Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Delaware County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Roll of Honor image, Touch for more information
By Keith S Smith, May 6, 2013
Roll of Honor
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Aston — Aston and Middletown World War I Memorial
In Memory of James L. Killen, Jr. Jesse S. Mills Rockdale Boys who died in Action in the World War 1918 Erected by Their Neighbors of Aston & Middletown Townships [Rear of Marker] Roll of Honor In Honor of . . . — Map (db m67392) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Aston — Aston and Middletown World War II Memorial
Dedicated to the men of Aston and Middletown Townships who died in their country’s service in World War II G. Nelson Blackburn • Frederick Blackburn • Daniel Bonaventure • Lewis Butt • Raymond Chandler, Jr. • George W. Clark • . . . — Map (db m67397) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Boothwyn — Upper Chichester Township / McCaysville
Upper Chichester Township (side 1) “Chichester Liberty” was established in 1683 by William Penn. Upper Chichester township separated from Lower Chichester Township in 1759. The Upper Chichester area was claimed both . . . — Map (db m103823) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Broomall — Culbertson House
Built by noted Quaker, Jonathan Maris, c. 1750, this fieldstone farmhouse retains many early features such as a walk-in cooking fireplace and six corner fireplaces. The property was purchased by Robert Culbertson after the civil war and remained . . . — Map (db m51509) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Broomall — Maris House
The Maris family came from England in 1682 and settled in Springfield, Delaware County. Family descendants settled in Marple Township and built this fieldstone farmhouse about 1800. It remained a residence until its conversion to a business in the . . . — Map (db m67000) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Bryn Mawr — Bryn Mawr Summer School for Women Workers in Industry
A pioneering liberal arts school for working women was held here on the campus of Bryn Mawr College, 1921-1938. Led by Hilda Worthington Smith, it graduated over 1,700 students from diverse racial, ethnic and geographic backgrounds; some became . . . — Map (db m84842) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Bryn Mawr — Harriton
Built 1704 by Rowland Ellis; named by Richard Harrison, the next owner. His son-in-law, Charles Thomson, Secretary of Continental Congress, lived here 1774 until his death in 1824. — Map (db m84865) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Bryn Mawr — The Baldwin School
Originally designed as a summer resort hotel by noted architect Frank Furness, this is his last surviving building of its type. Opened in 1890 as the Bryn Mawr Hotel, it was built in a French Chateau style for the Pennsylvania Railroad. The Baldwin . . . — Map (db m84841) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Bryn Mawr — Woodrow Wilson
Educator, statesman, President. Here, at Bryn Mawr College, Wilson held his first teaching position. From 1885, when the college opened, until 1888, he taught history and politics in nearby Taylor Hall. — Map (db m84843) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Gradient (Maple Tree), 2015James Welling (b. 1951) — Dye sublimation print on aluminum

In July 2015, the Brandywine River Museum of Art commissioned James Welling to create a site-specific installation that explored the intersection of art and the environment. He photographed several locations around the grounds of the museum; . . . — Map (db m107783) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Gradient (River Walk), 2015James Welling (b. 1951) — Dye sublimation print on aluminum

In July 2015, the Brandywine River Museum of Art commissioned James Welling to create a site-specific installation that explored the intersection of art and the environment. He photographed several locations around the grounds of the museum; . . . — Map (db m107790) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Helen, 1989André Harvey (b. 1941) — Bronze

In this life-size sculpture, André Harvey captured the form and personality of a particular pig that he encountered in rural Pennsylvania. After modeling her in clay, Harvey created a small bronze sculpture of the pig, The Portrait . . . — Map (db m107786) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Miss Gratz, 1984J. Clayton Bright (b. 1946) — Bronze

Born in Philadelphia, J. Clayton Bright began sculpting in the late 1970s. With the guidance of sculptor Eric Parks, he learned the process of cast sculpture using the lost wax technique. In 1984, the artist was commissioned by Mrs. Miles . . . — Map (db m107794) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — R. B. Monument, 2004Dan Ostermiller (b. 1956) — Bronze

Born in Cheyenne, Wyoming, Dan Ostermiller focuses exclusively on animal forms, creating large-scale sculptures in bronze. The son of a taxidermist, the artist closely studied anatomy, and in his sculptures emphasizes the attributes of each . . . — Map (db m107826) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — 1704 HouseColonial home of William Brinton — National Register of Historic Places
1704 House Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the History of the United . . . — Map (db m126626) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Andrew Wyeth Studio

