Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

El Dorado County California Historical Markers

 
Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge Monument image, Touch for more information
By James King, August 10, 2013
Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge Monument
California (El Dorado County), Auburn — GPY 135-10 — Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge
In 1910, the Mountain Quarries Company contracted for the construction of a railroad bridge over the North Fork of the American River to haul limestone from their upstream quarry. The bridge and 17 wooden trestles were part of Mountain Quarries . . . — Map (db m67659) HM
California (El Dorado County), Auburn — Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge
The Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge, also known a "No Hands Bridge", was completed on March 23, 1912. At the time of its construction the span bore the distinction of being one of the largest reinforced concrete railroad bridges in the United . . . — Map (db m67664) HM
California (El Dorado County), Cameron Park — GPY 137-01 — James Skinner Winery & Distillery
Founded by Scottish gold miner James Skinner in 1861 in the community that became known as Skinners. Strategically placed on the Pony Express Trail, the J. Skinner Native Wine and Brandy Co. was one of the first commercial vineyards in the country, . . . — Map (db m66603) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — “Gold Boys Gold”
On January 24, 1848, James Marshall set off early and alone to inspect progress in deepening the ditch that channeled water from the sawmill back to the river. Suddenly, he bent over and picked up a few particles gleaming in the icy water. . . . — Map (db m17241) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 2010-03 — 200th Anniversary of James W. Marshall's Birth
On the occasion of James W. Marshall's 200th birthday, the Native Sons of the Golden West rededicate this monument erected in his honor. Born in Hopewell Township, Mercer County, New Jersey to Phillip and Sarah Wilson Marshall on October 8, 1810, he . . . — Map (db m71528) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — American House HotelSite of
Located on this corner in 1853 was a sturdy, well proportioned 2-story hotel known as the American House. The proprietors, Marchant and Crocker, were proud of their hotel with its healthful location on “Piety Hill” opposite the Court H . . . — Map (db m17161) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Beer Garden
This beer garden, a recent addition to Coloma, was built by Jim Bridgham in the mid 1950s. Jim and his sister Margaret operated a business called the “Hitching Rack” and built the beer garden so the “locals” could sit around, . . . — Map (db m17429) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Bekeart’s Gun Shop
Jules Francois Bekeart was a gunsmith who came here in 1849 to mine gold and soon became a close friend of James Marshall. The hard labor of gold mining was not to his liking, so “Frank” Berkeart started a highly successful gunsmith . . . — Map (db m17225) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Cabin of James Marshall
This cabin was erected by Marshall and occupied by him from 1856 : 1870. Born in New Jersey October 8, 1810. Came to California in 1845 – Died at Kelsey, this state, August 10, 1885. The discovery of gold by Marshall in the tailrace of John A. . . . — Map (db m12215) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Capt. William E. Shannon
First Alcade of Coloma Delegate from this area to First State Constitutional Convention Convention at Monterey. September 1849 — Map (db m17467) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Chinese Miners of the Mother Lode
Following the California Gold Rush of ’49, swarms of Chinese miners came to make their mark on the diggings in the Mother Lode, including this Coloma Valley. They were industrious and self-contained and mostly content to thoroughly comb the old . . . — Map (db m12225) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Chinese Stores
These two stone buildings known as the Wah Hop and Man Lee Stores were built by Jonas Wilder before 1860and leased to Chinese merchants. Located at the edge of a large Chinese community, they sold traditional foods, clothing and other items. Such . . . — Map (db m12227) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — ColomaAn Artists View
”The principle street of Coloma was alive with crowds of moving men, passing and repassing, laughing, talking, and all appearing in the best of humor. It was a scene that no other country could ever imitate.” from “A . . . — Map (db m12274) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Breweries
In the 1850’s and 1860’s Coloma had two breweries – the El Dorado and the Coloma – between Brewery Street and the river. An 1853 advertisement in Coloma’s newspaper stated: “Mr. Joseph Wellman would respectfully inform traders, . . . — Map (db m12324) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Greys
This building, perhaps originally a livery stable, was the armory for the Coloma Greys, a local volunteer militia company. After the Greys disbanded in 1862, the building was used as a carriage house by Elias Weller, who lived in the large white . . . — Map (db m17222) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Post Office
