Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Dallas County Texas Historical Markers

 
Addison State Bank with Marker image, Touch for more information
By QuesterMark, February 15, 2016
Addison State Bank with Marker
Texas (Dallas County), Addison — 6584 — Addison State Bank
This building was completed in 1913 to house the Addison State Bank, which had been organized the previous year to serve the new railroad community of Addison. After the bank's demise in 1926, the brick commercial structure served as a mercantile . . . — Map (db m105158) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Addison — 11840 — White Rock Chapel
Formed in the Freedman's Community of Upper White Rock (settled by former slaves from the nearby Coit, Caruth and Obier plantations), White Rock Chapel Methodist Church was organized after a meeting at the home of George Coit. Founding members . . . — Map (db m148625) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — 6816 — Alex W. and Sarah Perry Homestead
In 1844 Alexander Wilson Perry (1819-1904) and his wife Sarah (Huffman) (1824-1896) migrated from Illinois to Texas to join the Peters Colony. They purchased this land from Joshua B. Lee, another pioneer settler, and built a simple frame house . . . — Map (db m148631) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — Carrollton Black CemeteryCarrollton Historic Site
This cemetery was established in the late 1800's by Scott Boswell, an early African-American farmer. Later owners respected the site and burials continued through the years, the last of which is believed to have been Collins, in 1960. Flooding by . . . — Map (db m81821) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — 17371 — Carrollton Black Cemetery
Carrollton’s early African-Americans, many of whom were former slaves, helped settle and build the community. By 1871, this portion of forty acres belonging to Scott Boswell, Sr., an African-American farmer, was a community cemetery. In 1915, C.B. . . . — Map (db m145849) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — 16248 — Korean Texans
Korean immigrants first came to Texas in the early 20th century, with a handful living in the state by the 1920s. Most were laborers arriving from the western U.S., including Hawai'i, or from Mexico. However, larger numbers of Koreans immigrated . . . — Map (db m148654) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — St. John Baptist ChurchCarrollton Historic Site
During slavery, Negroes attended churches with their masters, many times to care for their children. After the Civil War, they were not allowed to attend church with white people. This congregation formed circa 1890 with the original name "St. . . . — Map (db m149141) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — 6815 — The Perry Cemetery
This cemetery opened with the burial of Sarah Huffman (Mrs. A. W.) Perry in 1896. Nearby was the Union Baptist Church, which stood on land given by A. W. Perry. On Feb. 18, 1897, he deeded land for this cemetery -- the first burial ground . . . — Map (db m146928) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — 6907 — Union Baptist Church
Earliest Baptist Church in Dallas County; organized in a pioneer cabin, May 10, 1846, under leadership of the Rev. David Myers (1797-1853). Charter members were Franklin Bowles, J. B. and Margaret Ann Lee, Letticia (Mrs. David) Myers, and John . . . — Map (db m148638) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Carrollton — 6911 — Warner Cemetery
In 1852, Robert and Sarah Dean Warner brought their family to Texas from Ireland. As members of the Peters Colony, they acquired land in this area and established a farm. This family graveyard was begun upon the death of Robert Warner, Jr., in . . . — Map (db m148663) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Coppell — Houston Campsite Oak
In 1843, Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas, and fellow travelers camped under this and other oak trees at these springs and met with local Indian tribes, attempting to negotiate a peace treaty. The treaty, signed several months . . . — Map (db m147427) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6593 — A. H. Belo Corporation
A.H. Belo Corporation traces its roots to a small company that founded the Galveston "Daily News" on April 11, 1842. The company began publishing the "Texas Almanac" in 1857. Alfred Horatio Belo (1839-1901) bought the company in 1876 and founded the . . . — Map (db m43393) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6640 — Abraham Carver Cemetery
Twenty-one graves have been located in the Abraham Carver Cemetery which covers one-half acre of land and contains six generations of Carver family members. The earliest marked grave is that of Abraham Carver (1806-1883), who came to Texas in 1844 . . . — Map (db m96704) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6598 — Ahab Bowen Home
In 1861, Tennessee-born Ahab Bowen (1807 - 1900) moved to Dallas, where he was a farmer and feed dealer. He owned and cultivated the surrounding area, including this site which was located outside the Dallas city limits at the time of purchase in . . . — Map (db m149052) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6639 — Caruth Pioneer Cemetery
Established early 1860's by William and Mattie Worthington Caruth, Pioneer settlers. Across road was old Caruth Chapel, where circuit-riding preachers officiated at baptisms, marriages and funerals for Caruth Plantation tenants and other local . . . — Map (db m148838) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6647 — Cedar SpringsEarliest known historic site in Dallas County
Visited in 1840 by Colonel Wm. G. Cooke's preliminary exploration for a route between Austin and Red River. A community also called Cedar Springs, established in this vicinity in 1843 by Dr. John Cole, rivalled Dallas in an election in 1848 for . . . — Map (db m148843) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6649 — Central National Road
During the early days of the Republic of Texas, settlers and pioneers coming from the United States entered Texas by crossing the Red River in Northwest Red River County. On the north side of that crossing was the terminus of a U.S. Military . . . — Map (db m28828) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6651 — Cochran Chapel Cemetery
This cemetery began in 1853 with the burials of Sarah Jane and William M. Cochran, the infant daughter and husband of Nancy Jane Hughes Cochran. Among the many Dallas County pioneers buried here are four of Nancy Jane's sisters and their husbands . . . — Map (db m149328) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6652 — Cochran Chapel Methodist Church
On first Dallas County site deeded (1856) for a Methodist Church. Donor was a widow, Nancy Jane Cochran. First edifice (30' x 40') was built by church men, of lumber hauled by wagons from Jefferson (150 mi. E.) and dedicated in 1858. The Sunday . . . — Map (db m149327) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6883 — Colonel C.C. Slaughter(Feb.9, 1837—Jan. 25, 1919)
Christopher Columbus Slaughter was the first native born cattle king of Texas. While living on the west Texas frontier he was a ranger, Confederate beef supplier, and trail driver. His ranching empire, including the Long S and Lazy S ranches, . . . — Map (db m72329) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6659 — Cox House
