June 2, 1864. The rt. of Johnston’s Dallas - New Hope line -- a short distance E. of road, was held by Bate’s Div. of Hardee’s Corps [CS] after being pressed back by Fed. 23d A. C. June 3. Walker’s Div. of Hardee, prolonged Bate’s line N. E., . . . — — Map (db m17015) HM
June 2-4, 1864. Hood’s A.C. was posted 1 mi. W. & Hardee’s A. C. was aligned along Dallas - Acworth rd., N. 1.5 mi to Burnt Hickory rd. - Confederate center & rt. These corps withdrew, along with rest of Johnston’s forces [CS], when the Federal 23d . . . — — Map (db m17016) HM
On June 2, 1864 pressure on right of Johnston’s line [CS] by 23rd A. C. [US] forced the rt. of Hardee’s Corps [CS] E. of the Dallas - Acworth road, enabling Schofield [US] to gain a position near the Foster House. Failing to get promised support . . . — — Map (db m17003) HM
Dr. James Peters built his family’s homestead here. The original house was a very early version of a two-room frame structure with two doors and two chimneys. Outbuildings included a barn, well, privy, and summer kitchen. The original rooms had 10" . . . — — Map (db m30655) HM
June 4, 1864. Ireland’s (3d) Brigade, Geary’s (2d) Div., 20th A.C., [US] seized, repaired & held Mason’s Bridge, which had been wrecked by Confederate forces retreating eastward.
June 6. The Army of the Cumberland, [US] commanded by Maj. Gen. . . . — — Map (db m60588) HM
Extreme left of Federal line on the Dallas - New Hope front where Johnston’s & Sherman’s forces had been in daily conflict since May 25, 1864. June 3. Hovey’s (1st) Div., 23d A. C. [US] drove Armstrong’s cavalry [CS] from the road, thereby . . . — — Map (db m30259) HM
Hardee’s Corps [CS] marched by this road to points S. of New Hope Ch., from Stegall's Station (Emerson) May 23, 24, 1864. Hood’s Corps [CS] followed Hardee’s, May 24, 25, from Etowah River (at R. R. Bridge), reaching New Hope Ch. in time to check . . . — — Map (db m20572) HM
Israel Causey was one of the original pioneer settlers when he moved to Cobb County in 1833. The house, built during the gold rush era, is an example of a frame plain-style dwelling. At one time, his plantation contained more than 1,000 acres with . . . — — Map (db m33332) HM
The surrounding land was once part of Sweet Water Town. Named for a Native American who lived in the area, this Cherokee Village was a trading center that was significant enough to have been referenced on maps as late as 1864. A series of land . . . — — Map (db m33422) HM
Clarkdale is significant as an intact industrial village, locally called a mill village. Built according to a master plan for the employees of Clark Thread Company, it evolved into a self-contained community with commercial, social and recreational . . . — — Map (db m33466) HM
The Clarkdale Thread Mill and its 96 bungalow style homes were designed by the J. E. Sirrine Company of Greenville, South Carolina, a company noted for progressive mill village planning, for the Clark Thread Company, a Scottish company with . . . — — Map (db m55279) HM
In 1931 Clark Thread Company opened a spinning mill here, giving the local economy a boost during the Great Depression with the creation of approximately 650 new jobs. Baled cotton was spun into unfinished thread that was then shipped to a finishing . . . — — Map (db m33467) HM
Union Attackers failed to split the Confederate army here.
On the morning of June 27, 1864, three brigades totaling 5,500 soldiers from Ohio, Indiana and Illinois charged toward Pigeon Hill. Advancing in battle lines astride Burnt . . . — — Map (db m87423) HM
Sherman aimed for the South's manufacturing and railroad hub.
Union Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman had two objectives during his Georgia campaign of 1864; defeat the Confederate army, and damage the South's war arsenals. By capturing . . . — — Map (db m81331) HM
June 15-17, 1864 U.S.: Maj. Gen. Daniel Butterfield. 3rd Div. 20th Corps. Army of the Cumberland. C.S.: Maj. Gen. Patrick R Cleburne. Cleburne’s Div. Hood’s Corps. Army of Tennessee. — — Map (db m62495) HM
In 1838 - 41, a construction camp of laborers, grading & building the State R.R., was located at the spring approximately 250 yds. W. of here, where temporary structures (shanties) housed the workmen.
Track level here, being some 345 ft. above . . . — — Map (db m30043) HM
To the east were the parade grounds and tents of Camp McDonald, established by Governor Joseph E. Brown, June 1861, to train citizens for the defense of the Confederacy. Here Phillips Legion, and other Georgia units trained, then rendered valiant . . . — — Map (db m23099) HM
Nineteenth-century farmer Ruben Latimer lived a mile southwest of this spot. He, his wife Sarah, their children and eleven slaves worked a modest self-sufficient farm where they raised livestock and grew cotton, corn and other food crops. In June . . . — — Map (db m17039) HM
Nineteenth-century farmer Ruben Latimer lived a mile southwest of this spot. He, his wife Sarah, their children and eleven slaves worked a modest self-sufficient farm where they raised livestock and grew cotton, corn and other food crops. In June . . . — — Map (db m17040) HM
This National Battlefield Park commemorates the Civil War battle fought here and the 1864 Atlanta Campaign.
June 27, 1864, dawned hot and muggy. Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman’s 100,000-man Union army faced Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s 65,000 . . . — — Map (db m70062) HM
Confederate defenders here defeated the main Union assault.