Coloma’s first post office opened in 1849 when, against his wishes, John T. Little was appointed postmaster. In 1851 Coloma received tri-weekly mail service from Sacramento City. The post office, first designated as Culloma, California Territory, . . . — Map (db m17180) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Schoolhouse
In 1885 Coloma’s three private school schools enrolled 187 pupils; two years later one large public school held 234 children. That school was housed in the original El Dorado County Courthouse on this site. The courthouse burned in 1915, and this . . . — Map (db m17129) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma’s Largest Brick Store(Site of)
A large brick building measuring 50 feet by 65 feet, was built here in 1856. Two older frame structures were demolished and were sorely missed by the “old-timers” of that day. The brick for this store probably came from a brickyard 2 . . . — Map (db m12273) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma’s Law OfficesSite of
In the 1850s, the law offices of Thomas Robertson and the firm of Sanderson and Hews were at this site. The town alcalde also had his office here. Borrowed from Mexican government, the position of alcalde combined the roles of mayor, justice of the . . . — Map (db m17572) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma’s Pioneer Cemetery
Thousands of people emigrated to California with the dream of riches for themselves and have found their final rest in these hallowed grounds. The exact date that the cemetery was founded is unknown. The earliest known graves date from 1849. In . . . — Map (db m12282) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — County CourthouseSite of
When El Dorado County was organized in 1850 as part of the new State of California, Coloma was named the county seat. County offices were housed in simple frame structures until 1856, when a fine court house was built here on the public square. . . . — Map (db m17141) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Dukehart’s Barbershop and BathhouseSite of
In the 1850s a black man known only as “Dukehart” operated a barbershop that straddled the creek at this location. Typical of many barbershops of this period, Dukehart’s establishment also provided hot baths for his customers. The water . . . — Map (db m17166) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — El Dorado County Jails
Coloma’s first jail was made of logs and was located around the corner on High Street. The second jail, built in 1855, quickly proved to be too small, and this stone-block prison was erected. It was used from 1857 until 1862. The metal cell that . . . — Map (db m12228) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Emmanuel Church
Built in 1855, this is the oldest Episcopal church building in the state. It was later purchased and used by the Methodists. James Marshall's funeral services were held here in 1885. The Church remains a popular site for weddings. Contact the Park . . . — Map (db m53184) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James W. MarshallDiscoverer of Gold
“Boys I believe I have found a gold mine” so said James W. Marshall to his millworkers on January 24, 1848, after he discovered gold in the tail race of Captain John A. Sutter’s sawmill at Coloma. This discovery started the great Gold . . . — Map (db m12224) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James W. Marshall1810 - 1885
. . . — Map (db m71527) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James Wilson MarshallAnd the Coloma Valley
James Marshall arrived in the “Collumah”, valley home of the Nisenan, on May 8, 1847 to map the site for a sawmill he was to build in partnership with John Sutter. On August 18, Marshall returned with a crew, mostly Mormons, to build the . . . — Map (db m39013) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Kane House
Tom Kane was born in Coloma of Irish parents. He built this house for his bride, Julia, in 1886. He died 5 years later, and Julia lived here for many years afterward. In 1934 Ralph Hikens owned the house and operated a store and post office in one . . . — Map (db m17168) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Metropolitan Saloon and Bowling AlleySite of
At this site was one of California’s first bowling alleys. It was actually three buildings, with single-lane bowling alleys in each of the side buildings. The establishment, also known as the Metropolitan Saloon and Sporting Hall, featured gambling . . . — Map (db m17598) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Miner’s Cabin
This cabin is an example of he quarters used by miners during the gold rush. The earliest structures were canvas tents, made from recycled sailcloth taken from abandoned ships in San Francisco Bay. In 1849 Coloma had hundreds of “tent” . . . — Map (db m12270) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mining Ditches
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — Map (db m17484) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe Family Homestead
The home of the pioneer Monroe family stood here for more than a century. The family matriarch, Nancy Gooch, came across the plains from Missouri as a slave in 1849. She gained her freedom in 1850 when California joined the Union as a . . . — Map (db m17455) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe House
