Stretching for 130 miles across Clark County, this historic horse trail became Nevada's first route of commerce in 1829 when trade was initiated between Santa Fe and Los Angles. The trail was later used by the wagons of the "49ers" and Mormon . . . — — Map (db m29218) HM
When the government built Boulder City, it didn't plan for children. But, as the Depression drove workers into southern Nevada to build Hoover Dam, workers brought their families with them. The new town and surrounding desert provided an exciting . . . — — Map (db m71106) HM
Those that came to Boulder City to work on the dam lived in harsh conditions. The oppressive heat of the summers and the unbearable cold of the winters took its toll on many. Even the most mundane chores were difficult in this inhospitable . . . — — Map (db m71107) HM
At the height of Hoover Dam construction, more than 7,000 men labored in Black Canyon. Some jobs were glamorous and exciting, such as the high scalers who swung over the canyon on ropes or the cableway operators who kept concrete buckets moving 24 . . . — — Map (db m39487) HM
Originally a Native American trail, Bootleg Canyon – also called the Hooch Highway was a well-known backdoor into Boulder City and the Hoover Dam construction site during prohibition. Bootleggers brewed illegal alcohol in stills hidden in . . . — — Map (db m29324) HM
Originally founded in 1931 as a community for the workers building Hoover Dam, Boulder City was the first planned community in southern Nevada. Designed by Saco Rienk DeBoer, it was a federal reservation. Only workers associated with the building or . . . — — Map (db m71903) HM
Born in 1858, Dr. Elwood Mead became a world-renowned water and irrigation engineer. He wrote Wyoming's first water code, the basis for codes throughout the United States, Australia, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand. He wrote the Carey Act, led . . . — — Map (db m31902) HM
Eldorado Canyon runs east from here to the Colorado River and was the site of one of Nevada's mining booms. Prospectors began digging for gold and silver here, about 1859, forming the Colorado Mining District. The three largest mines, the . . . — — Map (db m29328) HM
[ Front ]:
"The Old Man"
Francis Trenholm Crowe
Born: October 12, 1882
Died: February 26, 1946
World's Outstanding Builder of Dams
[ Right Side ]:
"We had 5,000 men in a 4000-foot canyon. The problem was to . . . — — Map (db m39485) HM
The building of Hoover Dam was a ray of hope for a nation struggling
with hard times. Newsreel images of the high-scalers who worked the
canyon walls ignited public interest in the project.
“Scaling” is the process of removing . . . — — Map (db m111191) HM
Since 1935, Hoover Dam and Lake Mead have provided flood control, irrigation, drinking water, and power to communities in the desert. These resources have transformed the southwest into production farmland and thriving communities. The dam was . . . — — Map (db m31879) HM
[ Front ]:
They endured the hardships so all of America might prosper
This Memorial was contributed by the men and women who built Hoover Dam to commemorate the 50th anniversary of its dedication
September 30, . . . — — Map (db m39486) HM
This cast steel turbine runner (water wheel), which is 14.2 feet in diameter and weighs over 34 tons, powered the N-7 generator at Hoover Dam Power Plant from 1944 to 1982. The function of a turbine runner is to convert the force of falling water, . . . — — Map (db m29248) HM
In 1930, Michael McKeever set up a small tent house in Hermenway Wash slightly north of Government Survey Camp #1, where he was a government cook. Soon other workers started building homes nearby, and the area became known as McKeeversville. . . . — — Map (db m69447) HM
May all who cross the canyon on this memorial bridge travel their life journeys with the strength and inspiration found in the high ideals and heroic deeds of these brave humble men.
In Memory of these men of heroic sprit who overcame . . . — — Map (db m46836) HM
Legend has it there are many workers buried in Hoover Dam. However, due to the manner in which the Dam was constructed, this would have been impossible. "Puddlers" directed buckets of concrete over empty forms, released the concrete, and then used . . . — — Map (db m39488) HM
Named for an 1890's railroad which was never built, Railroad Pass first became a destination after Professor Robert T. Hill discovered alunite in the area in 1908. A mining district was formed, but only small amounts of gold were found. Mines in the . . . — — Map (db m39484) HM
The Boulder Dam Hotel has been part of Boulder City history since its opening in 1933. Designed by Mort Wagner the hotel was built by Paul Stewart "Jim" Webb, Raymond Spilsbury, and Austin Clark. It is located in Cardenas Plaza - known today as . . . — — Map (db m39502) HM
The Hoover Dam mascot only acted like he owned the dam,
but without a doubt, he owned the hearts of its workers.
