Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Delaware County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Africa Community Marker (Side B) image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2009
Africa Community Marker (Side B)
Ohio (Delaware County), Africa — 6-21 — Africa Community
Marker Front: Samuel Patterson arrived in East Orange in 1824 and, within a few years, began to hide runaway slaves in his home. He also invited anti-slavery speakers to the pulpit of the East Orange Methodist Church, which brought . . . — Map (db m20550) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Bellpoint — 16-21 — Bellpoint Buccaneers / Bellpoint High School
Bellpoint Buccaneers In the early part of the twentieth century, most small villages in Ohio focused community pride on the accomplishments of their high school's athletic teams. The Bellpoint basketball teams of the 1920s were a great example. . . . — Map (db m12812) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — "Meet Me In St. Louis" Home
This was the first residence of movie director Vincente Minnelli when his family moved to Delaware. At that time Vincente was eleven years old, and the home belonged to his grandparents, Vince and Nina Minnelli. Vincente credited pleasant . . . — Map (db m18250) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 1897 Memorial Tree
Provided for at the 40th Anniversary of the class as a memorial to their departed class mates — Map (db m19659) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — American Legion Post 115 Veterans Memorial — Flame of Freedom
Dedicated to the memory of all who serve or have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. — Map (db m18237) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 2-21 — Camp Delaware — 1862 - 1864
Near this site, the Union army established two camps on either side of the Olentangy River during the Civil War. Both were known as Camp Delaware. The first camp, situated on the west side of the river in the summer of 1862, was where the white . . . — Map (db m12816) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial
IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR FRIENDS Douglas MacMillan Cherry '85 Ann Campana Judge '73 and Edward Hobbs Luckett '84 who lost their lives September 11, 2001. These gardens and benches are given in their honor by The OWU Friends Fund . . . — Map (db m18328) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Concord Township Veterans Memorial
This plaque is set here in memory of those people from Concord Township who served in the armed forces of the United States of America erected by Concord Township Trustees — Map (db m89534) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Cornstalk's Visit and the Negotiators' Escape
In the late days of September, 1776, negotiators William Wilson and Joseph Nicholson left Fort Pitt which is today Pittsburgh. Their goal was to convince the tribes north and west of the Ohio not to join forces with the British. For support, the . . . — Map (db m93221) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Courthouse Hill / The Plum Orchard
(Side A): Courthouse Hill In the early years of Delaware, this area was known as Briar Hill. It is the highest elevation in the city. Situated facing south and approximately at the center of the existing Courthouse, was the site of the first . . . — Map (db m18247) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County Civil War Memorial
In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Delaware County, Ohio, who served in the War of 1861 to 1865 “Their heroic valor ensured our lasting peace” — Map (db m18227) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County War on Terrorism Memorial
Dedicated by the people of Delaware County in memory of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and those who are still fighting to keep us free. Sept 11 2001 - — Map (db m18241) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County World War I Memorial
Dedicated to the W.W.I. veterans 1914 - 1918 — Map (db m18242) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County World War I Memorial — For God and Country — Lest We Forget
In honor of the men and women of Delaware County who served their country during the World War 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m88703) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County World War II Memorial
In Honored Memory of Our Heroes Who Gave Their Lives Dedicated to the men and women of Delaware County who served their country in World War II 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m18244) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Delaware County: Anti-Slavery Stronghold / The Underground Railroad — Historic Underground Railroad
Delaware County: Anti-Slavery Stronghold A unique combintation of strong-principled religous communities, free black settlements, and tightly knit extended families fostered a wide-spread attitude of willful defiance that made Delaware one of . . . — Map (db m12829) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Eddy, Kroener, and Riesz Memorial
In Memoriam This rock and these three flowering crab trees are placed here in loving memory of three Ohio Wesleyan University students, who died in an auto accident while attending a conference on Russian studies at Oberlin College on September . . . — Map (db m12833) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments
Edwards Gymnasium The gym was dedicated February 22, 1906. It is named in memory of OWU Trustee John Edwards whose initial gift made its construction possible. At the time of its completion it was considered the largest and finest basketball . . . — Map (db m12854) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 8-21 — Elliott Hall — Original Building at Ohio Wesleyan University
Built in 1833 as a health resort named the Mansion House Hotel, Elliott Hall is noted as Ohio's oldest collegiate Greek Revival building. The closure of the Bank of the United States and an economic panic in 1837 created nation-wide financial . . . — Map (db m12822) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 5-21 — George W. Campbell Home
George W. Campbell originally built this highly picturesque structure in 1854. Designed with Romanesque and Norman Revival architectural features - a round tower, arched windows and doorways - and constructed of locally mined blue limestone, the . . . — Map (db m12817) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Oak Grove Cemetery and Arboretum
In 1850, this eighty acre tract known as the Kilbourne farm was purchased for use as a cemetery. The “Old Burial Grounds,” located where Ohio Wesleyan's Selby Stadium now stands, had deteriorated and most of those remains were removed to . . . — Map (db m12851) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Old City Hall and Opera House
The old city hall opened in 1882. Its clock tower rose to a height of 92ft. The first floor housed administrative offices, the police department, the jail, and the fire department. A 1,050 seat auditorium known as the Opera House graced the second . . . — Map (db m12852) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Old Stone Church
This original Old Stone Church bell welcomed familes to worship for 140 years It was replaced after the church fire in 1989 — Map (db m89484) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Patrick J. Foley Memorial Bridge
Dedicated in memory of the former Mayor and Council Member who loyally served the citizens of Delaware from 1920 - 1948. — Map (db m12825) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 1-21 — Pioneer Radio Telescope / Big Ear Radio Telescope
Pioneer Radio Telescope One-half mile east is the site of the former BIG EAR radio telescope. Designed by Dr. John D. Kraus, pioneering radio astronomer at Ohio State University, it had a collecting area of 340 by 70 feet (104 by 21 meters). . . . — Map (db m12813) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — C — Pluggy's Town — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m93688) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — President Hayes Memorial
This tablet marks the birthplace of Rutherford B. Hayes Nineteenth President of The United States Born October 4th, 1822 — Map (db m39762) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Radnor Presbyterian Log Church
Site of the Radnor Presbyterian Log Church, of the Joint Delaware- Liberty- Radnor Congregation built 1819 Distinguished Sunday School Missionary Benjamin W. Chidlaw was a member of this church 1829- 1836 erected 1960 — Map (db m89485) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #1 — The McClure Road — A Series of Four Stones
The McClure Road or Wilderness Way crossed a permanent stream at this point. An “S” bridge has been placed here for utility, flood and wash control. Originally the bridge consisted of large granite boulders as buttress walls, over . . . — Map (db m89680) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #2 — The Atkinson Farm — A Series of Four Stones
The Atkinson Farm was located at this location since the McClure Road ran by this site approximately 500 feet north of here. The holding had ready access to a main road and was not hampered by being isolated deep in the fields as it is today. The . . . — Map (db m89681) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #3 — A Major Road — A Series of Four Stones
Passing this point in the eighteen hundreds was a major road. It was a more direct route from Delaware than the more indirect #36 to this point. Here it was a four corner crossing the Atkinson Lane and the lane leading north to one of the . . . — Map (db m89682) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #4 — Stage Coach Rock — A Series of Four Stones
From the early 1800’s until the early 1900’s a stagecoach road, coming directly from Delaware, passed this point on it’s way to (Millville) Warrensburg, Marysville and Prospect. It was closed by the property holders (the McClure Family) as . . . — Map (db m89683) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Site of Pluggy's Town
Near this location was a large Mingo town of significance during the Revolutionary period of the 1770's. The chief was Te-caugh-ye-te-righ-to, known to the settlers as Pluggy. The village consisted of perhaps 300 inhabitants. Among them were . . . — Map (db m93220) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Site of the First Ohio State Football Game
