Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
614 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed. Next 100 ⊳
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Charleston County, South Carolina

 
Clickable Map of Charleston County, South Carolina and Immediately Adjacent Jurisdictions image/svg+xml 2019-10-06 U.S. Census Bureau, Abe.suleiman; Lokal_Profil; HMdb.org; J.J.Prats/dc:title> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_counties_large.svg Charleston County, SC (614) Berkeley County, SC (92) Colleton County, SC (40) Dorchester County, SC (33) Georgetown County, SC (102)  CharlestonCounty(614) Charleston County (614)  BerkeleyCounty(92) Berkeley County (92)  ColletonCounty(40) Colleton County (40)  DorchesterCounty(33) Dorchester County (33)  GeorgetownCounty(102) Georgetown County (102)
Adjacent to Charleston County, South Carolina
    Berkeley County (92)
    Colleton County (40)
    Dorchester County (33)
    Georgetown County (102)
 
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1South Carolina (Charleston County), Awendaw — 10-29 — Old Wappetaw Church
Congregationalists from New England built a church near here around 1700. Troops from both sides camped on the grounds during the American Revolution. Burned by the British in 1782, it was rebuilt in 1786. The building was abandoned . . . Map (db m16308) HM
2South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — “Brave & Happy Settlements”Charles Towne, 1670-80
You are on the site of the settlement of Charles Towne. In this place, Native Americans, English, Africans and Barbadians came together to create the first successful English colony in Carolina. Interacting with each other and the land, these . . . Map (db m67877) HM
3South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — “Thunderbolt”
This M4 Sherman Tank is similar to that used by Lieutenant Colonel Creighton W. Abrams, in World War II while commanding the 37th Tank Battalion – 4th Armored Division – Patton’s Third Army. General Abrams was Army Chief of Staff from . . . Map (db m67976) HM
4South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-Inch Mortar, Model 1819
This 10-inch mortar, unearthed during the excavations in 1959, is similar to the one which fired the signal shot from Fort Johnson on April 12, 1861. Later in the war, the Confederate defenders of Fort Sumter mounted several of these weapons near . . . Map (db m30647) HM
5South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 113 Ashley AvenueBennett - Hayne House — circa 1800 —
This two-and-one-half-story Adam Style house was built circa 1800 by Thomas Bennett, Jr., (1781-1865). Bennett served as intendent of Charleston (1812-1813) and governor of South Carolina (1820-1822). The frame structure rests on a raised . . . Map (db m50820) HM
6South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 123 Tradd StreetCharles Graves House — circa 1795 —
This three-story masonry single house with hipped roof and Federal style details was constructed for Charles Graves, a local factor. One of the oldest building along upper Tradd Street, the house is located on portions of Lots 226 and 227 of the . . . Map (db m48674) HM
7South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 125 Tradd StreetCaptain John Morrison House — circa 1805 —
This Adam style Single House was constructed circa 1805 by Captain John W. Morrison on the site of the circa 1790 garden of Robert Squibb, who brought many exotic plants to Charleston, exported rare species from Charleston to England, and published . . . Map (db m48759) HM
8South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 126 Tradd StreetThe Dr. Peter Fayssoux House — circa 1732 —
Residence of the Surgeon General of the Continnetal Army and boyhood home of Confederate Generals Hamilton Prioleau Bee & Bernard Bee. One of only three South Carolina homes with early exposed interior corner post . . . Map (db m48236) HM
9South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 14 George StreetMiddleton-Pinckney House — circa 1796 —
This three-story, masonry residence set on a raised basement was begun circa 1796 by Mrs. Frances Motte Middleton, daughter of Jacob and Rebecca Motte. The house was completed by Mrs. Middleton and her second husband and former brother-in-law, . . . Map (db m51273) HM
10South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 15-Inch Rodman
Designed by Thomas J. Rodman, U.S. Army Ordnance Officer, this type of cannon was the largest gun used in combat during the Civil War. These two Rodmans were brought to Fort Sumter as part of the 1870's modernization program. Tube Weight: 50,000 . . . Map (db m30641) HM
11South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 17 Limehouse Street