This repurposed late nineteenth-century schoolhouse served as Andrew Wyeth's studio from 1940 to 2008. Wyeth, one of America's best-known twentieth-century artists, created thousands of paintings and drawings here, inspired by the people, . . . — Map (db m107777) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Barns-Brinton House1714 — National Register of Historic Places
Barns-Brinton House 1714 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m94993) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Battle of Brandywine
On Sept. 11, 1777, an American force of about 11,000 men, commanded by Washington, attempted to halt a British advance into Pennsylvania. The Americans were defeated near Chadds Ford on Brandywine Creek by approximately 18,000 British and Hessian . . . — Map (db m8277) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Battle of Brandywine
The center of the American line, Wayne commanding, was near Chadds Ford and faced west. In late afternoon as Cornwallis was making the main assault on the American right wing, 3 miles north, Knyphausen's division of British and Hessians crossed . . . — Map (db m8279) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Casimir Pulaski
Polish volunteer, commanded cavalry detachment helping to cover Washington's retreat from Brandywine, Sept. 11, 1777. As brigadier general, served Sept. 1777 - March 1778 as first overall commander of the Continental Army's cavalry. He was mortally . . . — Map (db m8278) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Christian C. Sanderson1882-1966
More than any individual in his time, Christian Sanderson focused attention on the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777. He and his mother lived in Washington’s Headquarters, 1906-1922, where they entertained thousands of visitors. Leaving the . . . — Map (db m13801) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Gideon Gilpin House
At the time of the battle [of Brandywine], Gideon Gilpin, a Quaker farmer, lived here with his wife and six children. Gideon Gilpin owned 130 acres of farm land. After the battle, foraging soldiers plundered the property. The claim of losses filed . . . — Map (db m13786) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — In Memory of Those Who Served in the Armed Forces
Map (db m73824) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — John Chad's Housec. 1725 — National Register of Historic Places
JOHN CHAD’S HOUSE Proctor’s American Artillery Occupied Several Redoubts Near This House at the Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777 — Map (db m50112) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Kuerner Farm

has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America

This farmstead and its adjacent fields served as both subject and setting . . . — Map (db m107795) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — Lafayette’s Headquarters
Sept. 10th and 11th 1777 -------------------- Delaware County Historical Society Sept. 10th 1910 — Map (db m31666) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — N.C. Wyeth House and Studio

