On this block Mary Ann (Elwell) Gogin operated a General Merchandise Store in the late nineteenth century.
One of the first women in Illinois to own and manage her own store. Mrs. Gogin was affectionately known as "Auntie" to the residents of . . . — — Map (db m23315) HM
Here stood the home of Edward N. Cullom who with Joseph Kitchell platted the Village of Palestine in 1818.
They donated to the county the land including the Public Square for the County Seat. Early court sessions were held in the Cullom home. — — Map (db m23311) HM
Here stood the Dubois Tavern. Jesse K. Dubois, a close friend of Abraham Lincoln, was an official in the United States Land Office in Palestine from 1849-1853 and later became the Auditor of Public Accounts for Illinois. His son, Fred T. Dubois, . . . — — Map (db m23309) HM
About 1813 the William Eaton family and other restless pioneers considered Fort LaMotte too crowded and therefore constructed a new stockade on a site several hundred yards North of here. A family trait of the Eatons, large feet, led to the name . . . — — Map (db m23319) HM
About 1812 the settlers in this area built Fort LaMotte for protection from hostile indians.
The pioneers farmed the adjoining land but stayed within easy reach of the protective walls.
After the War of 1812 the Indian threat diminished and . . . — — Map (db m23308) HM
On this site stood the home of Augustus C. French (1808-1864) when he was elected the ninth Governor of Illinois.
The early settlers in Illinois came mostly from Southern States so that French, a native of New Hampshire, was the first "Yankee" to . . . — — Map (db m23318) HM
Two early residents of Palestine, John Houston and Francis Dickson, purchased this lot as the site for a combination dwelling and store about 1818.
By 1820 their stock of merchandise provided nearby settlers with goods which they previously had . . . — — Map (db m23313) HM
In this area Joseph Kitchell who settled here in 1817 erected a Grist Mill and Distillery which eliminated the trip to Shakertown, Indiana where the farmers had previously taken their grain.
Horses were used for power, grain was taken in pay, . . . — — Map (db m23307) HM
This area reminded Frenchman John LaMotte of the land of milk and honey, Palestine. While a member of the LaSalle exploring party, he became separated from the group, traveled down the Wabash River, and first gazed upon the region in 1678. Other . . . — — Map (db m23328) HM
Usher - October13, 1891 - - April 4, 1941. Built his first airplane in 1909. From 1913-1927 he learned to fly, barnstormed, and did stunt flying. Pilot and instructor for Interstate Airline and American Airways 1928-1930 and American Airlines . . . — — Map (db m23331) HM
The Fife Opera House, located on the second floor of the Fife Hardware Store, was built by David Fife. It operated from 1901-1912.
It seated 700 people on red leather seats, had electric fans and was heated with a coal furnace. There were five . . . — — Map (db m23314) HM
A United States Land Office was located at this site in 1820 and operated until 1855. Settlers from as far as Chicago came here to file on homesteads.
Young Abraham Lincoln passing through Palestine in 1830 with his family in emigrant wagons . . . — — Map (db m23316) HM