This residence was built on the original Robert Limehouse farmlands. The house was definitely standing in 1855 and was occupied that year by Joseph Dawson, a druggist in business at 17 Broad St.Map (db m51899) HM
12South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 18 Church Street
. . . Map (db m47870) HM
13South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 19 State StreetFrederick Wolfe House — circa 1796 —
This two-and-a-half story Charleston Single House is thought to be built by Frederick Wolfe after the fire of 1796, which destroyed much of the State Street area between Broad and Queen Streets. The house was moved back on its original lot at 21 . . . Map (db m50513) HM
14South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 23 Tradd StreetWilliam Bell House — circa 1797-1800 —
This three-story stucco house with a clay tile hip roof was built by Charleston merchant William Bell following the destruction of an earlier residence by fire in 1778. The fire, the second of five great Charleston fires between 1740 and 1860, . . . Map (db m47978) HM
15South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 26 Tradd StreetAdam Ewing House — circa 1783 —
This town house was constructed by Adam Ewing, a Scots merchant, for his residence and place of business. He and his partner Robert Ewing (who bore the same surname but was no relation) had their counting house in the front room of the ground . . . Map (db m47977) HM
16South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 28 Chapel StreetVanderhorst Mansion — circa 1832 —
Built as a suburban villa by a member of the wealthy Vanderhorst family, owners of much of Kiawah Island, the stuccoed brick house stands two stories above a raised basement and has a piazza approached on the main floor by a double, semicircular, . . . Map (db m51345) HM
17South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Charles Towne
      On the occasion of the 300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Charles Towne, the South Carolina Tricentennial Commission acquired this original site for a permanent historic park and nature preserve.       Ten years after the original . . . Map (db m67934) HM
18South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 31 Savage Street   George N. Barnard Tenement — 1872 —
This two-story frame Greek Revival style residence was constructed in 1872 for Civil War photographer George N. Barnard. The house is distinguished by a one-story front porch supported by jigsaw-cut columns and Italianate style balustrades. In . . . Map (db m51397) HM
19South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 32 Legare StreetSword Gate House
Legare Street is named for goldsmith Solomon Legare “the Huguenot,” who built the first house on this property. Before the lot left the family in 1803, his descendants had become wealthy plantation owners and commission merchants. . . . Map (db m47750) HM
20South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 36 Meeting Streetc. 1740
This Georgian Style residence is an early example of the "Charleston Single House." The original woodwork is notable; the drawing room mantle is attributed to Charleston cabinet maker, Thomas Elfe. Unique in the kitchen building is the original . . . Map (db m47763) HM
21South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 37 Meeting StreetJames Simmons House — circa 1760 —
Charlestonian James Simmons is believed to have built this Georgian style house circa 1760. It is located on Lot 278 of the "Grand Model of Charles Town", the earliest plan of the city. Otis Mills, the original owner of the Mills House bought the . . . Map (db m47837) HM
22South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 39 Meeting Streetc. 1766
. . . Map (db m47875) HM
23South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 42 Church StreetBrailsford & Susan Jenkins House — circa 1905 —
This substantial house was built by J. Brailsford Jenkins, soon after they purchased the site in 1905. The lot previously had been part of the extensive grounds of present-day 38 Church Street, where Dr. Vincent LeSeigneur had a famous garden in the . . . Map (db m47611) HM
24South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 42-Pounder, Banded and Rifled
Confederates rifled this cast iron cannon to improve its accuracy and effective range. Maximum Range: 3803 yards (3477 M)Map (db m30934) HM
25South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 54 King StreetThe James Brown House Circa 1768
The James Brown House is situated on a portion of Lot Number 82 of the Grand Modell, the city plan for Charleston that was developed in 1670. The lot was originally granted by the Lords Proprietors on June 12, 1694 to John Frowman, a butcher, for . . . Map (db m47899) HM
26South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 54 Queen StreetThe Workshop of Thomas Elfe