has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America

World renowned illustrator N.C. Wyeth purchased this property in 1911. . . . — Map (db m107772) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — PennsylvaniaThe Keystone State
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of The United States — Map (db m50188) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — The Barnes-Brinton House
Welcome to the Barnes-Brinton House, built in 1714 by William Barnes for use as a tavern and private home. The Chadds Ford Historical Society purchased this handsome brick building in 1969, and has authentically restored it and furnished it as a . . . — Map (db m13802) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — The Chads Springhouse
The Chads' Springhouse predates the home of John Chads across the street. It was built to be both a springhouse and a residence with a corner fireplace in the living area and a sleeping loft above. It was probably built by John Wyeth Jr., the . . . — Map (db m73827) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — The John Chads House
WELCOME to the 1725 John Chads House, the home of the ferryman and farmer for whom Chadds Ford was named. In 1968 Chadds Ford Historical Society purchased this charming bluestone building and has authentically restored it. Having fallen heir . . . — Map (db m73869) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — The National Arborist Association
and the International Society of Arboriculture jointly recognize this significant tree in this bicentennial year as having lived here at the time of the signing of our Constitution. — Map (db m8280) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chadds Ford — To Honor All Who Served in the Founding, Defense, and Preservation of Our Great Country
This Flagpole is Gratefully Dedicated by The Color Guard Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution 1988 — Map (db m73825) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Chester Fire DepartmentRoll of Honor
In appreciation of loyal service rendered in the World War Franklin Fire Company Hanley Hose Company Moyamensing Hook & Ladder Company Good Will Fire Company Felton Fire Company — Map (db m14950) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Christofer ColumbusThe Great Navigator
Whose first act upon landing in the New World, on October 12, 1492 was to give thanks to God for safe deliverance. Presented to the City of Chester in the year of our Lord 1955 by the Italian-American Associations and citizens of Chester and . . . — Map (db m14783) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Colonial Courthouse
Georgian Colonial design. Built in 1724, restored in 1920. In use for Chester County till 1786, for Delaware County, 1789-1851. Later used as City Hall. Oldest public building in continuous use in U. S. — Map (db m14949) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Delaware County, Where Pennsylvania Began
Discovered by the Dutch, settled by the Swedes. Granted to William Penn by King Charles II of England, Delaware County is the site of Penn's first landing in Pennsylvania. Here the first assembly met and adopted the frame of government honored in . . . — Map (db m14957) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Ethel Waters(1896-1977)
African American blues, jazz and gospel singer overcame poverty to become one of the highest paid stars on Broadway. Several of her songs are Grammy Hall of Fame inductees. For acting, she received both Oscar and Emmy nominations. Waters was born in . . . — Map (db m122309) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Finland
Name given to tract along Delaware River from Marcus Hook to Chester River. Grant for tract was given Captain Hans Ammundson Besk, a native of Finland by Queen Christina in 1653. Site of first Finnish settlement in America. — Map (db m81733) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — First Friends Meeting
Here in 1675, William Edmundson convened the first recorded meeting for worship of Friends (Quakers) within present Pennsylvania. This was at the home of Robert Wade, who in 1682 greeted William Penn upon his arrival in Chester. — Map (db m4091) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Green-Bank
Name given to house built on this site in 1721 by David Lloyd. At one time, it was the home of Admiral Porter and Commodore Porter with whom Admiral Farragut often visited. Razed in Feb., 1882 by "Jackson Explosion". — Map (db m81730) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — John Morton
Top Plaque John Morton Signer of the Declaration of Independence 1724 - 1777 Center Plaque John Morton Signer of the Declaration of Independence placed by Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence, Inc. Bottom Plaque John . . . — Map (db m14781) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Martin Luther King, Jr.(1929 - 1968)
King lived three years in this community and ministered under the mentorship of J. Pius Barbour. He graduated from Crozer Theological Seminary, 1951. A leader of the 1963 March on Washington, King won a Nobel Peace Prize, 1964. — Map (db m14784) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Old Swedish Burial Ground
Site of first St. Paul's Episcopal Church, built in 1702. The grave of John Morton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence is located just south of here. — Map (db m14768) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Penn Landing
