“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Comanche County Texas Historical Markers

<i>The Comanche Chief</i> and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., February 11, 2014
The Comanche Chief and Marker
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 12519 — The Comanche Chief
Army engineers laid out a military road in this area in 1850. By 1855 thirty to forty families had settled in the vicinity. Comanche County was created in 1856, and Comanche became the second county seat in 1859. Its citizens, who entertained . . . — Map (db m72309) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Bicentennial ParkAmerican Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976
A City-County Beautification Project sponsored by the Comanche County Bicentennial Committee featuring state historical markers and stone columns from 1890 county courthouse which were donated by the descendants of E.E. Anthony. Park . . . — Map (db m72303) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Calaboose and rock with irons
Commissioners court minutes of 3-17-1872 ordered Jo G Hardin, County Treasurer "To solicit donations to build a jail on Lot 12, Block 7, orig. addn, Comanche jail house shall be 14' x 20', a partition dividing it into rooms." The building, called . . . — Map (db m125943) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 989 — Comanche County
First settled in 1854 by five families, the county, created and organized 1856, was named for Comanche Indians, Lords of Texas frontier, who were losing hunting grounds to settlers. First county seat was Cora. Comanche has been county seat . . . — Map (db m98274) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Confederate Veterans1861 - 1865 — Deo Vindice —
Side A Not for fame or reward, not for place or rank, not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity but in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. For four weary years these brave men suffered all, sacrificed all, dared all, and . . . — Map (db m72290) WM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Durham Building
In 1874 there were 2 buildings located at this site, a grocery store owned by J. B. Green and a saloon owned by M. T. Overstreet. In 1889 W. M. Reese established the William Reese Drug Company, described as the largest drugstore between Fort . . . — Map (db m72305) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 1911 — Fleming Oak
Camped here in 1854 with his father, young Martin V. Fleming hid behind this tree and saved himself when hostile Indians rode through the grove. Years later paving contractors started to cut the oak, but were stopped by "Uncle Mart" with his . . . — Map (db m72294) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 2123 — General Ashbel Smith, C.S.A.(1805 - 1886)
Born in Connecticut. Graduated at 19 from Yale. Studied medicine in France, where friends were Revolutionary War hero Lafayette and inventor Samuel F. B. Morse. As a North Carolina doctor he later took interest in politics and government. . . . — Map (db m72293) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Huett Building and Carrera [sic Carrara] Glass
The original title to this property was given to John Carnes by Comanche County in Feb. 1860. The first structure appearing around 1873 deeded to George L. Wright then to W.J. McLean. From McLean to John Elliott and B.F. Wright in Dec. 1876. The . . . — Map (db m72308) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 2635 — Indian Raid in Comanche
One of boldest depredations in Texas history, made in May 1861, during the "Bright Moon." A braying mule wakened town after nearly all horses were stolen. Citizens spent rest of night molding bullets. Pursuit began at dawn, under command of . . . — Map (db m72295) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 3711 — Old Cora Courthouse
Soon after the creation of Comanche County in 1856, the town of Cora (10 mi. SE) was platted to serve as the county seat. The courthouse in Cora, typical of many early Texas courthouses, was a 12' 7" x 12' 10", one-room, squared log structure. . . . — Map (db m72304) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Ritz Theater Building
William Martin and D. C. Byrne constructed this building in March of 1881. It was sold in September of 1881 to Hill, Moore and Co. for $2000.00. W. R. Slider sold the property to Harry Brin in 1914 for $5000.00 in cash. Mr. Brin established the . . . — Map (db m72306) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 4302 — Robert Thomas Hill
Robert Thomas Hill began life on August 11, 1858, in the aristocratic comforts of his parents' Nashville, Tennessee, home. His family, however, suffered tragic losses during the Civil War and by 1864 young Robert was an orphan living in his . . . — Map (db m72292) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — 31 — Royal King
Royal King was 17 months old in 1944 when Earl Albin and Jack Whiteside of Comanche, Texas, bought the colt for $250 from breeder Felton Smathers of Llano, Texas. Royal King was by King P-234 and out of Rocket (later registered as Rocket . . . — Map (db m72310) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Site of John Wesley Hardin's Murder of Deputy Sheriff Charles Webb
On May 26, 1874 John Wesley Hardin came to Comanche for a second short visit with his parents preacher James Gipson Hardin and Mary Elizabeth Dixson Hardin to celebrate his 21st birthday and to race Rondo a horse he had purchased in Comanche in . . . — Map (db m72313) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — The Bison (American Buffalo)
The buffalo were essential to the plains Indians. Native Americans used the bison for food and clothing, shelter, tools and ceremonial implements - nearly everything to survive physically and spiritually. Before their near extermination, an . . . — Map (db m125929) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — The Chilton-Harelik Building
The original building on this site was erected in May 1873. A deed of trust from Martha and G L Wright was given to a Mr. Crow from Stephenville, TX. In February 1874 James Buchanan paid G L Wright $850.00 in gold coins for the property. The . . . — Map (db m72307) HM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in memory of all veterans who served honorably in the Armed Forces of the United States of America Dedicated May 28, 1989 — Map (db m72289) WM
Texas (Comanche County), Comanche — Water on South Side of Square
1859 first courthouse built near Fleming Oak at SW cor Sq was of slim log poles set on end (as a picket fence) with dirt floor & plank roof. The hand dug well was to furnish water to courthouse & public. As buildings burned on N side Sq in 1868 . . . — Map (db m72291) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 1, 2020