Erected circa 1760 in the old section of the city. A rare surviving example of its kind containing 4 finely paneled rooms and other trim which makes it exceptional for a house of its modest size. Medallion: Award 1967 . . . Map (db m51611) HM
27South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 55 Ashley Avenue   The Baker House
The Baker House was constructed in 1912 as the Baker-Craig Sanitarium. This sixty-bed hospital and nursing school was founded by Dr. Archibald E. Baker Sr. and Dr. Lawrence Craig. The Baker House was designed by John D. Newcomer and Ernest V. . . . Map (db m51630) HM
28South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 58 Tradd StreetCleland-Wells House — circa 1760 —
This three-story stuccoed single house was constructed circa 1760 by Charleston physician Dr. William Cleland as a residence for his son William. After William's death the property was purchased in 1778 by Scottish émigré Robert Wells, . . . Map (db m48141) HM
29South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 6 Water Street - Francis Saltus Housecirca 1820s
Captain Francis W. Saltus, Sr., a Charleston ship owner and cotton factor built this two and one half story Federal style single house. The frame structure rests on a raised basement and features a closed return box cornice and a gable roof with an . . . Map (db m50449) HM
30South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 6.4-Inch (100-Pounder) Parrott
Discovered during the excavations of Fort Sumter, these rifled guns were installed by Federal troops during the 1870's modernization program. Maximum Range: 6800 yards (6218 M)Map (db m30679) HM
31South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 66 Bull Street The John Cart House
Built in 1817 by John Cart, a "measurer of lumber", this house is a typical Charleston single house with western exposure piazzas extending the length of the house, upstairs and down. Prior to the 20th century, a body of . . . Map (db m53716) HM
32South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 69 Ashley Avenue    Eli Gedding House
circa 1860 This three story late Regency Style Single House was constructed circa 1860 by prominent Charleston physician Eli Geddings. In 1825, Geddings became the first graduate of the Medical College in Charleston, now known as the Medical . . . Map (db m51657) HM
33South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 72-74 Tradd StreetFotheringham-McNeil Tenements
circa 1740 Local merchant James Matthews constructed this three-story over raised basement, double tenement building circa 1740. The house features a Flemish bond brick pattern and nine over nine light windows. The gambrel roof with a . . . Map (db m47902) HM
34South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 73 Church StreetBrewton-Dale-Pinckney House — circa 1716 —
Colonel Miles Brewton I, (1675-1745), was one of the original founding members of Charles Towne. A wealthy Charleston "goldsmith" (banker), provincial powder receiver, built this stucco-over brick house circa 1716-33 (near the center of the old . . . Map (db m50442) HM
35South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 8 Legare StreetCharleston Historic District
The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives And History 8 Legare Street Charleston Historic District Map (db m50213) HM
36South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 8-10 Tradd StreetThe Lamboll Double Tenement
circa 1726 rebuilt 1781 The masonary structure of this double residence was constructed by Charleston merchant Thomas Lamboll circa 1726. The date of construction is based on surviving land grants showing the establishment of common use alleys . . . Map (db m62151) HM
37South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 83-107 East Bay Street   Rainbow Row
Rainbow Row represents the longest cluster of intact Georgian row houses in the United States. The earliest structures on this portion of East Bay Street, between Tradd and Elliott Street, were built by 1680. The buildings were constructed on lots . . . Map (db m51737) HM
38South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 83-85 Church Street
The National Register of Historic Places 83-85 Church Street Charleston Old and Historic District South Carolina Department of Archives And HistoryMap (db m50451) HM
39South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 8-inch (200 Pounder) Parrott
Robert Parker Parrott designed the 6.4-inch, 8-inch and 10-inch Parrotts to serve on land or sea. These versatile rifled cannon were simple and inexpensive to construct. This gun, like many of the other weapons in Fort Sumter, was brought to the . . . Map (db m30764) HM
40South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 8-Inch Columbiad
When the Confederates opened fire in April 1861, several 8-inch Columbiads were mounted in Fort Sumter. This weapon probably has remained here since then, weathering the Union bombardment of 1863 and the clean up of the 1870's. Archeological . . . Map (db m30646) HM