The dog wandered freely around the job site; up ladders, over catwalks and
through tunnels. He even rode the open-air elevator . . . — — Map (db m111204) HM
The Hoover Dam construction crew’s mascot was found as a
puppy by workers at the construction camp. This dog traveled
to and from the dam site with them and spent his days visiting
the many work areas. On February 21, 1941, the life of this . . . — — Map (db m111203) HM
In 1938, Transcontinental and Western Air Lines, later Trans World Airlines, began serving Clark County, flying into Bullock Field in Boulder City. The airline believed that Boulder City would be a more lucrative market than nearby Las Vegas, and . . . — — Map (db m46833) HM
About two miles in front of you, the remains of the town of Callville lie buried in silt on the bottom of Lake Mead. Originally developed as a port on the Colorado River to supply goods to Mormon settlements, Callville had long been a desolate ruin . . . — — Map (db m3917) HM
Originally known as Stage Field, this was an outlying airfield of Camp Ibis, one of the eleven camps established within the Desert Training Center, California-Arizonan Maneuver Area during World War II. Developed by General George S. Patton, Jr., . . . — — Map (db m78522) HM
This small spring, first used by Anasazi and Paiute people, also sustained the caravan that pioneered a pack route now known as the Old Spanish Trail. En route to Los Angeles from Santa Fe, trader Antonio Armijo, 60 men and 100 mules camped here on . . . — — Map (db m39470) HM
Ore deposits readily recognized in the faulted and folded limestone deposits of this district remained unworked until 1856, when the Mormons developed a single lead mine at Potosi—probably the oldest lode mine in Nevada.
Named for . . . — — Map (db m39471) HM
George Fayle moved to southern Nevada from Calico, California in 1904. He settled at Goodsprings Junction, which was later renamed for his wife Jean. In 1912, he moved to Goodsprings. He built the Pioneer Saloon in 1913, later building the Fayle . . . — — Map (db m39472) HM
Seeking Pay Dirt
In 1908, mining engineer Robert T. Hill staked a claim in Railroad Pass hoping to find gold deposits as rich as those in Goldfield to the north and Searchlight to the south. Hill reasoned that gold could surely be found at . . . — — Map (db m46738) HM
The name, "Arrowhead Trail" likely originated from the former San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake Railroad's logo, an arrowhead. Prior to 1850, New Mexican trading caravans from Santa Fe en route to Los Angeles used this segment of the Old Spanish . . . — — Map (db m69448) HM
On January 8, 1830, the first pack train to pass from Santa Fe, New Mexico to Los Angles crossed Las Vegas Valley. Antonio Armijo, a merchant in Santa Fe, commanded the train and roughly sixty men. The successful completion of the journey opened a . . . — — Map (db m29247) HM
Commissioner, Bureau of Reclamation, Department of the Interior, 1924-1936 whose life-time work culminated in construction of the Boulder Canyon project creating Lake Mead, named in his honor. — — Map (db m1313) HM
The man depicted on this monument is performing one of the most dangerous yet essential jobs in the construction of the (Boulder) Hoover Dam. Sitting in a bosun’s chair, hundreds of feet in the air, his job was to set charges and clear the loose . . . — — Map (db m24317) HM
The United States of America will continue to remember that many who toiled here found their final rest while engaged in the building of this dam.
The United States of America will continue to remember the services of all who labored to clothe . . . — — Map (db m1311) HM
Founded in 1904 as Goodsprings Junction, a station on the San Pedro, Los Angles, and Salt Lake Railroad, Jean received its current name in 1905 when the post office was opened. It was named in honor of Jean Fayle, the wife of George Fayle who had . . . — — Map (db m39464) HM
According to the early history of Elko, Nevada, this curfew and fire bell played a vital role for local citizenry. It often rang to signal disastrous fires, deaths of celebrities, and celebrations.
Harbinger of both good tidings and bad, the . . . — — Map (db m39466) HM
The first automobile road to connect Los Angeles and Las Vegas was the Arrowhead Trail Highway. Planned, promoted and built beginning in the second decade of the twentieth century, this was one of the named interstate highways of the Good Roads . . . — — Map (db m103380) HM
This site is near where workers drove the last spike which completed the railroad between Salt Lake City, Utah, and Los Angeles, California. It was driven on January 30, 1905. This was the last "transcontinental" line to Southern California and one . . . — — Map (db m29367) HM
Built in 1911, The Yellow Pine Mining Company Railroad was a twelve and a half mile long narrow gauge railroad connecting the town of Goodsprings with the Union Pacific Railroad here in Jean. The railroad was built using materials from the defunct . . . — — Map (db m107085) HM
Aladdin's Lamp was originally installed in 1966 at the Aladdin Hotel, 3667 Las Vegas Boulevard South.
