This site is at the north end of Main Street, called "Commercial Row," in this town begun in 1831. Name of nearby post office, "Fort Towson," was changed to Doaksville on Nov. 11, 1847. — — Map (db m52564) HM
Established May, 1824, under command of Col. Matthew Arbuckle to guard this region of Spanish border. Headquarters of Gen. S.B. Maxey, U.S. Army. Abandoned at end of Civil War. In the vicinity, Doaksville was important trading center and one time . . . — — Map (db m52576) HM
The Fort Towson Landing was south of here on the banks of the Red River. Also known as the Public Landing, from 1824 to 1854 it served as a receiving point for soldiers and supplies delivered by keelboats and steamboats. Traders from the Choctaw . . . — — Map (db m52578) HM
During the early 1800's, present Southeastern Oklahoma was a major transportation crossroads. Roads connected Fort Towson in the Choctaw Nation to military installations to the North, South and West. On the Texas side of the Red River, Jonesboro was . . . — — Map (db m52580) HM
For those who died in that terrible war: we bestow our highest honor, respect, and appreciation for they gave the supreme sacrifice.
For those who are still missing: we hope and pray for their return home.
To those who still suffer, . . . — — Map (db m61963) WM