41South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf BuildingCirca 1781 — Altered circa 1855 —
The Ancrum Wharf Building was constructed by Parker Quince and John Ancrum, both North Carolina natives, who were married to Savannah and Mary Rhett. The Rhett sisters were heirs to Col. William Rhett. The Ancrum Wharf Building is one of the . . . Map (db m103639) HM
42South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 95 Ashley AvenueMayor William A. Courtnay House
circa 1840
The construction of this circa 1840 three-and-a half story single house is attributed to Charleston cotton planter and factor Theodore D. Jervey. The house was built in the Greek Revival style but was altered in 1886 by William Ashmead . . . Map (db m51725) HM
43South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 95 Lenwood BoulevardCirca 1867
This simply detailed two story wooden dwelling, and the neighboring dwelling at 93 Lenwood Boulevard, were originally one building. This building was located at the present intersection of Tradd Street and Lenwood Boulevard, and was used by the U.S. . . . Map (db m48144) HM
44South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — A Common Lodging
Indentured servants and enslaved Africans were the backbone of the new colony, and their labor ensured its survival. Hundreds arrived in the years after 1670, and the new settlement must have included some sort of housing for this labor force. In . . . Map (db m67891) HM
45South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — A History of Courtenay Square
Firefighting in Charleston Fires, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and epidemics… although Charleston has faced many kinds of disasters over its long history, fire has had the greatest impact on the city. In 1698 a great fire swept . . . Map (db m135500) HM
46South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — A House in Mourning: Death of a SoldierEdmondston-Alston House
Sacred To the Memory of Lieut. John Julius Pringle Alston 1st Lieutenant South Carolina Artillery Born in Charleston December 4, 1836 Died in Greenville September 20, 1863 of Typhoid Contracted in the defense of his State At Fort . . . Map (db m70312) WM
47South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — A Temporary Home?
A building of the 1670-80 settlement once stood at this spot. Its discovery by archaeologists raised many questions. What was its purpose? Who used it? What did I look like? One interpretation, based on the artifact types found here, is that it . . . Map (db m67924) HM
48South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — A Unique Find Brings Unanswered Questions
Native Americans built a ceremonial center here centuries before English colonists founded Charles Towne. Palisade walls surrounded sacred ground where religious rituals were conducted. Although pottery excavated here is similar to other finds from . . . Map (db m67893) HM
49South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Affra Harleston Coming
In Memory Of Affra Harleston Coming Who epitomizes the courage of the woman who    pioneered the settling of this state. Coming by herself from England in 1670 as a    bonded servent and serving a two year indenture . . . Map (db m55171) HM
50South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — AH – 1 “Cobra”
Combat attack helicopter developed by Bell Helicopter Textron, Inc. Flown in all United States combat actions from Vietnam to Somalia Dedicated to all Citadel aviators who courageously served their country.Map (db m67978) WM
51South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Alexander Christie Housec. 1805
Handsome Adam style single house and gabled carrage house was built on Lot 36 of Grand Model house. It has been rectory of St. Philip's Church since 1908. A successful Scot, Alexander Christie built the house as his residence and . . . Map (db m47906) HM
52South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Anchor of the U.S.S. Coral Sea
      This monument honors sailors and marines who served aboard the U.S.S. Coral Sea in combat and Citadel men who served in the Navy and Marine Corps.       The vessel was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation and nine Battle Stars for operations . . . Map (db m67973) HM
53South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry / Solomon's Lodge No. 1
On this site stood the building in which the Supreme Council, 33°, Mother Council of the World, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, was founded May 31, 1801, A.D., corresponding to Sivan 19, 5561, A.M. . . . Map (db m27535) HM
54South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ann Peacock HouseBuilt c. 1760