Restored through a generous donation from Richard Schuetz and presented as a gift, with love, to Mayor Jan Laverty Jones and her children: . . . — — Map (db m64033) HM
On May 15, 1905, in this area, The City of Las Vegas was founded with the auction of lots in Clark's Las Vegas Townsite by San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad and Las Vegas Land & Water Company, predecessors of Union Pacific Railroad and . . . — — Map (db m47732) HM
This is a two sided marker
At this site on May 15th 1905, the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad auctioned off lots for the creation of the new city of Las Vegas. With 110 degree temperatures scorching . . . — — Map (db m47736) HM
This WWII neighborhood was named for the Nevada Biltmore Hotel which opened nearby in 1942. A WWII housing shortage called for the construction of several hundred homes for military personnel and their families. The federal government approved the . . . — — Map (db m51057) HM
Colorful Horseshoe Club owner Benny Binion and his family lived here from 1947 to 1989.
Originally built in 1942 by service station owner C.A. Morehouse, the home was one of the largest in Las Vegas with three bedrooms, several baths, a large . . . — — Map (db m51045) HM
The notorious Block 16, North First Street between Ogden and Stewart Avenues, was the only area in the Las Vegas Townsite, outside of hotels, where liquor could be sold, starting in 1905. The block quickly changed from its original liquor and . . . — — Map (db m47859) HM
The Chief Hotel Court sign was originally installed around 1940 at the hotel located at 1201 E. Fremont Street. Hotel architect was A. Lacey Worshwick.
Loaned and refurbished by the Tiberti Family.
Installed as part of the Neon Museum on . . . — — Map (db m64031) HM
This fairy-tale residence reflects the unique family that built it, whose roots stretch back to a pioneering Utah Mormon blacksmith, ranchers in Idaho and Nevada, and railroad workers in Las Vegas.
The life of Las Vegas pioneer Lucretia Tanner . . . — — Map (db m51052) HM
On May 15, 1905 Senator William Clark's railroad auctioned off lots to found the new town of Las Vegas. Block 20, between Second and Third and Carson and Bridger, was reserved for public purposes. In 1909 when the state legislature created Clark . . . — — Map (db m47822) HM
Built • 1927-28
Architect: Charles Alexander MacNelledge
Opened June 21, 1928
This building was Las Vegas' cultural center for many years. Its 700 seat auditorium and elegant Spanish motif lobby were used for films, plays, music recitals, . . . — — Map (db m47745) HM
John Steele, one of the original L. D. S. missionaries, secured a mail grant for the Las Vegas Mission. The documents to establish the Post Office, and, appointing William Bringhurst Postmaster, were brought from Salt Lake City by Benjamin H Hulse, . . . — — Map (db m29294) HM
1905 - 1908
City of Las Vegas
From within this area flowing artesian springs and wells provided the lifeblood to the valley and it settlers.
This abundant supply of water has been the most important asset in the . . . — — Map (db m47888) HM
This is a two sided marker
Standing on Fremont Street today, it's hard to visualize the canvas tents with hand-painted wooden signs that lined this dusty street and served as hotels, saloons, shops and banks in the early 1900's. . . . — — Map (db m47754) HM
This is a two sided marker
Like most western frontier towns, gambling was prevalent in the backrooms of early Las Vegas saloons and other establishments. From its inception as a railroad town in 1905, the citizens . . . — — Map (db m47737) HM
Opened around 1931 by Mrs. Mattie "Jimmy" Jones, the Green Shack restaurant was a town landmark at this site. The restaurant opened in a Union Pacific Railroad barracks building that was moved here; in 1934 additions were made to the structure. For . . . — — Map (db m47894) HM
Black entertainers were not allowed to stay at the Strip hotels where they performed in the 1940s and 1950s. Mrs. Harrison's boarding house offered fine accomodations for many of the era's most famous stars.
During one memorable week in . . . — — Map (db m51050) HM
The following text is from a missing 2005 Centennial Marker.
Fifth Street School
This graceful Mission-Style complex was built by the federal government in 1936 to replace the Las Vegas elementary school, which burned down in 1934. In . . . — — Map (db m48196) HM
This light standard was placed at the entrance to the Las Vegas Union Pacific Railroad Station in 1937. The Depot was removed in 1970 to make way for the Union Plaza Hotel. Mr. Frank Scott, Chairman of The Board of Union Plaza Hotel preserved this . . . — — Map (db m47734) HM
Las Vegas was established as a railroad town in 1905; at the head of Fremont Street, the Mission-style depot represented the railroad's dominance over the economic and social life of the town for several decades. The streets of downtown were laid . . . — — Map (db m47860) HM
Commerce on the Westside was short lived, collapsing in 1905 when rival Las Vegas Townsite opened on the east side of the railroad tracks. In 1942, the Westside defined a new commercial district to serve the ethnic population of the area.
