Surrendered as U.S. outpost beginning Civil War. Became part frontier defense line from Red River to Rio Grande. Headquarters first Texas Mounted Rifles 1861 and Texas Frontier Regiment 1863. Manned by troops and Rangers in state and C.S.A. service . . . — — Map (db m85760) HM
Formed from Travis and Brown
counties. Created February 1,
1858, Organized October 6, 1864.
Named in honor of
Robert M. Coleman
A signer of the Declaration
A hero of San Jacinto,
Organizer of . . . — — Map (db m91740) HM
Second county jail. (First was a small 1879 structure on lawn of courthouse.) Erected in 1890, this building is a good example of Victorian jail architecture with some traces of Romanesque Revival. Belting at ground and second floors a notable . . . — — Map (db m94451) HM
Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas in 1832. Commanded company of volunteers at Siege of Bexar (San Antonio), Dec. 5-10, 1835. Delegate to constitutional convention where he signed Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836. Aide-de-Camp to Gen. Sam . . . — — Map (db m94449) HM
South Carolinian. Came to Texas 1853 ▲ Surveyor of lands in this region, including the site of Camp Colorado ▲ Texas Ranger ▲ Prominent secessionist. Member Texas state troops at start of Civil War ▲ . . . — — Map (db m85761) HM
Financed by the Self-Culture Club and other local women’s organizations, this structure was erected in 1909 to provide a meeting place for the groups and to house the city’s library collection. In 1924 when money was no longer available to pay a . . . — — Map (db m94450) HM
This monument erected as a memorial to the original Coleman County court house and to the pioneers who settled Coleman County.
The monument contains the original corner stone and great bell from the court house erected in 1884. — — Map (db m94465) HM
Originally established on the Colorado River by the United States Army as a protection for the frontier against hostile Indians
Moved in August, 1856, to this site
Abandoned by Federal troops February 26, 1861
The site became . . . — — Map (db m94553) HM
A native of Georgia, J.T. Blair (1876-1949) migrated to this area in 1897. He married Carrie Agnes Love, of a pioneer Coleman County family. They had five children. Blair served as foreman of the Overall Ranch, in addition to managing his own ranch . . . — — Map (db m94452) HM
Coleman County was organized in 1867. The landscape in this area included high grasses, pecan and live oak trees. Deer, turkey, bear and antelope roamed freely. Into this wilderness came such pioneers as John Thomas and Julia Gowens Hamilton, . . . — — Map (db m94367) HM
Settlement of this area began in the 1850s with the establishment of Camp Colorado, a United States Cavalry outpost. At the outbreak of the Civil War the camp was occupied by Texas state troops and Texas Ranger units. The existence of the camp . . . — — Map (db m78265) HM
The first known grave here is that of Helen A. (Crocker) Averitt, who, like her husband, John C. Averitt, was an early area spiritual leader and educator. Her burial in 1881 predated the purchase and designation of the land as a cemetery by 20 . . . — — Map (db m90718) HM
In early Texas had Apache, Comanche, Kiowa camps and mountain lookouts. White settlement began at Camp Colorado, U.S. 2nd Cavalry post on Jim Ned Creek, 1857. County was created Feb. 1, 1858. Named for Robert M. Coleman (1799-1837), a signer of . . . — — Map (db m94526) HM
The Daugherty family moved west in the late 1870s to
Coleman County from present Forney in Kaufman County, where Emma was born. At age 14 she left home to finish school and obtain a teaching certificate in Goldthwaite. She married lawman and . . . — — Map (db m94580) HM
Founded in 1894, this congregation worshiped in various places until members purchased this lot in 1900 and began construction of their own building. The Rev. E.M. Douthit and the Rev. B.B. Sanders led the dedication ceremonies in April 1901. A . . . — — Map (db m94548) HM
Missouri native John Banister left home in 1867 and
came to Texas. He received training as a cowboy and
participated in several cattle drives to northern
markets. Banister served with his brother, Will, as a Texas Ranger and participated in . . . — — Map (db m94579) HM
This site was claimed in 1857 under a Republic of Texas land certificate held by former State representative Darwin Stapp of Victoria County. In 1869 he sold the tract to another absentee owner. By tradition, this house was built in the 1870s by . . . — — Map (db m94549) HM
Opened in 1850s for supply trains and cavalry travel along line of U.S. forts from Belknap on the Brazos to Fort Mason and to Fort Clark near the Rio Grande.