On June 27, 1864, more than 8,000 Union infantrymen attacked an equal number of well-entrenched Confederates along this low-lying hill. One Tennessee veteran compared the . . . — — Map (db m87390) HM
Site of Gilgal Primitive Baptist Church, a log structure and prominent landmark during military operations, June 5-17, 1864, in which church was destroyed. Cleburne’s Div., Confederate, was posted at the ch., the left of Johnston’s line [CS] after . . . — — Map (db m17680) HM
On June 19, Capt. Charles L. Lumsden's Alabama battery on Big Kennesaw Mountain hit a railroad water tower, "scattering both water and nearby Yankees" — lucky shooting for smoothbore Napoleon cannon. But after the Confederates fired at the 1st . . . — — Map (db m81564) HM
H’dq’rs of Brig. Gen. Absalom Baird, commanding 3d Div., 14th A. C., Army of the Cumberland, [US] June 6-10, 1864. Baird’s, together with 1st and 2d divisions, were camped along Proctor’s Cr., E. - a part of the concerted drive on Johnston’s . . . — — Map (db m17423) HM
June 19, 1864. Maj. Gen. John A Logan’s 15th A. C. * was deployed astride this, the old Marietta road; Smith’s 2d div., N. E. of it; Osterhaus’ 1st, S. W.; Harrow's 4th, in reserve. This was the 2d & final sector held by Sherman’s left wing on the . . . — — Map (db m80729) HM
South 1861. 1865. In Memory Of Lieut. Gen. Leonidas Polk Who fell on this spot June 14, 1864. Folding his arms across his breast, He stood gazing on the scenes below, Turning himself around as if To take a farewell view. Thus standing a cannon . . . — — Map (db m30827) HM
Dedicated June 27, 1914
“Erected To the memory of the Illinois Soldiers who died on the battlefield of Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia, June 27th, 1864.
On this field the men of Col. . . . — — Map (db m87420) HM WM
Illinois veterans erected this memorial 50 years after the battle.
The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain on July 27, 1864, caused the Union Army estimated 3,000 killed, wounded, or missing soldiers. The Confederates suffered fewer than 1,000 . . . — — Map (db m87418) HM
The Indians knew this trail as the route from the heart of the Cherokee Nation to Standing Peachtree, Creek village that grew into a trading post and fort just south of the Chattahoochee. Pioneers who used Montgomery’s Ferry at Standing Peachtree . . . — — Map (db m11482) HM
June 10, 1864. The 4th A. C. moved from Mars Hill Ch. to position along this road facing S. toward Pine Mtn.-- highest point between Lost & Kennesaw Mtns. The 14th A. C. was on the left; the 20th on the right. PIne Mtn. was fortified and held as an . . . — — Map (db m17694) HM
May 23d, 1864, Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk’s Corps, [CS] marching S. from Allatoona, camped at night in this vicinity enroute to Dallas in Paulding County via Lost Mountain.
This was the left wing of Johnston’s army [CS] which had crossed the Etowah . . . — — Map (db m30710) HM
A wood-shed, water-tank, siding & log house. Here, April 12, 1862, the pursuers of the Andrews Raiders [US] - Fuller, Cain & Murphy [CS], acquired a
push-car from section foreman Jackson Bond, which carried them 14 mi. down grade to the Etowah . . . — — Map (db m14333) HM
From this vicinity was launched the 1st attacks by Sherman’s forces [US] on Johnston’s Kennesaw lines [CS], after withdrawal of both armies from Paulding County.
June 6, 1864. 20th A. C. [US] occupied E-W line on Stilesboro rd. (facing S.,) . . . — — Map (db m30741) HM
Ante-bellum res. of Thomas F. Summers (1812 - 1883), a land-mark of the advance of the left wing of Federal forces upon Confederate positions on & near Kennesaw Mtn. -- June 1864. June 9. Garrard’s cav. [US] (dismounted), forced withdrawal of . . . — — Map (db m23103) HM
About 6 A.M., April 12, 1862, a Federal spy & contraband merchant, James J. Andrews, of Ky., together with 18 soldiers & one civilian of Ohio, seized the locomotive "General", & three box cars while the train-crew & passengers were breakfasting at . . . — — Map (db m5172) HM
Beaten federals entrenched within 30 yards to the Confederate earthworks.
As the Union attack stalled, two surviving Federal colonels hastily discussed retreat. Realizing that withdrawal under heavy fire would invite more bloodshed, they . . . — — Map (db m87417) HM
Sherman marched south to fight the Confederate army and seize its supply center.
In May 1864, Union Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman led his 100,000-man army from Chattanooga, Tennessee, into Georgia. Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's 65,000 troops . . . — — Map (db m81258) HM
This bend in the Confederate line became the battle's focal point.
At 9 a.m. on June 27, 1864, thousands of yelling, blue-clad soldiers charged across the distant field toward the Tennessee soldiers in these earthworks. As the federals . . . — — Map (db m87415) HM
This is the original locomotive made famous by its participation in the Andrews Raid of April 12, 1862.
It was stolen by the Northern raiders who tried unsuccessfully to wreck the Confederate supply line between Atlanta, Ga., and Chattanooga, . . . — — Map (db m47591) HM
For those who have honorably served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness have been preserved.
Dedicated May 15, 1991
Kennesaw, GA — — Map (db m66206) WM
To The Memory of William A. Fuller 1836-1905 Captain Independent State Troops of Georgia, C.S.A.
As conductor on the state - owned Western & Atlantic R.R. he led the pursuing party that, after a 90-mile chase -- in which three locomotives . . . — — Map (db m5175) HM
This Tablet marks the spot at which the
LOCOMOTIVE "GENERAL" was captured by Andrews Raiders morning of April 12th, 1862
Capt. Jas.J. Andrews , with twenty volunteers from Sill's Brigade, Mitchell's Corps, U.S.A. and a citizen of Kentucky, . . . — — Map (db m20231) HM
After the wide flanking movement W. & S. of Allatoona Mtns., Sherman's forces [US] regained the State R. R., at Acworth, June 6, 1864.June 9. Minty's & Wilder's brigades, Garrard's Cav., with Bennett's section, Chicago Board of Trade Battery, [US] . . . — — Map (db m5235) HM
Eastward across R. R. stood the 2-story frame hotel, leased by George M. Lacy in 1859 -- an eating house for passengers on the State-owned railway until June 9, 1864, at which time the Federal forces occupied Big Shanty.
April 12, 1862, the Andrews . . . — — Map (db m5215) HM
During the march of Lt. Gen. Hood's army N. from Palmetto, Stewart's A. C., & Armstrong's
cav. [CS] were sent from Lost Mtn., Oct. 3, 1864 to destroy the State R. R. at Big Shanty.
Featherston's brigade, Loring's div., [CS] captured the Federal . . . — — Map (db m5217) HM
May 7- 100,000 Federal Troops
under Sherman start south from
Chattanooga. Joseph E. Johnson
with 50,000 Confederates oppose
them.Sherman uses flanking
movements more than battles to
push Confederates back.
June 19 - . . . — — Map (db m15401) HM
Extension of the Federal right flank
threatened to cut off the Confederates
from Atlanta, and this caused them to
retire toward Atlanta July 2, 1864.
