Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Carter County Oklahoma Historical Markers

 
Ardmoreite Building and Marker (to right of entrance doors). image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
Ardmoreite Building and Marker (to right of entrance doors).
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Ardmoreite Building
This building, originally built in 1930 by architect J.B. White, was called the Gilbert Building. It was renamed the Ardmoreite Building in 1966 when it became the home of The Daily Ardmoreite. Between 1930 and 1966 many businesses . . . — Map (db m142416) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Daubes’ Store
Daubes’ Department Store was a long time landmark on Main Street of Ardmore.

The original Daube Store was opened in Bowie, Texas, in 1883, and was owned by Sam Daube.

In about 1888, when the Ardmore area was in Pickens County, Indian . . . — Map (db m142482) HM

Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Federal Courthouse (1898)Southern District — Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations, I.T. —
The construction of this courthouse was financed in 1898 by two private entrepreneurs, Joe F. Robinson and A. V. Doak. The building was leased to the Federal Government and the court was presided over by Judge Hosea Townsend. This fourth . . . — Map (db m142411) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Hargrove College 1895-1914
A Methodist college once stood here. Begun by the City of Ardmore it was given to the Indian Mission Conference of the Methodist Church. Named in honor of Bishop Robt. K. Hargrove. In 1907 the school burned but was rebuilt north of the city. It . . . — Map (db m141620) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Hotel Wisnor/Carter-Booker Building
The Hotel Wisnor, named in honor of Benjamin Wisnor Carter, prominent Chickasaw citizen, was built on this site in 1884 and was the first and finest establishment of its kind in Indian Territory. The three-story building of brick and stone had 50 . . . — Map (db m142485) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Killing of US Marshal Dow Braziel
. . . — Map (db m142122) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Luke’s Music Store
In 1893, E.B. Luke came to Ardmore, Chickasaw Nation, from Detroit, Michigan. At the time, his brother, Jack Luke, operated a music and school book store in Oklahoma City, and urged E.B. to open this same type of store in Ardmore. So in 1895, E.B. . . . — Map (db m142420) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Masonic Temple 1896
On April 19, 1895 a fire broke out in Harper’s Caddo Street Livery Stable. It quickly spread and consumed six blocks of East Main Street from the Santa Fe Railroad tracks to Washington (then known as Springer Street). Eighty-six businesses were . . . — Map (db m142489) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Noble Brothers Hardware
The Noble Brothers, Sam and Ed, arrived in Ardmore, Chickasaw Nation, in 1893, from Oakland Prairie, Pickens County, after a brief sojourn in Pottsboro, Texas, where they were partners in a general merchandise business and operated a ferry crossing . . . — Map (db m142481) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Randol Hotel
Before 1899, J.W. Banks built, at this site, a mercantile establishment combined with lodging quarters. In 1903, W.F. (Dixie) Gilmer arrived from North Carolina and leased the hotel which was a three story structure with rooms on the second and . . . — Map (db m142422) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement