Cottonwood Falls has been the Chase county seat since both town and county were established in 1859. The first log cabin-courthouse was replaced in 1873 by this stately building of native limestone and walnut, which today is the oldest Kansas . . . — — Map (db m49505) HM
In 1885, one Kansas writer described the area in generous words, "...at the right of the bridge on the south side of the Cottonwood River is an excellent water mill, and the music of the falling waters as they flow over the dam added to the . . . — — Map (db m45681) HM
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor"
--The Declaration of Independence
The Chase County All . . . — — Map (db m45694) HM
Chase County, named after Salmon P. Chase, who was a United States Senator from Ohio and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, was organized in 1859 in the Kansas Territory.
James Fisher, from Columbiana County, Ohio was the . . . — — Map (db m45683) HM
Roll of Honor
In memory of those who made the
supreme sacrifice in the World War
1914 - 1918
Delano Earl Bates Frank D. Coate
Walter L. Crouch Russell Blackburn
Arthur Edwards Frank P. Faris
Leonard C. Goad Don E. Harder . . . — — Map (db m45515) HM
A trail to connect two communities - what a novel idea! This good idea to connect Cottonwood Falls and Strong City was first suggested in 1904. Of course it was to be a limestone sidewalk. Certainly the limestone was available and the equipment and . . . — — Map (db m45578) HM
The first major bridge at Cottonwood Falls was a 150 foot long iron truss bridge constructed in 1872. The iron bridge was just west of the present arch bridge.
The present bridge was constructed in 1914 by the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron . . . — — Map (db m45609) HM
The Cottonwood River Dam visible today was built from cut limestone and later coated with concrete. The first dam was constructed of cottonwood logs in 1860 during a severe drought when the river bed was dry. The dam provided water power for a saw . . . — — Map (db m45679) HM
Located south of the Matfield Green service area is mile marker 88, which is 38 degrees North latitude. This latitude became better known as the 38th Parallel at the beginning of the Korean Conflict. Korea was temporarily divided along the 38th . . . — — Map (db m44368) HM
You are in the heart of one of the great grazing lands of the world. Thousands of buffalo, antelope, and elk once roamed here. After the Civil War, and the wild days of the Texas cattle drives, it became famous as a feeding ground for beef cattle. . . . — — Map (db m44367) HM
The vast prairie which surrounds this site is typical of the Bluestem pasture region more commonly known as the Flint Hills. Named for its predominant grasses, the area extends from Oklahoma almost to Nebraska in a narrow oval two counties wide . . . — — Map (db m43260) HM
Originally named Cottonwood Station, Strong City received its current name from W.B. Strong, president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. This was an important railroad town and was also known for its stone quarries and stone . . . — — Map (db m45592) HM
The town of Strong City originated in March of 1871 when the Santa Fe Railroad was completed to the point then known as Cottonwood Station. Strong City was referred to as Cottonwood Station until 1881. In February of 1881 a petition was signed by a . . . — — Map (db m45601) HM
"It seemed... a lonely little house of scholarship, with its playground worn so bare... But that humble little school had a dignity of a fixed and far off purpose... It was the outpost of civilization... driving the wilderness farther into the . . . — — Map (db m60949) HM
Stephen F. Jones spared no expense in the construction of his Spring Hill Ranch outbuildings.
The Flint Hills provided the main building materials for both the house and outbuildings - high quality limestone quarried and hand cut here in Chase . . . — — Map (db m49503) HM
Upon completion, ranch owner Stephen F. Jones learned that his barn was one of the largest barns in the state of Kansas at the time.
Like most of the buildings on the ranch, the Spring Hill barn was built of limestone -- the foundation of the . . . — — Map (db m49498) HM
When Stephen F. Jones began acquiring this property for his Spring Hill Ranch in 1878, Kansas had been a state for 17 years, and much of the Kansas prairie was already being converted into cropland.
The majority of the land which now comprises . . . — — Map (db m49462) HM
The raised concrete slab behind the house covers a combination storm and root cellar, accessible from a lower level of the house. It is said that Mrs. Jones "feared tornadoes and took extreme precautions against them." This underground chamber also . . . — — Map (db m49501) HM
You have arrived at the only unit in the National Park Service dedicated to the tallgrass prairie ecosystem. Tallgrass prairie once covered a vast region that stretched from Mexico into Canada. Today, only a small fraction - perhaps less than four . . . — — Map (db m49499) HM