Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Charleston County South Carolina Historical Markers

591 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 191
 
Magnolia Plantation Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, November 15, 2008
Magnolia Plantation Marker
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Magnolia Plantation — 1676
Fountainhead of the Drayton family, which played so important a part in America's Colonial, Revolutionary, and Independence history. Its original plantation house, credited by contemporary historians as having been the earliest in the Carolina . . . — Map (db m14853) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Major General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
One of the Founders of the American Republic Born February 25, 1746, Charleston Member of Provincial Assembly 1769 District Attorney General for South Carolina 1773 Member of Provincial Congress 1775 Officer of the Continental Army . . . — Map (db m47718) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Major Peter Bocquet's Housec.1770
Peter Bocquet the younger built this house shortly after the lot was given to him in July, 1770, by his father Peter Bocquet, senior, a Huguenot immigrant. The younger Bocquet became a major in the Revolutionary forces, a member of the . . . — Map (db m27446) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Major Robert Anderson
In honor of Major Robert Anderson and the one hundred, twenty-eight men of his command who for thirty-four hours: April Twelve-Thirteen, Eighteen hundred and Sixty-one withstood the destructive bombardment of Fort Sumter and withdrew with the . . . — Map (db m87251) HM WM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Marion SquareNamed in Honor of — General Francis Marion
At the time of the Revolution the town-gates stood near this spot across what is now King Street, originally the high way into Charles Town and formerly called the "Broad Path". In 1780 these gates were enclosed in the "Horn-Work", the post of honor . . . — Map (db m30197) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-33 — Maryville
The town of Maryville, chartered in 1886, included the site of the original English settlement in S.C. and the plantation owned by the Lords Proprietors 1670-99. When the old plantation was subdivided into lots and sold to local blacks in the 1880s, . . . — Map (db m16283) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — McDonnell F-4C Phantom II
This gallant aircraft served with the 12th tactical fighter wing stationed at Cam Ranh Bay Air Base, South Vietnam. In the 1968-69 time frame it was assigned to Captain E.G. Shuler, Jr. (now Major General), Citadel Class of 1959 and First . . . — Map (db m67977) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Miles Brewton House
Outstanding example of Georgian architecture in America. Built between 1765 and 1769 by Miles Brewton, Revolutionary patriot, with designs of Ezra Waite, architect. Inherited 1775 by Brewton’s sister, Rebecca Motte, Revolutionary heroine, in whose . . . — Map (db m47969) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Mining Casemate
This concrete casemate was added to the fort in 1891. It was was the control room for an electrically operated minefield, which was placed in the main shipping channel to prevent the entrance of enemy vessels into the harbor. Long cables connected . . . — Map (db m30935) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Mixed Results
Carolina was meant to make money for the Lords Proprietors who received this land from England’s King Charles II. Across the creek from where you stand, forty acres were cleared and experimental crops were planted in a quest for agricultural . . . — Map (db m67882) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Moore-Trapman-Wragg HouseCharleston Historic District
The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives And History Moore-Trapman-Wragg House Charleston Historic District — Map (db m50209) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Morris Island — 3/4 Mile South
Site of three Confederate batteries in the initial attack, 1861. Confederate forces evacuated the island September 7, 1863, after a 58-day siege. Federal batteries on Morris Island bombarded Fort Sumter from 1863 to 1865. — Map (db m19498) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Morris Island
Confederate batteries hidden in the dunes of Morris Island, directly in front of you, commanded the approach to Charleston Harbor. Union forces needed Morris Island, a key location from which to attack Fort Sumter, less than one mile away. On July . . . — Map (db m84003) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Moultrie
(West Face): This Monument represents the high esteem in which all who love freedom hold Charleston's native son, William Moultrie Born November 23, 1730, Moultrie served in the Royal Assembly from 1752 until 1773. He . . . — Map (db m19212) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Mountain Howitzer
Confederates used several field pieces like this 12-pounder mountain howitzer to defend against a surprise landing by Union forces. — Map (db m30739) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Nathaniel Russell House
Nathaniel Russell House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1974 National Park Service United States . . . — Map (db m39319) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Night Attack
This corner of the fort was the site of the only attempt by Union forces to storm Fort Sumter during the Civil War. On the night of September 8, 1863, a Union tugboat towed 500 sailors and marines in small boats to within 400 yards of Fort Sumter, . . . — Map (db m30725) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Nine College Way
  For ninety-five years, five generations for the Follin family, including John A. Zeigler, Jr. the last member of the family to own the house, lived at Nine College Way. Mr Zeigler and Edwin Peacock operated The Book Basement, Charleston's . . . — Map (db m54417) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-4 — Old Bank Building
Construction having begun in 1797, this building was occupied by the Bank of South Carolina on December 10, 1798, making it one of the oldest bank buildings in the U.S. It served as a bank until 1835. The Charleston Library Society used it . . . — Map (db m27517) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-72 — Old Bethel Methodist Church
(Front text) This church, built in 1797 in the meeting-house form, was dedicated in 1798 and completed in 1809. It is the oldest Methodist church standing in Charleston. Originally at the corner of Pitt and Calhoun Streets, Bethel . . . — Map (db m49375) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Old Bethel United Methodist Church
Old Bethel United Methodist Church, the third oldest church building surviving in Charleston, had its beginnings on February 14, 1797 as Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church. Bethel was constructed in the gabled meeting house style with white . . . — Map (db m50297) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 73001690 — Old Marine Hospital
Has Been Designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1974 National Park Service United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m48278) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — On the Edge of an Empire
War between Spain and England ended 10 years before the founding of Charles Towne, but the hatred and mistrust between the two empires remained. In an era of empire building, Charles Towne’s existence directly challenged Spain’s claim on the land . . . — Map (db m67887) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — One Broad Street
This building is one of America's finest crafted Italianate structures. First opened in 1853 as State Bank of South Carolina, it has survived Bombardment, Hurricanes and a Major Earthquake, and Twice been restored along its original plans - . . . — Map (db m19668) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — One North Adger's Wharfcirca 1735-1750
In the 18th century the wharves along this area of the Cooper River served as a center of Charleston's important shipping industry, playing a vital role in the city's economic growth until early in the 20th century. North Adger's Wharf was . . . — Map (db m47927) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ordinance of Secession
This Building stands on the site formerly occupied by S.C. Institute Hall where, on December 20, 1860, was signed and ratified the Ordinance of Secession Which withdrew the state of South Carolina from the Union and led to the formation of the . . . — Map (db m19240) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — P.G.T. Beauregard
P.G.T. Beauregard General Commanding Confederate forces Charleston South Carolina Held this city and harbour inviolate against combined attacks by land and water 1863 1864 1865 — Map (db m27490) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Parker Drayton Housecirca 1800
Isacc Parker built the original house about 1800 when the waterside of the Ashley River lay along the garden. Colonel William Drayton greatly enlarged the house after 1816, and decorated in the Adam style from 1837 to 1899. Home of the notable . . . — Map (db m50240) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Passengers and Products