The front portion of this fine example of the Charleston single house was built on part of the original lot #37 of the plat of Charleston known as the "Grand Modell." The home was erected by Wm. Hall for Ann Peacock, a wealthy widow from . . . Map (db m47911) HM
55South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Arming the Fort
The row of cannon in front of you dates from the Civil War, when radical advances in technology increased power, range, and accuracy. Some large, old smoothbore cannon were "rifled and banded" to enhance firepower. Banding (heating and tightening . . . Map (db m30639) HM
56South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — As Old as Charleston
The Tavern has been a spirited part of Charleston's history since the late 17th century. From the early seaport days, through pirate attacks, the Revolution and Civil War, earthquakes and hurricanes, Prohibition and the Great Depression, the . . . Map (db m47973) HM
57South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Battery Huger
Battery Huger (ũ-jẽ) looms before you. Battery Huger, the black, concrete structure filling the center of Fort Sumter, was built in 1899 in response to the Spanish-American War. Named for Revolutionary War hero Isaac Huger, the battery . . . Map (db m30552) HM
58South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Battery Reed
Here stood Battery Reed commanded by Lt. Col. Ellison Capers, June 16, 1862.Map (db m67361) HM
59South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Benjamin Lucas HouseCirca 1858
Built by Benjamin Lucas a contractor, as his residence and owned by his family until the 1930's. It was extensively restored in 1960 by Richard H. Jenrette.Map (db m53640) HM
60South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Bethel Methodist Church
Bethel Methodist Church lot donated by Thomas Bennett A.D. 1795 Church dedicated 1798 Moved across street for use of colored people and present church dedicated Aug. 7, 1853 Parsonage once occupied by Bishop Francis Asbury . . . Map (db m47663) HM
61South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Bible Depository1828
Originally two stories, built as a depository by the South Carolina Bible Society on land purchased from the City for that purpose in 1828. In 1882 the South Carolina Art Association acquired the building and used it for an art school until . . . Map (db m47869) HM
62South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Black and White Worlds:The Varied Landscapes of a Town House Lot
This present day garden design differs substantially from that which existed during the occupation of the property by the Russell Family and their slaves (1808-1857). In 1819 the Russell garden was described by an English visitor: ...called on the . . . Map (db m73186) HM
63South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Blake Tenements
The National Register of Historic Places Blake Tenements South Carolina Department of Archives and History Map (db m47767) HM
64South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-89 — Blake-Grimké House
(side 1) This Charleston double house was built before 1789 by William Blake, a planter and descendant of former Proprietary Governor Joseph Blake. By 1803 Mary Smith Grimké, descendant of Landgrave Thomas Smith, and Judge John F. Grimké, a . . . Map (db m133687) HM
65South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Blockade Runners
The Union Navy blockaded Charleston Harbor from 1861-65, but blockade runners continued to slip in and out, carrying cargo crucial to the economic and military survival of the South. Using neutral ports like Bermuda and Nassau, blockade runners . . . Map (db m30691) HM
66South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Bound For GloryThe Railroad Was A Nation Builder
There is no doubt that the railroad defined an American culture and personality that is distinct from its European roots. At its heart, the railroad was a nation builder - the personification of the brash, entrepreneurial spirit that the rest . . . Map (db m39927) HM
67South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Branford-Horry HouseA Private Residence — c. 1751 —
Outstanding Georgian House designated "of National Importance," was built by William Branford, planter and member of the Colonial Assembly. It is famous for its carved cypress paneling and drawing room which has been called "one of the most . . . Map (db m39313) HM
68South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Building a Nation
Between 1862 and 1885, the United States undertook construction of a railroad to connect the East with the West. The Central Pacific Railroad was built 742 miles eastward from Sacramento. The Union Pacific was built 1,038 miles westward from Omaha. . . . Map (db m39958) HM
69South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Buildings “All of Wood”?