Perly Monroe was the grandson of Peter and Nancy Gooch, who were freed from slavery here when California became a state in 1850. The Monroe family became successful fruit farmers and prominent property holders in Coloma. Built in 1925, this house is . . . — Map (db m17205) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mormon CabinReplica
Members of the “Mormon Battalion,” returning from the war with Mexico, were enlisted by Sutter and Marshall to help construct Sutter’s Mill. The Mormon members of the sawmill crew built a cabin near the mill during the winter of 1847. . . . — Map (db m12158) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Odd Fellows Hall
Built in 1854 by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, this hall was also shared with religious organizations of the Coloma community. The I.O.O.F. was only one of the many fraternal lodges that were active during the 1850s in Coloma and in most . . . — Map (db m17143) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Papini House
This home is located near the site of an 1853-1864 bakery and confectionery store and owned and operated by Luther Davis. The impressive Davis home was located on the hill, some 100 feet behind the bakery. Both were dismantled after 1885. This . . . — Map (db m17164) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Partners In History
Friday, Aug. 27, 1847…made a contract and entered in partnership with Marshall for a sawmill to be built on the Amer. Fork. So wrote John Augustus Sutter, methodically recording the agreement that led to California’s astonishing gold . . . — Map (db m17226) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Pioneer Cemetery
This cemetery, also called “Coloma Protestant” Cemetery, “Sutter’s Mill” Cemetery, and “Vineyard House” Cemetery, is the final resting place for many ‘49ers. Among these graves are the remains of miners, farmers, . . . — Map (db m12279) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Robert Bell's Store
Most of Coloma's buildings were wooden, but some were were made of brick or stone to resist fire. This one, known as "Bells Brick Store," was a general merchandise store that also sold feed and grain. The U.S. Post Office was located in this . . . — Map (db m12207) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Saint John’s Cemetery
This is Coloma’s Catholic Cemetery. There were probably some internments here early in the 1850’s. Many of the early burials were marked by wooden markers that have long since disappeared. The oldest existing headstone is dated 1861. This cemetery . . . — Map (db m12280) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Schulze House
This house was built in 1916 by Charles Schulze for his daughter Daisy, who visited Coloma occasionally. Schulze had been a miner, blacksmith, teamster and mason. In 1886 he fell heir to the Sierra Nevada House and became a hotelkeeper. He died in . . . — Map (db m17170) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sierra Nevada House(Site of)
The Sierra Nevada House was a handsome two-story building with many windows and a broad balcony. Here guests could always expect fine hospitality, suburb food, excellent ballroom music, fine carriages and comfortable beds. It was opened by Robert . . . — Map (db m12237) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Cemetery – 1848
Originated at time of gold discovery also known as “Coloma Protestant” or “Vineyard House” Cemetery. Still used by local pioneer families. — Map (db m12277) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Replica
This replica of Sutter’s Mill was based on research from many sources – a drawing by James Marshall, an old photograph of the mill, and the results of several excavations made on the original mill site. The building is 60 feet long, 20 feet . . . — Map (db m12206) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Timbers
John Sutter’s mill was not used after 1850 and it deteriorated rapidly. The flood of 1862 destroyed the above ground remains of the structure. In 1924 the original mill site was located and the mill monument was built. Major excavations in 1947 . . . — Map (db m12222) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 530 — Sutter’s Mill Site
This rock monument marks site of John A. Sutter's saw mill in the tailrace of which James W. Marshall discovered gold, January 24, 1848, starting the great rush of argonauts to California. The Society of California Pioneers definitely located and . . . — Map (db m39015) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 748 — The Coloma Road
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter’s Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of . . . — Map (db m12272) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — The Tailrace
Here on a chilly morning in January, 1848, carpenter James Marshall picked up the small pieces gold that touched off one of the largest, most frenzied mass migrations in history. Within a year of Marshall’s discovery, six thousand gold seekers . . . — Map (db m17608) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Weller House
Probably the first structure on this site was Littner’s Exchange, which was later purchased and remodeled by the Bramer brothers. They operated the Orleans Hotel, Restaurant and Oyster Saloon until 1856 when Elias Weller bought the property and . . . — Map (db m17176) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Weller’s StoreSite of