The . . . — — Map (db m51051) HM
This Jerry's Nugget cabinet rotated atop a vertical tower of letters spelling "Nugget", advertising the popular North Las Vegas local's casino. Circa 1970s, the sign incorporates skeleton neon and hand lettering for lively day and night viewing. . . . — — Map (db m92471) HM
Here in the 1930s and 1940s, Korean immigrant Frank Kim raised melons, tomatoes, and onions. His devoted son, Frank Kim, Jr. became a pillar of the community.
From the early days of Las Vegas, Asian [...] considerable skill to make poor desert . . . — — Map (db m51046) HM
In 1855 Pres. Brigham Young appointed a company of men under the leadership of William Bringhurst to establish a colony at Las Vegas. The company left Salt Lake May 10 and arrived at Las Vegas June 14, 1855 and camped near this site. William . . . — — Map (db m29292) HM
This is a two sided marker
Las Vegas High School
As the population of Las Vegas increased throughout the 1920s and the construction of Hoover Dam was assured, many saw the need for a new high school. Principal Maude Frazier . . . — — Map (db m47886) HM
The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) bought this ten-acre site in 1911 from Helen J. Stewart, former owner of the Las Vegas Ranch, to provide a home for the Southern Paiute Indians living in and near Las Vegas. With this purchase, the government . . . — — Map (db m51055) HM
The San Pedro, Salt Lake and Los Angeles Railroad bought Helen Stewart's Las Vegas Ranch in 1902, giving it control of the Las Vegas Springs and the water supply needed for the creation of Las Vegas in 1905. The railroad's subsidiary, the Las Vegas . . . — — Map (db m50274) HM
Bubbling artesian springs flowed here until they were exhausted in the middle of the 20th century, over-pumped to serve the city's growing population.
These springs and the creek they created gave life to the center of the valley. They erupted . . . — — Map (db m51043) HM
Lorenzi Lake, the dream of pioneer David G. Lorenzi, opened as a private resort in 1926, became the Twin Lakes Lodge in the 1940s, and a public park in 1966.
Arriving in southern Nevada in 1911, Lorenzi began building his park on 80 acres of . . . — — Map (db m51044) HM
The City of Las Vegas Mayor and City Council
An Art in Public Places Project by The City of Las
Vegas Arts Commission
In celebration of the Las Vegas Centennial
Sculpture by Steven Liguori
This 14' high . . . — — Map (db m47890) HM
Created by J.T. McWilliams in 1905, the Original Las Vegas Townsite was Las Vegas' first business and residential development.
J.T. McWilliams (photo top right) was hired to do survey work in and around the Las Vegas Valley for the San Pedro, . . . — — Map (db m51048) HM
Herman Moody, Las Vegas' first black career police officer, was raised in this house at 321 Van Buren Avenue, built by his parents (father Henry Moody pictured lower left) who came here in 1939.
As first African-American in Las Vegas to make a . . . — — Map (db m51053) HM
The first integrated hotel and casino in Las Vegas, the Moulin Rouge opened in May 1955. It is celebrated as a landmark of racial integration in Las Vegas and the United States.
Entertainers from the Las Vegas Strip and Hollywood flocked to its . . . — — Map (db m51047) HM
This is a two sided marker
Neon lighting, introduced in Paris in 1910, offered a brilliant, and efficient, alternative to the incandescent light bulb. In the United States, neon's popularity soared, used to advertise . . . — — Map (db m47755) HM
Opened in 1937 at 5th Street (Las Vegas Boulevard) and Garces, the Nevada Motel was the first auto court in Las Vegas to identify itself as a "motel". In its last years in business it operated in conjunction with the Sweetheart Wedding Chapel next . . . — — Map (db m64028) HM
On this site stood "Old Betsy," Las Vegas' first electric generator, which serviced the power needs of the new town. The generator, operated by the Consolidated Power and Telephone company, supplied electricity from 1906-1916. The company evolved . . . — — Map (db m47867) HM
After founding Salt Lake City in 1847, the Mormon Church expanded its settlement westward. The Las Vegas Mission was established in June 1855 as an outpost roughly halfway between Salt Lake City and Southern California. Built alongside the Las Vegas . . . — — Map (db m50273) HM
This portion of the Old Spanish Trail was discovered in January, 1830, by Antonio Armijo during his first trip from Santa Fe to Los Angeles. The spring just north of this marker provided excellent water and fed meadows of luxuriant grass for draft . . . — — Map (db m29219) HM
The desire of the Mormon settlements for economic self-sufficiency led to mining by missionaries for lead. In 1856 Nathaniel V. Jones was sent to recover ore from the "Mountain of Lead" 30 miles southwest of the mission at Las Vegas Springs. About . . . — — Map (db m29366) HM
This historical marker commemorates the valor and service of pioneer scout Rafael Rivera, the first Caucasian of record to view and traverse Las Vegas valley. Scouting for Antonia Armijo's sixty man trading party from Abiquiu, N.M. in January 1830. . . . — — Map (db m29167) HM
With gratitude to the Engelstad Family Foundation for its generous contribution to this Liberty Bell monument, and in recognition of the life and achievements of Ralph Louis Engelstad who personified the highest qualities of personal liberty. Just . . . — — Map (db m47828) HM
The Silver Slipper was originally installed on the grounds of the Last Frontier on Las Vegas Boulevard.
