Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clermont County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Morse House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 5, 2016
Morse House Marker
Ohio (Clermont County), Amelia — Morse House
Built by Increase Sumner Morse, 1806- 1875, circa 1850. This is one of the oldest buildings in Amelia and was constructed of bricks fired in a kiln on site. The house has served as an inn, and a store. Originally the house was located on . . . — Map (db m99697) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Batavia — Anderson State Road 1804
Tealtown and Baldwin Roads were once part of an old state road. In 1804, the new state of Ohio appropriated $1,650 for the purpose of making a road to go from Chillicothe through Cincinnati, to the West line of the state. Isaac Anderson, of . . . — Map (db m99475) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Batavia — Lake Allyn Site
The Clermont County Fair was held here from 1857 – 1863. In 1861, Civil War Camps Lucas and Scott were located here. In 1901 the Cincinnati, Georgetown and Portsmouth Railroad (CG&P), 1876 – 1935, constructed a ten acre lake named . . . — Map (db m99692) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Batavia — One-Room Schoolhouses — Lucy Run
The nearby Lucy Run School (1885) is an example of the one-room schoolhouses that served rural Clermont County from 1800 to 1930. Before an Ohio law assessing taxes for public schools was passed in 1825, the first schools were by . . . — Map (db m99693) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Batavia — Tri-State Warbird Museum — The Walk of Veterans
Tri-State Warbird Museum (logo) The Walk of Veterans we salute the honored veterans who defended our freedom. Their courage, valor, and sacrifice serve as an inspiration to all. — Map (db m99691) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Bethel — 2-13 — Early Settlers Burial Ground
Resting here among other pioneers are: Obed Denham, native of Plainfield, New Jersey, donor of this plot, founder of Bethel in 1798, and pioneer abolitionist; Thomas Morris, antislavery leader, veteran state legislator, U.S. senator . . . — Map (db m99989) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Bethel — Pvt Edgar R. Aston-Medal of Honor Memorial
Medal of Honor Private Edgar R. Aston, Company L, 8th U.S. Cavalry Indian Wars. Battle San Carlos, Arizona Territory 1865 with two other men, he volunteered to search for a wagon passage out of a 4,000 foot valley wherein an Infantry Column was . . . — Map (db m108890) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Chapel- Mt. Moriah

United Methodist Church. Organized in 1835 as the Methodist Protestant Church of Tobasco. Meetings were held in a schoolhouse until 1842, when the church erected this small brick . . . — Map (db m99694) HM

Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah Cemetery
The Union Township Trustees operate and maintain the cemetery. It is situated on land purchased in 1800 by Withamsville founder, Maurice Witham. Interred here are some prominent pioneers and citizens - - the Witham family, Indian fighter . . . — Map (db m99695) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah Veterans Memorial
1941 - 1945 In memory of these men who gave their lives for freedom in World War II

Alvin Earl Beard James C. Butts William A. Rolke Loren Hoderlein Merle Patterson Albert Wienner — Map (db m99696) WM

Ohio (Clermont County), Felicity — Edgington Mound
This burial mound was built during the time period 1000 B.C. to 400 A.D. Because the 15 foot 9 inch mound is conical shaped, it is believed to have been built by the Adenda Culture. It is 133 feet in diameter at the base. The mound received its . . . — Map (db m99947) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Felicity — Felicity Underground Railroad
This is the site of the home of William Sleet, a black abolitionist. A blacksmith, he was a prominent member of the Felicity Underground Railroad operation. Felicity was a very important community on the Underground Railroad that helped escaped . . . — Map (db m99963) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Felicity — Felicity Veterans Memorial
Our gift to the village “Lest we forget” over the years, the Village of Felicity and surrounding communities have given freely its sons and daughters to serve in the quest for world peace.

