Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Douglas County Colorado Historical Markers

 
Bicycles image, Touch for more information
By Charles T. Harrell, July 3, 2011
Bicycles
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Good Roads in Colorado / The Great North-South Highway
Even before people began driving automobiles in Colorado, they clamored for good roads. In the late 1880s men, women, and children of all backgrounds jumped on breezy bicycles known as “velocipedes” or “Wheels” but cursed the . . . — Map (db m46118) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Castle Rock
The founders of Castle Rock platted their town beneath a prominent rock outcrop of the same name in 1874, and proudly advertised it as a year-round resort, knowing the value of beautiful scenery to attract settlers and tourists. But even greater . . . — Map (db m49803) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — City Hotel
This property has been designated as a Historic Landmark by the Castle Rock Historic Preservation Board City Hotel 1874 — Map (db m120797) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Secondary plaque This property has been designated as a Historic . . . — Map (db m105505) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Douglas
The reasons for Douglas County’s popularity in the late twentieth century-rolling landscapes, pastoral scenery, and the proximity to a big city-also attracted late-nineteenth century settlers. In November 1861, territorial legislators created . . . — Map (db m46117) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Founders Village
Founders' Founding Frank X. Flierl and Frank Hagg were neighboring homesteaders on the southern portion of the land that would become Founders Village in the late 20th century. They, like many other residents of the Ridge Road-Lower Lake . . . — Map (db m120794) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Keystone Hotel
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Second plaque This property has been designated as a Historic . . . — Map (db m120800) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — The Rock / Gray Gold
A geologic phenomenon known as a “glowing avalanche” formed Castle Rock and the other buttes of Douglas County 36.7 million years ago. A volcanic eruption near Mount Princeton, about 95 miles southwest of here, spewed a frothy, gleaming . . . — Map (db m46142) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Victoria’s House
This property has been designated as a Historic Landmark by the Castle Rock Historic Preservation Board Victoria's House 1889 — Map (db m120799) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Franktown — 57 — Franktown
This tablet is the property of the State of Colorado —— Franktown Named for J. Frank Gardiner, a pioneer who settled here in 1859. First known as "California Ranch," it was a way . . . — Map (db m96174) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Franktown — 288 — Russellville - History of Franktown / Franktown Country - Timber Industry
Panel 1 Russellville For a few exciting months, Russellville felt like Colorado's gold-rush capital. The town rose five miles southeast of here in late 1858, after William Green Russell discovered a few gleaming . . . — Map (db m97969) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Larkspur — Southwest Rises The Summit of Pikes Peak
This mountain, 14,110 feet above the sea and the most celebrated peak in America, is named for the explorer, Capt. Zubulon M. Pike, who saw it first in 1806. He attempted to climb it, failed and reported it unclimbable. Ascended in 1820 by Dr. Edwin . . . — Map (db m4846) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — Ave Maria Chapelat Matthew's Episcopal Church — 19580 E. Pilgrim Place
Responding to the growing religious needs of the community, G. W. Parker sold a piece of land on the north side of today's Mainstreet to build a chapel. Ten months later the foundation was laid for the Ave Maria Catholic Church. The first Mass was . . . — Map (db m97974) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — 559 — Cherry Creek CampDouglas County 20 Mile Camp
In 1846 the unsettled area that is now Parker, Colorado, consisted of wild open plains, inhabited only by local Indian tribes and passing trappers and traders. The Crosby-Brown Company, otherwise known as the Mississippi Saints, and detachments of . . . — Map (db m97420) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — Dedication to Parker's Most Significant Early Doctor
Celebrated as Parker's "most significant early doctor," Dr. Walter Heath was born in 1867 and died in 1912. In addition to serving patients in Parker, Dr. Heath was known for making "patient house calls" via carriage and then . . . — Map (db m97576) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — Hood House — Town of Parker Landmark
In September of 1911, Fredrick B. Hood had come to Parker not only as a stock holder in the newly formed Parker State Bank, but to serve as the bank's cashier and manager as well. He purchased land on what was then called Rural Road (now Pikes Peak . . . — Map (db m97575) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — Newcomb House10965 Pikes Peak Drive — Town of Parker Landmark
In 1910, newlyweds James and Victoria Newcomb bought this property from George Parker for $150. In January of 1911 they built their first home, which is the central portion of the present house. Reputedly, it was built quickly, "up and all closed . . . — Map (db m97972) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — 54 — Twenty Mile House
This tablet is the property of the State of Colorado — — Due West ¼ mile stood the TWENTY MILE HOUSE (Twenty miles from Denver) First house built in Parker, 1864. On the . . . — Map (db m96176) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.