On the morning of May 3, 1890, Ohio Wesleyan University and The Ohio State University met at this location for a football game. It was the first game in Ohio State football history. Ohio Wesleyan had invited the newly organized team to a contest as . . . — Map (db m18316) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The Delaware County Fair / Little Brown Jug
Side A The Delaware County Fairground June 28, 1833 a meeting of the citizens of Delaware County convened under an act of the Ohio Legislature to establish The Delaware County Agricultural Society. Officers were elected with Milo Pettibone . . . — Map (db m18301) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The March 1913 Flood
The rain swollen Olentangy River flowed seven feet above the William Street Bridge during the March 1913 flood, the greatest natural disaster in Ohio history. Statewide, the flood claimed 428 lives and destroyed more than 20,000 homes. In . . . — Map (db m89362) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — The Sulphur Spring
Ohio Wesleyan owes its location to the initial efforts to establish a resort for healing purposes on the site of the Sulphur Spring. When the business faltered, Adam Poe, a pastor and several citizens purchased it and gave it to the Methodists for a . . . — Map (db m18313) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — University Hall and Gray Chapel
University Hall was completed in 1893. It is constructed of Amherst Sandstone. The bell tower rises to a height of 148 feet. The structure houses administrative offices, classrooms, and the legendary Gray Chapel. Among the celebrities who have . . . — Map (db m12845) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — War Savings Stamps
In recognition of the patriotism of the people of Delaware County who oversubscribed their War Saving Quota in 1918 this tablet is gratefully erected by the Ohio War Savings Committee — Map (db m18239) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Wesley Branch Rickey — 1881 - 1965
. . . — Map (db m12843) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — 13-21 — Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized in 1845, Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Delaware, with Reverend Daniel Winslow serving as the first minister. In 1853 the cornerstone of the first church was laid, which was . . . — Map (db m12823) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — 18-21 — Benajah Cook Sawmill and Farmstead
Benajah Cook and the families who settled in Harlem Township, Delaware County are honored for creating a community of productive farms. The Benajah and Cassandra Cook family arrived when the land was forested and settled on 500 acres of the . . . — Map (db m117443) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Galena
Founded by Gilbert Carpenter in 1809 between Big and Little Walnut Creeks for milling purposes — Map (db m121008) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Gregory — Former Site of Berlin School — 1915 - 1973 — "Oh, we're proud of the school that stands on the hill."
Berlin School stood on this site from 1915 to 1975. The first graduating class was in 1916, with the first graduate being Mildred Schanck. The last graduating class was in 1953 with 14 members. Over these 38 years, 472 students graduated from . . . — Map (db m20554) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Hyatts — 12-21 — Bharatiya Hindu Temple
[Marker Front]: In 1985, Hindu immigrants from India formed a celestial organization, The Bharatiya Temple Society of Central Ohio, and through its membership adopted the Constitution and Bylaws and named the place of worship Bharatiya . . . — Map (db m12819) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Lewis Center — 122-25 — First Jain Temple in Central Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
First Jain Temple in Central Ohio “Souls render service to one another” The Jain Center of Central Ohio was established on May 12, 1991. The foundation stone of the Jain temple, the first of its kind in Central Ohio, was laid . . . — Map (db m105528) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Lewis Center — 15-21/342 — Liberty Presbyterian Church / Nathan Carpenter — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
(Side A:) Liberty Presbyterian Church Founded in 1810 The first religious society organized in Liberty Township was formed in 1810 by Elders Thomas Cellar, Josiah McKinnie, and Leonard Monroe. Cellar and McKinnie came to Delaware in . . . — Map (db m122231) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Orange — 10-21 — James Kilbourne / Anson Williams
Marker Front: James Kilbourne and The Columbus and Sandusky Turnpike James Kilbourne, an Ohio pioneer who led settlers to the Worthington area in 1803, was born in Connecticut in 1770 and died in Ohio in 1850. In 1805 he was . . . — Map (db m18251) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Orange — Kingwood Memorial Park Veterans Memorial
This torch of freedom gratefully dedicated to the veterans of all wars — Map (db m18206) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Orange — The Four Chaplains
A convoy of 3 ships and 3 Coast Guard cutters passed through “Torpedo Alley” some 100 miles off the coast of Greenland at about 1 a.m. on February 3, 1943. The submarine U-223 fired 3 torpedoes 1 of which hit the midsection of the . . . — Map (db m18207) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Orange — 17-21 — The Gooding House and Tavern / Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History