Many residents from this area, their . . . — Map (db m99978) WM

Ohio (Clermont County), Felicity — Honor Roll 1918 — Franklin Township WW I Veterans Memorial
Honor Roll 1918 Dedicated as a lasting tribute to the memory of our men who answered the call of their country in the World War. erected by the citizens of Franklin Township, Clermont County (68 names) US — Map (db m99976) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Georgetown — 7-13 — Utopia
Utopia was founded in 1844 by followers of French philosopher Charles Fourier (1772-1837). Fourierism, based on utopian socialism and the idea of equal sharing of investments in money and labor, reached peak popularity in the United States about . . . — Map (db m99948) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — Burial Site of Two Unknown Soldiers — Slabs Camp — On the Bullskin Trail
Near here are buried two unknown soldiers of General Anthony Wayne's Army who died while at Slabs Camp, at the junction of Highway 131 and 133 in 1793. A memorial service was held by Edenton Willing Workers and Blanchester Daughter's of the American . . . — Map (db m99977) HM WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — Goshen High School Veterans Memorial
In honor of all Goshen Warriors who have served — Map (db m99435) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — 11-13 — Goshen School Building
Side A In 1907, the Goshen School Building, later known as both Goshen Intermediate School and Sheila Green Elementary, was erected. The two-story, buff-colored, pressed-brick building was the first attempt at school consolidation in Goshen . . . — Map (db m99433) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — Honoring Goshen School Building — 1908- 2002
Honoring Goshen School Building 1908- 2002 in tribute of the memories made by generations of Goshen Warriors — Map (db m99434) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — 25th Anniversary — Lower Little Miami Scenic River
25th Anniversary Lower Little Miami Scenic River Designated into the National Wide & Scenic River System January 1980 to protect and enhance the river’s free-flowing character, water quality, & outstandingly remarkable values Little . . . — Map (db m120866) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — Charlie Henry Rich — The Tombstone
Here lies Charlie Henry Rich who dealt “Aces and Eights” to Wild Bill Hickok in the Blackhills of Deadwood South Dakota in No. 10 Saloon August 2, 1876 — Map (db m99468) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — Clermont County Bicentennial Marker — Public Water Works c. 1905
Designed by Cincinnati Music Hall architect, Henry C. Hubbell. Water service was confined to Loveland, but also supplied the large railroad tanks on the B&O and Pennsylvania Railways. Very important in the days of steam locomotives. It was . . . — Map (db m120811) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — 3-13 — Dead Man’s Hand — Aces and 8s Worldwide Legend
Side A Charles Henry Rich, buried in this cemetery, was a close friend of James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok. On August 2, 1876. Hickok was killed while playing poker at the No. 10 Saloon, Deadwood, Dakota Territory. Charlie Rich had just . . . — Map (db m99467) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — Little Miami Railroad — Pioneer Transportation Route
(Clermont County Bicentennial logo) Chartered in 1836, the Little Miami Railroad reached Milford in 1841 and Loveland in 1844. It was the first railroad in Clermont County. John Kugler supplied the ties for much of the 6.15 miles of track in . . . — Map (db m99472) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — The Little Miami Railroad
The Little Miami Railroad was chartered on March 11, 1836, to build a track from Cincinnati to Xenia. In 1844, its rails were laid through the Butterworth farm. The Little Miami was leased and named the Pennsylvania Railroad Co, in 1869. From . . . — Map (db m120863) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — The Ramsey/Paxton Cemetery
Col. Thomas Paxton (1739-1813) served with General George Washington at Valley Forge in 1777 and with General Anthony Wayne at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794. This was the last major fight against the Indians before Ohio became a state in . . . — Map (db m99423) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — White Pillars — Home of Col. Thomas Paxton
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker White Pillars circa 1840 Lt. Col. Thomas Paxton, 1736- 1813, settled this land in 1795 and is buried in the Paxton- Ramsey cemetery. This Greek Revival house was designed by John Ramsey. . . . — Map (db m99424) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Miamiville — 9 — Miamiville — Derailment of the "Kilgour" — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's 2,000 cavalrymen, laden with artillery and wagons, began fording the Little Miami River around 7 am on July 14, 1863. Scouts rode ahead to establish defensive perimeters. About half a mile . . . — Map (db m108242) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Miamiville — 10 — Miamiville — Fighting at the Bridges — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
Early on July 14, 1863, Confederate Colonel Basil Duke's brigade was the first of Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's cavalry to splash across the Little Miami River at Porter's Mill. Duke's initial objective was to capture the . . . — Map (db m108245) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — 1-13 — First Methodist Church — Oldest in the Old Northwest Territory
Founded in 1797 in the log cabin of the Reverend Francis McCormick, the Milford Methodist Church is the oldest of the denomination in the Northwest Territory and Ohio. Pioneer worshipers walked many miles through the wilderness to attend its circuit . . . — Map (db m99541) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Greenlawn Cemetery — circa 1811
Philip Gatch, 1751 – 1834, established the cemetery on his farm when his wife Elizabeth died in 1811. Originally this was a site of a Hopewell Indian mound building culture. In his will, Gatch gave his sons discretion to open the cemetery . . . — Map (db m99618) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Henry Clark Corbin — Memorial Cannon
In grateful remembrance of Henry Clark Corbin Lieutenant General U.S.A. a soldier of Clermont County — Map (db m99620) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Milford Bridge — A Passing Technology — Early 2oth Century Engineering
(artwork) The Milford Bridge was built in 1924 by the Standard Bridge Engineering and Constructing Co. of Toledo, Ohio. The bridge was one of 19 Pennsylvania Through Trusses built in Ohio. It was closed to traffic in 1985 due to structural . . . — Map (db m79004) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Milford GAR Veterans Memorial
erected by S.R.S. West Post No. 544 G.A.R. in memory of the soldiers of Miami Township 1909 — Map (db m99619) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Promont
Using exquisite materials from Europe and fine craftsmanship from the area, the house was built by William McGrue in 1865. It is an Italianate style mansion with a tower. The 43rd Governor of Ohio, John Pattison, resided here from 1879 until . . . — Map (db m99595) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — The Leming House
Miami Township, established 1801, was one of five original townships in Clermont County. Among early settlers in Miami Township were the Leming family of New Jersey. In 1806, four Leming brothers—Ezekiel, John, Gabriel, and . . . — Map (db m99542) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Neville — Neville – 1812 — Clermont County — Bicentennial Marker
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Neville – 1812 The town is situated in the first survey, No, 388, made in the Virginia Military District of Ohio. Nov. 13, 1787, John Obannon surveyed a tract of 1,400 acres for Col. John . . . — Map (db m99890) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Neville — Neville Veterans Memorial
Side A 1917 (eagle) 1918 Honor Roll (28 names) 2 killed in action