Along this road passed great men, including Col. Robert E. Lee, later (1861-65) . . . — — Map (db m94425) HM
With the construction of the Santa Fe railroad in 1886, the town of Santa Anna grew rapidly and developed as a cattle shipping point. According to oral history, W.C. Brooks was the first person buried in the Santa Anna Cemetery before the railroad . . . — — Map (db m94547) HM
Mountain and town named in honor of man in power here in 1840’s, a Comanche chief friendly to Texans. Santa Anna in 1846 visited President Polk in Washington during U.S. negotiations to annex Texas. Also signed and kept until his death of cholera in . . . — — Map (db m94527) HM
The first community in this vicinity began as a Baptist church settlement founded in 1900. The vast ranch land of the area was divided into lots beginning about 1905. Early settlers called the community “Double Gates” because there were . . . — — Map (db m91742) HM
Stonemason T.T. Perry arrived in Santa Anna about 1890 and, using the rock from the twin peaks above the town, helped carve the history of the town in stone. Perry fashioned many of the landmark buildings in Santa Ann where he worked and was buried . . . — — Map (db m94578) HM
Built 1886 by an attorney from Mississippi. Colonial architecture. House was enlarged from 8 to 12 rooms after 1903 purchase by Fred W. Turner, rancher and oilman.
This was gathering place for area social and business leaders.
Recorded . . . — — Map (db m94529) HM
Thomas T. Perry
Thomas T. Perry was born March 12, 1853 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He came to San Antonio, Texas, as a young man, learning the craft of stone while masonry working for the Southern . . . — — Map (db m94577) HM
William Patrick Williams (ca. 1818-1898) and his wife Elizabeth (Boles) (ca. 1822-1899) migrated to Texas from Mississippi during the Civil War. After a brief stay in Cherokee County, they settled in this area, arriving by wagon train. Their nearby . . . — — Map (db m94584) HM
Oldest town in county; founded about 1855 as a cowboy trading post for ranching activities of cattle baron John Chisum. During 1860-1890, it was a boisterous community at a crossroads of cattle trails. Because of notorious jokes played at local . . . — — Map (db m94585) HM
Trickham, Texas was on the military road from Ft.
Mason to Ft. Belknap in the 1850s. Here camped Johnston, Van Dorn, Lee, and other army men. Here John Chisum gathered herds of cattle in the 1860’s. This was the last town on the Western Trail to . . . — — Map (db m94581) HM
In 1936, the Valera, Bowen, White Chapel and New Central communities established a common high school. The new centralized campus – the second rural high school in Coleman County – was named to commemorate Texas’ centennial of . . . — — Map (db m94383) HM
A man who achieved boyhood wish to become a law officer, Pauley was a rancher before his election in 1923 to office of Coleman County Sheriff.
He was widely respected as a true gentleman. Often he did not carry a gun, preferring to convince . . . — — Map (db m94424) HM
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad established a railway line about eight miles southwest of Coleman in 1904. The town of Valera developed in the area around the train depot. Its business district, established parallel to the railroad, . . . — — Map (db m94422) HM
A frontier center of traffic and communications. First known settler, Richard Coffey, lived here in 1860’s, except in weeks when pioneers banded together in Pickettville Fort (NW of here) for protection against Indians.
This was on the . . . — — Map (db m94421) HM
This monument is dedicated to the memory of those persons that were buried in the Trap Crossing Cemetery (also known as Boot Hill Cemetery, Padgitt Ranch Cemetery, and Trigger Cemetery); the Coffey Cemetery; and the Gann Family Cemetery. The remains . . . — — Map (db m94417) HM