Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Claiborne County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Gen. John S. Bowen image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse
Gen. John S. Bowen
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Battle of Port Gibson – Grant’s MarchWindsor Battlefield Tour
The Battle of Port Gibson was one of the turning points of the War between the States, since this defeat of the Confederates led to the capture of Vicksburg. This strategic battle was fought eight miles west of Bethel Church on May 1, 1863. When . . . — Map (db m105841) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Battle of Port Gibson – The BattleWindsor Battlefield Tour
Confederate General Martin Green had posted his brigade near magnolia church with at outpost at the A.K. Shaifer House. Shortly after midnight, Green rode forward to check on his pickets. The General found Mrs. Shaffer and the ladies frantically . . . — Map (db m105844) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Bethel Churchc. 1845. Greek Revival. — Windsor Battlefield Tour
The original congregation of the Bethel Presbyterian Church organized in 1826 under the direction of Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, constructed this building in the mid 1840s. On the interior, ornamentation is completely lacking. The use of pilasters on . . . — Map (db m105784) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Bruinsburg — Canemount PlantationCa. 1855. Italianate Revival — Windsor Battlefield Tour
This house is considered the finest example of the Italianate Revival influence in Claiborne County. The house is located on the site of an earlier house built about 1826. — Map (db m105845) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal GunboatsFort Gibson Historic Tour
The river on April 29, 1863, was at flood stage and falling. It was overflowing its banks from the bluffs on the east to high ground beyond the flood pain to the west. The river bend upstream just above the "Point of Rocks" force the current of the . . . — Map (db m105714) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Memorial ChapelGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The building was donated to the State of Mississippi by the Rodney Foundation. It was moved to this site in 1983, and has been restored to its original condition. It will be used as a non-denominational chapel by religious and other groups approved . . . — Map (db m104099) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf
During the April 29, 1863 bom- bardment of Grand Gulf these rifle pits and the "covered way" which linked Fort Wade and Fort Cobun were held by the 3rd Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104338) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf
During the April 29, 1863, bombardment of Grand Gulf, these rifle pits were held by the 6th Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104293) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — First Grand Gulf Naval BattleGrand Gulf Historic Tour
In May 1862, cannoneers of Brookhaven Light Artillery, commanded by Captain James Hoskins, reached Grand Gulf. Hoskins had gunners emplace and mask four 6-pounders on bluffs behind the village. The task was to harass the Federals fleet commanded by . . . — Map (db m103932) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Cobun
On a ledge 40 feet above the Mississippi, the Confederates in March, 1863 , laid out Fort Cobun. Protected by a parapet nearly 40 feet thick were four big guns manned by Company A, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery. The guns of Fort Cobun under command . . . — Map (db m105777) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Wade
On a shelf overlooking the charred ruins of Grand Gulf the Confederate engineers built Fort Wade. Guibor's and Wade's Missouri Batteries manned its four big guns. When Admiral David G. Farragut's squadron passed Grand Gulf on March 31, the guns of . . . — Map (db m104093) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Wade Ammunition Magazine
Destroyed by the Confederates on the morning of May 3, 1863 when Grand Gulf could no longer be held against the Federal army approaching from Port Gibson, the large sections of iron grate are the remains of the town's jail which was moved into the . . . — Map (db m104094) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Grand Gulf
The town of Grand Gulf was burned by Admiral David Farragut's men in 1862 and occupied by Porter's Mississippi Squadron on May 3, 1863. The Union occupation followed Confederate Brig. Gen. John Bowen's evacuation of the town after the Battle of Port . . . — Map (db m105718) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Grand Gulf Military ParkGrand Gulf Historic Tour
In 1958 the Mississippi Legislature created the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission to purchase 1and and develop the Grand Gulf site. The Grand Gulf Military State Park opened in May, 1962. Dedication ceremonies were held April 7, 1968. On its . . . — Map (db m103924) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104296) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104301) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Naval Battle During Grant’s CampaignGrand Gulf Historic Tour
War returned in March, 1863. Fearful that Major General Grant’s army might bypass Vicksburg, Lieutenant General J. C. Pemberton ordered Brigadier General John Bowen to move his troops to Grand Gulf. During the next several weeks, Bowen’s troops . . . — Map (db m105776) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — On to Vicksburg