Welcome to Camden Tower Courtyard. This space and the warehouses you see along the walkway are a part of the William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures National Historic Landmark. This landmark includes the William Aiken House, located . . . — Map (db m40001) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Philip Porcher House
Built about 1765 by Philip Porcher, loyalist. Confiscated during the Revolution, his property afterwards was returned and he was allowed to remain in this country because of his "Universal" good character. — Map (db m49008) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity
The first meeting of the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity was held in this building then the home of Simon Fogarty on December 10, 1904. Founded by Simon Fogarty Andrew A. Krogg L. Harry Mixson All natives of Charleston and at the . . . — Map (db m47841) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Poinsett Tavern28 Elliott — circa 1732
Elisha Poinsett ———— Builder His descendant, Joel Roberts Poinsett one time Ambassador to Mexico, introduced the Poinsettia to the United States — Map (db m50482) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-49 — Pollitzer House
(Front text) This was the home of sisters Carrie (1881-1974), Mabel (1885-1979), and Anita Pollitzer (1894-1975), longtime activists for women’s rights. Anita, an artist and wife of press agent Elie C. Edson, played a pivotal role in the . . . — Map (db m39448) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Port of Charleston
Since 1670 this well-protected harbor has persisted as a center for shipping and trade. By 1770 Charleston was America's third busiest port; Gadsden's Wharf, located here, became its largest pier. Along this waterfront ships loaded cargo and . . . — Map (db m47522) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Postponed Aspirations
Settlers came to Carolina seeking land and fortune. But fear of Spanish and Native American attacks made cautious businessmen out of them. For ten years, they postponed their dream of having a flourishing settlement at Oyster Point across the marsh . . . — Map (db m67885) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Powder Magazine
Fort Sumter's powder was stored in these specially constructed rooms in the corner (angle) of the gorge wall. Protecting gunpowder was critical; the gorge, at the rear of the fort, was considered a safe location. But Fort Sumter was designed to face . . . — Map (db m30920) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Powder Magazine Flags
When the Powder Magazine was built in 1712, South Carolina was a proprietary colony owned by eight British aristocrats. Seven years later, the colonists peacefully overthrew the Lords Proprietor and South Carolina became a royal colony. The flags . . . — Map (db m47962) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Poyas-Mordecai HouseA Private Residence — c. 1788
Dr. Jean Ernest Poyas built this classic Charleston single house in elegant Adamesque style of architecture. It was purchased in 1837 by Moses Cohen Mordecai, an important historic figure, who added the piazzas and connected the main house to the . . . — Map (db m27458) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Prayer Composed By Ellison CapersEpiscopal Bishop - Confederate Soldier
"Almighty God, our heavenly Father, we adore thy love and providence in the history of our country, and especially would we thank thee for our Confederate history "We thank thee for its pure record of virtue, valor and for the inspiring . . . — Map (db m27502) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — President's HouseCirca 1770 — (College of Charleston)
Built as the parsonage of St. Philip's Church and home of the Reverend Robert Smith, The College of Charleston's first president (1790~1797). The College's initial classes were held in 1785 on the ground floor. The house is the . . . — Map (db m54794) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Protecting the Colony – The Palisade Wall
We have with much adoe, our people being weake by reason of scarcity of provisions, pallisadoed about 9 acres of land . . . ”- Council to the Lord Proprietors, 21 March 1671 The colonists were aware that the Spanish, . . . — Map (db m67879) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Quaker Burial Ground
The following people were buried at the Quaker meeting house graveyard on King Street and were reinterred at this site in 1974. (Left Column) John Allen - 1720 Bena Austin - 1735 John Cooper - 1715 Mary Fisher Bayly Crosse - . . . — Map (db m47770) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Quaker Cemetery
On this site stood two successive meeting houses and the burial ground of the Society of Friends or Quakers. The site was deeded to the Quakers circa 1681 by South Carolina Governor John Archdale, a prominent Charleston Quaker and owner of a large . . . — Map (db m47876) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Rearming the Fort
The fort wall before you, called the right face, sustained the least damage of any of Fort Sumter's walls (scarps) during the Union bombardment of 1863-65. After the Civil War, the fort's first-tier casemates including those before you, were . . . — Map (db m30673) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Remnant of Horn Work
Remnant, of Horn Work. May 1780 Siege of Charleston — Map (db m67437) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Revolutionary ArtilleryThe Cannon Yard
It is believed that these two 12-pound British naval cannons were transported to Charles Town during the American Revolution (1775-1783). During the 19th century they stood vertically with their muzzles in the ground on Ann Street — near the . . . — Map (db m70313) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Richard Hutson1745 - 1795
Herein Lie the Remains of Richard Hutson 1747 - 1795 son of Rev. William and Mary Woodward Hutson South Carolina Patriot, Statesman and Jurist Graduated Princeton 1765 Founding Body The College of Charleston 17-72 - 1794 Member S.C. general . . . — Map (db m19238) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Riviera Theatre
The Riviera Theatre was constructed in 1939 by Albert Sottile, President of Pastime Amusement Company. The Art Deco architecture is in the Egyptian style. It served the Charleston community as a motion theatre until 1978. The theatre is . . . — Map (db m40015) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Robert Brewton HousePrivate Residence
Built circa 1720 for Colonel Robert Brewton wealthy wharf owner and provincial powder receiver. One of the earliest fine examples of a single house. [Plaque] Robert Brewton House Has Been Designated a Registered . . . — Map (db m47642) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Robert Gibbes1644-1715
Early Barbadian supporter of the settlement of South Carolina Colonial Governor 1710-1712 Proprietor's Deputy Chief Justice of South Carolina Member of 1st Assembly Colonel South Carolina Militia Sent South Carolina Militia to aid North . . . — Map (db m27505) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Robert Smalls
Robert Smalls was born into slavery on April 5, 1839, in Beaufort, South Carolina. In 1851, he was sent to work in Charleston to earn money for his owner. At the age of 23, he was a crewman on the steamer Planter, an armed transport in . . . — Map (db m94744) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Royal Judge John Drayton
Born at Magnolia Plantation in 1713, but failing to inherit Magnolia, he purchased an adjoining tract and built Drayton Hall in 1740, but later acquiring Magnolia from his nephew. In a will hastily drawn the night he died while fleeing the . . . — Map (db m14515) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Sally Port
Fort Sumter's original sally port (entrance) was located in front of you, in the center of the three-tiered gorge (rear) wall. The lightly armed gorge wall was vulnerable to attack by batteries on Morris Island, and as the war progressed Union . . . — Map (db m30936) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Second Bank of the United States
[Top Marker] This Building Erected in 1817 for a branch of the Second Bank of the United States was acquired in 1835, and has been occupied continuously since that date by the Bank of Charleston whose name was changed in . . . — Map (db m47784) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Section of parapet, or upper portion of the wall
The parapet included embrasures, or splayed cannon openings, designed to provide additional “lines of fire.” Based on the 1739 illustration, each redan was armed with five to seven cannon. This section of brick parapet was pushed into . . . — Map (db m67436) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Seeking, Wealth, Sowing Servitude
Land abounded in the new Carolina colony. The challenge lay in finding a money-making crop and a labor force to produce it. The Lords Proprietors who funded the colony directed the colonists to experiment in order to determine which crops would . . . — Map (db m67928) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Seized!
Thomas Gray and John Pinkerd stood accused of “Acts of delinquency and rebellion committed in and aboard the sloop by the said Gray and his confederates.” As fugitives wanted by the Colony of Carolina, the outlaws fled Charles Towne, . . . — Map (db m67958) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Septima P. Clark Expressway
By Legislative Act in 1978 Named In Her Honor Community Leader Educator Civil Rights Leader Dedicated 1978 — Map (db m61564) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Septima Poinsette Clark 1898-1987
Native Charlestonian and daughter of a former lowcountry slave, Mrs. Septima Clark was a leader of the Civil Rights Movement. A graduate of Avery Normal Institute, Clark's first job was teaching African-American children on Johns Island. Her . . . — Map (db m64797) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Seven - Inch Banded Brooks Rifle
This gun was employed in the bombardment of federal troops at Fort Sumter from Fort Johnson on April 12 and 13, 1861. — Map (db m47478) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Shepheard's Tavern
[South Side]: On this site stood Shepheard's Tavern The birthplace of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry The Mother Supreme Council of the World May 31, 1801 [West Side]: Founders of the Supreme . . . — Map (db m27540) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ship Shaping
This ship skeleton depicts the earliest stage of shipbuilding – hull construction. It starts with the ship’s backbone, or keel, and then the stern, ribs, and sternpost are attached. This skeleton is built to the same scale as the fully . . . — Map (db m67956) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Siege of Fort Sumter
A close look at the wall in front of you reveals Union artillery shells embedded in the brick. They were found during one of the longest sieges in U.S. military history. Batteries on Morris Island, about one mile behind you, and guns on Union . . . — Map (db m30653) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 71000753 — Simmons-Edwards House
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1975 National Park Service United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m48217) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Sir Nathaniel JohnsonGovernor of South Carolina — 1703 – 1709
Under his direction, Charleston was fortified, thereby making it one of three walled cities in North America, after Quebec, Canada and St. Augustine, Florida. As commander in chief of the armed forces, he successfully defended Charleston against a . . . — Map (db m39219) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Site of Fort Mechanic
So named because local mechanics gave their services for much of its construction. Originally a timber structure built in 1794, during the wars of the French Revolution. It was replaced in 1809 by a fort of masonry. It was garrisoned by United . . . — Map (db m39309) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Site of Old Charles Town
Erected by The Charles Town Chapter Children of the American Revolution November 25th 1909 --------------- This block of regal blue marble from the quarries at Regal North Carolina marks the site of Old Charles Town, South Carolina. Settled by the . . . — Map (db m67905) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Site of St. Andrew's Hall
Site of the St. Andrew's Hall Designed by Hugh Smith for the St. Andrew's Society of Charleston, S.C. founded in 1729, the oldest benevolent organization in the State of South Carolina corner stone laid July 4, 1814, building destroyed . . . — Map (db m27469) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Site of the First Methodist ChurchIn Charleston 1785
Established in 1785 under the leadership of Bishop Francis Asbury, the first Methodist Society in Charleston purchased a lot in Cumberland Street and erected a church here in 1786. Long known as the Blue Meeting House because of its color and . . . — Map (db m47974) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-1 — South Carolina Canal & Rail Road CompanyOriginal Track Location
. . . — Map (db m55085) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — St Michael's Episcopal Church
. . . — Map (db m19105) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — St. Andrew’s Parish Church
Built in part in 1706, the year the Church of England was established here by law. Enlarged 1723. Burned out and re-built 1764. Scene of early missionary work among the Negroes. — Map (db m13624) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-22 — St. John's Church
[Marker Front]: This church grew from services held for German inhabitants in Charleston by Rev. Johann Martin Boltzius in 1734 and Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg in 1742. The cornerstone of the first house of worship was laid in . . . — Map (db m11228) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — #76001697 — St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church
Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m52876) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary's Charleston Established 1789 Incorporated February 19, 1791 The first Roman Catholic Church in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia. This is the third structure on this site. The . . . — Map (db m53004) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-5 — St. Michael's Church
Here in the churchyard of St. Michael's lie buried two Signers of the U.S. Constitution Charles Cotesworth Pickney (1746-1825) Lawyer and Legislator Major General, U.S. Army Minister to France Presidential candidate . . . — Map (db m19102) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — St. Peter's Catholic Church34 Wentworth Street
November 18, 1866 Bishop Patrick N. Lynch purchased a Jewish synagogue at 34 Wentworth Street and its adjacent property to establish a church for African American Catholics and approximately two years later he dedicated St. Peter's Catholic Church. . . . — Map (db m31846) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — St. Peter's Episcopal Church Cemetery
Church built in 1835 Destroyed by fire 1861 Merged with Christ Church Rutledge Ave. and Sumter St. which was torn down and new St. Peter's built in 1931 Moved to Miles Drive 1973 — Map (db m48854) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-6 — St. Philip's Church
Here in the churchyard of St. Philip's are buried Charles Pinckney (1757-1824) Signer of the United States Constitution and author of the famous "Pinckney Draught" Governor of South Carolina U.S. Senator & Congressman . . . — Map (db m27541) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
1822    Organized as a place of worship for those              could not afford to rent pews in existing churches. 1824    Church built on Guingard St. as the first "free"              Church of the Episcopal Church in the United States. . . . — Map (db m53203) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Stained Dirt?!
