“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Douglas County Wisconsin Historical Markers

Brule River Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Fehrenbach, August 14, 2012
Brule River Marker
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Brule — 170 — Brule River
The Brule River flows in the former channel of a larger river which once flowed in the opposite direction and drained melting ice from glacial lake Duluth. The receding glacier created Lake Superior and also carved the valley now occupied by the . . . — Map (db m58502) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Brule — Daniel Greysolon Sieur Dulhut
In June and July 1680 Daniel Greysolon Sieur Dulhut “Gentleman of the King’s Guard” Soldier, Explorer, Trader, and Governor accompanied by four Frenchmen LaMaitre, Bellegrade, Masson, and Pepin, passed up the Brule River, . . . — Map (db m58504) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Gordon — 56 — Antoine Gordon
In September 1860, Antoine Gordon arrived from Madeline Island and established a trading post at the junction of the St. Croix and Eau Claire rivers. This land had long been the summer home of the Chippewa Indians who used the Brule-St. Croix . . . — Map (db m43698) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Lake Nebagamon — 151 — Evergreen Park Cottage Sanatorium
Here, in 1903, Dr. W.B. Hopkins, Cumberland, opened the first tuberculosis sanatorium in Wisconsin. He built an office and three one-story frame buildings with screen sides – the men’s ward, the women’s ward and a dining hall. Hopkins . . . — Map (db m72193) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Poplar — 64 — Major "Dick" Bong"America's Ace of Aces"
It was here that Major Richard I. Bong was born, received his education, and grew to manhood. After attending Superior State College where he received his first pilot training, he joined the U.S. Army Air Corps on May 29, 1941. Assigned to the New . . . — Map (db m72259) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Poplar — Major Richard Ira Bong1920 – 1945
This Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter, through the efforts of General George C. Kenney, was donated by the United States Air Force in memory of Major Richard I. Bong. Major Bong a native of Poplar, was credited with destroying 40 Japanese aircraft in . . . — Map (db m43433) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Solon Springs — 120 — Brule–St. Croix Portage
The Brule and St. Croix rivers provide the natural water highway between Lake Superior and the Upper Mississippi. Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut, in 1680 was the first white man to use this passage. Traveling from Prairie du Chien in 1766, . . . — Map (db m43476) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Solon Springs — Brule-St. Croix Portage
Approximately one mile northeast of this point, a continental divide separates the watersheds of the Brule and St. Croix Rivers. The Brule flows north to Lake Superior and the St. Croix flows southerly to the Mississippi. A time worn trail connects . . . — Map (db m23482) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Solon Springs — The Brule St. Croix Portage
Upper Lake St. Croix end of trail, discovered 1680. Indians, voyageurs, explorers, missionaries, traders and pioneers travelled this path from the waters of the Great Lakes to those of the Mississippi. To all who pass this way . . . — Map (db m58505) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), South Range — Davidson Windmill
Built by Finnish immigrant and homesteader, Jacob (Tapola) Davidson, it served Old-Brule and Lakeside in the South Shore region from 1904 to 1926. Constructed of native materials, it was used for milling locally grown grains for both animal and . . . — Map (db m76206) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — Burial Ground of the Fond du Lac Band
. . . — Map (db m47131) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 192 — Burlington Northern Ore Docks
These docks, the largest in the world, consist of three structures of concrete and steel. The longest dock is 2244 feet long, 80 feet high, and contains 374 individual pockets which can hold 100,000 long tons of ore, or 7 average trains of 205 cars . . . — Map (db m147249) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — Lake Superior
"By the shores of Gitche Gumee, By the shining Big-Sea-Water,"                                           Longfellow Lake Superior - the largest body of fresh water in the world - almost chemically pure - mean . . . — Map (db m47021) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 210 — Northwest Portal of Wisconsin
Over millions of years, the forces of nature have given Northwest Wisconsin some of the finest scenery in the world. The most striking feature is Lake Superior, largest freshwater lake in the world and the "Gitche Gumee" of Henry Wadsworth . . . — Map (db m43390) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 15 — Old Stockade Site
The Sioux uprising in Minnesota during the Summer of 1862, culminating in the New Ulm Massacre, caused great alarm in Superior. A Committee of Safety was chosen, a Home Guard organized, and a stockade built on the bay shore here. An inventory of all . . . — Map (db m33950) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 205 — S.S. MeteorLast of the Whalebacks
The Great Lakes whaleback fleet was the revolutionary result of Capt. Alexander McDougall's attempts to improve conventional ship design. Between 1888 and 1898, 43 whalebacks were launched and became forerunners of the bulk fleet on the Great Lakes . . . — Map (db m31632) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 213 — Summer White House - 1928
On May 31, 1928, President Calvin Coolidge accepted former Senator Irvine Lenroot's invitation to spend the summer in the Superior area. Henry Clay Pierce had offered Cedar Island Lodge, part of a 4,000 acre Brule River estate, to serve as living . . . — Map (db m52127) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 231 — The Superior Entry
The Superior Entry is the only natural opening through the longest fresh water sandbar in the world. Sand deposits from the lake and the rivers created the bar forming the harbor about 3000 years ago. The Entry, as first charted in 1861, was . . . — Map (db m43395) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Superior — 320 — The University of Wisconsin-Superior
Authorized by the legislature in 1893, the University of Wisconsin-Superior opened its doors in 1896 as the state's seventh Normal School to train teachers, drawing most of its students from ten northern Wisconsin counties. The original building, . . . — Map (db m43388) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2020