After crossing the Mississippi River and fighting the battle of Port Gibson April 30 - May 1, 1863, Gen. U.S. Grant moved to capture Grand Gulf as a base of operations against Port Hudson, Louisiana. Capturing Grand Gulf on May 3, Grant learned that . . . — Map (db m105723) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Paddle Wheel of the Confederate Transport CharmGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The paddle wheel, frame, and part of the pump came from the wreck of the Confederate Transport Charm in the Big Black River. The Charm, a 223-ton sidewheeler, was built in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1860. She was converted from a Yazoo River packet to . . . — Map (db m105715) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Point of Rock
In 1863 Point of Rock jutted far above the swirling waters of the Mississippi. Before the Civil War there was a large house with extensive gardens on top of Point of Rock. Before Brigadier General John S. Bowen’s troops were ordered to Grand Gulf in . . . — Map (db m105779) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church1868 - 1870 — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Listed in National Register of Historic Places, the church building was constructed in 1868, as the once flourishing river town was declining. Church completion was in the year preceding the disastrous 1869 fire. Although there is no recorded . . . — Map (db m104103) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church1890 - 1957 — Windsor Battlefield Tour
During 1890, the priest's house was constructed and the mission received a Christmas gift from the Society at Brussels for "Poor Churches" as one of the most destitute churches of the diocese. This gift probably contained the vestments and altar . . . — Map (db m104105) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Scotia — Port Gibson Historic Tour
Built by Thomas Foster as a one room log house in 1768 in the community of Scotia, located 5 miles south of the present town of Roxie in Franklin County, Mississippi. About 1789 a "dog trot" was added to connect a second room. The upstairs was added . . . — Map (db m104291) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Second Grand Gulf Naval BattleGrand Gulf Historic Tour
In April, 1863 Major General Ulysses Grant decide to alter his Vicksburg strategy by moving his troops down the Mississippi River. On April 29, 1863 the Federals launched a determined assault on Grand Gulf. The Confederates made a rigorous reply to . . . — Map (db m103933) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Site of Hot Shot Furnace
When General John S. Bowen’s troops moved to Grand Gulf in March 1863, they had to cope with the ocean-going warships of Admiral David G. Farragut. Knowing that these ships were made of wood, the Confederates determined to use hot shot against them. . . . — Map (db m105781) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104289) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104300) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — The Buildup for WarGrand Gulf Historic Tour
By the use of flying batteries, the Confederates were so mobile that the Union troops had much difficulty in stopping fortification of bluffs behind Grand Gulf. Harassment forced Commodore David Farragut to convoy the unarmed ships. In March, 1863, . . . — Map (db m103925) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — The Spanish House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
This house was built in the late 1790's of cypress, poplar and heart pine and put together with wooden pegs instead of nails. The Spanish built structure represents one of several homesteads erected by five different groups of "Conquerors" who . . . — Map (db m103935) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — This XIII-inch Mortar — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
This XIII-inch Mortar was probably used by the Union in the fight for Vicksburg. In the early 1900's it was seen partially buried in the levee on Davis Island. These mortars were mounted on schooners or box-like boats. . . . — Map (db m104294) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Town of Grand GulfGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The town of Grand Gulf began in the 18th century as a small British settlement. By 1828 it had grown to a village of three stores, one tavern, and several houses. There was a stage line to Port Gibson and steamboats stopped at its wharves. . . . — Map (db m105720) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Victories and Defeats - The Cost of WarGrand Gulf Historic Tour
Despite the estimated more than 2,500 heavy projectiles fired into the Confederate forts, there was little damage. The Confederates suffered three dead, including Colonel Wade, and eighteen wounded. Union losses totaled nineteen dead and fifty-seven . . . — Map (db m103929) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — War Comes to Grand GulfGrand Gulf Historic Tour
No town in Mississippi felt the sting of the Civil War worse than did Grand Gulf. In the spring of 1862, Commodore David Farragut sent his powerful ocean-going squadron up the Mississippi River. Baton Rouge and Natchez fell, but Vicksburg refused to . . . — Map (db m103928) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Water Wheel — Port Gibson Historic Tour
This water wheel was originally built for Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Peacock of Mendenhall Ms., in 1948 and was donated by them to this park in 1971.   The wheel was built for the purpose of generating electricity by water power that operated a Delco . . . — Map (db m104095) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Whirlpool
Grand Gulf was named for the large whirlpool or gulf formed by the current of the Mississippi River being diverted to the left by the rocky headland called Point of Rock. At the time of the Civil War, the Big Black discharged into the Mississippi at . . . — Map (db m105782) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — 7 — Federals Occupy Rocky Springs
