Chartered as Clintonville Male and Female Academy. Building erected 1860: occupied January, 1861. The first school in Coffee County to teach beyond the sixth grade. Clintonville, for many years, was recognized as the cultural and educational center . . . — — Map (db m54787) HM
The first congregational meetings were held in a small former dwelling house.
In 1915 this congregation joined with the Alabama District of The Assemblies of God. First pastors were: Rev. Elijah Spence and Rev. Wayne Tomlin.
First deacons . . . — — Map (db m95357) HM
Elba began circa 1840. A ferry had been started across Pea River, thus beginning the town’s first name, Bridgeville. In 1850, the town’s name was changed to Bentonville in honor of a Missourian who had distinguished himself in service to Alabama in . . . — — Map (db m54201) HM
A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South existed in Elba even before Rev. Robert Shaw Rabb was assigned as the first minister to the Elba Circuit on December 15, 1853. This site was purchased in 1909 and the Church officially opened . . . — — Map (db m83274) HM
James Elisha (Big Jim) Folsom, a resident of Elba,
Coffee County, served as the 45th and 47th
Governor of Alabama. Folsom lived in this home
from 1908 to 1910 when it was located near the
Folsom Mill Creek and Tabernacle communities.
The Folsom . . . — — Map (db m94160) HM
Joshua Marion Folsom
Eulala Dunnavant Folsom
James Elisha Folsom
October 9, 1908
46th Governor of Alabama
January 1947 — 1951
48th Governor of Alabama . . . — — Map (db m94161) HM
The first Coffee County Courthouse was at Wellborn and burned in 1851. This site given by John B. Simmons when Elba was selected the county seat polling 58 more votes than Indigo Head (Clintonville) in a county election on October 5, 1852. The first . . . — — Map (db m54804) HM
Curtis School was organized in the early 1900’s and was originally located ½ mile south, where New Ebenezer Baptist Church now stands. A new school was built on this site in 1929 when Curtis, Mt. Zion, and Rhodes Schools were consolidated. . . . — — Map (db m54741) HM
The first seat of justice for Coffee County was located approximately 500 yards southeast of this site. The community was named for Gen. William Wellborn, an Alabama commander during the Creek Indian War of 1836-37.
Under the Act of December . . . — — Map (db m95355) HM
Beloved leader and principal of this institution, later known as Carroll Street School, was William M. Donald (1870-1941)
His philosophy of education: "Apply yourself. Excellence is attained through self discipline and hard work. Learn the . . . — — Map (db m71880) HM
This building was built in 1903 with additions in 1916 and 1997. The first freight shipments and passengers came here on the Alabama Midland railroad in 1898 immediately after construction of the roadbed. That was also the year when most of the . . . — — Map (db m30307) HM
Organized in 1883 by 13 charter members as Carmichael Chapel of Elba Circuit, the congregation originally worshipped in a brush arbor on the NW corner of N. Main and Lee Streets. The first two sanctuaries built in 1883 and 1893 were both located on . . . — — Map (db m54745) HM
Founded near Double Bridges Creek (LeCompte Place) three miles southwest of the present location. First Pastor: J. W. Bullard. Charter members: Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Mathis, Mr. & Mrs. Tom Barbee, Mr. & Mrs. Jack Nichols, Mr. & Mrs. Joe Jones, Mr. Bob . . . — — Map (db m83327) HM
Original two-story brick structure built 1903 by Japheth Rawls, developer of some of earliest turpentine plants in Coffee County. Building remodeled 1928 and three-story wings added by Jesse P. Rawls, founder of first electric power system in . . . — — Map (db m30308) HM
The only battle fought in Coffee County during The War Between the States.
Just east of this spot, at the branch head, a battle occurred between the Coffee County Home Guards and Ward’s Raiders, a group of Confederate deserters who had . . . — — Map (db m83328) HM
Established here about 1871 and served as educational, cultural, religious and social center of this community until consolidation in 1934. School land was donated by George and Georgie Arwood. Early teachers included W.E. Andrews, Mrs. M.E. Fleming . . . — — Map (db m95354) HM