Sherman, following closely, decided
not to assult the city, but to cut all
roads and . . . — — Map (db m15461) HM
As Sherman approached the Kennesaw
line, Hood's Corps struck his right on
June 22 at Kolb Farm. The Federals,
warned, repulsed Hood with a loss of
1,000 men. Sherman decided to assult
and cut the Southern center at Cheatham
Hill and Little . . . — — Map (db m15475) HM
In May, 1864 Sherman with 100,000 men
drove into north Georgia hoping to
destroy Johnston's army of 50,000 and
lay waste vital railroads and factories.
Sherman attacked at Dalton, Resaca,
Cassville and New Hope Church. These
attacks were . . . — — Map (db m15465) HM
June 27, 1864. While 8 Federal brigades at Kennesaw Mtn. & at Cheatham Hill, made futile attempts to break Johnston’s line [CS], Schofield's 23d A. C. [US] moved S. from Powder Springs road. This flanking move was opposed by Hood’s A. C., (extended . . . — — Map (db m29416) HM
July 4, 1864. Maj. Gen. F. P. Blair’s 17th A. C. of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee & Stoneman’s cavalry [US], moved from Sandtown rd. E. on this, the old Turner’s Ferry rd. to outflank Johnston’s Smyrna – Ruff’s Mill line [CS]. . . . — — Map (db m16806) HM
July 5, 1864. Gresham’s 4th div., on this rd. and Leggett’s 3d (17th A. C.), with Stoneman’s cav. [US] on Howell’s Fy. Rd. S. of it, drove the Ga. Militia and Ross’ cav. E. across Nickajack Cr. where they occupied the left of Johnston’s River Line. . . . — — Map (db m17418) HM
Gen. Gustavus W. Smith’s Georgia Militia & Gen. L. S. Ross’ cav., driven E. to this point from Sandtown rd. (at Mableton), July 4, 1864, was again assailed by the 17th A. C. [US] July 5. Gresham’s 4th div., astride the road, together with Leggett’s . . . — — Map (db m17022) HM
July, 1864, a heavy, intrenched line of field works, from the mouth of Nickajack Cr. (.8 mi. S. W.) extended N. E. to a point 1 mi. above State R. R. bridge. This line, prepared in advance, was occupied by Johnston’s forces [CS] when they withdrew . . . — — Map (db m29472) HM
The stalemate on the Kennesaw Mtn. front was broken when the rt. wing of Sherman’s forces was extended S. on the old Sandtown road to this point. This eventuated July 1, 1864, when Brig. Gen. Milo S. Hascall’s (2d) div., 23d A. C. [US] moved to . . . — — Map (db m16803) HM
July 3, 1864. Concurrent with Johnston’s evacuation of his Kennesaw Mtn. line [CS], McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. [US] was shifted to the rt. of Sherman’s forces & via Sandtown rd. reached this vicinity -- joining Hascall’s div., 23d A.C. These . . . — — Map (db m16798) HM
Ante-bellum res. of Robert Mable (1803-1885). July 3, 1864, Maj. Gen. F.P. Blair's 17th A.C., of McPherson's Army of the Tenn. [US], having marched from Kennesaw Mtn., via Sandtown rd., reached Moss' house (near Floyd Station), 1.2 mi. N. 2 P.M. . . . — — Map (db m12054) HM
Schofield's 23d A. C. [US] marked time in this vicinity while McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. [US] made demonstrations at Chattahoochee ferries below Johnston’s River Line [CS] -- indicating, falsely, that crossings would be made there while actual . . . — — Map (db m29694) HM
Cited in Official Records of the Atlanta Campaign, 1864, as the “Widow Mitchell” house. A key position of the Federal right wing in military operations on the Sandtown rd. during the retreat of Johnston’s forces S. from Kennesaw to the . . . — — Map (db m29742) HM
During the 5 days when Army of the Tennessee headquarters were here, the troops of the 15th & 17th A. C. [US] were posted on a ridge just W. of Nickajack Creek, facing the left of Johnston’s River Line. (July 5-9, 1864).
16th A. C. [US] . . . — — Map (db m29747) HM
This, the old Sandtown Road was the route of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee [US], south to the Mitchell house, July 5, 1864. From Mitchell’s, an old road ran east to the Chattahoochee River at Turner’s Ferry, most of its course being U.S. . . . — — Map (db m16892) HM
June 19, 1864. Johnston’s Army of Tennessee [CS] withdrew to its Kennesaw line -- Polk’s A. C. (under Loring), posted on the mountain; Hardee’s, extending S. from Loring’s left, prolonged the line beyond Cheatham Hill; Hood’s corps on Loring’s . . . — — Map (db m30280) HM
When the 23d A.C. [US] crossed the Chattahoochee at Soap Creek, above the State R. R., July 8, 1864, Johnston’s River Line [CS] (Oakdale Rd.) was evacuated to the Fulton County side, July 9. There being no further need of McPherson’s Army of the . . . — — Map (db m19696) HM
Built by Glover Machine Works of Marietta, this 1916 locomotive was sold to a company in Va. for hauling lumber. In 1921 GMW reassumed possession. It was restored in 1992. Today GMW is in its sixth generation and still makes heavy industrial . . . — — Map (db m13077) HM
July 6, 1864. Schofield’s Federal 23d A.C. having been shifted N.E. from Sandtown Rd. (at Floyd Station), camped at Smyrna. Resuming the march, July 7, it traversed only 2 mi. (to this point) where it camped. July 8, 4 A.M. the march continued to . . . — — Map (db m52301) HM
After each Union assault on June 27, hundreds of casualties were left between the lines. By afternoon, wounded Union soldiers lying helpless near here faced a new danger; flames, started by the battle’s gunfire, crept steadily toward them.
Lt. . . . — — Map (db m70077) HM
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — — Map (db m120096) HM WM
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — — Map (db m114679) HM WM
Alexander Stephens Clay Citizen, lawyer, statesman, Born on a Cobb County farm Sept. 25, 1853; Died a member of the United States Senate Nov. 13, 1910. His life was largely given to the service of his people - as Councilman of his home city. . . . — — Map (db m120224) HM
The 3 brigades of Williams’ (1st) Div., 20th A. C., [US] were posted on the high ground W. of the road between this point and the Powder Springs Road.