Farmers Howard (1837 - 1916) and Mary Jane (Webb) Cox (1843 - 1913) bought 189 acres here in 1878. They built a house at this site prior to 1884 that Cox family tradition claims was partially incorporated into this home built by the Coxes about . . . — Map (db m149272) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6668 — Dallas County Records Building
Designed by the prominent Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, this Gothic Revival style building was erected in 1927-28 to house Dallas County records, offices, and courtrooms. First known as the Hall of Records, the current name was . . . — Map (db m43461) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6670 — Dallas Hall Southern Methodist University
When Dallas was selected in 1911 as the site for a new Methodist University, local citizens pledged 622.5 acres of land and $300,000. In appreciation, the first building on campus was named Dallas Hall. SMU President Robert S. Hyer chose the Chicago . . . — Map (db m148837) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6676 — Daniel Family Cemetery
Frances Sims Daniel (1796-1853) moved to Dallas County with her family in 1849 and purchased land in what is now University Park. An orchard planted near the Daniel Home became the site of a family cemetery in 1850 when "Old Frank", a family slave . . . — Map (db m148834) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — Dealey PlazaBirthplace of Dallas
Within this small park was built the first home, which also served as the first courthouse and post office, the first store and the first fraternal lodge. Dedicated to the pioneers of civic progress by order of the Park Board. — Map (db m4675) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark
Dealey Plaza has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national signifigance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1993 National Park Service United States Department Of . . . — Map (db m4677) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6693 — First Baptist Church of Renner
Renner Baptists organized in 1890 and met in the school building for eight years. Charter members were: B. F. and Kate E. Binkley; Elizabeth H., J. J., Mary A., and R. F. Butler; Mary E. and P. W. Collier; Mary L. Dickerson; George B., J. P. and . . . — Map (db m148772) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 11824 — First United Methodist Church of Dallas
Methodism in Dallas traces its roots to as early as 1846, when the small village was a stopping point for Methodist circuit riders. The first organized group of Methodists met in November 1850, and continued for almost 20 years without a building of . . . — Map (db m135399) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6895 — Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building
This site was originally owned by John Neely Bryan, the founder of Dallas. During the 1880s French native Maxime Guillot operated a wagon shop here. In 1894 the land was purchased by Phil L. Mitchell, President and Director of Rock Island Plow . . . — Map (db m4661) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6715 — Freedman's Cemetery
This area of Dallas County was settled by former African American slaves shortly after the conclusion of the American Civil War. Freedman's Cemetery, a graveyard for African Americans, was established in 1869 on one acre of land purchased by . . . — Map (db m149056) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6723 — Garvin Memorial Cemetery
This burial ground served the pioneer families who settled in the area. Graves here date from the 1870s. The land for the cemetery was donated to the community by James G. Garvin (1830-1897), a former Dallas merchant, his wife Eliza, and brothers . . . — Map (db m149255) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6730 — Greenwood Cemetery
Greenwood Cemetery was part of a Republic of Texas grant, called the John Grigsby League, given for service in the Battle of San Jacinto. W. H. Gaston, pioneer Dallas banker, acquired title to the site in 1874, after the noted local legal battle, . . . — Map (db m72412) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 18581 — Hamilton Park Community
Located ten miles north of downtown Dallas, the African American community of Hamilton Park began as the White Rock Farming Settlement. In the 1940s and 1950s, racial violence in the South Dallas community of Queen City and the discriminatory . . . — Map (db m104246) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6736 — Highland Park Methodist Church
This congregation traces its origin to the founding of a church at Southern Methodist University in early February 1916. Known as the University Church, its first members came from the campus community of faculty and students. Methodist Bishop . . . — Map (db m148933) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6737 — Highland Park Methodist Church Building
1926 Highland Park Methodist Church Building This splendid example of Gothic Revival architecture was designed by architects Roscoe DeWitt and Mark Lemmon and built in 1926. It features a majestic bell tower that houses a 48-bell carillon, . . . — Map (db m148934) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6739 — Hilton Hotel
Designed by the architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, this hotel was built in 1925 for Conrad Hilton, and was the first to bear the Hilton name. The hotel advertised comfortable guest rooms and superior service at moderate prices. The . . . — Map (db m138148) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 18811 — Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
In the early 20th Century, unrest and subsequent regional turmoil in Greece forced hundreds of thousands of Greeks to leave their homes, often for America. A year after the Hermes Society, a Greek-American Benevolent Society, was formed, the . . . — Map (db m148749) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza
President John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-1963) was assassinated in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963. This event changed the city – and the world – forever. As a tribute to this extraordinary man, John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza was . . . — Map (db m4672) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 11839 — John Goodwin Tower(1925-1991)
The son of a Methodist minister, John Goodwin Tower was a veteran of World War II and a political science professor before entering politics. He joined the national political scene in 1960-1961 when he won the special election to fill Lyndon B. . . . — Map (db m150009) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6786 — John Hickman Miller House
Dallas businessman John Hickman Miller (d. 1933) had this house built in 1904 as a wedding gift for his wife Katherine "Kitty" (Melone) (d. 1969). Miller was the son of pioneer area settler William B. Miller, owner of Millermore (in Old City Park). . . . — Map (db m148929) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6605 — John Neely Bryan and Margaret Beeman Bryan1810–1877 and 1825–1919