The Slipper was designed by Jack Larsen and built by Young Electric Sign Company. — — Map (db m92469) HM
St James has been a vital force in meeting the needs of this underserved, segregated but expanding community.
The second Catholic Church in Las Vegas, St. James opened in 1940 in a small concrete building at H and Morgan streets (pictured . . . — — Map (db m51049) HM
On this site Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel's original Flamingo Hotel stood from December 26, 1944 until December 14, 1993.
The hotel, which housed 77 rooms, including the notorious Mr. Siegel's “Bugsy Suite” or . . . — — Map (db m53373) HM
Created in1962 by architects Wayne McCallister and William Wagner and YESCO design staff. The three-story concave panel of interlocking neon "H" elements formed the corner bullnose for the casino's façade on Fremont Street. At the time, the . . . — — Map (db m92470) HM
The Flame Restaurant sign was originally installed in 1961 on the roof of the restaurant at #1 Desert Inn Road.
Restored through a generous donation from Rich Travis.
Installed as part of the Neon Museum on July 8, 1997
Believed to . . . — — Map (db m64029) HM
Las Vegas' first tract subdivision, the Huntridge neighborhood was erected between 1941 and 1944 on land purchased in the 1920s by international businessman Leigh Hunt. After his death in 1931, Hunt's widow sold off large chunks of land. In December . . . — — Map (db m47893) HM
In April 1855, Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, called thirty men to leave their families and possessions in the recently settled towns of Utah to serve a mission at the Las Vegas Springs. The verdant . . . — — Map (db m1419) HM
The Morelli House is a classic example of Las Vegas, mid-century residential architecture. It was built in 1959 by the Sands Hotel orchestra leader, Antonio Morelli, and his wife Helen. Originally located at 52 Country Club Lane in the former Desert . . . — — Map (db m69450) HM
Panel one: The Neon Boneyard Park Sign
The lettering on a neon sign is often the most memorable design component. The Neon Boneyard Park sign includes hidden reference to this aspect of the grand history of Las Vegas signage. Each letter in . . . — — Map (db m71210) HM
The Red Barn opened in 1958 as an antique store near Tropicana Avenue and Maryland Parkway. In 1961 the store was converted into a club that was the first coffeehouse in Las Vegas and a popular hangout among local college students. The Red Barn . . . — — Map (db m112138) HM
The Brahma Shrine is renowned throughout the Far East, to people of all faiths, as a place of prayer which in turn bestows prosperity and good fortune on those who come to visit and make their hopes and wishes known.
The casting ceremonies for . . . — — Map (db m80192) HM
The Wengert residence was originally owned by Cyril S. and Lottie Wengert. Built in 1938, this Tudor Revival home was designed by Architect, H. Clifford Nordstrom, and was amongst the largest in Las Vegas. Prominent in Las Vegas social and business . . . — — Map (db m114796) HM
Tule Springs is one of the few sites in the U.S. where evidence suggest the presence of man before 11,000 B.C.
Scientific evidence shows this area, once covered with sagebrush and bordered with yellow-pine forests, had many springs. These springs . . . — — Map (db m29960) HM
The three buildings on the site were constructed in 1949 as a part of Twin Lakes Lodge, a dude ranch surrounded by stables, a lake, rodeo grounds and a natural springs.
The buildings are on a portion of the 80 acre Lorenzi Resort originally . . . — — Map (db m69454) HM
As a founder of one of the pioneer families of Las Vegas, Ed Von Tobel came to the 1905 Las Vegas land auction and purchased a lot. He established a lumber company on Main Street in 1905 and then moved to this site in 1906. The hardware business . . . — — Map (db m47879) HM
The first school in West Las Vegas opened with two rooms and two teachers for four grades.
From 1904 until 1923, children from McWilliams' Townsite crossed the railroad tracks to get to school in Clark's Townsite. This dangerous situation . . . — — Map (db m51054) HM
Until 1914, when the railroad donated land for a city cemetery, people buried the dead in small family plots or on public land just north of the railroad-owened Las Vegas Ranch, east of Las Vegas Boulevard.
