Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clearfield County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
George Atcheson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, August 4, 2017
George Atcheson Marker
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Burnside — George Atcheson (1787-1877) Abolitionist and Underground Railway Operator
1820 Atcheson settled in Susquehanna's West Branch, upstream from this point. 1845 he built 2 large houses connected at different levels, secreting an area to hide slaves. Spiriting slaves from the Mason Dixon Line to Canada became a dangerous . . . — Map (db m106637) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Cherry Tree — Cpl. Warren J. Shepherd 1871-1942 Medal of Honor
Shepherd fought in the Spanish-American War at El Caney, Cuba with Company D, 7th U.S. Infantry. He was awarded the Medal of Honor on July 1, 1898. Superior officers repeatedly cited him for bravery above and beyond the call of duty. Born in . . . — Map (db m94393) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Bigler House
This property was deeded in 1825 by Abraham Witmer to A.B. Reed, a descendent of an early Clearfield settler, making it one of the county's earliest recorded property transactions. According to an early map of the borough, the lot was owned by . . . — Map (db m65558) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Chinklacamoose
Name of the Indian village located here, and visited by C.F. Post while traveling to an Indian council at Kuskuski in 1758. The later Clearfield is said to get its name from clearings made by grazing bison along nearby creeks. — Map (db m77501) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Civil War Resistance
Recruitment officer Col. Cyrus Butler was shot and killed by local draft resister Joseph Lounsberry in October 1864 just west of this location. Afterwards, the government sent troops to the county and arrested over 150 men. This included the Bloody . . . — Map (db m106580) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Clearfield County
Formed March 26, 1804 out of Huntingdon and Lycoming counties. Clear fields, found by early travelers, gave rise to the name. County was important for logging and rafting on the West Branch, 1850-1901. The county seat, Clearfield, was incorporated . . . — Map (db m65560) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Clearfield County Courthouse
Clearfield County, formed March 26, 1804, was named for the clear fields found by early travelers. The first courthouse, in use for 46 years, was built circa 1814. The cornerstone for the second present courthouse was laid June 04, 1860, and . . . — Map (db m65559) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Clearfield County's First Jail
The first county jail, c1820-1841 was a log structure, one of the oldest buildings in town. The jail is contained in the dwelling at 105 S. Second St. The second jail, 1841-1872, was a stone structure built on Market St., directly behind the . . . — Map (db m65561) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Daniel Ogden (1734-1819)
A Revolutionary War Lieutenant from New York State, Daniel Ogden came to the Indian village of Chinklacamoose and its clear fields in 1797. He made friends with the Indians who helped him build a house near where Ogden Avenue now intersects Second . . . — Map (db m106599) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Dimeling Bridge
An Indian path, the 1796 State Road and the Erie Pike crossed Clearfield Creek here. Nearby, Ardery's Sawmill and Elder's Woolen Mill were among the first in the county. In 1857, armed rafters drove floaters of logs from the creek. Rafting continued . . . — Map (db m106600) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — French and Indian War Expedition
In 1756 a British exploratory force led by Captain John Hambright ventured up the West Branch of the Susquehanna River to Chinkalamoose near this site. They were on a mission to search for French forces and their Indian allies who were raiding . . . — Map (db m106624) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Hillcrest Cemetery
Founded in 1881 it is the burial place of Gov. William Bigler, banker Ai F. Boynton, Dr. Dorothea McClure Gilmore, State Treasurer F.G. Harris, Hon. James Kerr, first county resident elected judge David Krebs, last WWI vet Alfred Livergood, Alfred . . . — Map (db m106661) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Kurtz Brothers Building
This site and the adjacent building was the first permanent location of Kurtz Bros. and Kurtz Stationery Store, founded in 1894 by Chas. T. Kurtz. The building was designed in 1901 by Washington, D.C. Architect Louis Frederick Stutz. — Map (db m65565) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Kurtz Field
Clearfield Little League Baseball was chartered and first played on this field in 1949. On December 3, 1952, Chas. T. Kurtz, Kurtz Bros. and the Kurtz family gave this field to the Clearfield Little League Baseball Association for a permanent home . . . — Map (db m106664) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Murray House
The adjacent house, built in 1880, was the home of Thomas H. Murray (1845-1916) and his wife Jennie Reighard (1847-1907). Mr. Murray was a well known lawyer, public speaker and churchman who did much to establish land and title work throughout . . . — Map (db m65566) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Presbyterian Church
This is the site of the first wooden Presbyterian Church in Clearfield, built in 1841 during the pastorate of Rev. Frederick Gregory Betts. Rev. Betts was a noted "circuit riding" preacher who traveled the country and was well known in central . . . — Map (db m65569) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Senator William I. Betts