After U.S. Grant had planned much of his campaign at Mrs. Bagnell’s, four miles west, he arrived at Rocky Springs on May 7. He remained until May 10, allowing the XV Corps to cross the Mississippi and rejoin the army. McClernand’s XIII Corps arrived . . . — Map (db m87358) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — Rocky Springs
The once active spring provided a natural stopping place for travelers on the Natchez Trace and helped establish and sustain the rural community of Rocky Springs. The 25 square mile town, which included a post rider relay station prospered for . . . — Map (db m97265) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — The Old Natchez Trace
This is the Natchez Trace. For many years it served man well, but as with many things when its usefulness passed, it was abandoned. Over the years, this time-worn path has been a silent witness to honor and dishonor. It bears the prints of . . . — Map (db m87357) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — The Town of Rocky Springs
At the end of this trail is evidence of a once thriving rural community. First settled in the late 1790's, the town grew from a watering place along the Natchez Trace, and took its name from the source of that water -- the Rocky Spring. In 1860, a . . . — Map (db m80147) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Alcorn Agricultural And Mechanical College
Established May 13, 1871, as Alcorn Univ. of Miss on site of Oakland College. Hiram Revels, first president. Reorganized 1878 and Alcorn A.&M. Oldest land-grant college for Negroes in the United States. — Map (db m117954) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Alcorn State University (1871)Windsor Battlefield Tour
Oakland College managed to continue operation until 1861. In 1871 the buildings were purchased for $42,500 by the State in order that a school might be established for blacks. Oakland College reorganized as Chamberlain-Hunt Academy and relocated to . . . — Map (db m119853) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Belles Lettres BuildingWindsor Battlefield Tour
Ca. 1851. Neoclassic Revival. The origin of this structure is uncertain. It is generally assumed to be one of two buildings completed in 1851 for use by a campus literary society. Its architecture is more properly called Neoclassic Revival. It does . . . — Map (db m117988) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Oakland CollegeWindsor Battlefield Tour
1830 - Oakland College was founded by Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain. Chamberlain envisioned Oakland as serving the 300,000 inhabitants of Mississippi. Louisiana, and Arkansas. Representatives of three Louisiana parishes and eight Mississippi counties . . . — Map (db m119854) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Oakland Memorial ChapelWindsor Battlefield Tour
Construction on Oakland Memorial Chapel was begun in 1840 by Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, the college's founder and president. It was completed in 1851, two years after the death of Dr. Chamberlain. While this structure was consistently referred to as . . . — Map (db m118257) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — Old Port Gibson to Rodney RoadWindsor Battlefield Tour
This road is the first established route from Port Gibson and Alcorn to Rodney, and was constructed in the early nineteenth century. Composed of loess soil, the old roadbed and roadside bluffs for the next 2.4 miles remain today much as they were . . . — Map (db m117987) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — The ChapelWindsor Battlefield Tour
1840-51. Greek Revival. This structure, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is one of the finest Greek Revival style remaining in Mississippi. The Chapel is in the familiar Greek temple form. Its two principal floors are raised . . . — Map (db m119851) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Lorman — The Original CampusWindsor Battlefield Tour
In 1840, Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, founder and president of Oakland College, reported on progress to Governor McNutt as follows: "We have 250 acres of land... and subscriptions to above $100,000, near one-half of which is due in the form of a . . . — Map (db m118256) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — Bruinsburg
About 14 miles west at the mouth of Bayou Pierre is the old river port settled by Peter Bryan Bruin in 1788. It was visited by Aaron Burr in 1807. Grant landed there in Vicksburg Campaign of 1863. — Map (db m103797) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — The Bernheimer Complex
Built by Samuel and Jacob, prominent Jewish businessmen, this complex forms an unusual group of consecutively constructed buildings of various architectural styles. This house, built in 1901, replaced an earlier one used by Gen. U.S. Grant as his . . . — Map (db m103796) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Battle of Port Gibson
On May 1, 1863, Confederate forces under Brig. Gen. John Bowen clashed with elements of two Union corps commanded by Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant. The battle began around midnight near the Shaifer House four miles west of town. At dawn, the Federals . . . — Map (db m35542) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre MoundsMississippi Mound Trail
Of the three original mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre, only one remains. A pyramidal platform, Mound A is currently 16 feet tall. Excavations indicate that Native Americans built the mound in multiple stages during the Coles Creek Period, from AD . . . — Map (db m103785) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre Presbyterian Church
Following the arrival of Presbyterian missionaries in 1801, Joseph Bullen and James Smylie organized the Bayou Pierre Church at this site in 1807. After part of the congregation formed the Bethel Church southwest of here in 1824, the remaining . . . — Map (db m70394) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg: 1863.Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi, May 1.