In pre-railroad times, the Paiute . . . — — Map (db m51056) HM
Opened in 1914 on ten acres of donated land, the cemetery was the unofficial veterans cemetery until 1989 and is the home of Veterans Memorial Circle
Is listed on the
of Historic Places — — Map (db m75589) HM
American Legion Post No. 60 Laughlin-Nevada proudly designates this Avenue of Flags in honor of all those who served honorably in the Armed Forces of the United States, protecting our country and assuring us that our flag will forever wave. . . . — — Map (db m37279) HM
After the United States government's successful experiment with camels in the west in 1857, entrepreneurs saw possibilities in the ungainly beasts for carrying supplies. In addition to the government's camels, which were sold off by 1864, two . . . — — Map (db m78520) HM
In first times, there was chaos, and from the union of earth and sky was born the Great Spirit Matavilya.
Before he could teach his people all they needed to know about their world, he was killed by his sister, Frog Woman. It was then that his . . . — — Map (db m40308) HM
During the building of Davis Dam, the Nevada side of the river here became known as Tristate. In 1964, Don Laughlin was looking for an investment opportunity. He had sold his 101 Club in North Las Vegas, and flew over a closed saloon and motel . . . — — Map (db m46732) HM
In 1855 Congress authorized $30,000 for camels as frontier military beast of burden because of their adaptability to desert heat, drought, and food.
Lt. Edward F. Beale surveyed the wagon route from Fort Defiance, New Mexico, to the Colorado . . . — — Map (db m32822) HM
Seeking to open a land route between the Missions of Sonora and California, Fray Francisco Hermenegildo Garcés, OFM, a Franciscan Missionary priest and explorer, was the first European to enter the present boundaries of Nevada. He departed Mission . . . — — Map (db m84277) HM
On this site was one of the first rest-over businesses in the Virgin Valley. Here an early version of an adobe brick house was used as a small grocery store with a separate wash house that had shower and laundry facilities, and a way station . . . — — Map (db m46745) HM
Abram Woodbury, one of the first permanent settlers in Mesquite, built a new home here circa 1919 and opened a mercantile store. He also built overnight cabins for tourists and operated Mesquite's first gas station. Abram purchased gasoline by the . . . — — Map (db m46762) HM
Circa 1901"We lived in a lumber granary and the old rock house. We traded for this lot and built a sixteen-foot square room. I borrowed Jim's team and wagon and worked at the sawmill to get lumber for our first home." It was braced on rocks and . . . — — Map (db m46764) HM
Charles Hardy, one of the first settlers in Mesquite, used lumber he brought back from Mt. Trumbull and local adobe to build the original large central room of his home – the other rooms were added later. The room was used as a bedroom, living . . . — — Map (db m46941) HM
This site was the location of the first commercial dairy in Mesquite, which began operating circa 1941. The barn was used by over twenty families in the community. According to a schedule, they would drive their cows to the barn twice a day to milk . . . — — Map (db m46743) HM
In the 1940's the place to go was Leonard Patty's soda fountain and drug store. This was the first soda fountain in town and served up all the favorites for quenching thirst in those days, including phosphates and sodas of all varieties – . . . — — Map (db m46763) HM
The Egg Association formed circa 1929 as a local cooperative, selling and distributing local eggs to tourist oriented businesses, or to market in Las Vegas. High school boys studying agriculture were part of the enterprise. The Association built a . . . — — Map (db m46746) HM
This adobe brick building was built by Deloy Abbott circa 1932. Behind the house was another adobe building used as a chicken coop. Ervin Jones purchased the home in 1941 and lived here until his death. The house was later converted to a business. — — Map (db m46741) HM
Mesquite proved a total failure after several years labor. And today only a few ravines and sand-filled ditches mark the place where the village once stood. —LDS Church Historian Andrew Jensen, 1891.
The remoteness of the area, . . . — — Map (db m1448) HM
John Pulsipher purchased the Tent School (Marker #9) and moved it across the street to this location to use as a residence. The following year he built a large adobe brick one-room house with walls three adobes thick. The tent was then converted to . . . — — Map (db m46747) HM
July 16, 1873 – November 30, 1956.
… from weary travelers to women and their children who would come to visit … she never turned anyone away without feeding them. She would invite you to eat and then say ‘There’s plenty such as . . . — — Map (db m1466) HM
The museum building started as a library and was one of only two National Youth Administration (NYA) projects in Nevada. Volunteers finished the building when NYA funds were diverted to the war effort. Clark County operated . . . — — Map (db m46744) HM
This is the oldest standing house in Mesquite and was continuously used as a residence from 1894 until 2003. The original portion of the house dates from circa 1880 occupation when Mesquite Flats was temporarily settled. The large rocks made the . . . — — Map (db m46748) HM
Public Square, Circa 1894 • Tent Chapel and School, circa 1899.
