Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Dade County Florida Historical Markers

 
Churches Marker-Side 2 image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, January 24, 2018
Churches Marker-Side 2
Florida (Dade County), Coconut Grove — Churches
(side 1) Originally African American residents of Coconut Grove attended integrated religious services at Union Chapel, now known as Plymouth Congregational Church. The African Americans, who were used to a more spirited religious . . . — Map (db m120630) HM
Florida (Dade County), Coral Gables — George Allen Avenue
George Allen, a native of the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas, moved to South Florida in 1928 seeking a more productive life style for his family. Allen became employed by George Merrick, the founder of Coral Gables. and rose quickly through the . . . — Map (db m120682) HM
Florida (Dade County), Key Biscayne — Historical Marker #1: The Concession Stand
When Virginia Beach Park officially opened to the public in 1945, a prefabricated "snack bar" was among the site's first amenities. A 1947 hurricane destroyed it. In 1951, this permanent concession stand was constructed. For decades, park and beach . . . — Map (db m120685) HM
Florida (Dade County), Key Biscayne — Historical Marker #2 Dance Pavilion
A 1918 map located a "Negro Dance Pavilion" on Virginia Key. When Virginia Key Beach Park opened in 1945, a concrete dance floor was included on this site. Beach visitors danced the Lindy Hop, Foxtrot, Twist, Monkey, Mash Potato, Robot, and Hustle . . . — Map (db m120688) HM
Florida (Dade County), Miami — F-974 — Miami Stadium
Side 1 On its opening night, August 31, 1949, Major League Baseball Commissioner Albert Benjamin “Happy” Chandler declared, “I know of no more beautiful ballpark anywhere than this new Miami Stadium.” From its iconic neon . . . — Map (db m120653) HM
Florida (Dade County), Miami — F-821 — NW 36th Street Bridge
A rare example of a Hanover Skew bridge once crossed the Miami Canal at this location. The bridge, completed in 1952, was built to carry increasing automobile traffic to and from Miami International Airport, southwest of this location. In the early . . . — Map (db m120652) HM
Florida (Dade County), Miami — F-922 — Office of Dr. James Jackson, Miami's First Physician
Dr. James M. Jackson moved with his wife Edith to Miami in 1896 and became the city’s first resident physician. In 1899 they built a home on land purchased from the “Mother of Miami,” Julia Tuttle. Dr. Jackson built this one-story frame . . . — Map (db m120655) HM
Florida (Dade County), Miami — F-816 — Port of Miami
Miami’s waterfront location has played a critical role in its history. In 1895, landowners Julia Tuttle and William and Mary Brickell persuaded Henry Flagler to extend his Florida East Coast Railroad south and build a port city. Flagler’s first . . . — Map (db m120654) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.