This historic bridge was an important two-way traffic bridge over the Elm Fork of the Trinity River for growing automobile traffic in Denton County in the 1920s. The bridge is one of the only two accessible iron and steel bridges in Denton County . . . — — Map (db m92574) HM
Organized in 1883 at the Willow Springs School, this congregation was known as Big Valley Baptist Church during the early years of its existence. A Sunday School, Willow Springs Union Sabbath School, was begun in 1886. E.C. Bramblett served as the . . . — — Map (db m73770) HM
Beulah A. Harriss (1889-1977) moved to Denton in 1914 from Nebraska to become the first women’s physical education teacher at North Texas State Normal College, now University of North Texas (UNT). With a degree from the University of Nebraska in . . . — — Map (db m92193) HM
Created April 11, 1846
from Fannin County
Organized July 13, 1846
with Denton as county seat
Both town and county are
named in honor of
John B. Denton
Pioneer preacher, lawyer
and Indian fighter
First county seat . . . — — Map (db m121786) HM
Built 1896-97. Fifth courthouse for Denton County. First was at Alton, second at Pinckneyville. Third (in Denton) was burned in crime charged to a member of the Sam Bass Gang of outlaws.
Walls are native limestone; columns, Burnet County . . . — — Map (db m121787) HM
Edna Westbrook Trigg (1868-1946) was the first county home demonstration agent appointed in Texas in 1915, serving in Denton County from February 1916 through December 1937. She was named Denton County home demonstration emeritus from January 1, . . . — — Map (db m121785) HM
Born in Tennessee July 26, 1806, came to Texas in January, 1836, as a Methodist circuit rider. Killed in the Village Creek Indian fight May 24, 1841 in what is now Tarrant County. Named for Gen. Edward H. Tarrant who commanded the volunteers. Denton . . . — — Map (db m121788) HM
Erected by Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of our Confederate soldiers, who in heroic self-sacrifice and devoted loyalty gave their manhood and their lives to the South in her hour of need.
(right column) . . . — — Map (db m108519) WM
Pioneers settled this locality in the 1840s. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton County - one of several carved from the Peters Colony grant. After trying other sites, the voters in 1856 accepted for county seat this tract donated by Hiram . . . — — Map (db m121784) HM
The history of this small community cemetery dates to the 1850s, before Denton was selected as county seat. The site contains graves of early pioneers of the Lewisville-Flower Mound area.
Settlers included Nehemiah Wade Boyd (1823-1856), his . . . — — Map (db m105529) HM
Located in western Denton County, Plainview Cemetery served as a burial ground for early settlers in the area. The Plainview community began around 1878 when the families of Gideon Kimbrough (1833-1923) and William Kimbrough (1824-1912) and their . . . — — Map (db m77371) HM
The Circle T Ranch was established by J. Glenn Turner, a prominent Texas attorney in 1952. Mr. Turner was an avid outdoorsman and rancher who raised Black Angus and Charolaise cattle, as well as Tennessee Walking horses. Being a successful . . . — — Map (db m107373) HM