When Mormon settlers came to Mesquite Flats in 1894, they designed the southeast corner of this block as the Public Square. It was a place where the community gathered for many . . . — — Map (db m1412) HM
Stretching for 130 miles across Clark County, this historic horse trail became Nevada’s first route of commerce in 1829 when trade was initiated between Santa Fe and Los Angeles. The trail was later used by the wagons of the “49ers” and . . . — — Map (db m1414) HM
Circa Late 1890s.
The southeast quarter of this block was originally owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and was used as a tithing lot. Church members paid tithing in-kind donations of fruit, crops, etc., and . . . — — Map (db m1282) HM
Virgin Valley was traveled by Jedediah Smith in 1826 and by Fremont in 1844.
The valley served as the right-of-way for the Old Spanish Trail (1829-1848) and for the Mormon road or southern route of travel to southern California.
The areas . . . — — Map (db m1279) HM
This is a two-story adobe building with a rock foundation. The walls are three adobes thick and there are six rooms on each floor. Abbott served as Bishop of the local congregation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints for 27 years. His . . . — — Map (db m46740) HM
October 16, 1869 – February 19, 1949.
It was under William Abbott’s supervision that Mesquite was founded on a firm foundation. —Howard Pulsipher, Mesquite Pioneer.
At the age of eight, William journeyed . . . — — Map (db m1447) HM
About 1922, J. H. Nicolaides overheard two state highway engineers talking about the new route Arrowhead Trail Highway would take in southern Nevada. Realizing a service station would be necessary at the crossing the road would make over the Muddy . . . — — Map (db m114821) HM
Rich in prehistoric, pueblo-type culture, and noted by the explorer Jedediah Smith in 1826, Moapa Valley is crossed by the Old Spanish Trail.
In 1865 Brigham Young sent 75 families to settle the area, to grow cotton for the people of Utah, and . . . — — Map (db m46780) HM
Existing today as a 30-mile series of adobe ruins, this “Lost City” was once the home of an ancient Anasazi Indian civilization. Beginning with the basketmakers (300 B.C.-A.D.700) & followed by the Pueblos (A.D.700-1150) this valley was . . . — — Map (db m62112) HM
Stretching for 130 miles across Clark County, this historic horse trail became Nevada's first route of commerce in 1829 when trade was initiated between Santa Fe and Los Angeles. The trail was later used by the wagons of the "49'ers" and Mormon . . . — — Map (db m89437) HM
It looked like a big, black wall of water. There were maybe two or three waves. all carrying something, vehicles upside down. Manuel Cortez, Las Vegas Review-Journal
On September 14, 1974, a flash flood roared down Eldorado Canyon . . . — — Map (db m92464) HM
Toward the Colorado River from this point runs El Dorado Canyon where occurred one of the biggest mining booms in Nevada history. Gold and Silver mines were developed here about 1859 and soon rich mines were developed. In the 1860's the canyon was . . . — — Map (db m29326) HM
Toward the Colorado River from this point runs El Dorado Canyon where occurred one of the biggest mining booms in Nevada history. Gold and Silver mines were developed here about 1859 and soon rich mines were developed. In the 1860's the canyon was . . . — — Map (db m29327) HM
Eldorado Canyon, the site of a mining boom, runs east from here to the Colorado River. Prospectors began digging for gold and silver here, about 1859, forming the Colorado Mining District. The three largest mines, the Techatticup, Wall Street, and . . . — — Map (db m92463) HM
In 1940, Charley Kenyon and Art Schroeder located a cave above the Colorado River, about twelve miles northeast of this spot. In it were the remains of southern Nevada's last great renegade, Queho, who had been dead about six months. Queho had grown . . . — — Map (db m29332) HM
The Techatticup Mine, located in 1861, was the most important mine in El Dorado Canyon. It produced millions of dollars in gold ore, and was originally served by steamboats on the Colorado River. The mine's name is taken from two Paiute words . . . — — Map (db m29331) HM
Established by Conrad Kiel in 1875, this was one of the only two major ranches in Las Vegas Valley throughout the 19th century. The Kiel tenure was marked by violence. Neighboring rancher Archibald Stewart was killed in a gunfight here in 1884. . . . — — Map (db m22414) HM
Las Vegans claimed to be the originators of this all-weather route between Los Angels and Salt Lake City. From the beginning, the Arrowhead Trail was a "grass roots" effort including promotion by various chambers of commerce and volunteer . . . — — Map (db m78741) HM
An atlatl is a throwing stick or a dart thrower used by ancient tribes to give more force to their darts or spears. It was usually a wooden stick about two feet long with a handhold on one end and a hook on the other end. A slot cut in the tail end . . . — — Map (db m72354)
Once part of a sand deposit that covered a vast area, these rocks have been subjected to a relentless attack by harsh winds, rain, heat and cold creating the many unusual formations that make up the Valley of Fire. — — Map (db m72357)
During the early 1860's, Brigham Young directed that settlements be built in the area known today as the Moapa Valley. The water from the Muddy River, and the rich soil of the Valley, made the land a prime agricultural area for southern Nevada. . . . — — Map (db m47027) HM
January 28, 1885—October 10, 1962
Fay Perkins Sr., was born in Overton, Nevada and spent his entire life in Moapa Valley. In 1924, Fay Perkins and his brother John Perkins reported to Governor James G. Scrugham that many ancient Indian . . . — — Map (db m4036) HM
John J. Clark was born in Canada in 1844.
