Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

County Donegal Ulster Historical Markers

 
Grianan Ailligh / Grianán Ailigh and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., September 18, 2012
Grianan Ailligh / Grianán Ailigh and Marker
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Burt — Grianan Ailligh / Grianán Ailigh
This large stone-walled fort, located on a hilltop commanding views over Loughs Foyle and Swilly and counties Donegal, Derry and Tyrone, was the royal citadel of the northern Uí Néill from the 5th to the 12th century. It was probably built some . . . — Map (db m71458) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Carrick — Carrick / An Charraig
In 1907 a young woman from Carrick, who had emigrated to America was at the centre of a national controversy. Mary Cunningham worked as a domestic servant for the famous sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudins in New Hampshire. It was claimed that . . . — Map (db m72266) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal — "The Frenchman's Anchor"
This Napoleonic anchor and chain from the French frigate Romaine has connections with Napoleon's failed invasion to assist the Irish in the 1798 rebellion, Irish patriot Wolfe Tone's arrest and subsequent death and in later years Admiral Horatio . . . — Map (db m88327) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — Donegal Castle
. . . — Map (db m71569) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — 6 — Donegal Castle / Caisleán Dhún na nGall
Donegal Castle was built by Red Hugh O'Donnell, the young 'Eagle of the North', in the late 15th Century beside the River Eske. During the Plantation of Ulster that followed 'The Flight of the Earls' in 1607, the Castle, historic home of the . . . — Map (db m71570) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — Donegal Friary / Mainistir Dhún na nGall
Donegal Friary was founded for the Franciscan Friars in 1474 by the first Red Hugh O'Donnell and his wife Nuala O'Brien. It survived until it was plundered by the English in 1588. Four years later, they in turn were driven out by the second Red . . . — Map (db m71608) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Donegal Town — 175 — The Franciscan Friary of Donegal
Founded 1474 and richly endowed by the Lady Nuala O'Connor and the Lady Nuala O'Brien, wives of successive O'Donnell chieftains. The Friary followed the usual Franciscan layout of church on the south side, with cloisters and conventual . . . — Map (db m71600) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Letterkenny — Gallaghers Cottage
At this point once stood the home place of the late Jimmy Gallagher, his wife and family. Jimmy who was an employee of the County Donegal Railway, was a guard on the Letterkenny to Strabane train, when on 11th August 1941, he was fatally injured . . . — Map (db m71478) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Letterkenny — George Murbury
Founder of Letterkenny Town is buried in this graveyard No. 276 — Map (db m71546) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Letterkenny — The Cathedral Square
St. Eunan's Cathedral Work began on Saint Eunan and Saint Colmcille's Catholic Cathedral in 1890. It was designed by William Hague. It is built of white stone from Mountcharles and cost £300,000. The ceilings are the work of Amici of Rome, . . . — Map (db m71548) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Chough / Cág Cos-deargPyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax — Walking Through Donegal / Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall
The Chough is called cág cos-dearg in Irish - the red-footed jackdaw. It can be easily recognized by its glossy black coat, its red bill and legs, a sharp shrill call and its acrobatic flight. They normally nest in crevices and caves on rocky . . . — Map (db m71696) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Farming on Sliabh Liag / Feirmeoireacht ar Shliabh LiagWalking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall
Local farmers use the cliffs of Sliabh Liag as a grazing area for sheep. Hardy varieties of sheep suited to harsh mountain environments are raised to produce wool which was traditionally woven locally to produce the world famous Donegal Tweeds. . . . — Map (db m71630) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Fishing /IascaireachtWalking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall
The sea has always been a central part of the lives of the people who live in this area. Fishing once provided an important source of income for many local families. However, today the industry is in steady decline. Donegal Bay, once busy with . . . — Map (db m71644) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Signal Towers / Túir ComharthaíochtaWalking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall
Signal Towers can be found all around the coast of Ireland and date from the period around 1800. They were built as an early warning system to guard against invasion by France during the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte. Located on headlands, which . . . — Map (db m71669) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — The Bog / An PortachWalking Through Donegal — Ag Siúl Tríd Dhún na nGall
The principal fuel for heating homes in this area has always been turf, which is cut out of the bog. Cutting the turf begins around April or May when wet sods are spread on the surface to begin drying. These are then 'footed' into small piles to . . . — Map (db m71668) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.