Former site of the home of Senator Betts (1870-1946) and his wife, Isabella Holt Murray, (1875-1939). Senator Betts served in the State Senate from 1923-1926. He and his father, William W. Betts, were one of the first fathers and sons from the same . . . — Map (db m65570) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Senator William W. Betts
This site was the home of Senator Betts (1838-1896) and his wife Margaret Irvin, (1839-1910) of Curwensville. Senator Betts was the son of Rev. Frederick Gregory Betts. He and his son, William Irvin Betts, were one of the first fathers and sons from . . . — Map (db m65571) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Trout Stocking
1968 - the Old Town Sportsman Association started trout stocking 1975 - the Old Town Sportsman Association started its annual fishing derby 1999 - the PA Fish and Boat Commission started stocking trout as part of its annual stocking program . . . — Map (db m107915) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — William Bigler (1840-1880)
State Senator, 1841-1847; Governor of Pennsylvania, 1852-1855; and U.S. Senator, 1856-1861. Opposed slavery; favored a Southern compromise to avoid the Civil War. His brother, John, was elected Governor of California, 1852. Resided here. — Map (db m65575) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Zenas Leonard (1809-1857)
Clearfield native and fur trader, Leonard was second in command of the Joseph Reddeford Walker Expedition from 1831-1834 to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Leonard served as the expedition''s clerk and . . . — Map (db m65576) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Coalport — Coalport
The Reilly Post Office served the area until 1883 when the borough was incorporated and the name changed. Growth came with the arrival of the Bell's Gap Railroad in 1883 which opened the area to coal mining. The once bustling town had theatres, . . . — Map (db m107893) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — 2004 Bicentennial Raft
On March 13, 2004 an authentic timber raft 28 ft. x 110 ft. launched from this point for a 26-mile journey through the county to below Shawville. The raft, including a cabin, was built by over 100 volunteers using logs supplied by Robbins Lumber, . . . — Map (db m107913) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — Arnold N. Nawrocki (1925-2003)
While working for the Clearfield Cheese Co. on nearby Meadow St., he invented the first commercially successful process for individually wrapped cheese slices. A patent was issued in 1956. An engineer, Nawrocki secured eleven food processing patents . . . — Map (db m77500) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — Curwensville Dam
Begun in 1962 as one of four dams built to protect the West Branch Basin from flooding, it was completed November 1965. Unlike the devastating floods in 1889 & 1936, Pennsylvania's worst flood in 1972 was less severe in Clearfield County. The . . . — Map (db m106597) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — Doughboy Monument All Wars Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the everlasting memory of the heros of all the wars who by their heroism and sacrifice have made the United States of America the foremost country of the world. Erected in honor of the World War Veterans of . . . — Map (db m3955) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — Hogback (Porter's) Bridge
A single-span Pennsylvania (Petit) through truss bridge crossed the West Branch of the Susquehanna River here from 1893 to 1989. Replacing a wooden structure destroyed by fire, it took its name from nearby geographic features. This 215 foot . . . — Map (db m106662) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — McClure Cemetery
Revolutionary Soldiers Arthur Bell John Bell William Bloom Sr. James McCracken Thomas McClure Mark Jordan Nicholas Straw — Map (db m106712) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — The First Church in Clearfield County
. . . — Map (db m106623) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Curwensville — Trout Water
September 23, 2013 the PA Fish & Boat Commission (PFBC) expanded trout stocking to the Curwensville area from the confluence of Anderson Creek downstream to Porter's Bridge. This 2.8 mile addition will receive some 2,200 trout April 10, 2014 for the . . . — Map (db m106715) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Frenchville — Frenchville
French immigrants settled the area in 1832. A pure strain of the French language was spoken here until the 1960's. Since St. Mary's Catholic Church was built in 1870, it has been the site of the annual Frenchville Picnic. The first white burial in . . . — Map (db m106625) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Grampian — Grampian
Originally called Pennville, the Grampian Hills P.O. served the area (1833-1892) when it became Grampian. The first county rural mail delivery started here in 1900, carrier E.A. Spencer. In the 1820s Quaker pioneers built a log meeting house at the . . . — Map (db m106659) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Houtzdale — Miners' Strikes
In 1869, 1872 and 1875 the first major coal strikes spread to this area. In 1872 four men were shot at the Sterling RR Station. The strike started unionism in the county. The 1875 strike resulted in over 50 arrests for riot and conspiracy at Goss . . . — Map (db m107896) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Karthaus — Karthaus Furnace
Near here stood the iron furnace erected 1817 by Peter Karthaus. Rebuilt 1836 by Peter Ritner and John Say, it became in 1839 one of the earliest to use coke in place of charcoal. Abandoned at the end of the same year. — Map (db m77502) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Luthersburg — Old State Road Milesburg to Waterford