In 1839 Tennessee lawyer John Neely Bryan chose this high bluff and shallow ford on the Trinity River as site for a trading post. Finding Indians scarce when he returned in 1844, he platted a town, installed a ferry, and called the place Dallas. In . . . — Map (db m24929) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6740 — Karl St. John Hoblitzelle(October 22, 1879 - March 8, 1967)
A young Missourian, Karl Hoblitzelle in 1904 helped produce the St. Louis World's Fair, where he gained respect for vaudeville. In 1905 he founded Interstate Amusement Company and opened theatres in Dallas, Fort Worth, Waco, and San Antonio. Soon he . . . — Map (db m135772) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — Kennedy Assassination Route
On November 22, 1963, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, thirty-fifth President of the United States, visited Dallas. A Presidential parade traveled north on Houston Street to Elm Street and west on Elm Street. As the parade continued on Elm Street at 12:30 . . . — Map (db m4660) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6760 — Letot Cemetery
A native of France and a veteran of the Crimean War, Clement LeTot (b. 1836) settled in northwest Dallas County in 1874. He was the founder and leading citizen of the town of Letot, which was established in 1881 along the rail line. As was the . . . — Map (db m149248) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6775 — Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County
Most colonists first settled in this "Three Forks" area of the Trinity River as members of the Peters Colony after 1841. Immigrants from such states as Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee brought with them a tradition of building . . . — Map (db m43436) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 12983 — Love Field
Believing the city’s success was linked to its transportation system, Dallas leaders made early efforts to secure a future within the burgeoning field of aviation. Oak Cliff resident Frank McCarroll made his first flight in 1903. In 1910, he and the . . . — Map (db m97766) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — Love Field Airman Memorial
Love — Field Named in honor of Moss Lee Love First Lieutenant United States Cavalry Virginia 1879          1913 2nd Lieut. Arthur Anthony Sego, Jr. A.S.A., R.M.A. Born 1894 — Died 1918 2nd Lieut. John Maxwell . . . — Map (db m97713) WM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 18186 — Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church
In 1884, Rev. A. R. Griggs (d. 1922) and Jane Johnson Calloway Endsley (d. 1933) organized the Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church to serve the African American Baptist community of Dallas. After a series of relocations starting in 1907, the . . . — Map (db m149086) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6779 — Majestic Theatre
In his determination to provide entertainment for the entire family, theatre pioneer and innovator Karl St. John Hoblitzelle (1879-1967) built this structure in 1921 to house Dallas' Majestic Theatre. The five-story, five-bay, Beaux Arts structure . . . — Map (db m135695) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6780 — Maple Avenue
One of twelve subdivisions of the North Dallas Improvement Company, Maple Avenue was developed after a streetcar line was extended to this area north of the growing city of Dallas in 1884. Many leading citizens built elegant Victorian mansions . . . — Map (db m148984) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 13536 — Mark and Maybelle Lemmon House
Designed by Mark Lemmon in 1924 for his own family, this house reflects an interest in Norman architecture he developed while serving in France during World War I. Lemmon and his wife Maybelle (Reynolds) supported many civic organizations in . . . — Map (db m148975) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6782 — McCree Cemetery
The first land for this cemetery was granted by Mahulda Bonner McCree in 1866. At least two burials, for John Henry Jones (d. 1862) and Elizabeth McCullough (d. 1864), occurred before the graveyard was formally deeded. Over the years, the cemetery . . . — Map (db m107099) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6784 — Merrell Cemetery
Elder Eli Merrell (1787-1849), minister of the Disciples of Christ Church, came with his wife, Mary, in 1844, to settle 640 acres near Bachman's Branch in what was then Nacogdoches County. This cemetery is on a part of his acreage, and his was the . . . — Map (db m149270) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — Mickey Charles MantleOctober 20, 1931 - August 13, 1995
A magnificent New York Yankee, true teammate and Hall of Fame centerfielder with legendary courage. The most popular player of his era. A loving husband, father and friend for life. — Map (db m120805) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 17060 — Moorland YMCA Building
In 1928, the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Dallas recognized a growing need for expanded facilities across the city. In the African American neighborhood of North Dallas, citizens raised $75,000 ($25,000 more than their goal) in . . . — Map (db m81308) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6790 — Mount Calvary Cemetery
Pioneer settlers used this site for burials as early as the 1840s. The oldest known grave is that of Amanda L. Houx (1829-1847). In 1868 William Huffhines donated a two-acre tract, which included the early graves, to Mount Calvary Baptist Church. A . . . — Map (db m93134) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6791 — Munger Avenue Baptist Church
Located near the railroad tracks on Central Avenue, Galilee Baptist Church was organized in 1894 by the Rev. A. H. Smith and a small group of charter members. In an attempt to block out noise and distractions from nearby taverns, members hung . . . — Map (db m149049) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 14628 — North Dallas High School
The city's fifth high school opened in 1922 on the far north edge of Dallas. At the time, there were three high schools for Caucasian students (Bryan Street, Oak Cliff and Forest) and one for African Americans (Booker T. Washington). The school . . . — Map (db m148928) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 11833 — Oak Cliff United Methodist Church
This congregation was formed in 1887 when the Shelton and Oliver families began meeting with circuit rider C. G. Shutt in the Shelton home under the name St. Mark's Methodist Church. The Olivers began Sunday School meetings in 1888. The first . . . — Map (db m139165) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6803 — Oak Lawn United Methodist Church
An Oak Lawn settler, the Rev. Marcus H. Cullum (1822-85), preached in a grove on Turtle Creek until citizens built a school-church house here on site given by the Dickason-Sale family. At opening of that building, Sept. 20, 1874, the Rev. M. H. . . . — Map (db m148922) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6805 — Oath of Office of President Johnson
Near this point on November 22, 1963, Vice-President Lyndon Baines Johnson took the oath of office as 36th President of the United States. He is the first Texan to hold the office of President. The ceremony was held in the central compartment of . . . — Map (db m97767) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 17284 — Officer J.D. Tippit
On November 22 1963, at this intersection, Dallas police officer J.D. Tippit was murdered by Lee Harvey Oswald, 45 minutes after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dealey Plaza. After the assassination, Oswald fled to his rooming house in . . . — Map (db m139141) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 15025 — Old Letot Cemetery
Old Letot Cemetery Established 1870s. Historic Texas Cemetery 2002 — Map (db m149244) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6880 — Old Scyene Road
Once a buffalo trail, Scyene Road was one of the earliest roads in Dallas County. It linked the community of Scyene with Dallas, one day's journey by wagon to the west, and with Jefferson and Shreveport to the east. Named for a town in ancient . . . — Map (db m147580) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 14100 — Pediatric Orthopedic Care in Dallas
The effort for pediatric orthopedic care in Dallas began when the Shriners (Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine) organized a board with the idea of creating a system of charity hospitals across the U.S. Samuel P. Cochran, . . . — Map (db m149047) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6817 — Pike Park
The city of Dallas purchased this site in 1912-13 for a neighborhood park. Developed as Summit Play Park, it served a predominately Mexican-American community. By the 1920s, the park name was changed in 1927 to honor a former park board . . . — Map (db m148985) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — Propeller From The RMS Lusitania
RMS Lusitania was a British ocean liner built in 1906 and operated by the Cunard Line. The ship entered passenger service in August 1907 and continued on the line’s heavily traveled Liverpool, England to New York City route. During World War I, . . . — Map (db m117031) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6759 — Robert E. Lee Park
The land in this area was once part of a Republic land grant awarded to pioneer William Grigsby. The Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway Company bought twenty acres of the property in 1903, and in cooperation with developers Oliver P. . . . — Map (db m149087) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6697 — Site of First Ferry and Bridge — (about 300 feet West) —
First ferry on the Trinity River at Dallas was started here, 1842, by John Neely Bryan (1810 - 1877), the founder of Dallas. Alexander Cockrell (1820 - 1858), early builder and developer, replaced ferry with wooden toll bridge, 1854. This crossing . . . — Map (db m43435) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 12846 — St. Mark's School of Texas
St. Mark's School has its foundation in three 20th-Century preparatory schools, each of which contributed to its high standards and national reputation for academic excellence. Founded in 1906 by educators Menter and Ada Terrill, the Terrill . . . — Map (db m148917) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 17802 — St. Paul United Methodist Church
In 1873, several inhabitants of Freedman's Town, a community of recently freed people just north of the Dallas city limits, met with Methodist Ministers Rev. H. Oliver and Rev. William Bush under a brush arbor to organize the area's first African . . . — Map (db m80034) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6873 — St. Paul's Evangelical and Reformed Church
Established on December 1, 1889, this congregation began with five charter members. Led by the Rev. H. Siegfried, the church was organized with the help of Fort Worth pastors Thomas L. Mueller and C.F. Bauman. The congregation was originally named . . . — Map (db m150017) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6888 — State Fair of Texas
Founded in 1886, the State Fair of Texas now ranks as the most largely attended state fair in the U.S. It was begun as a private, nonprofit corporation for civic purposes by Capt. W.H. Gaston and other pioneer business and civic leaders of Dallas. . . . — Map (db m121657) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 13912 — Stephen J. Hay School
This site commemorates a significant civic and business leader. Georgia native Stephen J. Hay (1864-1916) migrated to Dallas in 1887 and became an executive of the Texas Paper Company. He served eight years on the Dallas Board of Education and in . . . — Map (db m148841) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6893 — Temple Emanu-El Cemetery
Established by Temple Emanu-el congregation in 1884, this was the second Jewish cemetery in Dallas. The first burials which occurred here were those of Russian immigrants Aaron L. Levy and Jacob Rosenthal. Both men were born in Russia on June 2, . . . — Map (db m148987) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 18318 — Tenth Street Historic District Freedman's Town
The first African Americans to live in Oak Cliff were slaves, brought here by settlers such as William H. Hord in 1845 to work the land. The neighborhood that grew here became known as the Tenth Street District. An important African American enclave . . . — Map (db m98058) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6896 — Texas Centennial Exposition
As plans began to take shape for the Centennial celebration of Texas Independence, a group of Dallas businessmen led by R.L. Thornton, Sr., Fred Florence, and Nathan Adams, joined together to promote the city as the host of the major Centennial . . . — Map (db m121782) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 17723 — Texas Theatre
Constructed in 1931, the Texas Theatre was designed by architect W. Scott Dunne. The "Texas," the largest suburban theater in Texas when it was built, is an "atmospheric" theater, a genre designed to enhance the fantasy and exoticism of the . . . — Map (db m147391) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6894 — Texas’ First Airmail and Passenger Service
Love Field witnessed two “firsts” in Texas aviation history. National Air Transport (later became United Air Lines) on May 12, 1926, inaugurated first airmail service in Texas, and on Sept. 1, 1927, flew the first passengers and express. . . . — Map (db m97765) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 18770 — The Crossroads
Despite Dallas's reputation as one of the state's more conservative cities, its LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) community was among the first in Texas to organize politically and socially. In 1947, the city became home to one of . . . — Map (db m125945) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6671 — The Dallas Morning News
On Oct. 1, 1885, "The Dallas Morning News" began publication as the North Texas extension of A. H. Belo's "Galveston News." The two publications were linked by telegraph to exchange information, and they maintained a statewide network of . . . — Map (db m43392) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6673 — The Dallas Symphony
Early efforts to establish a symphony orchestra in Dallas began in 1899 with the formation of the Dallas Symphony Club. It was a short-lived effort, but in 1911 the city's first professional orchestra was established under the Dallas Symphony . . . — Map (db m135505) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — The Grassy Knoll
Journalist Merriman Smith, riding in the motorcade five cars behind President Kennedy reported seeing Dallas Police run up this hill, which he called a grassy knoll. Some witnesses believed shots came from the knoll area, but police found no . . . — Map (db m116916) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6742 — The Hockaday School
Ela Hockaday (1875 - 1956) received her early education in the public schools of Bonham, Texas. After graduating from the Denton Normal School (now University of North Texas), she pursued graduate studies at both Columbia University and the . . . — Map (db m94482) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 13600 — Thomas L. Bradford
Thomas L. Bradford, who built this home by 1907, was a mayor, capitalist and philanthropist. Born in Louisiana in 1869, he moved to Dallas in the 1890s and became an entrepreneur before working in Southwestern Life Insurance company's finance . . . — Map (db m148972) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6905 — Turtle Creek Pump Station
Constructed in 1909 as a 15 million gallons per day primary pumping station for the city water supply, this brick industrial building was designed by Dallas architect C. A. Gill. Its location on high ground afforded protection from floods that had . . . — Map (db m148943) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6653 — W. P. Cochran Homeplace
Once surrounded by cultivated fields, this residence was built for William P. Cochran (1841 - 1906), whose father bought the land in 1851 and whose mother Nancy Jane Cochran donated a portion of it for Cochran Chapel Methodist Church in 1856. This . . . — Map (db m149267) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6913 — Western Heights Cemetery
Located on part of the original William Coombs survey, burials in this cemetery date to the 1850’s. Originally known at Troth, it was formally dedicated in 1881, when land was set aside for a “graveyard forever” by Z.E. Coombes and W.R. . . . — Map (db m108596) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 13182 — WRR Radio
A pioneering radio station, WRR Radio grew out of tragic events in early-20th Century Dallas. In 1912, a large fire in southern Dallas required all of the city's firefighting units. While they were on the scene, another fire broke out in the . . . — Map (db m126059) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 13660 — Zion Lutheran Church
Soon after German Lutherans began arriving in Dallas in the 1870s, they began to gather for worship. In 1874, the Rev. Tirmenstein from New Orleans started leading the Lutherans in worship, and others soon followed, utilizing facilities of the . . . — Map (db m150006) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 14034 — Bill and Maude Dodson House
This historic Farmers Branch residence was the home of the city's first mayor. William F. (Bill) Dodson (1895-1949), a native of Malakoff, married Maude Gilmore (1896-1998) in Fort Worth in July 1917. The following May, Bill became a private in . . . — Map (db m149537) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6701 — Dallas County's First Methodist Society(Webb Chapel United Methodist Church)
Founded in Republic of Texas. Isaac Blackman Webb (1802-80), after moving his family from Missouri to the Peters Colony in 1843-44 Winter, appealed for a visit by a missionary. On March 19, 1844, in log cabin of his brother-in-law, William M. . . . — Map (db m148706) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6794 — David Myers(October 15, 1797 - March 9, 1853)
William Myers (b.1753) and his wife Flora moved from Virginia to Kentucky, where the last of their ten children, David Myers, was born. David married fellow Kentuckian Letitia Reddish (1801-1885) in 1820. They moved to Indiana in 1829 and to . . . — Map (db m145910) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 11822 — First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch
Thomas and Sarah Keenan settled in Farmers Branch in 1842. They established a family cemetery when they buried their infant son on this site the following year. With the Rev. David Myers, the Keenans organized the Union Baptist Church in 1846, . . . — Map (db m148646) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6725 — Gilbert House
Dr. Samuel H. Gilbert (1828-1890) came to Texas about 1850. He settled first in Cass County, and in 1852 married Julia Ann Ritchie (d. 1881). Gilbert purchased 275 acres of land at this site about 1855 and by 1857 had this native limestone house . . . — Map (db m149539) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6751 — John Keenan(September 3, 1843 - November 11, 1843)
Known as first child born to settlers in area later to become Dallas County; son of Farmers Branch founders Thomas and Sarah Keenan, who started this cemetery for burial of their infant. Recorded 1971Map (db m146112) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6750 — Keenan Cemetery
Thomas (1808-1879) and Sarah McCallister Keenan (1807-1872) came to this area as members of the Peter's Colony in 1842. When their two-month-old son, John, died on November 11, 1843, they buried him at this site, establishing one of the earliest . . . — Map (db m145908) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 13121 — Marsh CemeteryHistoric Texas Cemetery
In 1844, Harrison C. Marsh (1805-1889) and his wife, Mary "Polly" (Raymond) (1810-1888), natives of Harrison County, Kentucky, came from Independence, Missouri to Texas with their five children. They settled in Peters Colony on Farmers Branch . . . — Map (db m148678) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6820 — Pioneers of Mustang Branch
During the early days of settlement in the northwestern part of Dallas County, the creek that runs nearby was known as Mustang Branch. Most likely named for the Mustang horses that frequented the area or for the Mustang grapes that grew here. The . . . — Map (db m137120) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6832 — Rawhide Creek and Park
Named for enterprise of R. J. West (B. 1811), an 1845 settler and an organizer of Dallas County in 1846. West had tanyard (4/10 MI. SW) on this creek about 1846. To meet demand, half-cured hides came from his vats, giving name "Rawhide" to the . . . — Map (db m148640) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 6898 — Texian Land and Emigration Company
Site of the First Agency, January, 1845, of the Texian Land and Emigration Company. Generally known as "Peters' Colony" in honor of William S. Peters who, under a colonization contract secured in 1841 from the Republic of Texas, introduced more . . . — Map (db m148647) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Farmers Branch — 16180 — Webb Chapel CemeteryHistoric Texas Cemetery
Isaac B. (1802-1880) and Mary H. (1816-1887) Webb and their family came to this area of the Peters Colony in 1844. Within a year, the couple led in the formation of a Methodist Society, the first church organized in Dallas County. A log structure, . . . — Map (db m148775) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 6722 — ​Garland Lodge No. 441, A.F. & A.M.
​In 1873 the Grand Lodge of Texas granted Masons in the pioneer community of Duck Creek (present day Garland) dispensation to form their own lodge. The first Lodge hall, which the Masons shared with two other organizations, was destroyed in . . . — Map (db m148094) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 20088 — A. J. Head Service Station
Contributing Structure Garland Downtown Historic District National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m149746) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 15958 — Bankhead Highway in Garland
The early 20th century development of the automobile led to major changes in the road systems throughout the U.S. The 1916 Federal Aid Road Act, which supplied matching funds to states for the upgrade of roads, was sponsored by Alabama Senator . . . — Map (db m147584) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 11823 — First Baptist Church of Garland
Baptists in the pioneer Duck Creek community began meeting regularly in a log schoolhouse probably as early as the 1850s. On March 8, 1868, sixteen Baptists assembled in the schoolhouse and formally organized Antioch Baptist Church, calling W. B. . . . — Map (db m149941) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 11781 — First Christian Church of Garland
As the township of Duck Creek began to take shape in 1858, four denominations shared religious services in the Duck Creek schoolhouse. Area development was delayed by the onset of the Civil War, but by the 1870s the town was recovering. The . . . — Map (db m148088) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 6698 — First Methodist Church of Garland
Organized in 1855 by 18 charter members, this congregation was served by circuit-riding ministers who conducted worship services in a log cabin schoolhouse located on Duck Creek. A sanctuary built in 1871 was destroyed by a tornado in 1874. The . . . — Map (db m148090) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 6702 — First Presbyterian Church, USAof Garland
This congregation traces its roots to April 22, 1888, when the Rev. Benjamin Spencer and twenty-five charter members organized a Cumberland Presbyterian congregation. The church served a diverse membership, including farmers, retail business . . . — Map (db m148087) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 6721 — Garland
Settlement of this area began in the 1840s. A small community named Duck Creek was established and by 1846 a log cabin was serving as a community center, school, and Union Church. Early businesses included a general store, grist mill, and cotton . . . — Map (db m148092) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 18768 — Mills Cemetery
Edward C. Mills and his family were among the first settlers in Eastern Dallas County, arriving in 1847, to claim a Peters Colony 640-acre headright on Rowlett's Creek. Mills Cemetery was established in October 1854 with the burial of Edward's . . . — Map (db m149757) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 6819 — Pioneer Cemetery
The final resting place for many Dallas County pioneers, this cemetery began in the churchyard of Duck Creek Methodist Church, a congregation organized in the 1850s. The graveyard includes sections established by the Duck Creek Masonic Lodge . . . — Map (db m149754) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 12618 — Public Education in Garland
With origins in the rural Duck Creek School, the first school in Garland opened soon after the community's establishment in 1887. Students and teachers met in temporary space until the first permanent building was erected three years later. . . . — Map (db m148089) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 20087 — Roach Feed & Seed Co.
In 1920, Garland businessman W. H. Roach and his son Haskell, recently graduated from Baylor University, acquired the retail grocery operation of M. D. Williams' mercantile store and began business on the south side of the town's square as Roach . . . — Map (db m149751) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 6877 — Santa Fe Railroad Depot
Constructed in 1901 by the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, and designed by a railroad systems engineer. Replaced an earlier depot built when the city of Garland was founded in 1888. No exterior alterations were made, and only a waiting room . . . — Map (db m147585) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Garland — 18159 — Travis College Hill Addition
Between 1910 and 1920, the population of Garland increased from about 800 to more than 1,400. Accompanying the growth of the town was a plan by the Eastern Texas Traction Company to build an interurban electric trolley line. The route, connecting . . . — Map (db m147950) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Grand Praire — 6749 — Jordan-Hight Family Cemetery
This began as a family burial ground in 1866, when David A. Jordan (1808 - 1879) provided land for a cemetery in which to bury his son-in-law, Robert A. Hight (1826 - 1866). The graveyard was later made available to other residents of the area and . . . — Map (db m146215) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Grand Prairie — 6748 — Jordan-Bowles House
Built about 1860 of hand-hewn logs from bottomland of Trinity River. The builder, David Jordan (1808-79), came to Texas about 1859, moving his household by wagon from Tennessee. A farmer, he also kept a store and a stage stand on the Dallas-Fort . . . — Map (db m147587) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Grand Prairie — 12012 — LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M.