Like many ‘49ers, Samuel and Elias Weller soon quit mining and turned to less exhausting work. The Weller brothers operated two stores in town; one was primarily a tin shop. The brick buildings were called Coloma’s first fireproof structures. Their . . . — Map (db m17355) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Wintermantel’s Miner’s HotelSite of
A large pentagon-shaped structure was built here in 1849. In 1850 it became the Roger’s Hotel, one of Coloma’s first major hotels. Ownership changed hands several times until 1852 when it became known as Wintermantel’s Miner's Hotel. A sign on the . . . — Map (db m15673) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Winters’ HotelSite of
The Winters’ Hotel was the most ornate building in town. It was one of the earliest hotels here and the best known. A forty-niner later described it as “the hotel par excellence of the town; one could easily perceive that by its long white . . . — Map (db m17221) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — 487 — Diamond Springs
This town, settled in 1848, derived its name from its crystal clear springs. Among the richest in this vicinity its diggings produced a 25 pound nugget, one of the largest in El Dorado County. Its most thriving period was in 1851. Later it became a . . . — Map (db m10936) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — Diamond Springs I.O.O.F. No. 09 Lodge Hall
The oldest fraternal edifice in continuous use on the West Coast. Built on this hillside, not on the main street as in the usual practice for the era. It avoided the ravages of fire which razed the town of Diamond Springs on several occasions. . . . — Map (db m19263) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — Odd Fellows Hall
Erected in 1852 by Diamond Springs Lodge No.9 I.O.O.F. Oldest building in constant use By the Odd Fellows in California Dedicated to the memory of the Pioneer Odd Fellows Of El Dorado County by Marguerite Parlor No.12 Native . . . — Map (db m19264) HM
California (El Dorado County), Ed Z'berg Sugar Pine Point State Park-Tahoma — Pine Lodge-Erhman Mansion
Lake Tahoe first lured hardy souls who came here to build a life in its wilderness. Pine Lodge, rises -grandly above the translucent blue waters of Lake Tahoe's west shore. San Francisco's elite built seasonal retreats like Pine Lodge, . . . — Map (db m55506) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 486 — El Dorado
El Dorado, meaning “The Gilded One”, was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place. Originally a important camp along the old Carson Emigrant Trail. By 1849 – 50 it . . . — Map (db m13148) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 700 — El Dorado (Mud Springs)
Trading post, emigrant stop, and mining camp of the 1850’s. This became one of the remount stations of the Central Overland Pony Express. Here at the Nevada House on April 13, 1860, pony rider William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses while carrying the . . . — Map (db m11571) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — Hiram No.43 Masonic Building
Hiram Lodge No.43: Free and Accepted Masons, was chartered in the town of Mud Springs, as it was ten called, May 16, 1854. The Lodge met in rented buildings until the completion of this brick edifice in 1862. On September 17, 1923 a fire . . . — Map (db m12396) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — 699 — Mormon TavernOverland Pony Express Route - California
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and . . . — Map (db m12056) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — Prairie City Cemetery
The birth of Prairie City, Sacramento County, was announced in the pages of The Sacramento Daily Union newspaper in June of 1853. Located 21 miles from the City of Sacramento, it was approximately 2 miles south of Negro Bar, now known as . . . — Map (db m10500) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — SterlingshireHistorical Site
The Central Overland Pony Express passed this site many times. Green Valley Road was the gateway to the gold region, and was the center of activities in the 1850’s & 60’s, where many early California Inns were located. In the late 1800’s a . . . — Map (db m11311) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — American River Inn
American River Inn formerly American Hotel Destroyed by fire, 1899 Rebuilt by F. Schmeder 1899 — Map (db m54944) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 17 — Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall
[Three small markers are mounted on the front of the building:] Marker 1: Balsar House A hotel built in 1850 by Madam Balsar Remodeled for an opera house in 1870. Restored by the Independent Order Odd Fellows and used as a . . . — Map (db m54812) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Chief Jack Anderson
This monument is presented in appreciation for the commitment, loyalty, leadership, service, and vision provided to the people of the Georgetown Divide by Chief Jack Anderson The following are a few of his notable accomplishments prior to . . . — Map (db m11379) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Civil War Armory
Built in 1862 for the Georgetown Home Guard — Map (db m54931) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 484 — Georgetown
Founded August 7, 1849 by George Phipps and party. Nicknamed Growlersburg from the heavy nuggets that “growled” in the miners’ pans. Georgetown was the hub of an immensely rich gold area. After the disastrous fire of 1852 the old town . . . — Map (db m57962) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus
Georgetown Pride of the Sierras Georgetown was founded in 1849 by George Phipps, a member of a party of sailors prospecting for gold, who first pitched his tent near the head of what is now known as Empire Canyon. George's town quickly . . . — Map (db m54773) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Blues
A Military Company Was Organized At Georgetown In August 1859, Called The Georgetown Blues This Is In Honor Of Them, And Dedicated To All United States Veterans Who Have So Honorably Answered Their Nation’s Call To Duty America . . . — Map (db m55078) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Community United Methodist Church
During the 1850’s the Methodists were the first to serve in the mining towns of El Dorado County. Some ministers traveled on horseback from one mining town to another with a Bible and a Colt Revolver. Known as Georgetown Methodist Episcopal Church, . . . — Map (db m55075) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Firehouse
This firehouse, completed in 1965, was built to replace one on the opposite side of Main Street which was inadequate to house modern equipment. Headquarters of the Georgetown Fire District, now in this building, were formerly on Church Street. — Map (db m54929) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Hotel
Built 1856 Destroyed twice by fire and rebuilt in 1896 — Map (db m67570) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 2010-04 — Georgetown School
Education for children on the Georgetown Divide began with home schools for a few gold miner families in the early 1850s. The first permanent school was established in 1854, on School Street. It was replaced in 1890 by a two-story school house on . . . — Map (db m93981) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Volunteer Firemen
This monument is dedicated to the Georgetown Volunteer Firemen past and present who have served this community for 125 years. This bell had served as the fire alarm for many years until retired in 1965 when the new station was built. Material . . . — Map (db m11376) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgia Slide
One and a half miles north of Georgetown sailors from Georgia established claims in 1849. General store and mining camp in 1850 which later produced by seam diggins hydraulic and flood sluicing methods. The famous Blue Rock, Pacific Beattie and . . . — Map (db m54943) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 521 — Greenwood
John Greenwood, a trapper and guide who came to California in 1844, established a here a trading post in 1849. The mining town of Greenwood, which developed during the Gold Rush, boasted a theater, 4 hotels, 14 stores, a brewery, and 4 saloons. . . . — Map (db m10447) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Miners Club
Built 1862 Operated as morgue during Civil War — Map (db m55077) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Shannon Knox House
Oldest Residence in Georgetown Built in the late Spring and Summer of 1854 — Map (db m54823) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — St. James Catholic ChurchBuilt 1923
In May 1980 with the help of Msgr. Patrick Nolan this church was saved from being torn down and was then moved from Main Street to Buffalo Hill by the Jeepers Jamboree Committee for Preservation as a historical building of early Georgetown. . . . — Map (db m54928) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — The American HotelBuilt in 1863
Served as – hotel, rooming house, sanitarium and private residence during mining era. Burned in 1897 fire, rebuilt in 1899. — Map (db m54875) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — The Dysfunctional Organization (TDO)
On Labor Day Weekend 2004, The Dysfunctional Organization held the first "Cantina for the Con." With the sale of that first "Dysfunctional" taco, "Cantina for the Con" became an annual Labor Day event. To date, "Cantina for the Con" has raised over . . . — Map (db m106333) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — GPY 141-02 — The Rubicon
Historically speaking, to cross the Rubicon River meant that you had passed the point of no return. This trail was originally used by Native Americans as a trade route. In the 1800s it became the main byway from Georgetown to Lake Tahoe. The route . . . — Map (db m105984) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Wells Fargo Building
Wells Fargo Building and State Stop Built in 1852 — Map (db m54932) HM
California (El Dorado County), Gold Hill — 815 — Wakamatsu Tea and Silk Farm Colony
Site of the only tea and silk farm established in California. First agricultural settlement of pioneer Japanese immigrants who arrived at Gold Hill on June 8, 1869. Despite the initial success, it failed to prosper. It marked the beginning of . . . — Map (db m76181) HM
California (El Dorado County), Greenwood — GPY 139-11 — The Greenwood School House
The first school house in Greenwood was located yards from this location. It burned down in 1855. In 1858 the Greenwood School District was established and this one room school house was built by the community. It remained open from 1859 to 1954. . . . — Map (db m105978) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — 705 — Moore’s (Riverton)