Side B 1941 (eagle) 1945 Honor Roll (48 names) one killed in action — Map (db m99889) WM

Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Capt. Ernest Wagner Park
Capt. Ernest Wagner Park dedicated July 27, 1980 Captain Wagner commanded excursion passenger steamboats Island Queen, Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen and Avalon on the Ohio and Mississippi River Systems Cap knew every bend, sandbar and . . . — Map (db m99767) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Founding of New Richmond
Jacob Light (1756 – 1831) platted the Village of New Richmond in 1814 on 85 acres he had bought in 1804. His village streets ran at right angles to the Ohio River.

Thomas Ashburn (1769 – 1826) bought 875 acres from William . . . — Map (db m99717) HM

Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Franklin Chapel — Clermont County — Bicentennial Marker
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Franklin Chapel This Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1854 under the direction of Rev. J.L. Holtzinger at a cost of $1,665. The belfry and church bell were added in Dec.1884. — Map (db m99886) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 9-13 — Henry Clark Corbin / Colclazer Run
Henry Clark Corbin Henry Clark Corbin was born September 15, 1842 and reared here on the family farm along Colclazer Run near Laurel. He attended public school and the private Parker Academy in nearby Clermontville. After teaching school and . . . — Map (db m99622) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 8-13 — Mt. Zion Chapel / Mt. Zion Cemetery - Lafayette School
Mt. Zion Chapel The Mount Zion Chapel of the Christian Church was built in 1872 on this hill adjacent to the members' cemetery outside of Clermontville. The site was part of a two-acre parcel that had been secured from the farm of William R. . . . — Map (db m99887) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 6-13 — New Richmond
Prior to the Civil War, New Richmond citizens participated actively in the abolitionist movement and the Underground Railroad. In 1836, James G. Birney published The Philanthropist, an abolitionist newspaper, in New Richmond before moving . . . — Map (db m99708) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — New Richmond Pearl Harbor Memorial
(logo- USS Arizona) This stone is erected in honor of the brave members of the armed forces who died defending this country from the treacherous attack on Pearl Harbor on Sunday morning December 7, 1941 ‘Greater love hath no man than . . . — Map (db m99765) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — New Richmond VFW Veterans Memorial
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States in memory of all men who fought for their country — Map (db m99718) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — New Richmond WW I Memorial — On the Ohio River
Affectionately inscribed to the heroic boys of New Richmond as a tribute to the self-sacrificing spirit that they displayed in their country’s service in the momentous years of 1917- 1918