Oct. 29, 1682, soon after finishing a two-months' voyage, William Penn first set foot on his colony of Pennsylvania, granted by Charles II the year before. The site is a block south. — Map (db m14961) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Rochambeau RouteNarragansett Bay to Yorktown
After an encampment of several days in Philadelphia where French troops passed in review before Congress, the French and American armies moved toward Wilmington [Delaware] by the Chester Pike known then as the King’s Highway. They encamped . . . — Map (db m66731) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company
During WWII, Sun was the largest single shipyard in the world, with over 35,000 employees. It introduced the all-welded ship, which significantly increased ship production, and th T-2 oil tanker, which became the standard at all US shipyards. Sun . . . — Map (db m14766) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Sun Village War Memorial
A Tribute to those from Sun Village who served our country in World War II • Clyde Robert Thompson • Ralph Jack Emory • James Walter Brogan • David R. Hutchinson — Map (db m66733) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Swedish Colonists
This Tablet Commemorates The Swedish Colonists Who Settled This Area In 1641 Dedicated by Princess Christina June 12, 1965 — Map (db m14951) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Viet Nam
In memory of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in Viet Nam — Map (db m14953) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Washington House
Built in 1747 on this site. Was known as "Pennsylvania Arms" until after Washington stopped here following the Battle of Brandywine in 1777. Noted stopping place on the old Post Road. Building stood here until 1952. — Map (db m14955) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — William Penn1644 - 1718
First lodged in America in "Essex House" on this site October 28, 1682 the guest of Robert Wade Here the earliest Quaker settler on this side Delaware River, 1676, purchaser of the property, then called "Printzdorp," from the earlier occupant, . . . — Map (db m14967) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Cheyney — Fanny M Jackson Coppin(1837-1913)
. . . — Map (db m52072) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Cheyney — Jimmy Carter
This Plaque Erected In Honor of JIMMY CARTER 38th President of the U.S.A. Commencement Speaker “On the Quad” May 20, 1979 — Map (db m52071) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Collingdale — In MemoriamHistoric Eden Cemetery Oldest Afro-American Public Cemetery — est. 1902
The colored soldiers of Pennsylvania who fought and died in France 1917-1918 that liberty, equality and fraternity might be established between all nations and among all peoples. — Map (db m62654) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Drexel Hill — Collen Brook Farm
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81502) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Drexel Hill — Dr. George Smith(1804-1882)
A doctor, judge, scientist, and State Senator. Smith came to Collenbrook in 1829 upon his marriage to Mary Lewis, heir to this eighteenth-century family estate. He was founder of the Delaware County Institute of Science and author of the 1862 . . . — Map (db m81501) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Drexel Hill — Lower Swedish Cabin
The only remaining log cabin of its type, among several once located on Darby Creek. Evidently built by Swedish settlers who came to this area after 1638. Used by the early Philadelphia film-maker, Siegmund Lubin, as the site for several pre-1910 . . . — Map (db m66649) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Drexel Hill — Thomas Garrett(1789-1871)
Born at Riverview, near here, Garrett was a prominent abolitionist and Underground Railroad activist. He moved to Wilmington, DE in 1822, and sent many fugitive slaves to his brothers at Riverview, Fernland Farms, and here at Thornfield. He was a . . . — Map (db m67355) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Essington — Governor Printz Park
Site of the first permanent settlement in present Pennsylvania in 1643, and of the Swedish Capitol, the Printzhof. — Map (db m14760) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Essington — Johan Printz
Governor of New Sweden 1643 - - - 1653 Printz founded here the first permanent European settlement. Built the first Capitol, church, law court. His instructions from Queen Christina became the first constitution and his coat of arms the first . . . — Map (db m14764) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Essington — Lazaretto Quarantine Station
A rare surviving example of a quarantine station, the Lazaretto was the introduction to America for many immigrants. Established in 1799 in reaction to a yellow fever epidemic, it operated until 1893 to inspect cargo and passengers for infectious . . . — Map (db m14759) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Essington — New Sweden
In 1643 the colony's Governor, Johan Printz, established its capital here on Tinicum Island. Earlier, in 1638, New Sweden had been founded at the site of present Wilmington. Although the colony was captured by the Dutch in 1655, many Swedish and . . . — Map (db m14762) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Essington — Tinicum