Geary’s (2d) Div. [US] right joined Williams at the ravine West of the Greer house, his . . . — — Map (db m29710) HM
Hascall’s (2d) Div. 23d A.C., Union, via Manning’s Mill, reached Kolb’s schoolhouse (site of Mt. Zion Ch.) 2 p.m. & joined its left to right of Williams' (1st) Div., 20th A.C. [US] at the McAdoo - Oatman house on Powder Springs Rd. Hascall placed . . . — — Map (db m16871) HM
The extension of the right wing of Federal forces S. of the Dallas Rd. threatening to outflank him, Johnston sent Hood’s Corps [CS] from the right (E. of Kennesaw) to this, the extreme left, with directions to stop further Federal advances. Hood . . . — — Map (db m17158) HM
The 14th Kentucky (2d Division, 23d A.C.,) together with the 123d N. Y. (1st Division, 20th A.C.,) [US] were posted as skirmishers East of the Kolb farmstead.
The stubborn resistance by the 14th Ky., and the 123d N.Y., disrupted the concerted . . . — — Map (db m19573) HM
A costly Confederate attack here stopped the Union army's attempt to bypass Kennesaw Mountain. On June 22, 1864, Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston sent Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood's 13,000 troops down Powder Springs Road to stop the Federal . . . — — Map (db m17280) HM
On June 15, 1864, General Sherman ordered an attack on a portion of the Confederate fortified line located between Gilgal Church and a hill one mile eastward known as "Pine Knob". Three divisions of the 20th Army Corps were to break through an . . . — — Map (db m11765) HM
A plan to help lift rural Cobb County out of the Great Depression by building a commercial airport changed course when America entered WWII and Marietta was chosen as the location for a new aircraft assembly plant. Wartime necessity had rival . . . — — Map (db m33703) HM
June 19, 1864. McPherson’s army of the Tenn., left wing of Sherman’s army, moved into this sector – the rugged terrain of Brushy mtn. – on the Kennesaw Mountain front.
The 17th A.C. & Garrard’s Cav. Were N.E. of this point; 15th & 16th, . . . — — Map (db m50199) HM
Tennessee cannoneers positioned two 12-pounder howitzers within this redoubt. Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Cheatham ordered these artillery crews to camouflage the earthen mounds with cut underbrush and to hold their fire unless attacked. For the next . . . — — Map (db m70085) HM
Acting chief of artillery for the 1st Division (4th Army Corps), Simonson on June 16, 1864 was busy entrenching here a 4-gun battery of artillery when he was killed by a Confederate bullet. The Confederate was perhaps a sharpshooter armed with an . . . — — Map (db m11338) HM
The intrenched line of the Confederate Army of Tenn., as of June 19-July 3, 1864, crossed the road here. This sector was held by Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee's A.C. -- the right of his line at Kennesaw Mtn., the left, from 1 to 2 miles southward of this . . . — — Map (db m5239) HM
The Native Americans bent saplings to grow into living “signposts” for traveling Indians. These living markers pointed the way to a water source, a suitable river crossing or a main trail. — — Map (db m50200) HM
In 1803, Georgia established a lottery as the fairest means of distributing land to common farmers. After gold was discovered in 1828 near Dahlonega, the state ignored federal treaties and asserted its claims on the Cherokee territory (including . . . — — Map (db m9154) HM
In 1808–1809, the Cherokee nation divided when some of its members decided to move west of the Mississippi River to pursue a hunter lifestyle where game was plentiful rather than live the more settled lifestyle prevalent in the east. A portion . . . — — Map (db m68042) HM
Sara Freeman Clarke established the first public library in Marietta and Cobb County in 1882 when she allowed residents to borrow books from her home without charge. She named it the “Franklin Lending Library”.
The next year, a group . . . — — Map (db m60577) HM
Created December 3, 1832, and named for Judge Thomas W. Cobb, a former U.S. Senator, Marietta was named for his wife.
Fertile lands gave impetus to farming; ample water power encouraged industries. People from further south sought Marietta as . . . — — Map (db m1660) HM
3,000 Confederate dead from every southern state are buried in this cemetery. First established for [CS] soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead from nearby battlefields. In 1866, under the direction of . . . — — Map (db m17007) HM
Burial of Confederates killed in a railroad collision, September, 1863, on land given by Mrs. Jane Glover, established this cemetery. Later more land was given by Ann Moyer and others, and the [CS] dead here from Marietta hospitals and the Kennesaw . . . — — Map (db m29816) HM
The old Marietta Rd. joined the Sandtown Rd. here -- 1864. June 17-19. Geary’s (2d) Div., 20th A.C., supporting 13th N.Y. & Pa. E batteries, were N. of rd. & Cox’s (3d) Div. 23d. A.C., supporting 1st Ohio Bat. D. [US] were S. of rd. -- in area from . . . — — Map (db m17686) HM
Site of home of Rev. Gary Davis (1799-1875).
In June 1864, was an outpost of right wing of Sherman´s forces [US], moving from New Hope Church in Paulding Co. toward the State R.R. and the [CS] left
flank. Hardee´s Corps [CS] , on the left, . . . — — Map (db m14407) HM
The 23d A.C. [US] seized a position at Moss’ house (at Floyd Station), lower Sandtown Rd., July 1 -- nearer Chattahoochee River than Johnston’s Kennesaw line [CS], whereupon he withdrew his army, via Marietta, to his Smyrna - Ruff’s Mill line, 6 mi. . . . — — Map (db m16851) HM
One-half mi. S., at the road - fork, is SIGNAL HILL, where Sherman observed the assault on Cheatham Hill by troops of the 4th & 14th Corps [US], June 27.