This small shed represents the construction techniques that might have been used at early Charles Towne. It is not a reconstruction of a specific building, and as far as we know there was never an actual building or garden located on this exact . . . Map (db m67927) HM
70South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Burger's Tavern
[Masonic Emblem] This tablet erected by the members of Orange Lodge No. 14, A.F.M. marks the spot of Burger's Tavern in which the lodge was organized on May 28, 1789 It commemorates one hundred and thirty eight years of . . . Map (db m39465) HM
71South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-67 — Burke High School
(Front text) This school, founded in 1910, was the first public high school for African-Americans in Charleston. It succeeded the Charleston Normal & Industrial School, a private school at Bogard & Kracke Streets, which had been founded . . . Map (db m39621) HM
72South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Burke High School1910 - 2010
Founded as a private school for elementary students in 1894 by Rev. John Dart at the corner of Bogard and Krake Streets, Charleston Normal and Industrial School was approved to become a public school for "colored" children in 1910 and opened at the . . . Map (db m39754) HM
73South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Calhoun
This Monument was erected by the women of South Carolina in 1896 to John Caldwell Calhoun in commemoration of his eminent Statesmanship during the many years of his public life - it replaces one formerly on the same spot which proved . . . Map (db m19133) HM
74South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Calhoun
This marble for thirty four years covered the tomb of Calhoun in the Western Churchyard. It has been placed here by the Vestry near the spot there he remains were interred during the siege of Charleston from which spot they were afterwards . . . Map (db m48142) HM
75South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-66 — Calvary Episcopal Church
This church, located on Beaufain Street for 91 years, was organized in 1847 to give free blacks and slaves in antebellum Charleston a separate Episcopal congregation of their own. The Rev. Paul Trapier was its first minister, and the church . . . Map (db m50686) HM
76South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Calvary Episcopal Church106 Line Street
Calvary Church was founded in 1847 to establish a special church for slaves in the Charleston community. Father Paul Trapier held services in March 1848 for the congregation in the basement of St. Philip's parsonage and in mid-July services were . . . Map (db m50924) HM
77South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Camden Depot
Welcome to Camden Tower Courtyard. The two towers that flank this entrance and the two former warehouses along the walkway are associated with Camden Depot, built in the 1850s. The former depot is part of the William Aiken House and Associated . . . Map (db m30012) HM
78South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Cameron House
Built in 1851 by Hugh P. Cameron, a crockery merchant, as his residence. In 1892, David Bentschner, a clothing merchant, purchased the home and changed the interior to Colonial Revival. The front gate, carrying his initials, was . . . Map (db m53522) HM
79South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-68 — Cannon Street Hospital / McClennan Banks Memorial Hospital
Cannon Street Hospital Cannon Street Hospital, established here in 1897, served the African-American community of Charleston until 1959. Officially the Hospital and Training School for Nurses, it occupied a three-story brick building . . . Map (db m46344) HM
80South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Cannon Street Y
Celebrating over 130 years of providing a safe place for community residents to gather, play and learn. What is now the Cannon Street Y was organized under the leadership of Harry W. Thomas in 1866. It was established using the name Charleston . . . Map (db m81291) HM
81South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Capers Motte House
Circa 1745 Built by Richard Capers Home of Jacob Motte, Treasurer of South Carolina Colony Dedicated 28 October 2010 by The Colonial Dames of America Founded 23 May 1890 Chapter XXXI - South Carolina (Upper plaque) . . . Map (db m51162) HM
82South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Captain John Christie
Erected by The Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Masons of Michigan To the memory of Captain John Christie --- of the --- 60th OR Royal American Regiment Founder and First Worshipful Master of Lodge No. 1 at Detroit, . . . Map (db m27504) HM
83South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Casemates and Cannon
Load ... Ready ... Fire! A disciplined crew of five men could fire an accurate shot in less than one minute. Teamwork and timing during battle were essential to the crew of this 42-pounder smoothbore cannon, one of 27 guns that occupied these . . . Map (db m30922) HM
84South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Casper Christian Schutt House51 Easy Bay Street — Constructed 1800-1802 —
This large, three and one-half story masonry single house was constructed circa 1800-1802 by Caspar Christian Schutt, a Charleston merchant of German descent. As was the custom of the day, he operated his business activities on the first floor . . . Map (db m47964) HM
85South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Cassique of the Kiawah1670