(157 names) Red Cross Nurses (two names) — Map (db m99719) WM

Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Spann
An early crossroads settlement instrumental in the development of Pierce Township. Located at Dutch Creek and Ten Mile Road. The hamlet consisted of a community water well, a general store / post office (1860) and the Ten Mile Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m99698) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — The United States Merchant Marine
In recognition of those who serve their country in war and peace time to those 250,000 who served in World War II to those 670 who were taken prisoner to those 6700 plus who gave their lives and to the countless number who served since this . . . — Map (db m99764) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Thomas Ashburn — Founder of Susanna
In memory of Thomas Ashburn born – Bolton, England, July 11, 1769 died – New Richmond, Feb. 15, 1828 founder of Susanna in 1816 and donor of this riverside promenade and other parks and, sites to be used, forever, for worship, . . . — Map (db m99766) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Ulysses Simpson Grant
Ulysses Simpson Grant General in the United States Army and twice elected President of the United States was born on April 27, 1822 in a house on this spot — Map (db m99888) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Underground Railroad Site — Clermont Freedom Trail — New Richmond Waterfront
In 1862 slave catchers paraded a captured Leroy Lee in manacles down Front Street toward the river. A crowd of New Richmond citizens confronted the armed captors demanding the release of Lee. Seeing they were greatly outnumbered, the slave . . . — Map (db m99706) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Underground Railroad Site — Clermont Freedom Trail — Ross – Gowdy House Museum
Built circa 1850, the Ross-Gowdy House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Through the years it has served as the home of three New Richmond mayors. Merchant Thomas Gowdy lived in this house in 1876. The home was acquired by . . . — Map (db m99720) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Owensville — Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Stonelick Covered Bridge
Built in 1878. It is 140' long supported by a 12 panel Howe Truss. Howe patented this truss (crossed wooden members with vertical iron rods) in 1840. Last covered bridge in Clermont County. Placed on National Register of Historical Places 1974. — Map (db m86889) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Owensville — Owensville Village Hall
The Owensville Village Hall was built as a Methodist Episcopal in 1859 and later housed a Church of Christ. The village purchased the building in 1988 and utilizes it as village hall. On July 14, 1863, Confederate States General John Hunt Morgan’s . . . — Map (db m95616) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — Grant Birthplace — 1st President born in a "mobile home"
Point Pleasant was a tiny huddle of cabins in what was considered the raw Western frontier in 1822. Grant's family lived here until he was about a year old and then moved to Georgetown, Ohio. Neither Grant nor his family would have imagined his . . . — Map (db m45032) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — 4-13 — Grant Memorial Bridge
The cast iron nameplate mounted on the walkway is one of two that were formerly located on the original Grant Memorial Bridge. The original steel truss structure was constructed from 1925-1927 by the Brookville Construction Company, Brookville, . . . — Map (db m44952) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — 5-13 — U. S. Grant Birthplace
Hiriam Ulysses Grant was born in this one-story, timber frame home on April 27, 1822 to Jesse and Hannah Simpson Grant. The Grants settled in Point Pleasant the previous year, and Jesse took charge of the tannery located near the cottage. Now . . . — Map (db m44829) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — U.S. Grant Historic District
U.S. Grant and U.S. Grant Comme[mo]rative Sites Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places 6 August 1998. The historic district includes: President U.S. Grant Birthplace-1820-1821 Grant Birthplace Memorial . . . — Map (db m44918) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — Ulysses Grant — Hometown hero and celebrity
Hiram Ulysses Grant, as he was originally named, was born on April 27, 1822. Not long after his birth, the family moved to Georgetown, Ohio. Grant later attended the military academy at West Point, where his name was changed to Ulysses S. Grant due . . . — Map (db m44949) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — Ulysses Simpson Grant