The John Ward Road -- left turn at the fork -- leads to Thomas’ Headquarters, June 27, & . . . — — Map (db m29755) HM
Confederate engineers and work crews started digging earthworks around Kennesaw Mountain a few days before their army fell back to this position on June 19. For the next week Southern soldiers improved their earthwork defenses despite constant rain. . . . — — Map (db m70086) HM
June 27, 1864. At 8 A.M., five brigades assaulted the Confederates of Hardee’s Corps, posted on the wooded ridge across the valley eastward. From left to right there were: Kimball’s, Wagner’s & Harker’s brigades, Newton’s div. 4th A. C.; McCook’s & . . . — — Map (db m30010) HM
Oldest grave is on this plot for Wm. Harris´ son, William Capers G. Harris (1823-1831). Mr. Harris, a wealthy planter, was a devout Methodist and champion of education. In War of 1812 he served in Capt. Jett Thomas´ Co., 2nd, Regt., Ga. Militia. He . . . — — Map (db m15202) HM
John D. Gantt came to Cobb County in the 1850s with his parents and siblings, and married in 1858. Although the family's farm was destroyed during the Civil War, they rebuilt and continued to acquire land. Years later, the family built this house, . . . — — Map (db m11321) HM
300 ft. W. stood the res. of Wm. Johnston who operated the ferry in the 1850's, where Johnston's Fy. Rd. crosses the Chattahoochee River.
July 5, 1864. Gen. Kenner Garrard's cav. div. [US] enroute from Marietta to Roswell via this rd., camped on . . . — — Map (db m19184) HM
With the occupation of Marietta by Federal forces July 3, 1864, Garrard’s cav. was sent to Roswell to secure a Chattahoochee River crossing for the passage of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee, which was later shifted from the Federal right to the . . . — — Map (db m50567) HM
In field west of rd., where right of 14th joined left of 20th corps [US]. From this point, June 27, Gen. Thomas [US] directed the assault of 5 brigades of 4th and 14th Corps, against Hardee’s Corps [CS] posted on Cheatham's Hill, E., across valley . . . — — Map (db m17179) HM
Cyrus York house-site; June 10-19, 1864. Johnston’s forces [CS] moved from Paulding Co. to Kennesaw area, June 5, & occupied lines from Lost to Brushy Mtns. June 16: the left was withdrawn E. of Mud Creek. June 19: all forces shifted to mountain . . . — — Map (db m17650) HM
Following the withdrawal of Johnston’s forces, from the Mud Creek ~ Brushy Mtn. line, June 19, to the final one, which included Kennesaw Mtn., Howard’s 4th A. C. [US] moved E. from Hardee’s salient [CS].
Astride this, the Burnt Hickory rd., the . . . — — Map (db m33449) HM
After withdrawing his corps from Lost Mtn. June 9, Polk’s H’dq’rs. [CS] were at the John Kirk house 1 mi. W. on this rd. June 10, h’dq’rs. were moved to Hardage house. Sun. June 12. The Bishop-General read the church service (Episcopal) for his . . . — — Map (db m17665) HM
Opened in 1851 on a 110-acre campus, the Institute had a 4-year curriculum modeled after West Point. The cadet lifestyle was strict. Students attended classes all day followed by an hour-long drill, dress parades at sunset and evenings spent . . . — — Map (db m33698) HM
June 16, 1864. From this point as a pivot, the Confederate line W. to Gilgal Church & Lost Mtn. was swung back to a N. & S. line E. of Mud Creek, thereby making a salient angle -- Hardee's A. C. on the left or S; Polk's & Hood's Corps on the right, . . . — — Map (db m11481) HM
Already a well-established route in the 1700s, the Hightower Trail was a major Indian thoroughfare and part of a network of trails connecting Augusta with the Etowah River area and Alabama. The path crossed the Chattahoochee River at a shallow ford . . . — — Map (db m33432) HM
Facing demolition, this house was relocated here in 2005 from its original site on the battlefield at Gilgal Church in west Cobb County. On 1864 military maps, it was referred to as the “Dixon House”. The house was damaged by artillery . . . — — Map (db m33426) HM
This artillery redoubt protected part of Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne’s Confederate division. From here Southern trenches zigzagged to the left and right for miles, with cannon batteries placed at key positions. These defense lines could produce a . . . — — Map (db m70066) HM
A point on the intrenched line of Loring’s (formerly Polk’s) A.C., [CS] which extended from the mtn. down its E. slope to the Bell’s Ferry rd. This sector was held by Featherston's div. -- the rt. of the corps. Hood’s A.C. [CS] prolonged the line E. . . . — — Map (db m20571) HM
A four-time Gov. of Ga, Joseph E. Brown (1821-1894) was born in S.C., educated at Yale, and admitted to the Ga. Bar in 1845. "The war governor," he served from 1857-1865. He served in Ga. Supreme Court and three terms in U.S. Senate. He was popular . . . — — Map (db m14685) HM
Judge Debra Halpern Bernes was a loving and devoted wife and mother to her husband, Gary, and children, Lane and Matthew. She served her community as an Assistant District Attorney for Cobb County, a solo practitioner of law and as an elected judge . . . — — Map (db m54702) HM
One of the two abortive attempts to break Johnson’s line, * June 27, 1864, was made in this area by 3 Federal brigades. Deployed on the ridge W. of the stream & astride Burnt Hickory Rd., they moved E. toward the Spur of the mountain, which was the . . . — — Map (db m867) HM
In ante-bellum days, this hotel was a summer resort for planters attracted by the gay social activities of the town. In 1862, J. J. Andrews and his Federal raiders met here to begin the daring Locomotive Chase. Confederate wounded were fed and . . . — — Map (db m11469) HM
Also known as the “Fletcher House,” this building was originally built in 1845 as a cotton warehouse by Marietta’s first mayor, John H. Glover. Dix Fletcher purchased it in 1855, and after remodeling he opened it as a hotel. Located next . . . — — Map (db m70102) HM
June 19, 1864. When Johnston’s forces [CS] moved to a third position on the Kennesaw front, the defense works included the mountain. Bearing N.E. & E., the line ran to the Canton rd.; southward, it reached below the Dallas Rd. The left of French’s . . . — — Map (db m33140) HM
This hewn log house, built about 1836 by a pioneer settler, Peter Valentine Kolb, is the only surviving structure of about a dozen farms, mills and churches existing within the park at the time of the Civil War. The house sustained light damage . . . — — Map (db m70101) HM
This memorial to Mary Annie Gartrell (1853-1906) was erected by her grieving sister Lucy (1863-1954). Musicians both and natives of Cobb County, Lucy visited this grave from her Atlanta home at least twice-weekly for 48 years, many times on foot. . . . — — Map (db m15203) HM
The Lemon Street Grammar School opened in 1894. The original wooden structure was funded by Marietta’s school board, and designed to educate Negro students. The high school was built nearby in 1930 at urging of Ursula Jenkins. Professor M. J. Woods . . . — — Map (db m60575) HM
Near this location on August 17, 1915, Leo M. Frank, the Jewish superintendent of the National Pencil Company in Atlanta, was lynched for the murder of thirteen-year-old Mary Phagan, a factory employee. A highly controversial trial fueled by . . . — — Map (db m16574) HM
June 25, 26, 1864. These troops being designated to assault Confederate forces on Kennesaw Spur, moved to this sector & were aligned astride the Burnt Hickory rd. at this point.