He enlisted as a private in Company F of
the New York Infantry in 1862, serving
actively in the Civil War. After being shot
in the hand and contracting typhoid
fever, he was honorably discharged
6 . . . — — Map (db m32812) HM
This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Museum was built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps to display artifacts of prehistoric Native American cultures. — — Map (db m4038) HM
In 1864 Brigham Young called for settlers to colonize the Muddy (now Moapa) Valley. On January 8, 1865, eleven men and three women arrived and began the first settlement at St. Thomas, now covered by the waters of Lake Mead. Later other settlements . . . — — Map (db m4039) HM
This park, situated on the old Arrowhead Trail, was designated on March 26, 1935 as Boulder Dam-Valley of Fire State Park.
Though four state parks were established by concurrent legislation, Valley of Fire is considered Nevada's first state . . . — — Map (db m3432) HM
Dedicated to those stalwart pioneers who forged an oasis out of the desert sands
The St. Thomas Cemetery was established in the 1860s in the town of St. Thomas, Nevada. Anticipating inundation of the town by the waters of Lake Mead, the graves . . . — — Map (db m4040) HM
On August 30, 1869, Major John Wesley Powell landed at the mouth of the Virgin River, about 12 miles south of here, thus ending the first boat expedition through the Grand Canyon of the Colorado River.
The expedition left Green River City, . . . — — Map (db m46781) HM
Indians of a highly developed civilization lived throughout Moapa Valley from 300-1100 A.D. Several hundred ancient pithouses, campsites, rockshelters, salt mines and caves of "Anasazi" people make up what is commonly known as "Lost City." These . . . — — Map (db m4041) HM
The sandstone formations that are so prominent in the Valley of Fire are made of sand grains that are almost pure silica. This huge dome is the finest example in the area of such a deposit. The change from white to red in the base of the dome occurs . . . — — Map (db m72359)
These three cabins were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) soon after the Valley of Fire became a state park in 1935. They are constructed of native sandstone and were used for many years to shelter campers and travelers visiting the . . . — — Map (db m72360) HM
has been designated a National Natural Landmark
This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the Nation's Natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment.
National Park Service . . . — — Map (db m3433) HM
This ruin appears to be a symbol of ancient times but was actually built in 1965 for the movie “The Professional.” The main movie set, a Mexican hacienda, was located where the parking lot is now. Railroad ties can still be seen sticking . . . — — Map (db m72358) HM
Originally known as Mesquite Valley, this area was first crossed in the 1850s by the Kingston Cutoff by the Old Spanish Trail. The first settlers did not arrive until 1876, when Miguel Navares began mining salt for the nearby Ivanpah mines. The . . . — — Map (db m107136) HM
George Frederick Colton can be considered to be the father of Searchlight. The Searchlight claim made on May 6, 1897 was the earliest claim of importance in what became the Searchlight Mining District. He is also credited with providing the name of . . . — — Map (db m29333) HM
Initial discoveries of predominately gold ore were first made at this location on May 6, 1897. G. F. Colton filed the first claim, later to become the Duplex Mine.
The Quartette Mining Company, formed in 1900, became the mainstay of the . . . — — Map (db m29369) HM
Gold was discovered near here in 1897. In July 1898, the Searchlight Mining District was organized and in October the post office opened. The boom peaked in 1907 and quickly faded along with the town. But the town never died, instead becoming the . . . — — Map (db m46736) HM
In 1946, Willie Martello came to Searchlight. He purchased the Wheatley Hotel, and remodeled it into a casino/restaurant. Renaming it the El Rey Club after a favored beer, Martello proceeded to change Searchlight history.
Martello's new club . . . — — Map (db m69446) HM
On 3 Aug 1970 a Navy P-3A
Orion crashed near here
with the loss of all
In Memory of
LT Timothy D. Bailing PPC
LT Norman L. Johnson TACCO
LTJG Henry J McGreevey CP
ADJ1 Ambrose Ordonia FE
ADJ! Johnny D Shelton FE
ATN3 . . . — — Map (db m46735) HM