German immigrant farmers were the first settlers of this area, which was originally called Goodwin. Henry D. Gruene established a large cotton farming operation here in the 1870s. He built a mercantile, cotton gin and dance hall, and conveyed land . . . — — Map (db m81254) HM
Built on the site of an earlier grist mill, the Gruene cotton gin was constructed in 1878 by H.D. Gruene. Powered by the Guadalupe River, the gin was steam-operated and served to process the vast amounts of cotton grown in the area. The gin played . . . — — Map (db m71562) HM
Built in 1878 as a saloon and social hall for area cotton farmers, this is believed to be one of the oldest dance halls in Texas. Christian Herry (1854-1917) built the hall under the direction of town developer Henry D. Gruene, for whom many of the . . . — — Map (db m71559) HM
On this green bank, by this soft stream, we set today two votive milestones, that memory may their deeds redeem, when like our sires, our grandsons and daughters too are gone!!
Born in New Braunfels, Henry D. Gruene (1850-1920) was the son of . . . — — Map (db m71558) HM
In 1846 Comal County held its first court session in the home of its county clerk, Conrad Seabaugh. Courthouse facilities acquired in 1849 proved inadequate and were replaced with a 2-story building at the southeast corner of the city plaza in . . . — — Map (db m111237) HM
This home’s architecture reflects the German influence of many of the area’s early structures. Heinrich Hinmann purchased the property in July 1855, and he and his wife Therese (Sickold) raised ten children here. The home dates from circa 1868 and . . . — — Map (db m111251) HM
Early inhabitants of this area included Karankawa, Lipan, Tonkawa and Waco Indians.
Between 1844 and 1846, the Verein Zum Schutze Deutscher Einwanderer in Texas (Society for the protection of German immigrants in Texas) sent more than . . . — — Map (db m111232) HM
Founded on March 21, 1845 by Carl, Prince of Solms-Braunfels, Commissioner-General of the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas. Named after Prince Solms' estate, Braunfels, on the Lahn River in Germany. Its permanence was assured . . . — — Map (db m117665) HM
In 1851 Jamaica native Jacob De Cordova (1808-1868) settled here. He selected this spot for its beauty, rich soil and nearby springs. He built his first home, "Wanderer's Retreat." It served as a stage stop on the San Antonio Road and as a mail . . . — — Map (db m111260) HM
The traditions of spaß (fun) and gemütlichkeit (fellowship) came with the German immigrants to the Texas frontier in 1845.
From the time of their arrival, settlers had to rely on their own skills and ingenuity to provide the necessities of . . . — — Map (db m111255) HM
The original Catholic settlers of Comal Village longed for their own place of worship and school. Peter Ignatz Wenzel donated 3 acres of land for the construction of a school and a chapel. A one room school was built in December 1868 and an expanded . . . — — Map (db m113847) HM
Area settlers in horse-drawn carriages used this gravel bed low water crossing of the San Antonio-Blanco Road to reach the German settlement of Spring Branch. Despite frequent floods, use of the crossing increased during the years (1875-1906) Spring . . . — — Map (db m46923) HM