The Gooding House and Tavern Known as the "Halfway House," the Gooding House and Tavern was built by George B. Gooding halfway between the towns of Worthington and Delaware in 1827. Its location was influenced by construction of the Columbus . . . — Map (db m12824) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Orange — 14-21 — The Union Land Company and the Case Family / The Olentangy River Road
The Union Land Company and the Case Family Congress established the United States Military District in 1796 by an act to provide bounty land for Revolutionary War officers and soldiers. District lands consisted of 2.6 million acres in twelve . . . — Map (db m12820) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Ostrander — Ostrander Town Pump
On this site was located the town pump which was the main source of water for the village during the early 1900’s and used by residents until 1973. — Map (db m89535) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Ostrander — Ostrander Veterans Memorial
In memory of all Veterans of the Ostrander area who honorably served or paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of this country. Dedicated May 29, 1995 donated by Ostrander Senior Citizens (six logos) — Map (db m89536) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Powell — Abraham Depp Freedom Station — Underground Railroad Marker
Side A No one was more fiercely committed to the Underground Rail Road than former slaves.They knew first-hand the darkness and despair of bondage. Such was Abraham Depp (1791- 1858), known as Abram, born a slave on a tobacco plantation . . . — Map (db m108067) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Powell — 4-21 — Grand Carousel
This "Grand Carousel," manufactured in 1914 by the William I. Mangels Company with wood horses carved by the Marcus Illions Company, was first located at Olengtangy Park, an interurban-era amusement park in Clintonville. In 1938, the Mangels-Illions . . . — Map (db m29942) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Powell — 20-21 — Lucy Depp Park & The Depp Settlement
Lucy Depp Park was a 102-acre development named for Lucinda Depp (1844-1929). She had inherited the land from her father, Abraham (1791-1858), an emancipated African American man and central Ohio pioneer from Powhattan County, Virginia. Known . . . — Map (db m108066) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Powell — Polish Patriot Thaddeus Kosciusko
This site marks the northern boundary of "The Kosciusko Lands." When General Kosciusko visited the United States in 1797, Congress appropriated over $15,000 to him and a land grant of 500 acres. This land was part of his reward and pay for services . . . — Map (db m36754) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Powell — Powell WW I Memorial
In memory of E.A. France, H. Morrison, H. Pheneger, R.M. Thomas. E.A. France Post No. 144. — Map (db m93432) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Radnor — 11-21 — Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate
Built in 1910, this lych gate was designed by local architect William Robert Powell to commemorate early settlers of Radnor who emigrated from Wales. Traditional in England and Wales, lych gates are covered gateways used to shelter coffins until . . . — Map (db m26929) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Sunbury — Birthplace of Gen. Wm. S. Rosecrans
Born Sept. 6, 1819 Died March 11, 1898 — Map (db m35892) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Sunbury — 19-21 — Major General William Starke Rosecrans / Glacial Erratics
Major General William Starke Rosecrans. W.S. Rosecrans, soldier, engineer, architect and inventor, was born in Kingston Township in 1819. After graduation from West Point in 1842, he served in the Engineering Corps then taught at West Point. As . . . — Map (db m117341) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Sunbury — Ohio Fallen Heroes Memorial
In remembrance of those who have fallen in the War on Terrorism The nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten Duty • Honor • Country These heroes endured all and gave all that justice among nations might prevail and . . . — Map (db m19653) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Sunbury — Purple Heart Memorial — Combat Wounded Veterans
. . . — Map (db m19657) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Sunbury — Sunbury Veterans Memorial
Honoring the veterans of all wars. In remembrance of those who never returned KIA / POW / MIA's — Map (db m18312) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Sunbury — 9-21 — Sunbury, Ohio / Sunbury Town Hall
Side A: Sunbury, Ohio “An Ohio Stagecoach Town from 1820-1873” From its beginning in 1816, Sunbury was destined to be a stagecoach town. Anticipating large numbers of stagecoach travelers in Sunbury, the town's founder, Lawrence . . . — Map (db m18304) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Westerville — 3-12 — Sharp Family Homes
Marker Front: The Sharp family homes and their locations on N. State Street and Africa Road mark an important route through Westerville on the Underground Railroad. The family patriarch, Garrit Sharp, was an original settler of Sharp's . . . — Map (db m20552) HM

67 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.