Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Effingham County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Early Baptists At Tuckasee King Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, April 2008
Early Baptists At Tuckasee King Marker
Georgia (Effingham County), Clyo — 051-10 — Early Baptists At Tuckasee King
Soon after 1767, the Rev. Benjamin Stirk, who had been baptized at the Orphan House, visited Tuckasee King and, finding a number of Baptists there, began to preach to them. As there was then no Baptist Church in Georgia, an arm of the church at . . . — Map (db m7537) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Clyo — 051-19 — John Adam Treutlen
On these lands stood the home of John Adam Treutlen, the first Governor of Georgia after the State obtained Independence, being elected in 1777 under the first Constitution of Georgia. A Salzburger, born about 1733, John Adam Treutlen came to . . . — Map (db m7255) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Clyo — 051-18 — Old Mount Pleasant»——→
Two miles east of here, on a bluff fronting Savannah River, is the site of Mt. Pleasant, a former Uchee Indian town and English trading post. Even before the foundation of Georgia, the spot was a key point on an arterial Indian path which had long . . . — Map (db m7775) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Clyo — 051-13 — Two Historic Savannah River Ferries
On the Savannah River, near here, two historic Ferries operated in Colonial Days, linking South Carolina and the Northern overland trade paths with Georgia and the routes leading South to the Savannah and East Florida markets. In 1739, General . . . — Map (db m7194) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Ebenezer — The Salzburgers
[Marker's East face]: To the Memory of the Salzburgers and their faithful pastors. Rev. John Martin Bolzius and Rev. Israel Christain Gronau who for their faith in the doctrines of Gods Word as taught in the . . . — Map (db m14739) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Eden — 015-17 — Sherman's Right Wing
On Dec. 8, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman's army (US),which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, was moving through Effington County toward Savannah. Hq. Right Wing , Maj.Gen. O.O. . . . — Map (db m12021) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Exley — 051-11 — Goshen Church
Goshen Church was built about 1751. It was served by the early pastors of the Salzburgers, and later for a short time by the Moravian missionaries. The church remained a part of the Ebenezer Charge until after the Revolutionary War. In 1820, the . . . — Map (db m7961) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Guyton — Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A.
Camp Davis was one of three Camps of Instruction authorized January 1862, by Governor Joseph B. Brown of Georgia, to enlist, determine fitness for duty, and train for the Confederate States of America Army. Camp Davis opened March 2, 1862, training . . . — Map (db m107229) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Guyton — 051-20 — Guyton Confederate General Hospital
In May 1862 the Confederate Government established a General Hospital in Guyton, Georgia. This hospital was located on a nine acre tract of land between Central Railroad, a determining factor in locating hospitals, and current Georgia Highway 119, . . . — Map (db m7979) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Guyton — 51-1 — Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute
The Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute for Colored Students was established here in 1880 by the Pilgram Missionary Baptist Association. The school was established, organized, funded and staffed by African Americans. The . . . — Map (db m7965) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Guyton — 051-15 — Sherman at Zion Church
On the night of Dec. 8, 1864, Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi (USA), Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, was established here at Zion Church. Hq. Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, USA, was at Eden (3 mi. SW). Hq. Left Wing . . . — Map (db m7964) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — 051-9 — Historic Taverns on this Road»—→
Five miles South on this road, George Washington spent Sunday night, May 15, 1791, at the house of "one Spencer." The occasion was Washington's Southern tour, and he was traveling in his carriage over this road from Savannah to Augusta. Four . . . — Map (db m7688) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — 051-2 — Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church»— 6 mi.—→
Built in 1767- 69 by Lutheran Protestants who came to Georgia in 1734 after being exiled from Catholic Salzburg in Europe, the church is officially name Jerusalem Church. It stands on the site of a wooden building probably erected soon after the . . . — Map (db m7629) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — 51-2 — March to the Sea: Ebenezer Creek
One mile north, on December 9, 1864, during the American Civil War, U.S. Gen. Jeff. C. Davis crossed Ebenezer Creek with his 14th Army Corps as it advanced toward Savannah during Gen. William T. Sherman’s March to the Sea. Davis hastily removed the . . . — Map (db m31226) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — 051-3 — Old River Road←—→
The Old River Road, one of Colonial Georgia's leading thoroughfares and the first highway to connect Savannah and Augusta, passed here. It was initially opened as a horse path by direction of General Oglethorpe in the 1730's. During the early . . . — Map (db m7649) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — 051-6 — Silk Culture at Ebenezer
Silk culture began at Ebenezer in 1736, when each Salzburger was presented with a mulberry tree and two were instructed in the art of reeling. Two machines were soon in operation in Mr. Bolzius' yard near the church, and in 1749, 762 lbs. of . . . — Map (db m7694) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — 051-4 — The Rev. John Martin Bolzius -The Rev. Israel Christian Gronau
In this cemetery are buried the Rev. John Martin Bolzius and the Rev. Israel Christian Gronau, ministers who came to Georgia with the first company of Salzburgers. In March 1734, the Rev. Mr. Bolzius was Superintendent of the Latin Orphan House at . . . — Map (db m7631) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — 051-12 — The Town of Ebenezer
Ebenezer was laid off in 1736, after the plan of Savannah, covering an area of a quarter of a mile square. Besides the homes, the plan included a church, parsonage, an academy, orphan house, public storehouse and market places. A thriving town at . . . — Map (db m7576) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
John and William Bartram, naturalists, explored Ebenezer and Effinham County on their Savannah~ Augusta Travels. — Map (db m7376) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Rincon ( Ebenezer) — John Adam Treutlen
(South Face) John Adam Treutlen 1733 - 1782 First Constitutional Governor of The State Of Georgia Elected May 1777 (East Face) John Adam Treutlen He was a member of the First Provincial Congress Of Georgia, . . . — Map (db m7645) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 051-7 — Bethany
The settlement of Bethany was effected near here in 1751 by John Gerar William DeBrahm, His Majesty`s Surveyor General for the Southern District of North America. Comprised at first of 160 Germans, the group was joined 11 months later by an equal . . . — Map (db m14587) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — Confederate Memorial
1861 1865 To Honor The Confederate Heroes Of Effingham County ( Reverse Side ) Erected by Salzburger Chapter United Daughters Of The Confederacy April 26, 1923 — Map (db m7504) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 051-1 — Effingham County
This is one of the eight original Counties created by the Georgia Constitution in 1777 and is named for Lord Effingham who was an ardent supporter of Colonial Rights. By Act of Feb. 26, 1784, the first County Site was located at Tuckasee-King near . . . — Map (db m7505) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground1790
Effingham Camp Meeting has the longest record of continuous service in South Georgia - from 1790 according to oral tradition. The first camp ground was off Sister’s Ferry Road on land of George Powledge, later sold to Gideon Mallette. In 1864 this . . . — Map (db m14592) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — Effingham County Veterans Memorial
[Front]: In grateful memory of those from Effingham County who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of our country that freedom might live and grow and increase its blessings [Along the base of the memorial are the seals for each . . . — Map (db m7695) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 051-14 — Old Ebenezer»— .5 mi. →
About .5 miles East on this Road is the site of Old Ebenezer, the first settlement of the Salzburgers in Georgia. They selected this location and named it Ebenezer -- the stone of help. General Oglethorpe marked out their town, and soon they . . . — Map (db m7617) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 51-16 — Sherman's Left Wing
On Dec. 8, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman`s army (USA), which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, was moving through Effingham County toward Savannah. Hq. Left Wing, Maj. Gen. H. W. Slocum, . . . — Map (db m7686) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.