Fearing attack, the people of Charles Towne Landing needed a defensive wall – the taller, the better. So they dug a ditch, piling the dirt along one edge. By constructing a palisade upon that heaped-up foundation, they would have forced . . . — Map (db m67929) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Star of the West
Morris Island, across the water directly in front of you, was the scene of the Civil War's first hostile cannon fire, preceding even the bombardment of Fort Sumter. By January 1861, Union troops occupying For Sumter were surrounded by Southern . . . — Map (db m30724) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Stede Bonnet / Richard Worley
Near this spot in the autumn of 1718, Stede Bonnet, Notorious "Gentleman Pirate", and twenty nine of his men, captured by Colonel William Rhett, met their just deserts after a trial and charge, famous in American history, by Chief Justice Nicholas . . . — Map (db m19172) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Still On PatrolUSS Amberjack Memorial
Still On Patrol –– • –– U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 Officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. Submarines still on "patrol." (Relief of . . . — Map (db m19211) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Swamp Angel
In 1863 Union forces built a battery about two miles away in the marsh on lower Morris Island (in front of you). They mounted an eight-inch Parrott rifle called the Swamp Angel. This huge gun fired 150-pound shells and was aimed at the city of . . . — Map (db m30367) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Tabby Seawall Remnants18 - 22 Limehouse Street
A network of seawalls constructed of tabby, a locally made mixture of crushed oyster shells, sand and lime based mortar, was constructed in the 18th and 19th century along the Charleston waterfront. This system of seawalls was constructed to . . . — Map (db m48295) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Tales of the Tub
This historic bathtub, probably built in the early 1800s, is the first of its kind that archeologists have identified in Charleston. It is unique because its owner placed it in the plantation house instead of a separate outbuilding. Although a . . . — Map (db m67896) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ten - Inch Smooth Bore Columbaid Cannon
This cannon and its mate to the left have been identified as two-thirds of Fort Sumter's "Three Gun Battery" of October, 1863. — Map (db m19019) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ten - Inch Smooth Bore Columbaid Cannon
This cannon and its mate to to the right are often referred to as "Confederate Rodmans" due to their resemblance to a much better Federal weapon developed by T.J. Rodman. — Map (db m47582) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Adventure, Trading Ketch
Trade was the lifeblood of the colony, and trade was impossible without good ships. The Adventure is a replica of a 17th-century trading vessel called a ketch. Ketches and other small ships plied the waters between Carolina and other . . . — Map (db m67881) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Benjamin DuPré House
C.- 1804 This significant single house was built by Benjamin DuPré, a French tailor, sometime after 1803. The entire area was known as “Gadsden’s Green” after Christopher Gadsden who divided this land into six wharf lots and 197 . . . — Map (db m51826) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Best Friend of Charleston
Horatio Allen was the chief engineer for the South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company. He convinced the owners to use steam instead of horses to power their first locomotive, noting, "there was no reason to believe that the breed of horses would be . . . — Map (db m40052) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Borough Houses35 & 35 1/2 Calhoun Street
35 Calhoun Street, was constructed in 1852 by Irish immigrants and purchased in 1939 by Willis Johnson, Sr., who was born a free man at Drayton Hall Plantation, West Ashley. 35 Calhoun Street and 35-1/2 are two-story wood framed . . . — Map (db m53114) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Borough Houses
35 Calhoun Street was built in 1852 and occupied by Irish immigrants. It was purchased by Willis Johnson, Sr. in 1939. His sons, Frank and Henry built 35½ Calhoun with their own hands to complete carpentry apprenticeships. The houses . . . — Map (db m53259) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Boulevard
[City of Charleston Motto Emblem: Aedes Mores Juraque Curat] (She Guards Her Buildings, Customs, and Laws) To Commemorate The reclamation of 47 acres of mud flats, marsh and water, bounded on the north by Tradd Street and on the east . . . — Map (db m39515) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Bowles - Legare House
143 Tradd Street Has Been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior c. 1797 — Map (db m48176) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Charleston Museum's Joseph Manigault House
Planters commonly maintained homes in the city and on their plantations. Joseph Manigault - planter, buisnessman, slave-owner and legislator - built this elegant townhouse in 1803.   At that time this neighborhood (Wraggborough) was concidered . . . — Map (db m50967) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Civil War Submarine, H.L. Hunley
Brought from Mobile, Alabama in August 1863 to help defeat the Union naval blockade of Charleston, H.L. Hunley became the first submarine in history to sink an enemy ship. Armed with a spar-mounted torpedo, it sank the Federal . . . — Map (db m39899) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Colonel Alexander Hext Tenements51-53 Tradd Street — circa 1736
This Georgian double-tenement is located on part of lot number 60 of the Grand Modell, a city plan developed between 1670-1680. Lot number 60 was granted originally to Robert Tradd, after whose family Tradd Street is named. The property was . . . — Map (db m39323) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Colonel James English Housecirca 1760
Property granted to Sir Francis Salters, originally included Nos. 51 and 51-1/2 South Battery. In 1760, Col. James English built this single English style house with kitchen and servants building at 51-1/2. Old sea wall runs across rear of property. . . . — Map (db m48159) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Columbiad
In front of you stands a rifled and banded columbiad cannon mounted as a mortar (aimed upward). It is mounted like the gun being inspected by a South Carolina delegation after the evacuation of Fort Sumter by Union troops in April 1861. The . . . — Map (db m30675) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Confederate Homec. 1800
This handsome building, c. 1800 was constructed by Gilbert Chalmers. From 1810 to 1825 it was the home of Gov. John Geddes, who married the builder's daughter. During Gov. Geddes' term in office, Pres. James Monroe visited here. In 1867 Mary . . . — Map (db m27514) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Douxsaint House
This property, a part of one of the original town lots in the Grand Model of Charles Towne was bought by Paul Douxsaint, merchant, planter, and French Huguenot immigrant, in 1725. The Charleston single house of French type . . . — Map (db m27543) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The First Presbyterian Church of CharlestonOrganized 1731 / Incorporated 1784 — This building dedicated 1814
Originally founded by twelve Scottish families, it was familiarly known in its early history as the Scots' Kirk. The present church replaced an earlier one, which had been enlarged once before the American Revolution and twice afterwards. . . . — Map (db m39315) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Footlight Players Workshop20 Queen Street
The building at 20 Queen Street was built circa 1840 for use as a cotton warehouse. It is considered a notable example of vernacular warehouse architecture in Charleston, influenced by Roman Revival and West Indian architecture. In 1934, the . . . — Map (db m27545) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Garrison Defending Fort SumterDuring the Bombardment — April 12-14, 1861
Erected by the United States 1932 In memory of the Garrison Defending Fort Sumter during the bombardment April 12-14, 1861 Major Robert Anderson First U.S. Artillery commandingCorps of Engineers Captain John G. Foster 1st Lieut. George . . . — Map (db m30916) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The George Ducat House56 Tradd Street — circa 1740
Charleston shipbuilder George Ducat constructed this two-story Charleston single house shortly after purchasing the property in 1739. The house is a rare surviving example of a Charleston residence constructed partly of Bermuda stone, a coral . . . — Map (db m39324) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-15 — The Grand Lodge of Ancient Freemasons of South Carolina
Organized before August 18, 1737, this Grand Lodge met in Charles Shepheard's Tavern, an early meeting place of the colony, once located on this corner. — Map (db m27519) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Independent or Congregational Church of CharlestownFounded 1681
The brickwork below is thought to be from the second of four buildings to house the church. Constructed in 1732, it was replaced in 1804 by a Robert Mills designed sanctuary, circular in shape. Said to be the largest domed building in the U.S., it . . . — Map (db m19237) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The John Blake House58 South Battery — circa 1800
The John Blake House was constructed circa 1800 by Blake, a captain in the Continental Army, member of the South Carolina General Assembly, and president of the Bank of South Carolina. The Blake House is constructed of cypress and heart pine on a . . . — Map (db m39311) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The John N. Tidemann House9 Judith Street
This Charleston Single house was constructed between 1835-1852. The house was lived in by John Tidemann, a German immigrant who arrived in Charleston in 1846 at age nineteen. He established a successful hay & grain business at the corner of Prioleau . . . — Map (db m31851) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Joseph Manigault House
An outstanding example of the Adam Style of architecture in plan, interior detail, and decoration. The house was designed by Gabriel Manigault, Charleston's most famous amateur architect, for his brother Joseph Manigault, who acquired the lot . . . — Map (db m50832) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Landscape of the Enslaved
The rear work yard of the Nathaniel Russell House was adjacent to the line of dependencies noted on this plat of the property from 1870. The dependencies included the extant kitchen and laundry buildings that was at the center of most domestic . . . — Map (db m73183) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Liberty Tree
Near this spot once stood the Liberty Tree where Colonial Independence was first advocated by Christopher Gadsden A.D. 1766 and where ten years later the Declaration of Independence was first heard and applauded by South Carolinians — Map (db m31852) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Moses C. Levy House
circa 1816 Moses C. Levy, a Polish born King Street merchant, built this valuable Federal style single house between 1811 and 1816. The house is located on land originally owned by Henry Laurens, one of the wealthiest merchants in the United . . . — Map (db m51808) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Most Reverend Emmet Michael Walsh
Sixth Bishop of Charleston, S.C. Born in Beaufort South Carolina March 6, 1892 Consecrated Bishop of Charleston September 8, 1927 Installed as Bishop of Youngstown, Ohio November 9, 1949 Died in Youngstown, Ohio March 16, . . . — Map (db m49684) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Nicholas Trott House83 Cumberland Street
First brick house erected in Charleston standing in 1709. Home of Nicholas Trott first Attorney General of the Province of Carolina 1698 to 1702 and Chief Justice 1713 to 1719. — Map (db m47922) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Old Exchange
Commissioned in 1767 by Act of The General Assembly of The British Colony of South Carolina Completed in 1771 Deeded in 1917 by The United States Congress to the South Carolina State Society National Society Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m29994) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Old Powder Magazine
The Old Powder Magazine is the only public building remaining from the era of the Lords Proprietors, the eight English aristocrats who owned Carolina from 1670 to 1719. Charles Town, as the capital and southernmost English settlement on the . . . — Map (db m27556) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-44 — The Parsonage / Miss Izard's School
The Parsonage“The Parsonage,” the home of Rev. James B. Middleton (1839-1918), stood here at 5 Short Court (now President’s Place) until 1916. Middleton and his siblings, born slaves, were taught to read and write by their father, . . . — Map (db m39449) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Railroad Comes To Charleston
The first passenger railroad began operation in England in 1825. Word of this new kind of transportation quickly spread across the Atlantic. Charleston businessmen, suffering through a severe recession in the 1820s, were eager to explore this . . . — Map (db m39980) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Rev. John G. Drayton
Rector of nearby St. Andrews Episcopal Church, and owner of Magnolia Plantation before,during, and after the Civil War, he redesigned the plantation's famous garden, from its original French style of Louis XIV to its present style of English . . . — Map (db m4977) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Reverend Paul Trapier Gervais Housecirca 1835
This notable three and one half story single house is situated on lot number 233 of the Grand Modell as granted by the Lords Proprietors in 1694. This remains one of the largest residential lots in the city. The present house was built by the . . . — Map (db m48056) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Salvaging of this Gun( 11 inch Dahlgren )
was accomplished by the heroic efforts of Adolphus W. and James C. Lacoste and others after engineers of both Federal and Confederate Armies had pronounced it impossible. —— Due to the untiring efforts of Major John Johnson, . . . — Map (db m19011) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Samuel Wainwright HouseCA 1760
This advertisement appeared in the S.C. Gazette on 6th Jan., 1784, following Mr. Wainwright's death "On WEDNESDAY the 28th of JANUARY in§t. WILL BE SOLD by Order of the Hon. Cornelius Dupont, E§q. that capital and well known HOUSE, No. 77, . . . — Map (db m48059) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Search Goes On
Even though archaeologists found the complex fortifications of Charles Towne, the actual town has proved elusive. To date, only one building has been discovered. Possibly the evidence lies under our feet awaiting discovery. Or, the settlement may . . . — Map (db m67930) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-76 — The Seizure of the Planter
   Early on May 13, 1862, Robert Smalls, an enslaved harbor pilot aboard the Planter, seized the 149-ft. Confederate transport from a wharf just east of here. He and six enslaved crewmen took the vessel before dawn when its captain, . . . — Map (db m62069) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-65 — The Siege of Charleston, 1780
