This memorial is dedicated to all Augusta service men and women who have served in peacetime and in war. Especially honored are those listed on these stones, who gave their lives for their country and for our freedom. Lest we forget, they gave up . . . — — Map (db m53257) HM
Water-powered grist mills ground the wheat that dominated Wisconsins Civil War-era economy. Built in 1864, this mill was one of several serving area farmers. After wheat production moved westward, owners adapted the building to mill flour and grind . . . — — Map (db m21228) HM
Highway 12 is dedicated to the brave soldiers of the Iron Brigade who fought in the Civil War of 1861-1865. Of the 672 infantry brigades in the Union Army, the Iron Brigade, composed of the 2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana and 24th Michigan . . . — — Map (db m50807) HM
When Ojibwa Indians ceded their Chippewa Valley lands to the United States in 1837, Yankee and Canadian lumbermen rushed westward to explore the region's vast white pine forests. At this meeting plasce of two rivers, Eau Claire provided an . . . — — Map (db m74636) HM
For 19th century lumbermen, the key to logging in the Chippewa Valley was getting pine logs to go where they wanted them to go. In 1879, the Eau Claire Dells Improvement Company dammed the Chippewa River and created a huge log holding pond, . . . — — Map (db m74714) HM
There was a steam locomotive here. The good news is that the venerable SOO Line #2719 engine still exists and is in the care of the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, MN. It is in working order and has operated on the Museum's North Shore . . . — — Map (db m125789) HM
This house was built in 1885-1889 by Addison Cutter, owner of a shoe and boot factory. It is of Queen Anne style reminiscent of 18th century England and Classical Revival architecture.
Designated July Twenty-Two . . . — — Map (db m75820) HM
I am prepared to sell business and residence Lots, Farming or Pine Lands, which I offer upon the most reasonable terms, or receive in exchange labor, oxen, horses, lumber, logs, or personal property of whatever name or nature. Call and see . . . — — Map (db m74866) HM
The 1849 Ojibwe delegation to Washington, D.C. carried this pictograph depicting Ojibwe clans with their eyes and hearts connected to the chain of wild rice lakes south of Lake Superior. Drawing by Seth Eastman from Henry Schoolcraft's . . . — — Map (db m75477) HM
Built in 1874 by William H. Bailey, this home is representative of Late 19th Century Mid-Western Farm style. Mr. & Mrs. Josiah E. Cass purchased the home in 1886. Present Owners are Mr. & Mrs. Douglas Curtis.
Approved March . . . — — Map (db m75800) HM
Bryan A. Buffington built this Queen Anne house in 1890. Buffington, a prominent lumberman and business leader, served the city as an alderman and mayor and was also elected to the Wisconsin General Assembly. Upon the death of . . . — — Map (db m76053) HM
Carson Park, often referred to as "the island", is in fact a 134 acre peninsula nearly surrounded by Half Moon Lake. The lake is an excellent geological example of an oxbow lake formed when a meander of the Chippewa River was cut off during glacial . . . — — Map (db m46627) HM
The Carson Park Baseball Stadium is a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project constructed in 1936-37. The stadium was built at a cost of $60,000. The sandstone used for the stadium was quarried at . . . — — Map (db m45571) HM
Built in 1899, a significant Colonial Revival style designed by architect Cass Gilbert. Charles Ingram was the son of one of Eau Claire's prominent lumbermen, O. H. Ingram. He held a number of positions in his father's Empire . . . — — Map (db m43503) HM
An excellent example of early twentieth century Neo-Gothic Church architecture. Designed by the Minneapolis firm of Purcell, Feick & Elmslie. Constructed over the period from 1910-1916.
Designated April Eighteen . . . — — Map (db m75531) HM
This building was designed by an Eau Claire native George Awsumb, a practicing architect in Chicago, Illinois. Contractor, Hoeppner-Bartlett Company of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Built 1916.
Approved June Twenty-Four . . . — — Map (db m74793) HM
In the mid-19th century, the Chippewa and Eau Claire Rivers brought people to the confluence but also kept them apart. As settlers arrived, three villages developed where the rivers met. Newcomers had to choose the riverbank where they would live . . . — — Map (db m43561) HM
Built Circa 1867, with an addition in 1873. Completely renovated in 1889 by I.K. Kerr, to the present Victorian style. This includes the stick style porches and pulpit style stair landing.
