Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Colquitt County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Colonial Heights Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
Colonial Heights Marker
Georgia (Colquitt County), Moultrie — Colonial Heights
Visionary Louis Friedlander, purchased the “Corbett Farm” in 1936 being 340 acres. Believing that Moultrie would need room to grow, he began planning for its orderly growth, to the South.

In order to begin development, it was . . . — Map (db m41070) HM

Georgia (Colquitt County), Moultrie — 035-1 — Colquitt County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 25, 1856, is named for Hon. Walter T. Colquitt who had recently died. A famous lawyer and Methodist preacher, he served in Congress in 1839-40 and 1842-43, and in the Senate from 1843 to ‘48. . . . — Map (db m40202) HM
Georgia (Colquitt County), Moultrie — Greenfield Church
Used as a hospital and recruiting station during War Between the States. This marker placed by Moultrie McNeil Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy Date 1929. Mrs. J. R. Hall, Jr. President. — Map (db m40692) HM
Georgia (Colquitt County), Moultrie — Murphy Settlement
Side 1 The Murphy families were among early pioneer settlers who migrated from Duplin and Sampson Counties, North Carolina to this area between the 1790’s and early 1800’s. This area and surrounding land was inhabited by Lower Creek Indian . . . — Map (db m40867) HM
Georgia (Colquitt County), Moultrie — Olde Greenfield Church and Historic CemeteryIn Memory of Rev. T.C. Gregory
This site, along with 19,600 acres, was purchased through a state land lottery, September, 1843-44, by Rev. Eli Graves, formerly of Vermont. In March, 1848, all was sold to his brother, Presbyterian pastor, Rev. Joel S. Graves. In 1850, using . . . — Map (db m40691) HM
Georgia (Colquitt County), Moultrie — Totem Pole
This totem pole which dramatizes the fact that Colquitt is Georgia’s number one agricultural county was conceived by Mr. W. B. (Ed) Aycock, Sr., pioneer and inspirational leader since 1909. The pole, dedicated in the Fall in 1963, serves as a . . . — Map (db m61124) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.