First permanent settlement in present-day Pennsylvania, founded 1643 by Col. Johan Printz, governor of New Sweden. Seized by the Dutch in 1655, and by the English in 1664. — Map (db m14946) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Essington — Tinicum TownshipWorld War II — 1941 - 1945
Forever Honored C. L. Beale • J. A. Kiszonas A. R. Bothner • J. P. Lawson A. Burnett • E. F. Oxner D.F.Fox • T. Pritula W. F. Gumen • J. E. Sission, Jr. E. S. Horodynski • R. S. Smith L. F. James, Jr. • L. D. Surplus S. W. Walz . . . — Map (db m14947) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Fernwood — All U.S. War Veterans Memorial
Lord, God of Hosts, be with us yet, lest we forget-lest we forget.

Dedicated to the memory of all U.S. War Veterans, who here rest in peace, awaiting the call of the supreme commander to their justly earned reward of eternal glory.

The . . . — Map (db m81587) WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Glen Mills — Colonial Gristmill — Glen Mills, PA
The stone gristmill at this site was built in 1704 by Nathaniel Newlin, a Quaker who emigrated from Ireland in 1683. The mill, restored to working order, is a fine example of a vital segment of Colonial economic life. — Map (db m72347) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Glen Mills — Glen Mills
An early industrial village. John Taylor built Thornbury (later Sarum) Forge here ca. 1740. He erected Pennsylvania’s first iron-slitting mill here in 1746: this was acquired in 1836 by the Wilcox family for its Glen Mills paper operations. Until . . . — Map (db m48155) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Glen Mills — Ivy Mills
A pioneer in this area's industrial and religious development, Thomas Willcox built a paper mill here on the West Branch of Chester Creek in 1729. It became a major supplier to the print shop of Benjamin Franklin; by 1776 it was supplying paper for . . . — Map (db m82950) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Glen Mills — The Newlin Mill Complex1704 Colonial Gristmill — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1983
The Newlin Mill Complex was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on March 9, 1983 by the U.S. Department of the Interior as one of the “Nation’s Cultural Resources Worthy of . . . — Map (db m72375) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Havertown — Lynnewood ParkWW II War Memorial
In Honor of the Men and Women of LYNNEWOOD PARK ~ Who Served Their Country In World War II — Map (db m120857) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Havertown — Old Haverford Friends Meeting — William Penn worshiped here in 1699
This site has been a center for Friends’ activities since 1684. The older section of the current structure, since remodeled, was built in 1700 as an addition to the original log meetinghouse where William Penn worshiped in the eleventh month . . . — Map (db m66654) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Ithan — Radnor Friends Meeting House
Built 1718, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m81491) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Ithan — Radnor Meeting House
A center of Friends' activities since 1686. The second house, built about 1721, served as an officers' house and a hospital for Valley Forge encampment. — Map (db m81490) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), King of Prussia — Virginia
This marker is placed at the encampment site of regiments of the Commonwealth of Virginia to commemorate the officers and men of Virginia which area, at that time, encompassed what is now the state of West Virginia. These Virginians were wintered . . . — Map (db m77118) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Lansdowne — Henry Albertson Subdivision Historic District

The Henry Albertson Subdivision Historic District includes 71 houses built between 1884 and circa 1940. The district boundaries correspond to the residential subdivision of Henry Albertson's (1834-1895) 24-acre estate during Lansdowne's early . . . — Map (db m102726) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Lansdowne — Lansdowne World War Monument

The Lansdowne World War Monument honors those Lansdowne High School students and Lansdowne residents who died while serving in the military during World War I. 1917-1918

This granite Beaux-Arts style monument, designed by Lansdowne . . . — Map (db m102724) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Lansdowne — Tatiana Proskouriakoff(1909-1985)
American scholar and archaeologist who published a paper that revolutionized the world’s understanding of Mayan hieroglyphs. Her groundbreaking work influenced archaeologists’ interpretation of cultural sites. Her accolades include the 1962 Kidder . . . — Map (db m116993) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Lansdowne — War Memorial

Erected in lasting memory of the men and women of Fernwood who served in the wars of their country

Dedicated July 4, 1948 — Map (db m102719) WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Lima — John J. Tyler Arboretum(Painter Arboretum)
This land grant, by William Penn to Thomas Minshall in 1681, was continuously held by the same family until left by Laura Tyler, as a memorial to her husband, John J. Tyler. Famous for its unusual trees, planted 1840 to 1860 by Minshall and Jacob . . . — Map (db m91778) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Lima — Joshua Pusey(1842-1906) — Inventor of the paper matchbook
In 1892, inventor Pusey received a U.S. patent for the paper matchbook. Three years later he sold his patent to the Diamond Match Company, and soon millions of matchbooks were being produced each year. A Civil War veteran and longtime Philadelphia . . . — Map (db m71906) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Linwood — Lower Chichester Veterans Memorial
Honoring all branches of the military and the men and women who served In Memoriam World War I Veterans "We honor you" In Memoriam World War II Veterans "You saved the world" "We honor you" In Memoriam Korean War . . . — Map (db m39995) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Llanerch — The Battle of Llanerch Crossing
The rail lines that met and crossed at Llanerch Junction in the 19th century transformed fields into suburban neighborhoods. In the 20th century, the corner where West Chester Pike and Darby Road meet was a gas station and car dealership, before . . . — Map (db m102755) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Llanerch — The Birth of Llanerch

Comfortable and reliable rail transportation to and from Philadelphia encouraged the development and growth of suburban neighborhoods in Haverford Township. The large sign behind the trolley car instructs perspective buyers of homes in Llanerch . . . — Map (db m102754) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Llanerch — The Llanerch Car Barn

Inside the Llanerch Power Station, Wilbur Hall photographed workers waiting to shovel coal into the massive boilers powering the Hamilton Corliss steam engine [photo at top left]. Electricity generated here to run the trolleys also lighted many . . . — Map (db m102751) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — American Viscose Co.
The first company in North America to successfully manufacture an artificial fiber (rayon). Plant employees, many of whom were women, lived in Viscose Village, a planned community built in 1912-1915 designed by Ballinger & Perrot of Phila. in the . . . — Map (db m81757) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Eastern Oysters(Crassostrea virginica) — Is Water Quality Improving?