Seeking a place for establishing a settlement, the first colonists were directed to this site by the Chief of the Kiawah Indians. The friendly Cassique and his people greatly helped the struggling colony. This statue by Willard Hirsch commissioned . . . Map (db m67869) HM
86South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
The cathedral parish was established in 1821 by Bishop John England, the first Bishop of Charleston. The cathedral was named for St. Finbar. A second cathedral church was erected on this site in 1856 under the names of Sts. John and Finbar. This . . . Map (db m27465) HM
87South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Charles Pinckney
October 26, 1757 – October 29, 1824 He was a delegate to the Continental Congress, 1784-5, 1785-6, 1786-7 He was a delegate to the Federal Convention in 1787 and on May 29, 1787 submitted thereto a plan for a Constitution and at least . . . Map (db m67965) HM
88South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-84 — Charles Towne / Old Town Plantation
Charles Towne The first permanent English settlement in what is now S.C. was established here in 1670. Named for King Charles II, the town was built on Albemarle Point, on the W bank of the Ashley River. It began in 1670-71 with a palisaded . . . Map (db m150704) HM
89South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Charleston Besieged
In 1861 the port of Charleston prospered. Keeping the city open to trade was crucial for Confederate survival. Confederate forts in Charleston Harbor - including Fort Sumter - protected Charleston throughout the war despite Union blockade, warship . . . Map (db m30769) HM
90South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Charleston City Market
On this site stands one of Charleston’s oldest public facilities in continuous use: the Charleston Market. Earlier markets, dating back to the city’s relocation to the peninsula, ca. 1680, offered meat, fish, and vegetables at different sites. . . . Map (db m67430) HM
91South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Charleston City Market
On this site stands one of Charleston’s oldest public facilities in continuous use: the Charleston Market. Earlier markets, dating back to the city’s relocation to the peninsula, ca. 1680, offered meat, fish, and vegetables at different sites. After . . . Map (db m148911) HM
92South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 1948 — Charleston Gas Light Company
This Building, erected in 1878 by the Charleston Gas Light Company, A pioneer in Public Service, was Designed by Edward Brickell White Soldier-Engineer-Architect The South Carolina Power Company is the outgrowth of the Charleston gas Light Company, . . . Map (db m19218) HM
93South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Charleston Harbor — Charleston Waterfront Park —
[Panel 1:] Seventeenth Century Charles Town, named for Charles II, was settled in 1670, a few miles north of this site, on the west bank of the Ashley River It was the capital of the Colony of the Carolinas. In 1671, the Lords . . . Map (db m30528) HM
94South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-94 — Charleston Public Water System
(side 1) In 1823, after learning of London's success with artesian wells, City Council agreed that deep artesian wells would be feasible for the city and its growing population. Several pilot projects followed and in 1879 a 1,970-feet deep . . . Map (db m133655) HM
95South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Charleston Waterfront
↑ Fort Moultrie 1776 First complete victory in Revolution ↑ Fort Sumter 1829 Longest Siege in warfare 1863-186 ↑ Fort Johnson 1704 First shot in Civil War ←   Castle Pickney 1794 ←   Cooper River Formerly Wando . . . Map (db m67961) HM
96South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10 77 — Cigar Factory / “We Shall Overcome”
Cigar Factory This five-story commercial building, built in 1882 as a textile mill, was known as the Charleston Manufacturing Company, then Charleston Cotton Mills, in its early years. Leased to the American Tobacco Company in 1903, the plant . . . Map (db m67363) HM
97South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Citadel Flag
This flag flies every day and night as a tribute to those great Americans who are Prisoners of War or Missing in Action and to remind each member of the South Carolina Corps of Cadets of the sacrifices made by Citadel alumni as well as all American . . . Map (db m67974) HM
98South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — City Hall
This building, designed by Gabriel Manigault and built in 1801 for the Charleston branch of The First Bank of the United States, Stands upon the site which was set apart as a market place in 1672 and used for that purpose . . . Map (db m19539) HM
99South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — City Market
Here was erected between 1788 and 1804 a public market on land ceded to City Council by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney Et Al...work of filling in low ground and creek completed in 1807; and six blocks of buildings constucted extending . . . Map (db m19178) HM
100South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Civil War Torpedo Boatmen Memorial
In Memory of The Supreme Devotion of Those Heroic Men Of the Confederate Army and Navy First in Marine Warfare To Employ Torpedo Board 1863 - 1865 Moved by The Lofty Faith That With Them Died Crew After Crew Volunteered For . . . Map (db m47493) HM

614 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. Next 100 ⊳
 
May. 6, 2021