(Front text) The British capture of Charleston in May 1780 was one of the worst American defeats of the Revolution. On March 30-31 Gen. Henry Clinton’s British, Hessian, and Loyalist force crossed the Ashley River north of Charleston. On . . . — Map (db m39458) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Site of Carteret Bastion
The Plan of Charles Town Prepared by Edward Crisp about 1704, gives the location of the several Bastions A. Granville B. Craven C. Cartaret D. Colleton E. Ashley F. Blake G. The Half Moon I. Johnson's Cover'd Half Moon L. The . . . — Map (db m19229) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Site of Colleton Bastion
The Plan of Charles Town Prepared by Edward Crisp about 1704, gives the Location of the several Bastions A. Granville B. Craven C. Cartaret D. Colleton E. Ashley F. Blake G. The Half Moon I. Johnson's Cover'd Half Moon L. The . . . — Map (db m19231) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Site of Craven Bastion
The Plan of Charles Town Prepared by Edward Crisp about 1704, gives the location of the several Bastions A. Granville B. Craven C. Cartaret D. Colleton E. Ashley F. Blake G. The Half Moon I. Johnson's Cover'd Half Moon L. The . . . — Map (db m19228) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Site of Granville Bastion
The Plan of Charles Town Prepared by Edward Crisp about 1704, gives the location of the several Bastions A. Granville B. Craven C. Cartaret D. Colleton E. Ashley F. Blake G. The Half Moon I. Johnson's Cover'd Half Moon L. The . . . — Map (db m19230) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Society of the Cincinnati of the State of South Carolina1783
On this site stood The City Tavern where on August 29, 1783, forty-three officers of the Continental Army residing in South Carolina met at the call of Major General William Moultrie to establish The Society of the Cincinnati in South Carolina. . . . — Map (db m27522) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The South Carolina Society
Founded by French Huguenots September 1, 1737, was incorporated May 1, 1751, by the Provincial General Assembly and the Charter confirmed at the Court of St. James by George II December 20, 1752. To further the Society's activities this Hall and . . . — Map (db m27457) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Tavern
Through recently discovered documents and maps found in Scotland and the Netherlands, a Seafarer's Tavern was on this site in or around 1686. Located on Charleston's working waterfront for three centuries, it has had many names: The Tavern . . . — Map (db m47975) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Two Cannons
The two cannons displayed in front of the Powder Magazine are Revolutionary-War era pieces that were found in the Charleston area. Referred to as field guns, the weapons would have been mounted on wheeled carriages for greater mobility. Each . . . — Map (db m47963) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 73001696 — The Unitarian Church in Charleston
Uniterian Church has been designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1974 National Park Service United States . . . — Map (db m48160) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Unitarian Church in Charleston
Founded 1787. Avowedly Unitarian since 1819 — One of the oldest Unitarian Churches in the United States and the oldest one in the South O — Map (db m48237) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Walled City of Charles Town
In 1670 English men and women established the Carolina settlement at Albemarle Point on the Ashley River, the present-day site of Charles Towne Landing State Park. Ten years later, the settlers moved their town to its location here . . . — Map (db m62552) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The William Vanderhorst House54 Tradd Street (Postmaster Bacot House) — circa 1740
Constructed circa 1740 by William Vanderhorst, this three story stuccoed masonry structure is considered one of the earliest examples of Charleston single house. A notable aspect of the building is the absence of a piazza, a development found in . . . — Map (db m39326) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thirteen - Inch Mortar
This mortar and its three mates were first used by Federal troops for the bombardment of Fort Sumter in October, 1863. They may well form the world's largest collection of this type weapon. — Map (db m19141) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thirteen - Inch Mortar
This mortar and its three mates were first used by Federal troops for the bombardment of Fort Sumter in October, 1863. They may well form the world's largest collection of this type weapon. — Map (db m47473) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thirteen - Inch Mortar
This mortar and its three mates were first used by Federal troops for the bombardment of Fort Sumter in October, 1863. They may well form the world's largest collection of this type weapon. — Map (db m47474) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thirteen Inch Mortar
Thirteen Inch Mortar 1863-1865 Used by Union Army - Siege of Charleston — Map (db m19109) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — This Building
Erected in the post-Revolutionary period on a part of the land once known as Archdale's Square, was occupied the Charleston branch of the First Bank of the United States prior to 1800. Acquired in 1833 by the Hebrew Orphan Society, it . . . — Map (db m27448) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Bee's House94 Church Street — circa 1730
Thomas Bee, a leader in the colonial government and a patriot of the Revolution, built this fine house about 1730. A later owner was Governor Joseph Alston and his wife, Theodosia, daughter of Aaron Burr. She was mysteriously lost . . . — Map (db m47910) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Heyward, Jr.House, circa 1803
A South Carolina Signer of the Declaration of Independence Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m48086) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Lamboll House 19 King StreetCirca 1739
This Georgian style residence, attributed to architect and master builder Thomas Lee, was built for Colonial Judge Thomas Lamboll c. 1739. The current Greek Revival piazzas were added c. 1845. The Lamboll Lands included numerous holdings in an area . . . — Map (db m48151) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Legare Housec. 1759
Handsome Georgian style house built by a prosperous Huguenot merchant. An outstanding example of an early Charleston single house well adapted to the narrow lot purchased in 1752. In 1816 an adjacent house was demolished to provide space for the . . . — Map (db m50453) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Thomas Rose's Housec. 1735
In 1680, Town Lot No. 61 was granted by the Lords Proprietors to Elizabeth Willis, and in 1701 was deeded to William Elliott. This notable early Georgian house replaced a smaller house on the premises, and was built by Thomas Rose soon after his . . . — Map (db m47625) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-3 — Thomas SmithGovernor of Carolina — 1693~1694
Planter, Merchant, Surgeon, arrived in Charles Town in 1684 with his first wife, Barbara Atkins, and sons, Thomas and George. A cacique by 1690, he was created Landgrave by the Lords Proprietors on May 13, 1691. He died in his 46th year on . . . — Map (db m19107) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Timothy Ford's Housecirca 1800 — A Private Residence
Timothy Ford, a native of Morristown, New Jersey, Princeton educated attorney who as a youth served in the American Revolution, built this fine Charleston single house in the Adamesque style. Ford entertained the Marquis de Lafayette here on the . . . — Map (db m39318) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — To the Defenders of Fort Moultrie