[Excerpts from the Is Water Quality Improving? marker]

The Eastern oyster has a long history as being a commercially and ecologically important species in the Delaware Estuary. As far back as the early 1800s, Eastern oysters found in . . . — Map (db m102824) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — James B. ‘Mickey’ Vernon
Born Marcus Hook, Pa. April 22, 1918 U. S. Navy Veteran Two-Time American League Batting Champion 1946 • .353 1953 • .337 Played in Major leagues in Four Decades Seven-time American League All-Star Lifetime BA of .286 2,495 Hits .... 1,311 RBIs . . . — Map (db m14976) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Korean War Memorial1950 - 1955

Fallen While Serving Dominic Cisco • John Gross Rance Dodson • Cecil Grier, Jr. Robert N. Myers

[Honor Roll of Veterans] [Not transcribed] — Map (db m102782) WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Marcus Hook
First port of call for Philadelphia shipping. First settled by Swedes, it was named by the Dutch, 1655-64, Marreties Hoeck. — Map (db m14973) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Marcus Hook First Ward Veterans Memorial
Dedicated To Those Of The First Ward who served their country to preserve the four essential human freedoms 1941 World War II 1945 Armed Forces [and] Merchant Marine [Honor Roll of Names] 1950 Korean Conflict 1953 . . . — Map (db m39999) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Marcus Hook World War I Memorial
In honor of our brave heroes who answered their country's call in the World War and in the name of God achieved victory - thus perpetuated The Freedom of Mankind [Honor Roll of those killed in action or died in service] John . . . — Map (db m39997) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Marcus Hook World War II Veterans
Erected by the citizens of Marcus Hook in memory of and in honor of the heroic men and women as a tribute to the self sacrifice they displayed in our country's service in World War II 1941- 1945 (List of Names) — Map (db m14974) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Mary Gillis TroostIn Memoriam
Erected to the memory of Mary Gillis Troost who died Dec. 27, 1872 by the Women's Christian Assn of Kansas City, Mo. In appreciation of her gift to the Gillis Orphans Home — Map (db m40002) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Seamen's HotelCirca 1795

[Title is text] — Map (db m102681) HM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — The Factory and the VillageThe American Viscose Company in Marcus Hook
Best known as the company that developed “artificial silk,” later known as “rayon,” the American Viscose Company began construction of its Marcus Hook operation in 1912. Patented by English chemists in 1894, rayon was used . . . — Map (db m81779) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — The Soldier and Sailor Walk Memorial

Dedicated to the men buried at Saint Martin's Church Cemetery (1699) who bravely served their country in the following wars:

Revolutionary War 1775-1783 War of 1812 1812-1815 Mexican War 1846-1848 Civil War 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m102614) WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — The Traveling Vietnam Veteran's Memorial

The Traveling Vietnam Veteran's Memorial "The Wall that Heals," was exhibited at Market Square Memorial Park, Marcus Hook Pennsylvania on October 7-10, 1999 through the coordinated efforts of the Borough of Marcus Hook and Sunoco, . . . — Map (db m102811) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Vietnam War Memorial

Delaware County Roll of Honor Vietnam 1965 - 1972

[Roll of Honored Dead]

Dedicated October 10, 1992

"This memorial is also dedicated to those Vietnam Veterans that were killed in Vietnam, but who died at home"

[Roll of . . . — Map (db m102812) WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Vietnam War Memorial

This monument erected in memory of the men and women who served in the Vietnam War