Approved October Sixteen
Nineteen . . . — — Map (db m76444) HM
"I had no idea there was so much business done here. In just one mill where Charley is at work, they saw one hundred thousand feet a day. It keeps Charley pretty busy. He don't get any time to rest except Sunday."
From the letters . . . — — Map (db m76025) HM
William Dean built this Queen Anne style house in 1885. Dean was Vice-President of Phoenix Manufacturing. The house was later purchased by Michael Griffin who served as a City Attorney and was elected to the State Senate. Upon . . . — — Map (db m75673) HM
Otto and Lina Demmler built this in 1887. Otto, a German immigrant started a floral business in 1885 with his brother Edmund and built six greenhouses for the business, which were located south of the house. Otto died in 1927 . . . — — Map (db m76106) HM
Donald I. Boyd arrived in Eau Claire in 1929 as the new high school band conductor. Almost immediately there was an improvement in the quality of the high school band. Although it was the middle of The Great Depression, the band's popularity enabled . . . — — Map (db m43564) HM
Native Americans developed a network of trails and routes later used by the British and French to explore the vast wilderness of the Chippewa Valley. An economy based on the trade of furs, tools, food, clothing, blankets, jewelry and . . . — — Map (db m75500) HM
Eau Claire grew up overnight. Lumbermen rushed to exploit its prime location at the junction of the Chippewa and Eau Claire Rivers. Gilbert Chapman and Joseph Thorpe began sawing timber on the banks of the Eau Claire River in 1857. A few miles away, . . . — — Map (db m43562) HM
If this were summer 1856, you would be standing in Chippewa County. June 11 that year, the Chippewa County Board gave up this block for a Courthouse Square. So, when Governor Bashford signed the act carving Eau Claire County from Chippewa County on . . . — — Map (db m43485) HM
This cemetery is the final resting place for residents of the former Eau Claire County Asylum, County Home and County Poor Farm. Although little is known about them, most residents worked on the farm, which offered them "wholesome employment."
. . . — — Map (db m75018) HM
Dedicated to Those Who Served and Died
May Their Sacrifice Forever Inspire Freedom
I was that which others did not want to be, I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do. I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and . . . — — Map (db m79126) WM
Built 1903. Architects, Patton and Miller, Chicago, Illinois. Contractor, Hoeppner-Bartlett Company of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. This building was a gift to the City of Eau Claire by Andrew Carnegie.
Approved June . . . — — Map (db m74658) HM
By 1889, the Wisconsin Central Railroad (which became the Soo Line Railroad in the early 1900s) acquired the Chippewa Falls and Western Railway, giving them access to Eau Claire from Chippewa Falls. The railroad then built freight and . . . — — Map (db m75479) HM
This Queen Anne style house was built by Eliza Parrant in 1881. Several houses in the vicinity replicate many stylistic features of this house, which was sold to Thomas McDermott in 1899. McDermott was a timber scout for the . . . — — Map (db m43502) HM
Emma and Benjamin Stephanson constructed this Tudor-style bungalow in 1930 and lived in the house for forty years until 1970. Mr. Stephanson worked at Huebsch Laundry, a locally owned business that was located along the Eau . . . — — Map (db m73962) HM
First Congregational Church
Established 1856. Erected 1919-1921 after fire destroyed the original edifice. Twentieth century Gothic architecture.
Approved June Sixteen
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Two
Erected . . . — — Map (db m76267) HM
The parsonage was designed by the Minneapolis firm of Purcell and Elmslie. Built in 1915, the house represents the firm's work in small, inexpensive residences.
Designated District November Seventeen
Nineteen Hundred . . . — — Map (db m76178) HM
Poodle skirts, crew cuts, soda pop, and rock 'n roll! Fournier's Ballroom in the 1950s and 60s was the regional hot spot for entertainment. Longtime area residents still speak fondly of their memories of northwestern Wisconsin's largest dance . . . — — Map (db m73976) HM
On June 14, 1952, Henry Aaron made his professional baseball debut here at Carson Park with the Eau Claire Bears. In his first two at-bats, he hit run-scoring singles in a game against St. Cloud, Minn.