The first road to the northwest frontier of Pennsylvania. Opened to the Allegheny River in 1804. In this section, it followed, generally, the course of the Chinklacamoose Path. During the War of 1812, troops under Major McClellan were transported . . . — Map (db m65567) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Luthersburg — The Big Spring
Former camping place at the junction of two Indian paths: the Great Shamokin, running from Sunbury to Kittanning; and the path to Venango, now Franklin. During War of 1812, Maj. McClelland's force camped here. Spring is 60 yards SW. — Map (db m65573) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Madera — Alexander Cemetery
On July 1, 1784 Revolutionary War Soldier James Alexander (1726-1791) received a warrant for this ground. In 1809 his son William Brown Alexander (1782-1862) settled here, and the area became known as Alexander's Fording. His will, dated April 25, . . . — Map (db m107900) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Madera — Alexander's Fording
On July 1, 1784 Revolutionary War Soldier James Alexander (1726-1791) received a warrant for 413 acres in Clearfield County. James served with Washington at Valley Forge during winter of 1777-78. In 1785 James and son Robert visited here. Four . . . — Map (db m107903) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Mahaffey — Last Raft
From the 1840's until c1912, thousands of county rafts floated billions of board feet of timber to mills in Lock Haven, Williamsport and Marietta. On March 14, 1938, a reenactment "Last Raft" left a traditional assembly point at Charlie McGee's . . . — Map (db m106665) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Mahaffey — McGee's Mills Covered Bridge
Only remaining covered bridge over any branch of the Susquehanna River. Thomas McGee built this single span Burr arch truss bridge in 1873 for $175 using hand hewed white pine timbers from the area. It was the last covered bridge built in Clearfield . . . — Map (db m106713) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Mahaffey — Melvin L. Brown
Welcome to Mahaffey Est. 1889 Home of Melvin L. Brown Feb 22, 1934-Sept 5, 1950 U.S. Army Recipient of the Medal of Honor Korean Conflict — Map (db m87616) WM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Mahaffey — Rev. A.W. Tozer (1897-1963)
One of the most significant evangelical Christian authors of the 20th century, Tozer was born a few miles south of here in LaJose (Newburg). A pastor with The Christian and Missionary Alliance and a nationally recognized theologian, lecturer and . . . — Map (db m106714) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), New Millport — The Bell Site Dig
From 1979-1985, Harry Matlack discovered 126 Late Woodland Indian graves with encampments dating from 1500 to 1650 at the old Grier Bell Farm near here. This site was a three-component village, home for at least three different groups, each building . . . — Map (db m107911) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), New Washington — John Ludwig Snyder 1746 - 1860
A German native, Snyder came to PA in 1758; to this county c1820. Serving 6 years, he fought under George Washington and Gen. Wayne at Trenton, Brandywine, Germantown, Paoli and wintered at Valley Forge. He was a friend of Marquis de Lafayette and . . . — Map (db m65263) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Olanta — Bloody Knox
On December 13, 1864, Co. C 16th VRC of the Union Army surrounded the Barnett log house at this site and requested the surrender of deserters and draft dodgers. Deserter Tom Adams fired and killed Union Soldier Edgar Reed of New Hampshire. Adams was . . . — Map (db m107906) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Olanta — Civil War Draft Resistance
The county draft roll of August of 1864 had over 500 names, and only 150 men answered the call. In June 1863 assistant marshal David Cathcart was shot in Knox Twp. by draft dodgers working as loggers. Homes were set fire in Graham Twp. by draft . . . — Map (db m107908) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Osceola Mills — Osceola Mills
The first town in the county to receive a railroad in 1862 and the telephone in 1878. In 1874 Berwind-White, the 4th largest coal company in the world, was founded here. The 1875 fire made homeless over 1200 of 1500 residents. Birthplace of . . . — Map (db m107898) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Penfield — George Rosenkrans
Noted band composer (1881-1955) lived most of his life in Penfield and was church organist here. Rosenkrans wrote piano and organ music and hymns, as well as over 200 band numbers. Among his marches are "Triumphant Battalions" and "Our Glorious . . . — Map (db m42901) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Penfield — Philip P. Bliss
The great singing evangelist and gospel song writer was born July 9, 1838, in a log house which stood a little distance from here. He lived and worked on the farm and in nearby lumber camps until the age of 16. — Map (db m42902) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Rockton — Snowshoe/Packersville Turnpike
This turnpike was authorized by the Assembly in 1828. It left the Lake Erie Pike at Black Moshannon, then on to Allport, Kylerville (Bigler) and to Clearfield Town. Built to establish postal service to Clearfield as the County seat. From Clearfield . . . — Map (db m65572) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Smithmill — William A. Nevling Tavern
Nevling's Keystone Inn (c1849-1890s) is located on the old Wilderness Trail between Tyrone and Grampian. In May 1861 Col. Irvin passed by here with the Bucktails enroute to Tyrone during the Civil War. This was the last stage route in the county . . . — Map (db m107895) HM

51 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement