Created in 1846, DeWitt County was named for Empresario Green DeWitt. The county seat, originally at Cameron, was moved in 1848 to the pioneer town of Clinton, named for DeWitt's son. County government returned briefly to Cameron, but Clinton again . . . — — Map (db m122101) HM
One of most respected schools in Texas in its day. Founded by the Rev. John Van Epps Covey (1821-1898), noted educator and minister. Embraced primary through collegiate levels, accepting only students over 12 years old for college work. Broad course . . . — — Map (db m125622) HM
Surgeon of Waul's Legion, Confederate Army.
Came to Texas about 1850. In 1856 got M.D. degree in Philadelphia. During Civil War, saved many lives, but took typhoid, which contributed to loss of his eyesight. After blindness, practiced rest of . . . — — Map (db m125623) HM
In 1839 or 1840 at the junction of the La Grange - La Bahia and Victoria - Gonzales Roads (.5 miles east), Daniel Boone Friar (1800-58) built a home and store that served as a social, political, transportation, and trade center for early De Witt . . . — — Map (db m125624) HM
Members of the Hopkins family came to De Witt County in 1854 as slaves of Judge Henry Clay Pleasants (d. 1899). They worked for a time on a Gonzales County plantation and returned to this area after the Civil War as freedmen. In 1872 Henry Hopkins . . . — — Map (db m122056) HM
Born in Cuero, Leonard Roy Harmon enlisted in the U.S. Navy in Houston in June 1939. After training in Norfolk, Virginia, he reported for duty on the cruiser “U.S.S. San Francisco” and advanced to Mess Attendant First Class.
During . . . — — Map (db m34628) HM
From site near here, 1800 Longhorns were moved out April 1, 1866, on first trail drive from this area to northern markets. Crockett Cardwell, owner of cattle bed ground, had gathered the herd. The trail boss was Thornton Chisholm, a native of DeWitt . . . — — Map (db m125625) HM
Extending 45 miles along the Guadalupe River Basin, Cuero I Archeological District was created to define and preserve cultural resources threatened by a proposed reservoir. Archeological investigation in 1972-73 revealed 352 significant prehistoric . . . — — Map (db m61047) HM
Built of hand-quarried native stone in 1856 by V. Hoch, a settler. Served as an inn on the Austin-Indianola Stage Road.
While drivers changed four-horse teams, the passengers welcomed the chance to enjoy the inn's food and hospitality. — — Map (db m61044) HM