toward Brunswick Canyon. The City of Empire was located to your right about 1/4 - 1/2 mile. At one time Empire City stretched for 3/4 of a . . . — — Map (db m89601) HM
This imposing public structure, the former United States Post Office and Courthouse, represents the first federal office building constructed in the State of Nevada.
Construction began in late 1888 and was completed in 1891 at a cost of $138, . . . — — Map (db m101827) HM
On this site in the period from 1870 until 1918 stood the ornate two-story home of Mathew Culbertson Gardner, rancher and lumberman. The residence was headquarters for Gardner’s 300 acre ranch in Meadows to the Southward.
Here was located, 1870 . . . — — Map (db m20926) HM
Approximately one-half mile south of this point and west of the present highway lay the immense lumberyard of the Carson-Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company, the greatest of the Comstock lumbering combines operating in the Lake Tahoe Basin during . . . — — Map (db m20804) HM
This block at the historic core of Carson City was the site of many business enterprises since the city's founding in 1858. The longest standing structure was the Odd Fellows Hall. Here for some 95 years the following lodges met at one time or . . . — — Map (db m89475) HM
In March 1868 William Sharon of the Bank of California contracted with Isaac Evan James to construct a railroad from the mines of the Comstock Lode to the stamp mills located on the Carson River. Survey work got underway in December and grading . . . — — Map (db m21338) HM
Unveiled June 10, 1989
Artist: Buckeye Blake
It was the winter of 1843-44 when Kit Carson along with the John C. Fremont expedition worked his way south from Pyramid Lake looking for an easy route across the Sierra Nevada. Carson, depicted . . . — — Map (db m20897) HM
Dedicated in 1867, this church serves a congregation that was organized in 1859 and is often referred to as the “Cradle of Nevada Methodism”. Like many other buildings in Carson City, the stone used in its construction was quarried at . . . — — Map (db m21240) HM
The Nevada Orphan’s Asylum, a privately funded institution, was opened in Virginia City May 1867 by Sister Frederica McGrath and two other nuns of the Sisters of Charity. By 1870, most of its functions were taken over by the Nevada Orphans’ Home at . . . — — Map (db m20806) HM
In memory of our Brothers who Never Returned From
Republic of VietNam 1954 – 1975
POW – MIA
Perry Richard Clark – LDCR – Navy – Carlin – 31 Aug. 1967 • Whittemore Frederick H. . . . — — Map (db m21348) HM
Completed in 1871, Nevada’s splendid Victorian Capitol was built of sandstone from the quarry of the town’s founder, Abe Curry. The octagon annex was added in 1907, the north and south wings in 1915. Notable features are its Alaskan marble walls, . . . — — Map (db m20812) HM
Carson City, Nevada, was one of the stations along the historic but hazardous 1966 mile Pony Express route between Sacramento Cal. and St. Joseph, Mo.
This monument is dedicated July 20, 1960 in memory of the Pony Express, during the epic . . . — — Map (db m101828) HM
Completed in 1876, this palatial residence represents one of the finest and best preserved examples of High Victorian Italianate architecture remaining in the American West.
Charles H. Jones, a French-schooled designer, constructed the residence . . . — — Map (db m21246) HM
One of the oldest continuously operating hotels in the state. It is composed of two hotels. The three story St. Charles and the two story Muller House next door south. Construction of both buildings took place in 1862 with completion in August of . . . — — Map (db m23039) HM
Construction of this graceful reminder of the churches of old New England began in October 1867. Work was completed in July 1868 at a cost of $5,500.
The church was first occupied by its congregation on Sunday, August 9, 1868, with the Reverend . . . — — Map (db m21211) HM
Originally known as the Carson Indian Training School. Stewart Indian School, operated by the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, provided vocational training and academic education for American Indian students from throughout the west for nearly a . . . — — Map (db m20796) HM
This house was built about 1860 of local sandstone for William Morris Stewart who lived here until 1862. He sold it to the Territorial Governor of Nevada, James W. Nye. The two men served as Nevada's first United States Senators after the territory . . . — — Map (db m89422) HM
Reno architect George A. Ferris designed this neo-classical mansion, which cost $22,700. It is the only home ever built for Nevada's highest elected official. In July, 1909, acting Governor Denver Dickerson and his wife Una became the first . . . — — Map (db m89516) HM
The original Carson City building is a formal balanced, sandstone block edifice, two stories high with a centrally located, cupola. The sandstone blocks were quarried at the Nevada State prison. On March 3, 1862, Congress passed a bill establishing . . . — — Map (db m89543) HM
The original Carson City building is a formal balanced, sandstone block edifice, two stories high with a centrally located, cupola. The sandstone blocks were quarried at the Nevada State prison. On March 3, 1862, Congress passed a bill establishing . . . — — Map (db m89438) HM
This building was headquarters for the fabled Virginia & Truckee Railroad. From Carson City rails extended in three directions: To Virginia City in 1870, to Reno in 1872, and to Minden in 1906. The line to Virginia City was abandoned in 1939; The . . . — — Map (db m89559) HM