Aaron is depicted here . . . — — Map (db m43507) HM
"Immigrants are pouring in...land I would never have thought of choosing is being taken up." Writing from Chippewa County's Clear Water post office in 1855, Thomas Barland could scarcely have imagined the tide of immigrants yet to land in Eau . . . — — Map (db m43563) HM
Half Moon Lake has been used as an industrial site since 1850 when white settlement began in Eau Claire. The lake's crescent shape and drainage formed a natural holding pond for logs and between 1867 and 1884 seven logging companies located . . . — — Map (db m75203) HM
This house was designed by the architectural firm of Purcell and Feick from Minneapolis. Built in 1909 by Mr. and Mrs. J. D. R. Steven, it is a fine example of Prairie School architecture. Mr. Steven was part owner of the Eau . . . — — Map (db m43506) HM
This residence is an eclectic example of Queen Anne and Second Empire architecture. Constructed in 1859, the present house was almost completely rebuilt in 1889. John Pinkum was a partner in the Empire Lumber Company.
. . . — — Map (db m76290) HM
This building which was built in 1905 is the former office of the Kaiser Lumber Company. It is one of the few remaining buildings from Eau Claire's great lumber industry which got its start in the 1860's. Kaiser Lumber Company . . . — — Map (db m74613) HM
Katherine and James Wickham constructed this Colonial Revival style home in 1925-26. It is one of the best examples of this architectural style in the City. James Wickham was a prominent Eau Claire attorney who argued over . . . — — Map (db m77128) HM
Inga and Chris Kinney built this Craftsman Bungalow style house in 1911. Kinney was the treasurer of the Kinney Motor Car Company, which was located on South Barstow Street. This company operated from 1917 until 1923 and was . . . — — Map (db m75741) HM
The legend of Paul Bunyan is the creation of lumberjacks from Canada to the United States and from Maine to the Pacific Northwest. It probably had its roots in a real person. There was a soldier, named Paul Bunyan, who fought with Papineau in the . . . — — Map (db m57620) HM
Nineteenth century lumbermen made numerous improvements on the Chippewa River to ease the task of transporting logs and lumber. Such improvements required legislative approval, so lumbermen commonly lobbied Madison legislators or themselves . . . — — Map (db m75599) HM
Its doors are open to every sufferer, with no shadow of restriction as to the color of their skin or of their money, or the shade of their religious belief."
Dr. Hans Christian Midelfart
. . . — — Map (db m75336) HM
Miria Gans constructed this Victorian style house in 1891. As this house was being constructed, the house located at 713 Fourth Avenue and the Eau Claire Senior High School that was located across the street were also under . . . — — Map (db m76335) HM
Built in 1897, the Clark house is a combination of Colonial Revival and Neo Classical architecture. Nancy Clark was the widow of dewitt Clark, a banking partner of lumberman O. H. Ingram.
Designated District . . . — — Map (db m43499) HM
In the spring of 1861, an eaglet was found in a tree on the Flambeau River by Sky Chief, a Flambeau Indian who later sold him to Mrs. Dan McCann of Jim Falls for a sack of corn. In August, 1861, Dan McCann tried to sell the bird to a Civil War . . . — — Map (db m43484) HM
Built in 1918, this house is the most significant example of Georgian Revival architecture in Eau Claire. Orlando Brice was the treasurer and manager of the Wisconsin Refrigerator Company.
Designated District February . . . — — Map (db m75728) HM
John S. and Mary Owen's gift of land for a city park in 1913-14 came as Eau Claire's reputation as a "sawdust city" was already fading into memory. The Owen's came to Wisconsin in 1873 seeking opportunities in lumbering. John was hired as a . . . — — Map (db m74531) HM
Petronilla (Bellinger) and James T. Barber built this Tutor Revival House in 1903-04. The house is designed by Minneapolis architect, Harry Wild Jones. James Barber was the president of the Northwestern Lumber Company from . . . — — Map (db m75737) HM
"The regular meeting of the Dovre Ski Club will be held Friday evening...all members must be present. The home boys have improved wonderfully and a lively contest is looked for."
Eau Claire Weekly Free Press . . . — — Map (db m75466) HM
Built in 1915-1916, this residence combines elements of Prairie School and Georgian Revival architecture. Roy Wilcox practiced law in Eau Claire from 1897-1946. He was elected state senator in 1917.