Originally built east of Grand Prairie near the African American community known as “The Line,” LiveStone Lodge No. 152, Free and Accepted Masons, was granted a charter on July 24, 1903 by the Prince Hall Masons of Texas. In 1944, . . . — Map (db m5343) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Grand Prairie — 6885 — Old Southland Cemetery
Founded in 1910 by Thomas H. Hall (1867-1965), this cemetery was the result of a need to have a burial ground closer to the community than those existing more than four miles distant. Four acres of land were dedicated for use as a cemetery, and . . . — Map (db m146460) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Grand Prairie — 6881 — Shady Grove Cemetery
In 1877 Louis H. Caster (1826-1908) deeded one acre for a community graveyard, church, and schoolhouse. His son-in-law Lewis Dowd gave further acreage in 1888. Once a center of social life for the pioneer families of Shady Grove, the church and . . . — Map (db m146405) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 15243 — Bear Creek Community
Settlers began arriving in this area, once a part of Robertson’s Colony, in the 1850s. Early families included the Casters, Borahs, Sowers and Haleys. Following the Civil War, freedmen moved to the area, and friends and families once separated by . . . — Map (db m95918) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — California Crossing
In the middle and late 1800’s, wagon trains carrying settlers and freight covered vast southwestern landscapes that often resembled “Seas of Grass.” The most popular wagons, built in the Pennsylvania towns of Conestoga and Pittsburgh, . . . — Map (db m129806) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 6747 — City of Irving
Permanent settlement in this part of Dallas County began before the Civil War with the establishment of small farming communities and supply centers. In the early years of the 20th century, while working on the construction of the Rock Island . . . — Map (db m150535) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 6724 — Daniel Webster Gilbert, M.D.(1854-1930)
Mississippi native D. W. Gilbert came to Texas in 1874. Graduated from Missouri Medical College in 1881, he began his practice in Euless and Grapevine. In 1884 he moved to Sowers, purchased 1500 acres of farmland, planted a peach orchard and . . . — Map (db m150487) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 6690 — First Baptist Church of Irving
When the town of Irving was founded in 1903, developers Julius Otto Schulze and Otis Brown set aside parcels of land for the Baptist, Church of Christ, and Catholic denominations. The new town grew steadily, and by January 1904 the Irving Baptist . . . — Map (db m150583) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 6731 — Haley Memorial Cemetery
William Haley (1831-1908) and his wife Lucinda Catherine (1834-1875) came to Texas from Missouri in 1857. They established a farm in this area and later operated a general store. When Lucinda Haley died in 1875, a one-acre site on the family farm . . . — Map (db m150473) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — Jackie Mae Townsell
Jackie Mae Townsell has devoted her life to preserving the rich history of Bear Creek and providing a better way of life for the people who call this community home. Born April 7, 1936, Jackie Howard was 13 years old when her family moved from . . . — Map (db m95999) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 14677 — Kit Community
Virginia natives John W. and Jestine Gorbit had a farm in this area by 1850. A settlement known as Gorbit grew up around it and became a stop on a pre-Civil War postal route. In 1855, Jonathan Story moved here from Illinois with his wife and 13 . . . — Map (db m150557) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — Minter's Chapel Cemetery
Soon after lay minister Green W. Minter (1803-1887) moved here about 1854, he helped organize Minter's Chapel Methodist Church. His son in law James Cate set aside 4.1 acres here for a church and a burial ground. The earliest marked grave is of A.M. . . . — Map (db m127880) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 16724 — Old Kit Cemetery
Settlers came to this area near the Elm and west forks of the Trinity River in the mid-1800s. Isaac Henry “Ike” Story built a grocery store in what became the community of Gorbit (also known by similar spellings). Ike Story was the . . . — Map (db m146217) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 6878 — Schulze House
In 1912 Charles P. Schulze (1877 - 1957) contracted with builder A. Fred Joffre to construct this one-story cypress-clad bungalow as a residence for himself and his wife, Virginia Tucker (1886 - 1966). Schulze, who owned and operated the Irving . . . — Map (db m150542) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 6887 — Sowers Cemetery
Burial plot was begun in 1868, when a woman and her daughter, whose names have been lost, were interred on the land of Seveir Smalley, a local landowner. In 1874, Edmund D. Sowers (1826 - 1909) and his wife, Freelove, donated one adjoining acre as . . . — Map (db m150482) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 13736 — Sowers Community
By 1856, Edmund D. and Freelove Sowers, who came to Texas from Illinois, owned land in this vicinity. Along with their neighbors, including Jacob and Henry Caster, and William and Lucinda Haley, they farmed, hunted game and cut timber. Ed Sowers . . . — Map (db m150477) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 6857 — St. Luke Catholic Church
Area Catholic services date from the 1860s, when mass was held in private homes. The Mission of St. Luke was established in 1902, and met temporarily in the Lively School building northeast of original Irving. Oral tradition states that . . . — Map (db m150532) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Irving — 14497 — Union Bower Community
Attracted to the fertile land along the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, settlers first came to this area in the mid-19th century. William and Virginia Smith, of Pennsylvania, arrived in 1879. Soon thereafter, Charles and Lucy (Santerre) Voirin . . . — Map (db m150547) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Lancaster — 6733 — Former Site of The Head House
Lucy Frances Jeffries (1840-1931) of Virginia married Henry Head, and while bringing up their four children discovered her talent for cooking. From 1891 to 1918, in her large home on this site, Mrs. Head operated a boarding house famous for good . . . — Map (db m150202) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Mesquite — 6712 — Florence Ranch Home
David W. (1848-1932) and Julia Savannah (Beaty) Florence (1850-1914) built the first portion of this ranch house in 1871-72 after moving here from Van Zandt County. Elaborate wood trim decorates the gallery of the simple frame structure. The house . . . — Map (db m97699) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Mesquite — 14675 — Holley-McWhorter-Greenhaw Families