Dedicated Memorial Day May 30, 1983 — Map (db m102814) WM

Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Anna Howard Shaw(1847-1919)
A doctor and theologian, Shaw was national lecturer for the National American Women’s Suffrage Association and a colleague of Susan B. Anthony. As head of the Women’s Committee of the US Council of National Defense she coordinated all women’s . . . — Map (db m91779) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Delaware County
Formed September 26, 1789 out of Chester County. Named for the Delaware River and site of William Penn's first entry into Pennsylvania, 1682. Old Chester Courthouse (1724) is one of America's early public buildings. County seat, Media, incorporated . . . — Map (db m83368) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Delaware County Courthouse
Originally part of the farm property of Sarah Briggs in 1848. The site was laid out by Joseph Fox and purchased by the Delaware County Commissioners in 1849 for the erection of a courthouse. The structure, whose construction plans cost $50, was . . . — Map (db m83369) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Delaware County Courthouse
Delaware County was constituted September 26, 1789. This courthouse was built in 1850 and rebuilt in 1913. It is the sixth of this judicial district in line of direct succession from the first court house in Pennsylvania. — Map (db m83371) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — McCain Rally
On September 22, 2008, Arizona Senator John McCain, Presidential candidate and heroic decorated veteran of the Vietnam Conflict, held a campaign rally here in the Courthouse Square along with his Vice Presidential running mate, Alaska Governor Sarah . . . — Map (db m83372) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Minquas’ Path — Susquehannock Indian trading route
Near here the trading path leading westward to the Susquehannock Indians crossed Ridley Creek. Thousands of beaver skins were sent yearly to the first Dutch and Swedish posts on the Delaware by this route. — Map (db m72349) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Ronald Reagan
On this site, Ronald Reagan, the fortieth President of the United States, delivered and address to the citizens of Media and Delaware County during his presidential re-election campaign on October 29, 1984 — Map (db m83370) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Rose Valley Historic DistrictHedgerow Theatre — National Register of Historic Places
Hutton’s Grist Mill, c. 1840 Artsman’s Hall, 1905-1923 Hedgerow Theatre, 1923 Part of the Rose Valley Historic District Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by The United States Department . . . — Map (db m72372) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Soldiers and Sailors of Delaware County Memorial
In grateful remembrance of the Soldiers and Sailors of Delaware County who fought for the unity of this Republic 1861-1865. This monument is dedicated that future generations may cherish the principles of civil and . . . — Map (db m83373) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — The Great Trail — Susquehannock Indian Beaver Road & Trade Route
The Great Trail Minquas or Susquehanna Indians Susquehanna to the Schuylkill Crossed Ridley Creek at Long Point 484 Yards to the south Thousands of Beaver Skins Yearly Were carried down to the first Dutch and Swedish . . . — Map (db m72383) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — The Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades
Founded in 1888 by philanthropist Isaiah V. Williamson to teach underprivileged young men “some trade, free of expense” via a character ~ based curriculum. With trade apprenticeships disappearing in the US in the late 19th century, it . . . — Map (db m71934) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Newtown Square — Bartram Bridgec. 1860 — The last remaining covered bridge in Delaware County, PA
. . . — Map (db m92214) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Newtown Square — Daniel Williamson Housec. 1692
Daniel acquired 450 acre tract From Thomas Rudyard in 1692, Main House built in three sections, 1692, 1794, 1801. East end oldest. Huge walk in fireplace — Map (db m96011) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Newtown Square — Square Inn1742
SQUARE INN 1742 Public House of Entertainment Innkeeper was John West father of artist Benjamin West. Located in Penn’s Town Square. Operated until 1771. — Map (db m92198) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Prospect Park — Morton HomesteadMorton Homestead State Park — Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1970
Begun about 1654 by Morton Mortonson, ancestor of John Morton, Pennsylvania signer of the Declaration in 1776. [ghosted] Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission — Map (db m68585) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Radnor Township — Woodcrestcirca 1901 - 1903
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m28108) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Ridley Park — John Morton
Site of the birthplace of John Morton (1724-1777) signer of the Declaration of Independence. As delegate to the Continental Congress, his ballot, with that of Franklin and James Wilson, committed Pennsylvania to the cause of independence by one vote. — Map (db m14948) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Rose Valley — Mildred Scott Olmsted(1890-1990)
An antiwar campaigner and women's and civil rights activist. Olmsted traveled the world on behalf of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. WILPF's advocacy was consistent with her Quaker beliefs. She headed the national WILPF . . . — Map (db m122319) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Springfield — J. Edgar Thompson(1808~1874)
