Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cibola County New Mexico Historical Markers

 
Rear of Old Acoma "Sky City" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 23, 2010
Rear of Old Acoma "Sky City" Marker
New Mexico (Cibola County), Cubero — Old Acoma "Sky City"
Legend describes Acoma as a "place that always was". Archeological evidence shows it has been occupied since at least the 13th century. Established on this mesa for defensive purposes, Acoma was settled by inhabitants of nearby pueblos which had . . . — Map (db m36505) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Cubero — Pueblo of Ácoma
Built atop a great mesa for defensive purposes, Ácoma has been continuously occupied since the 13th century. A dramatic battle between the Ácomas and Oñate's forces occurred here in 1599. The mission church of San Esteban was built between 1629 and . . . — Map (db m36502) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Cubero — Pueblo of Laguna
Keresan speaking refugees from Santo Domingo, Acoma, Cochiti, and other pueblos founded Laguna after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and the Spanish reconquest of 1692. Named by the Spaniards for a marshy lake to the west, the pueblo still occupies its . . . — Map (db m36504) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Fence Lake — Fence Lake
There is a mysterious force that drives people to new lands and new frontiers. There is an abiding love for the land and newly turned soil, for young livestock and for the freedom of ownership, for the independence of spirit. This marker will remain . . . — Map (db m94982)
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — El MalpaisNational Conservation Area — Bureau of Land Management
Created December 31, 1987-Dedicated August 24, 1991. The El Malpais National Conservation Area (NCA) was the first area so designated by Congress in New Mexico. Congress established the NCA to conserve and protect the important geological, . . . — Map (db m100422) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — GrantsPopulation 11,451 Elevation 6500
Located just north of the great lava bed known as the malpais, Grants began as a coaling station for the Santa Fe Railroad. Around 1880 it was known as Grant's Camp, after the Canadian bridge contractor Angus A. Grant. In 1950, the area's vast . . . — Map (db m36472) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — GrantsPopulation 11,451 Elevation 6500 ft
Located just north of the great lava bed known as the malpais, Grants began as a coaling station for the Santa Fe Railroad. Around 1880 it was known as Grant's Camp, after the Canadian bridge contractor Angus A. Grant. In 1950, the area's vast . . . — Map (db m36473) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — San Rafael
San Rafael, formerly know as El Gallo, is located at a spring near the Malpais, the great lave flow to the east. The area was visited by members of Vásquez de Coronado's expedition in 1540. In 1862, it was selected as the original site of Fort . . . — Map (db m36475) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — Vietnam Veterans MemorialGrants, NM
Honoring the 58,249 KIA As of August 1, 2005 — Map (db m36474) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — Pueblo of Laguna
Keresan speaking refugees from Santo Domingo, Acoma, Cochiti, and other pueblos founded Laguna after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and the Spanish reconquest of 1692. Named by the Spaniards for a marshy lake to the west, the pueblo still occupies its . . . — Map (db m36506) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — Pueblo of Laguna
Keresan speaking refugees from Santo Domingo, Acoma, Cochiti, and other pueblos founded Laguna after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 and the Spanish reconquest of 1692. Named by the Spaniards for a marshy lake to the west, the pueblo still occupies its . . . — Map (db m36521) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — San José De La Laguna Mission
(Front of Marker:) The picturesque mission church of San José de la Laguna was built around 1706 by Fray Antonio Miranda and shows the single – aisle floor plan commonly used in pueblo churches. It has been repaired many times, and . . . — Map (db m36517) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — San José De La Laguna Mission
(Front of Marker:) The picturesque mission church of San José de la Laguna was built around 1706 by Fray Antonio Miranda and shows the single – aisle floor plan commonly used in pueblo churches. It has been repaired many times, and . . . — Map (db m36520) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Laguna — Susie Rayos Marmon - Ga-wa goo maa (Early Riser)1877-1988 — Laguna Pueblo
Educated at the Carlisle Indian School in Pennsylvania under the U.S. policy of acculturating Indian children through school and removal from their homelands, Susie was instrumental in bringing education back to Laguna. A lifelong teacher, oral . . . — Map (db m36519) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Paraje — The Battle of Khe Sanh Vietnam, 1968"Home Was Where You Dug it" — Eternally Bonded
(Side A:) The Battle of Khe Sanh claimed the lives of 2,097 United States servicemen. This historic marker is dedicated to honor and preserve the memory of New Mexico Servicemen who were killed in action or later died of their wounds. . . . — Map (db m70175) WM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Ramah — El Morro National Monument Inscription Rock
Until it was by-passed by the railroad in the 1880’s, its waterhole made El Morro an important stop for travelers in the Acoma- Zuni region. Numerous inscriptions carved in the sandstone date from the prehistoric, Spanish, Mexican, and . . . — Map (db m14129) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.