Here in this little hamlet Ulysses Simpson Grant was born on April 27, 1822. He was the victorious commander of the Union forces in the final stages of the war of the rebellion and President of the United States March 4, 1869, to March 4, 1877. . . . — Map (db m45030) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 30 — Charles B. Huber Farm — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108587) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 27 — Charles B. Huber Home Site — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108591) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Dairy House at Harmony Hill
Built 1800- 1802 at the homestead of Maj. General William Lytle by John Charles stone mason The restoration of Harmony Hill Dairy House is dedicated to the memory of the “Father of Clermont County”, Major General William . . . — Map (db m95612) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 28 — Dr. L.T. Pease Home Site — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108590) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Grassy Run Battlefield
In these fields on the southwest side of the east Fork of the Little Miami River, opposite the mouth of Grassy Run, was fought the Battle of Grassy Run April 10, 1792. Simon Kenton led a group of frontiersmen from Limestone (Maysville), KY . . . — Map (db m95461) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Hartman Log Cabin
Dedicated to Christopher Hartman who emigrated from Germany in 1753 fought in the American Revolution and settled in Clermont County in 1801; to his grandson John Kirby Hartman, who purchased this site in 1838; and to their relatives and . . . — Map (db m99999) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — In Recognition of 200 Years of Freedom and Dedication — Williamsburg, Ohio Bicentennial — 1796-1996
This monument is dedicated to the pioneers who early in the year 1796 braved many dangers and suffered numerous hardships in order to establish the small settlement of Lytlestown, later to be named Williamsburgh, along the banks of the East Fork of . . . — Map (db m108602) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Last Indian Battle
Last Indian Battle fought March 16, 1792 on the south bank of East Fork Creek near the mouth of Grassy Run Clermont County Tecumseh Shawnee Chjef, known as “Blazing Star”, and Simon Kenton, a scout, were engaged in a sharp . . . — Map (db m95462) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 26 — Marcus Sims - Huber Tannery Location — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108589) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Stepping Stone — Pioneer Artifact at Historic Site
This is the stepping stone from Revolutionary War veteran Adam Fisher’s log cabin. After the war he and his family came to Kentucky and then about 1799 moved across the Ohio River to settle between Little Indian Creek and what is now route 743 . . . — Map (db m95614) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — The Town Square — Clermont County Bicentennial
In 1796, William Lytle set aside over five acres for public buildings. In 1803 Williamsburg became the first county seat and in 1809 the first county courthouse was built here by John Charles. A jail was built in 1811 and in 1812- 13 a two room . . . — Map (db m95579) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 11 — Williamsburg — Morgan's First Ohio Campsite — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
About 4 pm on July 14, 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his raiders stopped in Williamsburg to establish their first campsite in Ohio. Approximately 2,000 cavalrymen remained in the rebel force. Many of the officers . . . — Map (db m108248) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 29 — Williamsburg Township Cemetery — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108588) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Williamsburg Veterans Memorial
In loving memory and appreciation of those loyal men and women of Williamsburg, who served their country well in peace and war.

We honor forever with this monument those heroes stalwart and brave, who so fearlessly left their families . . . — Map (db m95615) WM

Ohio (Clermont County), Wlliamsburg — Harmony Hill 1800 — Home of Major General William Lytle
Homestead of Major General William Lytle, known as the “Father of Clermont County” for his many contributions to the formation and settlement of the county. A surveyor by profession, Lytle surveyed and acquired many acres of land in . . . — Map (db m95611) HM

76 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.