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant was composed of the 13th Corps and Logan's Division of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen, was composed of Tracy's, Cockrell's, Green's, and Baldwin's . . . — Map (db m104412) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County
Established on January 27, 1802, by first General Assembly. Claiborne County was the fourth county organized in the Mississippi Territory. Carved from Jefferson County (formerly Pickering County), of the Old Natchez District, the county was named . . . — Map (db m103802) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County Courthouse — Port Gibson Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104339) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Englesing Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
702 Church. Ca. 1817 Federal. The birthplace of Constance Cary who was one of the young ladies involved in making the first Confederate battleflag. The small formal garden is the only one of its type remaining in Port Gibson. — Map (db m104374) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 5 — Fight for Hankinson's Ferry
As Logan's division marched west toward Grand Gulf on May 3, 1863, M. M. Crocker's division moved toward Hankinson's Ferry. At Kennison Creek, one mile north, the road was blocked by two Confederate brigades. After a spirited skirmish, the . . . — Map (db m103822) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Baptist M.B. Church
Founded in 1867 by freedmen. Moved to this site ca. 1896. Played a vital role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Beginning in 1965, the NAACP held meetings here to promote boycotts of local white merchants, who subsequently filed suit. In . . . — Map (db m103805) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church
Second oldest Presbyterian Church in Old Southwest. Org. April, 1807, as Bayou Pierre Church. Moved to Port Gibson 1827. Zebulon Butler first resident pastor, 1827-60. Present structure built 1859. — Map (db m103807) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
609 Church. 1859-60 Romanesque Revival. This church with the hand pointing to heaven is the most famous building in Claiborne County. The original hand of gilded wood was carved by young Daniel Foley. — Map (db m104345) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Gage House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
602 Church. Ca. 1830-50 Federal/Greek Revival. One of the two remaining examples of this architectural style in Claiborne County. Double galleries have modified Tuscan colonnettes. The brick dependency possibly predated the home. — Map (db m104368) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Grant at Hankinson's Ferry
After occupying Willow Springs on May 5. 1863,. Gen. U. S. Grant divided his force. The XVII Corps advanced on Hankinson s Ferry 5 miles north of here in two columns. Gen. M. M. Crocker's division driving up this road encountered a Confederate . . . — Map (db m103849) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Grindstone Ford
This ford marked the beginning of the wilderness of the Choctaw nation and the end of the old Natchez District. Nearby Fort Deposit was a supply depot for troops clearing the Trace in 1801-02, and troops were assembled here during the Burr . . . — Map (db m61981) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Guthrie Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
703 Church. Ca. 1840 Greek Revival/Italianate. Italianate long windows and protruding bay windows are typical of many houses built just before the Civil War. The interesting and unusual etched glass panel in the front door depicts a pelican. — Map (db m104344) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Lightfoot ParkHorace L. Lightfoot (1927-1976) — Tradesman • Businessman • Public Servant
• Claiborne County native educated in local schools and Alcorn A & M College • First black citizen elected to the Claiborne County Board of Education - 1969 to 1974 • Operated a successful business on this site • Owned an . . . — Map (db m104424) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Mangum Mound
Excavation of this site tells us much about the people of the late prehistoric periods. The Plaquemine culture included the ancestors of the modern tribes of Mississippi and Louisiana. It was a society with elaborate agriculturally oriented . . . — Map (db m87325) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Methodist Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
