Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Edwards County Texas Historical Markers

 
Edwards County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jenn Wintermantel
Edwards County Marker
Texas (Edwards County), Rocksprings — 1400 — Edwards County
Atop the Edwards Plateau, extending into the scenic Nueces Valley. Angora goat capital of the world. The economy is based on ranching. Wild game is abundant. Created in 1858 and organized 1883 from old Bexar district. Named for Haden Edwards . . . — Map (db m122862) HM
Texas (Edwards County), Rocksprings — 1402 — Edwards County Courthouse
Late Victorian structure of rusticated limestone, quarried in Southwest Texas. Contractors were Davey and Schott, of Kerrville, 1891. Roof was damaged by 1927 storm that killed 70 people. It was afterward restored. Recorded Texas Historic . . . — Map (db m122857) HM
Texas (Edwards County), Rocksprings — 1768 — First Methodist ChurchOf Rocksprings
This congregation traces its beginning to organized religious gatherings led by the Rev. D. O. McAllister in a schoolhouse located on property owned by Mary Buswell in 1893. Early worship services were also held in a public schoolhouse and in the . . . — Map (db m122864) HM
Texas (Edwards County), Rocksprings — 2418 — Headquarters, American Angora Goat Breeders' Assn.
Formed in Missouri, 1898. Moved to Texas, 1924; to Rocksprings, 1926. Houses complete records on Angora Goats registered in U.S. Pictures of breeders and champion goats on display. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965 — Map (db m122866) HM
Texas (Edwards County), Rocksprings — 3702 — Old Carson Store
First stone store in town; built 1920-21 by G. M. Carson, merchant. His 1904 general store (on this site) was for years only establishment in county selling caskets. Present store withstood 1927 tornado that killed 72 here; is still owned by the . . . — Map (db m122858) HM
Texas (Edwards County), Rocksprings — 11855 — Rocksprings Telephone Company(Southwest Texas Telephone Company)
Local businessman Street Gilmer and D. H. Comparette of Kerrville built a long distance telephone line from Rocksprings to Kerrville in 1898. They installed the town's first telephone in Newton & Smart's store. The phone was later moved to Gilmer's . . . — Map (db m122856) HM
Texas (Edwards County), Rocksprings — The Sesquicentennial Committee Erects This Marker
July 4, 1986 in honor of all our citizens who have rendered service to Edwards County, Texas, created from Bexar District in 1858. Organized 1883. — Map (db m122860) WM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.