Here was born the first chief engineer, Pennsylvania Railroad, 1847~52, and its third president, 1852~74. He was responsible for construction of the main line, Harrisburg to Pittsburgh, and for the system’s expansion to the Mississippi River. — Map (db m68587) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Springfield — Springfield Friends Meeting
Site of Friends Meeting since 1686. Present building erected 1851. A school and library were established here in 1832. Benjamin West, noted American artist, attended this Meeting when he was a boy. — Map (db m81503) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Thornton — The Historic Village of Thorntonof Thornbury Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania — Established 1687
A crossroads village. Thornton served as a rest stop for travelers between York and Philadelphia, providing livery, blacksmith, and wheelwright services as well as Inn accommodations at the Historic “Yellow House” built by George Gray, . . . — Map (db m45532) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Thornton — Yellow HouseIn the Village of Thornton Founded 1687 — Thornbury Township, Delaware County, PA
This Building has served from its beginning in the early 1700’s as a Country Inn, General Store, Field Hospital for the Revolutionary soldiers in the Battle of the Brandywine Sept. 1777, oldest U.S. Post office in continuous operation since its . . . — Map (db m45534) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Upland — Caleb Pusey
An English-born Quaker and lastmaker, Pusey (1651-1727) purchased 250 acres from William Penn in 1681. As agent and grist mill manager for him, and colonial office holder, he was visited by Penn here. — Map (db m81740) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Upland — Martin Luther King, Jr.(1929-1968)
Minister & civil rights leader. Nobel Peace Prize laureate, 1964. At Crozer Theological Seminary here, earned his Bachelor of Divinity, 1951. King's three years at Crozer were a key period in shaping his philosophy of nonviolent social change. — Map (db m14970) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Upland — Pennock Log House
Build in 1790 by Caleb Pusey's great great granddaughter, Lydia Jackson Pennock, and William Pennock in Springfield Township and moved here in 1965 by The Friends of the Caleb Pusey House, Inc. — Map (db m81742) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Upland — The Caleb Pusey HouseBuilt in 1683
Restoration by The Friends of the Caleb Pusey House Inc. This is the only building still standing which can claim documented association with the proprietor, William Penn, and which he is known to have visited on several occasions. — Map (db m81745) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Upland — The Schoolhouse Museum
Built in 1849 as a schoolhouse by John Price Crozer. Purchased in 1966 by the Pusey and Worley Families. Restored by The Friends of the Caleb Pusey House, Inc. 1975& 1976 — Map (db m81746) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Upper Darby — Abraham L. Pennock
This prominent abolitionist and patron of the arts resided here at Hoodland until his death in 1868. The home had been built in 1823 by his father-in-law, John Sellers II. A leader in the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society, Abraham Pennock also was . . . — Map (db m81494) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Upper Darby — Sellers Hall
First permanent home in Upper Darby, built about 1684 by Samuel Sellers who occupied it with his bride, Anna Gibbons. Their son, Samuel Sellers, Jr., was the first of many family members active in mechanical and scientific pursuits. Birthplace of . . . — Map (db m81496) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Valley Forge National Park — In Memory of Unknown Soldiers
In memory of unknown soldiers buried at Valley Forge 1777 - 1778 — Map (db m55883) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Wallingford — Leiper Railway
Built, 1809-10, by Thomas Leiper; surveyed by John Thompson. It was the first railway in Pennsylvania, and the first in America to be surveyed. The railway was used to transport stone from quarries on Crum Creek to the landing on Ridley Creek, a . . . — Map (db m51805) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Wayne — St. David's Church
Erected 1715 by Welsh Episcopalians, renovated 1871. Commemorated by Longfellow's poem. Final burial place of Gen. Anthony Wayne, whose remains were brought from Erie in 1809. — Map (db m81489) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Wayne — Thomas Moore House1783
Built by Thomas Moore, Stucco over Stone. Built in Three Sections, Middle Part has Datestone MTM 1783, Original Fireplaces, Paneling, Attic Floor Covered with Mortar. At one time used as a Trading Post. — Map (db m113085) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Wayne — Wayne Natatorium
Among the largest open-air in-ground swimming pools in the US when it opened here in 1895, it measured 500 feet by 100 feet. The spring-fed pool hosted National Swimming Association championships in the late 19th century. Although female swimmers . . . — Map (db m83377) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), West Chester — Dilworthtown — The Battle of Brandywine Ended Here
Dilworthtown The Battle of Brandywine, September 11, 1777, ended a short distance southeast of this place. __________ Erected by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Chester and Delaware County Historical Societies . . . — Map (db m67281) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Yeadon — The Hilldale Athletic Club(The Darby Daisies)
This baseball team, whose home was here at Hilldale Park, won the Eastern Colored League championship three times and the 1925 Negro League World Series. Darby fielded Negro League teams from 1910 to 1932. Notable players included baseball hall of . . . — Map (db m81500) HM

136 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.