“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Comanche County Oklahoma Historical Markers

Marker Underneath Visitor Center Porte Cochere image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, September 30, 2017
Marker Underneath Visitor Center Porte Cochere
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Cache — The Civilian Conservation Corps and Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge1933 - 1941
The Civilian Conservation Corps was organized by President Franklin Roosevelt during the Great Depression. The program provided useful employment for nearly three million young men ages 17 to 26 and served to enhance and preserve our nation’s . . . — Map (db m108855) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — 280mm Heavy Motorized Gun M65(Gun Nr. 21 on Carriage Nr. 3)
(left plaque) At 8:31 a.m. on 25 May 1953 this gun fired the world's first atomic artillery round, at Camp Desert Rock, Nevada. 19 seconds later and 7¾ miles distant, the shell that could wipe out an enemy division exploded on target with . . . — Map (db m60886) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Apache Indian CemeteriesFort Sill, Oklahoma
The roll call of chiefs, warriors, army scouts and families buried here include the most famous names in Apache history: Geronimo, whose daring band performed deeds unmatched since the days of Captain Kidd; Chief Loco of the Warm Springs who stood . . . — Map (db m62167) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Apache Prisoner-of-War CemeteriesFort Sill, Oklahoma
Here beneath Oklahoma skies far from their native haunts in Arizona, New Mexico and northern Mexico is the resting place for more than 300 Apaches of the Chiricahua, Warm Springs, and Nedni tribes. During and after the Geronimo campaign of 1886 . . . — Map (db m62166) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Camp Doniphan
In June 1917, on the prairie west and south of here, one of the great training grounds of the first World War was established. Named in honor of Missouri's Colonel Alexander W. Doniphan of Mexican War fame, the huge national army cantonment occupied . . . — Map (db m82364) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Col Jack L. TreadwellPersonal Courage
Colonel Jack L. Treadwell epitomized the Army Value of Personal Courage perhaps as no other soldier in the history of the nation. During his 33 years of service, he earned every medal of valor possible for a member of the United States Army. For his . . . — Map (db m82374) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Fort Sill
Fort Sill was named by General Orders No. 25, HQ, Department of the Missouri, U.S. Army, on July 2, 1869. The post's name honors the memory of Brigadier General Joshua W. Sill, killed at the Battle of Stone River, Tennessee, in December, 1862. . . . — Map (db m44709) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Infantry Barracks
This building was originally constructed in 1870 to serve as the commissary storehouse. It is unique among all the historic buildings, having started as a horizontal, log structure resting on a stone foundation over 200 feet in length. By 1872, the . . . — Map (db m60884) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Post Chapel
The "Old" Post Chapel was constructed in 1875 by elements of the 11th Infantry and the 4th Cavalry under the command of General Ranald S. McKenzie. The sum of $2,500 was appropriated for the purchase of materials for the erection of a chapel & . . . — Map (db m47147) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Post Guardhouse
This building was constructed in 1872-73 by the "Buffalo Soldiers" of the 10th Cavalry Regiment, after the barracks and quarters of the Post were completed. Prior to this time, prisoners were kept in the basement of the Cavalry barracks . . . — Map (db m82376) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Post Headquarters
Erected in 1870, and built of limestone quarried from a nearby hill, the Post Headquarters building housed the administrative offices. The Commanding Officer, his executive officer, the adjutant, a sergeant and a signal officer worked here. The . . . — Map (db m60883) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Proud AmericanProud American 175MM Tube — One of the first entering in South Vietnam War —
The M-107 SPG (Self-Propelled Gun) entering into the U.S. Army Service in 1963 as a replacement for 155MM M44 and M53 SPG's of the 1950's. The M-107 SPG was soon pressed into service in South Vietnam as the U.S. Artillery's longest range . . . — Map (db m82382) HM WM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Quinette Crossing
In memory of William H. Quinette, Post Trader, 1878-1915. Old crossing on road to Fort Cobb. General Sheridan's HQ mess tent was pitched here 10 Jan - 23 Feb 1869 when he founded Fort Sill. — Map (db m82383) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Satank Killed
The noted Kiowa chief Sitting Bear (Satank) of the Society of the Ten Bravest was killed beside an elm tree 400 feet due west of here on June 8, 1871, while attacking 4th Cavalry guards. — Map (db m60882) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Fort Sill — Under the Southern Cross Americal (23rd) Infantry Division
The Americal (23rd) Infantry Division is unique in the annuals U.S. Army history. It was the only modern Army division that began with a name and no number assigned to it. Each time it was activated in war it grew out of a Task Force first. All . . . — Map (db m106243) HM WM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Lawton — Chief Stumbling Bear Pass
Kiowa Chief Stumbling Bear who signed the Medicine Lodge Treaty, 1867, founded the first permanent settlement on Canyon Creek, southwest of here. First Government-built houses for Indians were erected in the settlement, 1877. — Map (db m108856) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Lawton — Chief Ten BearsParua Sʉʉmarʉ — 1792-1872, Yaparʉka Band —
An advocate of peace and known for his eloquent words, Chief Ten Bears worked to negotiate harmony between the United States Government and his Comanche people. Tribal members held him in high regard and often chose him as their representative at . . . — Map (db m98711) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Lawton — Comanche Reformed Church
This bell was especially cast for the Comanche Reformed Church when the church was completed in 1905. The bell was used during the ministries of Reverend L.L. Legters, first missionary, and his successors, Reverends H. Sluyter, J. Dykema, R.H. . . . — Map (db m60885) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 4, 2020