[Front of Monument:] [Upper Plaque:] Second South Carolina Regiment Army of the Revolution Organized June 17, 1775 [Lower Plaque:] “To the Defenders Of Fort Moultrie June The 28th . . . — Map (db m19167) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Toomer- Purse Housec. 1796
Anthony Toomer, a master builder, Revolutionary Patriot, member of the South Carolina General Assembly and Officer in the Charleston Battalion of Artillery, built this two story frame house and afterwards left it to his daughter, Mrs. Daniel . . . — Map (db m48287) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Trade, Profits and Support
By the spring of 1671, the Lords Proprietors expected some profitable trade goods coming out of the fledgling colony. Timber, in the forms of pipe staves to make barrels and firewood for Barbadian sugar-production, should have been a ready . . . — Map (db m67890) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-8 — Trinity Methodist Church Original Site / William Hammett
Trinity Methodist Church Original Site The first Trinity Church building was erected on this site in 1792. By 1813, Trinity had joined the S. C. Conference, and in 1874 it merged with Cumberland Church, the oldest Methodist church in . . . — Map (db m31850) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Trott's CottageFirst Brick Dwelling — c.1709
Located within the walled city of Colonial Charles Towne, Trott's Cottage is one of the few remaining pre-Revolutionary structures. Judge Nicholas Trott (1663-1740) owned the property prior to 1709. Judge Trott, born in England, came to America . . . — Map (db m27558) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — U.S. Custom House
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places October 9, 1974 U.S. Custom House Charleston, South Carolina Ammi Burnham Young E. B. White Architects 1853 This property significantly contributes . . . — Map (db m19126) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — U.S. Post Office and Courthouse
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places August 13, 1974 U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Charleston, South Carolina John H. Devereux Architect 1896 This property significantly contributes to the . . . — Map (db m27449) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — United Order of Tents BuildingFrancis P. Seignious House — 73 Cannon Street
This two and a half story house was built circa 1856 by Stephen S. Lloyd. Constructed in the form of a Charleston single house, the basement level is brick, laid in American bond. The upper stories are of wood with Greek Revival and Italianate . . . — Map (db m81288) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — United States Marine Hospital
This building, designed by Robert Mills, widely known architect was erected 1833 for the care of sick and disabled merchant seamen. It served also as a teaching clinic for the Medical College of South Carolina, and after 1860 as a military . . . — Map (db m48711) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — USS Hobson Tribute
(Marker Front):To the Glory of God and in Abiding Memory of 176 valiant young men of the United States Navy who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of our country The USS Hobson (DMS 26) sank in less than four minutes as a result of . . . — Map (db m19148) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — USS Pringle (DD-477)
Launched at Charleston, S.C. on May 2, 1942 Lost to Enemy Action off Okinawa on April 16,1945 In Memoriam Vella Lavella - August 21, 1943 John Villani • Ernest F. Whitehead Mindoro - December 30, 1944 James F. Bennett • . . . — Map (db m19170) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Wade Hampton Monument
(East side) Wade Hampton 1818 — 1902 (North side) Colonel Hampton Legion, S.C.V. 1861 Brigadier-General Confederate States Army. 1862 Major-General 1863 Lieutenant-General 1865. Commanding Cavalry of . . . — Map (db m51949) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company
Distinguished for Achievement as Stationers, Book Binders, and Printers, Since its founding in 1821 by John C. Walker. Appointed Lithographers and Printers to The Confederate Government in 1861. The company in this building produced stamps, Bank . . . — Map (db m19667) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Washington Light Infantry 1907
1812~WAR of 1812 between the United States and Great Britain. This Company was mustered into active service. 1836~SEMINOLE WAR ~The Washington Light Infantry was sent to St. Augustine for the protection of women and children.Map (db m49763) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Washington Light Infantry Monument
[South side]: At every board a vacant chair fills with quick tears some tender eye, and at our maddest sport appear those well loved forms that will not die; we lift the glass, our hand is stayed - we jest , a spectre rises up - and . . . — Map (db m27484) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William A. Giles
At the Northeast Corner of This Building William A. Giles Grand Master Ancient Free Masons Laid the Corner Stone of This Building November 24th, 1928 — Map (db m50414) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Aiken House
Built between 1807 and 1811, the east wing was added after 1831. Residence of William Aiken, first president (1828-1831) of the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company. This company inaugurated the American steam railroad era at . . . — Map (db m39838) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — #73001681 — William Blacklock House
William Blacklock House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1974 National Park Service . . . — Map (db m52607) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Bull's Housec. 1720
These lots as shown on the "Grand Modell of Charles Town" were granted in 1696 to Stephen Bull of Ashley Hall and Sheklon. This house, one of the oldest on the city, was built circa 1720 by his son, William Bull, later Lt. Governor of . . . — Map (db m48089) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William C. McElheran House
Built c. 1847 by William C. McElheran, this Charleston "single house" became after 1860, part of the C.D. Franke Carriage Factory Complex. The factory, which made cannon carriages for the Confederate Army, remained at this location into the 1890's. . . . — Map (db m31840) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — # 70000575 — William Gibbes House
Has Been Designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1970 National Park Service United States Department of the . . . — Map (db m48190) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Gilmore Simms
William Gilmore Simms 1806 - 1879 Author, Journalist, Historian — Map (db m19169) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Harvey House
Private residence, built before 1728 by William Harvey. This house was leased 1750 by his Excellency James Glenn, Governor of the Province until purchased in 1756 by Ralph Izard planter. A century later, 1858, Izard descendants sold it to Judge . . . — Map (db m27470) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Harvey House58 Meeting Street — circa 1770
This three-story, stucco-over brick building was constructed circa 1770 on Town Lot No. 60 of the Grand Modell of Charles Town by merchant and planter William Harvey. It was the western half of a double tenement (18th century term denoting rental . . . — Map (db m39314) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Mills Tenementc. 1801