June 27. Walcutt’s brigade (Harrow’s div.) N. of rd.; G.A. . . . — — Map (db m29988) HM
On May 23-24, 1864, Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk's Corps (CS) marched from Allatoona, Bartow Co., to Dallas, Paulding Co., passing Lost Mountain Post Office.
On June 4-5, Polk's Corps withdrew from the Dallas-New Hope front to Lost Mtn., the position . . . — — Map (db m11440) HM
The wooded knob W. was a fortified outpost, 1.25 miles north of Johnston’s intrenched line from Lost to Brushy Mountains, June 5-15, 1864. Pine Mountain was held by Bate’s division of Hardee’s A. C., 5th Co. Washington Artillery of N. Orleans & Lt. . . . — — Map (db m30365) HM
About a hundred yards southeast of this marker is the remnant of a 15 mile line of Confederate fortifications. These infantry trenches were occupied until June 17th by the Army of Mississippi, a unit within the Confederate Army of Tennessee, Gen. . . . — — Map (db m11337) HM
The campground was established in 1837 at the recommendation of a Methodist "circuit rider" who traveled to serve many churches. The original 40-acre site was purchased for $40.00 and included the land now occupied by the church and cemetery across . . . — — Map (db m11205) HM
Marietta National Cemetery Atlanta Campaign During the Civil War, the fight for Atlanta began in early May 1864 in north Georgia. It ended when Union troops marched into the state capital on September 2. Over four months, Union and . . . — — Map (db m120022) HM WM
Here rest the remains of 10,132 Officers and Soldiers who died in defence of the Union, 1861-1865.
Dedication plaque on one of the marble columns:
In Memory of
Henry Greene Cole
Of Marietta Georgia
Who Gave These Grounds . . . — — Map (db m61180) WM
Celebrated in song as "Little Mary Phagan" after her murder at age 13 on April 26, 1913 in Atlanta. The trial and conviction of Leo Frank were controversial, as was the commutation of his death sentence four days before Confederate Veterans marked . . . — — Map (db m16571) HM
E. on the ridge beyond the valley is the Illinois memorial to Col. Dan McCook’s brigade, Davis’ div., 14th A.C. [US]. It stands at an angle in breastworks of Cheatham's div., Hardee’s A.C. [CS]. McCook's was 1 of 5 brigades designated to attempt a . . . — — Map (db m17192) HM
Built in the style of coastal burial chambers in 1854 by Savannah planter Francis Harris McLeod (1784-1864), an investor in Roswell King´s mills. He was the namesake of his grandfather Francis Harris, first Speaker of 1751 Ga. Colonial Assembly. Six . . . — — Map (db m15187) HM
On 15 June 1864 Daniel Butterfield's division of Joseph Hooker's XX [20th] Army Corps approached this point via the Sandtown Road (Acworth-Due West Rd.) intending to attack Cleburne's Confederates entrenched here at Burnt Hickory and Sandtown roads . . . — — Map (db m11373) HM
Hardee’s intrenched line [CS] crossed the road at this point -- position held June 17-19, 1864 by Cleburne’s Division [CS] after withdrawal of Johnston’s left flank from Gilgal Church. A sharp artillery duel & severe rain marked the 48 hours here . . . — — Map (db m17685) HM
In 1886, Mr. & Mrs. R.T. Nesbitt sold Union Chapel to
the church’s trustees. The deed specified it was to be
used by all Christian denominations and by schools and
agricultural societies. As this was a rural community,
various clergymen preached . . . — — Map (db m11174) HM
1.5 Mi. N.W. is the site of old Gilgal Primitive Baptist Ch. (at DUE WEST) -- a landmark of military operations. JUNE 5-17, 1864.S.E. along this road Cleburne’s div. of Hardee’s Corps [CS] withdrew from Gilgal to old Marietta Rd. S. . . . — — Map (db m17682) HM
Zion Baptist Church was organized in 1866 by 88 former slaves who left First Baptist Church. The first worship place was a brush arbor. Next a small wooden structure was built which was destroyed by fire.
In 1888, the present structure was . . . — — Map (db m42785) HM
Old Zion Church stood 150 ft. E. Confederate trenches crossed rd. in N. S. direction -- the left of Johnston’s Kennesaw line, occupied by Hood’s A. C., [CS] June 21, when it was shifted to their sector from E. of Kennesaw Mtn. Hood’s corps deployed . . . — — Map (db m19670) HM
This cabin is one of the rare examples of a single-pen (one room) log house remaining in Cobb County. Although a framed addition was added later, the original hand-hewn, squared-and-notched log construction is still visible. William Power originally . . . — — Map (db m33350) HM
Established 1835 by James Power, (1790-1870).
Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard’s 4th A. C. (Army of the Cumberland) [US], moved from Vining’s station to this vicinity July 9, 10, 1864. Newton’s (2d) div. was diverted to Roswell to support Garrard’s cav. . . . — — Map (db m16782) HM
This house was the residence of Alice McClellan Birney, co-founder of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers during the post-war era.
The home was probably built by Miss Mary Ann Nesbit prior to 1869, in which year it was purchased by . . . — — Map (db m19980) HM
Mattie Harris Lyon, 97, the “Mother of Marietta,” was known for her years of zealous and affectionate service in religious, civic, welfare and patriotic activities. Her life was dedicated to the service of people of all races. A true . . . — — Map (db m5198) HM
Prominent minister who was born a slave 1833. He was a charter member of Zion Baptist at its founding in 1866 and its second pastor (1869-1885). In 1885 he organized Cole St. & later Pleasant Grove and Whitlock Avenue Baptist Churches. In 1890 . . . — — Map (db m15191) HM
Lawyer, Legislator, Mayor, Judge Robert Flournoy moved to Marietta from Atlanta in 1957 to practice law. He served in the Georgia House 1963 – 1965, creating the Cobb State Court. Flournoy founded the Downtown Marietta Development Authority in . . . — — Map (db m46618) HM
After the seizure of Big Shanty (Kennesaw) by Sherman’s forces, June 9, 1864, Brig. Gen. Kenner Garrard’s cav. div. [US] was posted on the left flank during operations on the Kennesaw Mountain front.