Designated District . . . — — Map (db m75674) HM
Tilla and William Schwahn built this house in 1928. Schwahn was the Vice-President of the Schwahn-Seyberth Company, a saddlery that operated a large business on Wisconsin Street. This house is an excellent example of the . . . — — Map (db m76069) HM
The Korger family built this "catalog house" in 1910 from a pre-cut numbered kit ordered from Sears Roebuck and Company and delivered to Eau Claire by railroad in two box cars.
Designated August Fifteen
Nineteen Hundred . . . — — Map (db m75632) HM
Dominating the vicinity, the Silver Mine Ski Jump is 351 feet above the Chippewa River and is considered one of the largest ski jumps in the country. Built by the Eau Claire Ski Club in 1969, this jump replaces another built in 1887, at the nearby . . . — — Map (db m21231) HM
Erected in 1896, St. Joseph's Chapel is the only example of a late Nineteenth Century Gothic chapel in Eau Claire. It was built by a member of Sacred Heart Parish.
Designated November Twenty-One
Nineteen Hundred and . . . — — Map (db m75654) HM
Sumner Moon built this Georgian Revival house in 1904. Moon, a prominent businessman in Eau Claire, was president of the Northwestern Lumber Company and later served as president of the Gillette Rubber Company.
Designated . . . — — Map (db m75793) HM
A significant example of Neo-Classical architecture built in 1927. It was designed by Edward J. Hancock, an English architect practicing in Eau Claire from 1915 to 1930.
Designated March Seven
Nineteen Hundred . . . — — Map (db m74843) HM
Looking east across Half Moon Lake from the northeast corner of Carson Park one sees the swimming beach and bath house. These structures are adjacent to the terminal point of a former engineering feat known then as the log flume. Essentially this . . . — — Map (db m46590) HM
Bradley Marcy, a stonemason from New York State, built this house in 1866 from cobblestones gathered from the banks of the Eau Claire and Chippewa Rivers. Constructed in Gothic Revival Style, it was listed on the National . . . — — Map (db m31155) HM
"... we have a moderately strong, steady wind coming down the river from the east and it puts an 18 inch bow in the floor and causes a lot of vibration."
A.R. Garnock, City Engineer, 1937
In 1932, the City of Eau . . . — — Map (db m74943) HM
Sawdust and Ice Harvest
Each winter 350 lb. cakes of ice were cut from Half Moon Lake. After the harvest crews conveyed them to ice houses on shore, they were packed in 18 inches of the plentiful sawdust from local sawmills. Stored that . . . — — Map (db m46570) HM
Charles and Aurora Susie Mittelstadt constructed this American Foursquare style house in 1921. It provides the best example of this architectural style in the city. Charles Mittelstadt was very prominent in the Eau Claire . . . — — Map (db m74321) HM
The Chippewa River acted like a natural highway in the late 1800s transporting logs downstream to the sawmills while providing transportation for loggers and business people alike. From this very location, one would see numerous steamboats . . . — — Map (db m74916) HM
Thomas McDermott, a local lumberman, built this Queen Anne style house in 1887. McDermott served in the Sixth Minnesota volunteer infantry in the early 1860s. After serving in the military, he worked as an explorer and scout . . . — — Map (db m43500) HM
Brady Anderson built this Queen Anne style house between 1892 and 1894. Waldemar Ager lived in the house from 1903 until his death in 1941. Ager was an influential Norwegian-American author and editor. He wrote many novels, . . . — — Map (db m76949) HM
As a frontier town, Eau Claire relied on the river to transport people and products. The Water Street Business District grew up convenient to the steamboat landing, where twice weekly the "Jennie Whipple" unloaded passengers opposite the . . . — — Map (db m74588) HM
Cornelius Webster, a bricklayer, constructed this house in 1881. Its single story, brick design is somewhat unusual for this time period. The house has had four owners, with Webster owning it until 1891. Subsequent owners . . . — — Map (db m75999) HM
This Queen Anne home was built by William Christian Reinhard, Circa 1873. Reinhard immigrated to the U.S. from Germany in 1841 and worked as an architect and builder. He was also a state assembly man, and an accomplished artist . . . — — Map (db m77066) HM
This Queen Anne style house was built by Frederick
and Mary Woltersdorf in 1893. Frederick moved to Eau Claire in 1874 from Germany. He worked in a book bindery and a barbershop before becoming a partner in cigar . . . — — Map (db m76526) HM