Three generations of a Mesquite family made important contributions to the city's commerce, schools and fine arts. Tennessee native Nathaniel A. Holley (1861-1947) came to the area in 1884, farming 40 acres near Balch Springs and raising sugar . . . — Map (db m147583) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Mesquite — 11831 — Lawrence Farmstead
The son of an original member of the Mercer colony, Stephen Decatur Lawrence (1853-1934) received about 640 acres of farmland on his twenty-first birthday. He began building the first structure, a small home, on this site in 1874. In 1882 . . . — Map (db m147582) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Mesquite — 6591 — Sam Bass Train Robbery(100 yards NW)
Sam Bass - with Seab Barnes, Hank Underwood, "Arkansas" Johnson, and Frank Jackson - held up a Texas & Pacific train here, April 10, 1878. They took $152, but missed hidden shipment of $30,000. In planning a bank robbery 3 months later, Bass was . . . — Map (db m147578) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Mesquite — 6789 — Z. Motley Cemetery
Zachariah Motley migrated to Texas (1856) from Kentucky with his family and slaves. He and his wife Mary, five sons and three daughters helped settle this area and built their home some 200' northeast of this site, a one-half acre portion of the . . . — Map (db m92012) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — 6597 — Blewett Cemetery
Established for family and community burials by the Rev. George L. Blewett, this cemetery was first used in 1855 after the death of his daughter Ann. A Cumberland Presbyterian minister, Blewett had come to Texas in 1853 with his family and other . . . — Map (db m126986) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — First Baptist Church of Richardson
Founded in 1865 with nineteen charter members, this congregation began as Mt. Calvary Baptist Church. Early worship services were held in the Elm Grove schoolhouse. The Rev. J.J. Butler was called as first pastor of the congregation.

William . . . — Map (db m131078) HM

Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — 6704 — First Presbyterian Church of Richardson
Organized on August 21, 1870, by the Rev. George L. Blewett (1821-1884) and twenty charter members, this church began as the Trinity Congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Early worship services were held in the home of George Henry . . . — Map (db m148651) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — 6708 — First United Methodist Church Richardson
Organized as the Methodist Episcopal Church, south, of Richardson, Texas, in 1886, the church was first served by circuit-riding preacher Thomas Jefferson Milam (1843-1917). For the first twelve years, services were held in the Cumberland . . . — Map (db m148677) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — McKamy Spring
Before any European or American settlers entered Texas, Native American tribes passed through the Richardson area and likely camped around what is now known as McKamy Spring. These tribes met with settlers, one of the friendliest being the Yoiuane . . . — Map (db m127290) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — 6850 — Richardson
The town of Richardson can trace its beginnings to an earlier community in this area named Breckenridge. Founded in the 1840s by settlers from Kentucky, Tennessee, and other southern states, Breckenridge was located of present Richardson. In . . . — Map (db m148650) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — 6713 — The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery
In June 1855, John B. Floyd (1808-1879) of Kentucky bought 900 acres of land that included this tract. Later that year he settled here with his family. In the 1860s he set aside this acre for a family cemetery. Early burials included strangers' . . . — Map (db m148708) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Richardson — 6920 — Wheeler School
Kentuckian William J. (Uncle Billy) Wheeler came to this part of Texas soon after the end of the Civil War. In 1870 he deeded land to the Houston and Texas Central Railway for the townsite that became the city of Richardson and for the railroad . . . — Map (db m148662) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Rowlett — 6852 — City of Rowlett
Rowlett was first known as Morris, the name given to the post office that was established here in 1880. Austin Morris served as the first postmaster. In 1889, three years after the Greenville & Dallas Railroad (later the MK&T) was built through . . . — Map (db m149760) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Rowlett — 17545 — Herfurth House
Accompanying the agricultural boom in the late 19th century was the influx of immigrant German and Swiss farm families to the northeastern portion of Dallas County. Among the German families buying farms near Rowlett was Johann Christian Herfurth . . . — Map (db m149739) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Rowlett — 6856 — Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Rowlett
Second Catholic church organized in Dallas County, Sacred Heart owes its origins to the devotion of an Irishman, Patrick McEntee (1846 - 1921), who came to Texas in 1874. Farmer and merchant, McEntee helped build the railroad in this area. . . . — Map (db m149770) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Sachse — 16028 — Sachse
Prior to 1886, this area served as farm and ranch land for a handful of settlers. During that year, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad indicated a desire to build tracks through the vicinity and William Sachse (1820-1899) donated land for . . . — Map (db m149083) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Sachse — The Sachse Caboose
Union Pacific RR 25613, Class CA9, was built by the International Car Company of Kenton, Ohio in April 1967. This caboose provided a place for the conductors, switchmen, and brakemen to stay while the train was in transit. During the mid-1960s, . . . — Map (db m149271) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Sachse — 6855 — William Sachse Cemetery
William Sachse, a native of Prussia, arrived in nearby Collin County in 1845 as a Peters colonist. He became a successful businessman, rancher, and trader, and participated in several cattle drives to Kansas. His business successes over time . . . — Map (db m149143) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Seagoville — 6758 — Lee Cemetery
In 1870, James J. Lee (1820-1901), a Confederate Army veteran from Mississippi, donated land for this cemetery, stipulating that no charges were to be made for plots. The 1.125-acre tract was the first cemetery in southeast Dallas County. Among . . . — Map (db m149498) HM

157 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2020