Garrard’s cav. guarded Noonday Creek valley . . . — — Map (db m1662) HM
Brig. Gen. L. S. Ross, commanding the Texas brigade of Brig. Gen. Wm. H. Jackson’s cavalry [CS], had fought delaying actions with Schofield’s 23rd A. C. [US] (the rt. of Sherman’s forces) since both armies moved from Paulding Co.; Ross had . . . — — Map (db m19606) HM
The greatest friend Univ. of Ga. ever had" began his academic career in Marietta: principal, Supt. City Schools 1892-1903. At Georgia (1903-1945) promoted academics and sports: Faculty chrm. athletics from 1908; first head School of Journalism in . . . — — Map (db m17028) HM
Hdqrs., Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield, Commanding Army of the Ohio [US] -- rt. wing of Sherman’s forces on the Kennesaw front, June 22-30, 1864, while directing flanking march of 23d A.C. [US] S. on the Sandtown Road. Cox’s 3d Div. camped here & . . . — — Map (db m19699) HM
Late in the day General Butterfield's division of the Federal XX Army Corps fought past the Dickson House intending to assault the Confederate entrenchments at Gilgal Church, 300 yards south of this point near the intersection of Acworth-Due West . . . — — Map (db m33427) HM
The only slave burial ground in any major white Georgia cemetery. Here 19 Christian slaves and freed persons of Marietta Christians were buried in unmarked graves ca. 1848-1866. Only four have been positively named, servants of Mrs. Eliza G. . . . — — Map (db m15188) HM
The original structures which housed the Marietta Paper Mills ~ incorporated in 1859 ~ stood 1/4 mile down stream from Paper Mill Road. The mills manufactured news print, wrapping paper and stationery ~ a pioneer enterprise in this section of the . . . — — Map (db m53527) HM
By 1854 Edward Denmead was operating a large flour mill upstream from the bridge over Sope Creek.
By 1859 a paper mill was operating downstream, making writing, printing, and wrapping paper. Both industries were built here to utilize water . . . — — Map (db m53526) HM
remembers the valor and devotion of her sons who served at Cheatham Hill, Kennesaw Mountain, and in other engagements of the Atlanta Campaign in 1864.
Texas units in the campaign were:
6th Texas Inf. & . . . — — Map (db m85977) WM
July 8, 1864. The first passage of the Chattahoochee River by Federal forces was made at mouth of Soap Creek by Cox’s division, 23d A.C. [US]. Cameron’s brigade crossed creek at the dam and passing the blackened ruins of the Paper Mills, scaled the . . . — — Map (db m53532) HM
July 8, 1864. The first passage of the Chattahoochee River by Federal forces was made at mouth of Soap Cr. by Cox’s div., 23d A.C. Cameron’s brigade crossed cr. at the dam and passing the blackened ruins of the Paper Mills, scaled the high ridge E. . . . — — Map (db m53533) HM
Here, in the spring of 1865, Gen. Henry M. Judah had his headquarters and saw evidence which helped him make a decision of much importance to local people. Since no crops had been grown here on the battlefields and, as the surrender had paralyzed . . . — — Map (db m8997) HM
This park is dedicated to thousands of men and women who built 665 B-29 bombers that played a major role in bringing the U.S. victory during World War II.
The steps remain as a reminder of the daily walk to work at the Bell Aircraft Plant by . . . — — Map (db m30044) HM
Constructed and manned by Confederate infantry on
June 15, 1864 the location of this trench enabled the
southerners to deliver a deadly flank fire into the right of Geary’s division (20th Army Corps) as it approached the principal line of . . . — — Map (db m11224) HM
Pending Federal crossings of the Chattahoochee, Gen. E. M. McCook's cav. div. [US] screened 4th and 23d Corps movements to fords and ferries in this vicinity, July 6, 15, 1864. July 7, Brownlow's 1st Tennessee reg't., Dorr’s brigade (McCook's cav.) . . . — — Map (db m16779) HM
This little cannon served at the Georgia Military Institute from 1852 to 1864, then went into the Confederate Army, was captured on Sherman’s March to the Sea, 1864-1865, and held as a trophy of war until 1910, when it was returned by the United . . . — — Map (db m56251) HM
To the 14 Georgians who were Generals
Of the Confederate States Army
In the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
June 27, 1864
Lt. Gen. William Joseph Hardee • Maj. Gen. William Henry Talbot Walker • Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler • . . . — — Map (db m84441) WM
3000 soldiers in this
cemetery, from every . . . — — Map (db m87441) WM
The Kennesaw Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized July 29, 1898, in the parlors of the Kennesaw House on the second floor corner nearest the railroad station. Mrs. R. L. Nesbitt was elected the first president. There were forty . . . — — Map (db m1665) HM
Beloved merchant, druggist, and Episcopalian, he helped found St. James in 1842; in 1844 he built his home across from the church. His 1845 drug store on the square was a town social center. The Root home, one of the oldest wooden houses, and a good . . . — — Map (db m17193) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
who gave their lives
in defense of the Union in
1861 - 1865
Four hundred and five
belonging to the following regiments
are buried here
1st . . . — — Map (db m87442) WM
The house atop hill was one of the few battle-field houses surviving military operations of the Kennesaw Campaign.
