Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clay County Florida Historical Markers

 
Camp Chowenwaw Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brandon D Cross, April 2, 2017
Camp Chowenwaw Marker
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-874 — Camp Chowenwaw
Created in 1932, Camp Chowenwaw (Cho’-wen-waw) derived its name from the Creek word for “sister.” Prominent Jacksonville resident Nancy Osborne, with support from local organizations such as the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, led the effort . . . — Map (db m102456) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-480 — Fort San Fransisco de Pupo
Pupo is first mentioned in 1716 as the place where the trail from the Franciscan Indian missions and the Apalachee (present-day Tallahassee) to St. Augustine crossed the river. The Spanish Government built the fort on the St. Johns River some time . . . — Map (db m62187) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — Green Cove Springs
High ground along the river and a flowing mineral spring drew the first inhabitants to this area some 7000 years ago, but historic development dates from 1816 when George I. F. Clarke erected a sawmill in this vicinity under a Spanish land grant. . . . — Map (db m63712) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-783 — Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery
Hickory Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1863, and the church’s congregation first worshiped here in one of the earliest buildings constructed in Clay County. The church was named for a grove of hickory trees that grew here. The original . . . — Map (db m102455) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-276 — Old Clay County Courthouse
When Clay County was created in 1858 by the Florida Legislature, Middleburg was named as temporary county seat. As a result of an 1859 election, Whitesville (Webster), became the official county court site. Clay County's 1st courthouse was located . . . — Map (db m65638) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — Sharon Baptist ChurchOrganized November 15, 1885
Organized by the Rev. James Hickey. Charter Members: Robert and Adeline Hogarth, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Tolar, Mrs. Sarah Smith, Mrs. Mahoney, Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Sullivant, and Mrs. Celia Weeks. Property for church given by T.H. and C.B. Hayden. Cemetery . . . — Map (db m110522) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-399 — The Bellamy Road
The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 17 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to . . . — Map (db m62644) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-496 — The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club
On February 20, 1883, the Village Improvement Association (V.I.A.) of Green Cove Springs was organized. Meetings were held in members’ homes. Money was raised to beautify the town, most of which was used for boardwalks, and 70 feet of clay pavement . . . — Map (db m65099) HM
Florida (Clay County), Keystone Heights — F-398 — The Bellamy Road
The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 100 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to . . . — Map (db m94394) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-58 — Fort Heilman
Fort Heilman, named after Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Julius F. Heilman, was built in the mid 1830´s at the spot where the north and south forks of Black Creek join. It was a temporary wooden stockade used during the First Seminole War as a . . . — Map (db m102605) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-840 — General Roy Stanley Geiger,United States Marine Corps
Roy Stanley Geiger, the “Father of Marine Corps Aviation,” was born on January 25, 1885, in his family home on what is now the campus of Middleburg First Baptist Church. He served as a school teacher, principal, and lawyer. Geiger joined . . . — Map (db m102461) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-329 — Middleburg
Middleburg developed in the early 1800s as a transportation center linking the St. Johns River with the peninsular interior. Originally settled in the 1820s as Clark´s Ferry, a crossing on Black Creek, it became a major military entrepot during the . . . — Map (db m102459) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-310 — Middleburg Methodist Church
Founded on or before July 27, 1828 by Isaac Boring, a Methodist Circuit Riding Preacher. First known as The Black Creek Methodist Church. This frontier Methodist society met in homes until the present church was built in 1847. In continuous use . . . — Map (db m102460) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — Thompson - Chalker Docks
Samuel B. Thompson owned and operated dock and warehouses at the foot of Thompson St. (now Wharf St., name changed about 1951). Thompson's warehouses were burned by Union soldiers in 1864.    After the Civil War, Albert S. Chalker operated . . . — Map (db m70285) HM
Florida (Clay County), Orange Park — F-798 — Orange Park
Orange Park was the site of a cotton and citrus British plantation, Laurel Grove, which was established by William and Rebecca Pengree during Florida’s British Period (1763-1783). Following the American Revolution, Florida was returned to . . . — Map (db m102603) HM
Florida (Clay County), Orange Park — Torpedo Warfare on the St. Johns River
During the War Between the States, the St. Johns River was a highway to Florida's interior. Lacking warships to counter the Union Navy's control of the river, Confederate forces turned to the use of torpedoes (submerged naval mines). On March 30, . . . — Map (db m67084) HM
Florida (Clay County), Penney Farms — F-465 — Town of Penney Farms 1927
James Cash Penney (1876-1971), philanthropist and founder of J.C. Penney Department Stores, purchased 120,000 acres in Clay County and invited farmers to claim 40-acre tracts by clearing the land, building houses, growing crops and raising . . . — Map (db m101184) HM
Florida (Clay County), Starke — F-655 — Camp Blanding
Camp Blanding, established as a National Guard base in 1939, is named for Major General Albert Blanding (1876-1970) who commanded a brigade in WWI, was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, and was Chief of the National Guard Bureau. He . . . — Map (db m70317) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.