The builder of this tenement, William Mills, was born in Dundee, Scotland, and became a prosperous tailor and planter in Charleston. He was the father of Robert Mills, pupil of Thomas Jefferson and America's first native . . . — Map (db m50481) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — William Pinckney Shingler HouseC- 1856
Outstanding example of Romantic Greek Revival style, adapted to Charleston climate. Outwardy of dignified classic proportions, interior is richly decorated in eclectic manner but on a livable scale. Standing on 5 lots from the original Robert . . . — Map (db m49249) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-43 — William Rhett House
(Front side) This house, built ca. 1712, is believed to be one of the oldest houses in Charleston. It was built for William Rhett (1666-1723), a merchant, sea captain, militia officer, and speaker of the Commons House of Assembly famous . . . — Map (db m31847) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Wragg Squarein front of the Second Presbyterian Church
Wragg Square Dedicated To the Use Of The People Of Charleston SC In The Division Of The Estate Of John Wragg 1801 — Map (db m80646) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Young-Johnson Housec. 1770
"Tradition of American Revolution" written in this house. — Map (db m47590) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Folly Beach — 10-64 — Camp of Wild's African Brigade, 1863 - 1864 / Wild's Brigade Cemetery
Camp of Wild's African Brigade, 1863 - 1864 Folly Island was occupied by Union troops April 1863-February 1865. Gen. Edward A. Wild's "African Brigade" camped nearby from November 1863 to February 1864. The two regiments in Wild's brigade were . . . — Map (db m47153) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Fort Johnson, James Island — Marshlands HouseCirca 1810
The Marshlands House was built by John Ball on his Cooper River rice plantation. In 1901 Marshlands was sold to the U,S. Navy for the shipyard. Threatened with demolition, the home was barged to its present location in 1961. The Federalist . . . — Map (db m30630) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Fort Johnson, James Island — Site of Fort Johnson
Site of Fort Johnson In 1776 Prior to the battle of Sullivan's Island General William Moultrie here raised The First Flag of Liberty This building was a unit of the fort. (Emblem: D.A.R.) Placed by Rebecca Motte Chapter . . . — Map (db m40075) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Fort Johnson, James Island — The First Shot of the War of Secession
1861 - 1961 At half past four on the morning of April 12, 1861, from a mortar near this spot on Fort Johnson, the first shot of the War of Secession was fired, by order of Captain George S. James of the Confederate States Army. The . . . — Map (db m29958) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Hamlin Beach Community — 10-74 — Cook's Old Field Cemetery / Copahee Plantation and Hamlin Beach
Cook's Old Field Cemetery This plantation cemetery predates the American Revolution. It was established by early members of the Hamlin, Hibben and Leland families. James Hibben (d. 1835), one of the founders of Mount Pleasant, is buried here. . . . — Map (db m52763) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Isle of Palms — 10-11 — Lord Cornwallis
(Front text) Major General Charles Cornwallis established a brigade headquarters not far from this site on or around June 19, 1776. His brigade was part of a British army under the command of Sir Henry Clinton, which had occupied this island . . . — Map (db m39959) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Isle Of Palms — Plant - a - Palm
Hurricane Hugo struck the Isle of Palms on September 21,1989. This powerful storm destroyed the natural landscape of ths island and demolished many homes and businesses. In an effort to restore a portion of the natural beauty, a group . . . — Map (db m39789) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — 10-59 — Battery Cheves
(Front text) This four-gun Confederate artillery battery was one of several earthworks built on the southeastern shore of James Island in the summer of 1863. Built between Battery Simkins and Battery Haskell, this battery was named for . . . — Map (db m29773) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — 10-58 — Battery Haskell
(Front text) This two-gun Confederate artillery battery and magazine is all that remains of Battery Haskell, a large fortification built on Legare’s Point in 1863 to help defend James and Morris Islands. This two-gun battery was just behind . . . — Map (db m39708) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — Battle of Secessionville
This stone marks the site of the Battle of Secessionville June 16, 1862. Erected by Secessionville Chapter, U.D.C. 1924. — Map (db m21319) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — Grice Marine Laboratory
The George D. Grice Marine Biological Laboratory In grateful appreciation of his forsight and tireless efforts which resulted in the establishment of this center for the study of and research in Marine Biology, the . . . — Map (db m58758) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — 10-61 — Redoubt Number 3
(Front) Redoubt Number 3, built here in 1861-62, was one of six identical Confederate earthworks built across the enter of James Island, known collectively as the East Lines. Intended to help defend Charleston from Federal attacks up the . . . — Map (db m30586) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — Secessionville
The Battle of Secessionville, fought here on 16 June 1862, broke the Union advance through James Island against Charleston and was the most significant battle of the Civil War in South Carolina. Confederate troops under Col. Thomas G. Lamar . . . — Map (db m29563) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Johns Island — 10-23 — Belvidere School Site
In 1898 Charleston County School District No. 11 bought this land from J. S. Hart and built a public school on the site soon after. School closed in the early 1920s. — Map (db m37020) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Johns Island — 10-21 — Grave Of Colonel William A. Washington
3/4 mile on Live Oak Plantation at Sandy Hill Plantation, seven miles N.W., this Virginian made his home in the country through which he had led his American Cavalry. There in 1791 he entertained his kinsman, George Washington, President of . . . — Map (db m26668) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Johns Island — 10-2 — John's Island Presbyterian Church
Founded by early English, Scottish, and French settlers about 1710, this is one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in South Carolina. The original sanctuary, believed to have been built about 1719, was enlarged in 1823. — Map (db m50176) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Johns Island — 10-81 — The Progressive Club
(front) The Progressive Club, built in 1962-63, was a store and community center for Johns Island and other Sea Islands until it was badly damaged by Hurricane Hugo in 1989. The club had been founded in 1948 by civil rights activist Esau . . . — Map (db m95337) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), McClellanville — 10-35 — Archibald Rutledge Birthplace
Side A Archibald Hamilton Rutledge (1883-1973), educator, man of letters, and the first poet laureate of S.C., was born at this site, in a house known to the Rutledge family as "Summer Place." Rutledge, who grew up here and at Hampton . . . — Map (db m39040) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), McClellanville — Deerhead Oak
In 1867, William Peter Beckman opened McClellanville’s first store here in the shade of the Deerhead Oak. The property remains in the Beckman family to this day and provides an open greenspace for the people of McClellanville. — Map (db m54988) HM

591 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 191
Paid Advertisement