McAdoo ownership was Jan. 6, 1863-Feb. 3, 1864. Here, Oct. 31, 1863 was born the Hon. Wm. G. McAdoo. Secy. of the Treasury, . . . — — Map (db m8482) HM
Polk’s Corps [CS] having held the sector centering on Lost Mountain, June 5-9, was withdrawn E., leaving Gen. W.H. Jackson’s Cav. Div. [CS] to hold the vacated line. On the 17th, Johnston [CS] shifted his left flank E. to Mud Creek; during this . . . — — Map (db m17029) HM
May 23, 1864. Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee’s A. C. [CS] marched from Stegall's Station (Emerson), and Etowah River, via New Hope Ch., reaching Powder
Springs afternoon of the 24th. The corps made this march in advance of Johnston’s forces [CS] to find . . . — — Map (db m20425) HM
The palisade was interrupted at this point for an artillery redan, an earth structure designed to protect two cannons. The lower sections in the wall of the redan indicate where the muzzle of each gun would protrude. Of the three dozen or so . . . — — Map (db m86995) HM
July 4, 1864. Early a.m., Brig. Gen. John Fuller’s brigade, 4th div., 16th A. C. [US], moved 1 mi. E. from the Nickajack Cr. Bridge, Concord Rd., to ascertain the strength of Hood’s A. C. [CS]. Finding it strongly posted, Fuller returned to Ruff’s . . . — — Map (db m19603) HM
July 3, 1864. Gen. J. E. Johnston's army (CS) withdrew from Kennesaw Mtn. & occupied a double line of field-works which crossed the R. R. at old Smyrna Camp Ground, facing N. W. Loring's A. C. was on the rt. (N. E. of R. R.); Hardee's, at center; . . . — — Map (db m5951) HM
Founded circa 1850, the original church was destroyed in 1864 by the Federal Army and rebuilt after the Civil War. The church, cemetery, and nearby spring carry the name of James A. Collins, an Atlanta pioneer, merchant, and local landowner. His . . . — — Map (db m33421) HM
There may have been burials in this cemetery prior to 1848, however, this grave is the earliest one with an engraved headstone which shows a date. His daughter Mary, who died at approximately 17 years of age on March 14, 1858, . . . — — Map (db m17088) HM
Before you are the earthen remnants of a Civil War fort of unique design. Upon seeing these forts, Confederate Major General G.W. Smith said that their designer — Brigadier General Francis Shoup — would become famous, and Smith called . . . — — Map (db m86991) HM
July 5, 1864. Gen. J.E. Johnston’s Army of Tenn. [CS] withdrew from the Smyrna-Ruff’s Mill line to formidable field-works which crossed the rd. at this point. The left of the line was at Nickajack Cr., 4.5 mi. S.W.; the rt. curved to the . . . — — Map (db m21494) HM
When Johnston’s forces [CS] withdrew from Kennesaw Mtn., July 3, 1864, they occupied a double line of field works extending from Smyrna S. W. to Nickajack Creek at Dodgen's Mill, more or less along this, the old Concord Road. Hood’s Corps held the . . . — — Map (db m19626) HM
From her birth home just across the railroad track on Gilbert Street, Mazie Whitfield Nelson watched the growth of downtown Smyrna from a village of less than 400 when she was born on New Year’s Day in 1890, to a community of . . . — — Map (db m17089) HM
Again, you are standing behind a Shoupade. This fort faced slightly west of north. It was one of five Shoupades along Fort Drive, which derived its name from the existence of these forts.
For over five decades (1950s to early 2000s), this . . . — — Map (db m86997) HM
Within this park is the remnant of a unique fortification known as Johnston's River Line. In mid June 1864, the Confederate Army of Tennessee under General Joseph E. Johnston was fighting in central Cobb County and about to withdraw to the . . . — — Map (db m86946) HM
Traditional history says this cemetery was established in 1838 by the Smyrna Methodist Church. However, Wylie Flannigan of Campbell County, Ga. took title to Land Lot 522 in which the cemetery is located, on July 1, 1843 after paying Georgia $5.00 . . . — — Map (db m17066) HM
Ulysses S. Grant was President of the U.S., and the South was still suffering from the effects of abusive Reconstruction when Smyrna was first incorporated August 23, 1872. One theory is that in the post-war era, citizens feared the town . . . — — Map (db m17072) HM
S. on this rd., .8 mi. stands the ante-bellum residence of Alexander Eaton (1809-1905). July 3, 4, 5, 1864, the intrenched lines of Gen. John B. Hood’s A.C. [CS] extended along the rd. from the Gann Cem. to site of Cooper’s Lake. The Eaton house, . . . — — Map (db m29693) HM
Ante-bellum residence of Asbury Hargrove 1809 ~ 1879. Headquarters of Brig. Gen. Edward M. McCook, July 6 ~ 15, 1864.
McCook’s (1st) div. (Dorr’s & Lamson’s brigades), Elliott’s Cav. Corps (Army of the Cumberland) [US], was posted here to patrol . . . — — Map (db m33383) HM
Founded in Atlanta in 1940, United Distributors exemplifies the entrepreneurialism that characterized Georgia business during the twentieth century. With the repeal of prohibition in 1933, the Twenty-first Amendment delegated to each state the right . . . — — Map (db m108757) HM
Hardy Pace (1785-1864), operated the Chattahoochee River ferry at site of bridge where Pace’s Ferry rd. crosses. Federal forces occupied Vining’s Station, July 5-17, 1864, while preparing to cross at Pace’s & Power’s for the move on Atlanta. Gen. O. . . . — — Map (db m29944) HM
July 17, 1864. Palmer’s 14th and Hooker’s 20th A. C. [US] crossed to the Fulton Co. side of the river on two pontoon bridges. This passage was covered by Wood’s 4th A.C. div., which marched down Mt. Paran Rd. from Power’s Ferry, 3 mi. N.
To . . . — — Map (db m53668) HM
July 17, 1864. Palmer’s 14th and Hooker’s 20th A. C. [US] crossed to the Fulton Co. side of the river on two pontoon bridges. This passage was covered by Wood’s 4th A.C. div., which marched down Mt. Paran Rd. from Power’s Ferry, 3 mi. N. To divert . . . — — Map (db m53669) HM
June 5, 1864. When Johnston’s army [CS] withdrew from Smyrna to the river, Howard’s 4th A. C., and Baird's div. (14th A.C.), [US] via highway and R. R. occupied Vining’s. Baird’s troops kept on down the R. R. until halted by Johnston’s River Line. . . . — — Map (db m29945) HM
When the 4th A.C. reached the Chattahoochee July 5, attempts to cross were found impracticable because of Confederate opposition on the other side. Pending the crossing of the 23d A.C. at Soap Cr., July 8, the 4th A.C. marked time in trenches . . . — — Map (db m23191) HM
July 5, 1864. During Johnston’s retreat from Smyrna, a portion of his wagon-train detoured from the Atlanta-Marietta rd. via Vining’s Station to a pontoon bridge at Pace’s Ferry. Wheeler’s Cav. escorted the trains; when all were across, the bridge . . . — — Map (db m21534) HM