901 Church. 1858-60 Romanesque Revival. The original building was constructed in 1826, but was destroyed by fire in 1858. The new church built on the same site, was dedicated July 8, 1860. — Map (db m104399) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Owens Creek
The sounds of a busy woodland stream and the quiet murmur of a lazy waterfall have long been stilled here. Only after a heavy rainfall does water fill the stream and set the waterfall singing.      Over the years the water table has dropped . . . — Map (db m87327)
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson
Incorporated in 1811, Port Gibson was first settled by Samuel Gibson, who acquired property along Bayou Pierre from the Spanish in 1788. First known as Gibson's Landing. Port Gibson, selected as the Claiborne County seat in 1803, had the state's . . . — Map (db m103803) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 21 — Rabbit Foot Minstrels
[front:] Rabbit Foot Minstrels. During the first half of the 20th century, the African American Rabbit Foot Minstrels entertainers played a major role in spreading the blues via tours across the South. Founded in 1900, the . . . — Map (db m35545) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Shreve House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
701 Church. Ca. 1825 Federal. The original floor plan consisted of four rooms, no center hall, front and back galleries. The designer and builder was Horatio Nelson Spencer, a prominent local attorney. — Map (db m104354) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Site of the Hermitage
W. 2 mi. Built about 1800 by George W. Humphreys, Birthplace of Benjamin Grubb Humphreys (1808-82). Brigadier General, C.S.A. Governor of Mississippi from 1865 to 1868. — Map (db m103800) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Skirmish at Willow Springs
When Union Gen. J. B. McPherson's XVII Corps reached Grindstone Ford, 2 miles south of here at dusk on May 2, 1863, the troops found the bridge across Big Bayou Pierre burning. Col. J. H. Wilson and a detachment put out the fire. During the night . . . — Map (db m103855) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — St. James Episcopal Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
808 Church. 1884-85. Ca. 1897 High Victorian Gothic. The architect was W.P. Wentworth from Boston. The entire structure reflects contemporary architectural developments in Massachusetts rather than in Mississippi. — Map (db m104400) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Sunken Trace
Preserved here is a portion of the deeply eroded or “sunken” Old Trace. Hardships of journeying on the Old Trace included heat, mosquitoes, poor food, hard beds (if any), disease, swollen rivers, and sucking swamps.      Take 5 minutes . . . — Map (db m87313) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Temple Gemiluth Chassed — Port Gibson Historic Tour
706 Church. 1891-92 Victorian Moro-Byzantine Revival. The architects of Temple Gemiluth Chassed, which means gift of the righteous, combined Moorish, Byzantine and Romanesque styles to produce a building unique in Mississippi. — Map (db m104343) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Federals Occupy Port Gibson
About dark on May 1, 1863, Gen. W. E. Baldwin's Confederates retreated through Port Gibson. After crossing the suspension bridge over Little Bayou Pierre, the Confederates set it afire. On the morning of the 2d. the Union army entered the beautiful . . . — Map (db m103808) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Port Gibson Boycott
On April 1, 1966, the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) imposed an economic boycott on the majority of the white-owned businesses in Port Gibson/Claiborne County. In the months leading up to the . . . — Map (db m104340) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor MoundsMississippi Mound Trail
Windsor Mounds includes four rectangular platform mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre. Mound A, visible from the road, is the largest at over 30 feet, and has a ramp extending toward the east. Mounds B, C, and D range in height from 3 to 16 feet. The . . . — Map (db m103783) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor Ruins
Smith Coffee Daniell II, a successful cotton planter, completed construction of Windsor in 1861. Daniell owned 21,000 acres of plantation land in Louisiana and Mississippi. Ironically, he died in April 1861, only weeks after completing his mansion. . . . — Map (db m70541) HM

80 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.