This was the site of a change station of the Pioneer Stage Company in the 1850’s and 1860’s. During 1860-1861, the Central Overland Pony Express maintained here the first pony remount station east of Sportsman’s Hall. — Map (db m57977) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — Riverton Bridge
These stone obelisks are all that’s left of the original four that once stood on the corners of the stone arch bridge spanning the American River from 1900 to 1930. This monument erected by Caltrans District 3 History Committee and the . . . — Map (db m23183) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — 706 — Webster’s(Sugar Loaf House)
This was the site of Webster's Sugar Loaf House, well-known stopping place during the Comstock rush. Beginning in April 1860, it was used as a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express. In 1861 it became a horse change station for pioneer . . . — Map (db m14177) HM
California (El Dorado County), Latrobe — LatrobeEst. 1864
The youngest town acquisition of El Dorado County owes its origin to the Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad. They established a station for neighboring Amador County at this crossing of the roads. The town started on the completion of the . . . — Map (db m19317) HM
California (El Dorado County), Latrobe — Latrobe Elementary SchoolEstablished in 1865
Latrobe was founded in 1864, when James Miller gave the right-of-way through his property to the Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroad. Latrobe school originated as a one room classroom, however in 1915 a fire raged through Latrobe and the . . . — Map (db m19322) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — John (Snowshoe) Thompson
Send me men to match my mountains. These are words a great poet said speaking for the brave young nation that needed strong and brave men’s aid. In memory of John (Snowshoe) Thompson who, for twenty successive winters, 1856-1876, . . . — Map (db m434) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — Yank’s Added Station
(back) The Hawley Grade from April 3, 1860 to November 17, 1860 was used by the Pony Express. On November 18, 1860 the new toll road down Johnson Pass (Echo Summit), today’s Old Meyers Grade, was opened to horse traffic and was now used by . . . — Map (db m435) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — 708 — Yank’s Station
This was the site of the most eastern remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express in California. Established as a trading post in 1851 by Martin Smith, it became a popular hostelry and stage-stop operated by Ephraim “Yank” . . . — Map (db m433) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pilot Hill — 551 — California’s First Grange Hall
Original Marker - Missing First Replacement Marker - See Photo #2 Pilot Hill Grange No.1, of 29 charter members: Master, F. D. Brown; Secretary, A. J. Bayley; was organized August 10, 1870. The Grange Hall, dedicated at this site . . . — Map (db m11607) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — "Stone House"Circa 1865
The last remaining building of the Gold Rush era Chinese community in Old Hangtown Stone House is famous for its historical significance as an old Chinese brothel Restored by John R. Berry – Attorney at Law Architectural . . . — Map (db m36815) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Bee-Bennett House
One of the oldest preserved homes of Placerville (Old Hangtown) originally built in 1853 by Col. Fred A. Bee, pioneer merchant, and enlarged in 1889 by Judge Marcus P. Bennett, early jurist, retaining redwood ornate paneling woodwork and fireplace . . . — Map (db m42260) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Boeger Winery
This fieldstone building was built by Giovanni N. Lombardo in 1872 from stones cleared to plant vineyards on the property. The lower cellar was used to produce wine for the local community. The grapes were crushed in the upper story living room and . . . — Map (db m101534) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Branch Saloon/Bingham's Jewelrey/Seligman Building/Ewing BuildingCollins Auto Parts/Placerville Clothing
Branch Saloon Bingham’s Jewelry Seligman Building Ewing Building Collins Auto Parts Placerville Clothing A log building owned by C.C. Williams once stood on the western portion of this lot. In 1853 thirsty miners stopped here for a drink . . . — Map (db m69356) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Cemetery of Lost Souls
These headstones, removed from their gravesites as a result of vandalism, were found throughout the county on roadsides and in backyards. The headstones have been given a temporary resting site, here, until their rightful places can be located. — Map (db m13613) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Confidence Engine CompanyCity Hill
Erected in 1860, this part of City Hall housed the Confidence Engine Company which was originally formed as The Mountaineer Engine Company. When flames engulfed most of the town in 1856, concerned citizens of Placerville realized that even the best . . . — Map (db m35540) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Confidence Hall
This building was erected in the Fall of 1860 for Confidence Engine Company No.1, organized in June 1857. City government located here since 1902. — Map (db m35546) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — County of El Dorado Courthouse Restoration
Board of Supervisors John M. Caswell – District 1, William V.D. Johnson – District 2, Thomas M. Goodloe, Jr. – District 3, Raymond E. Lawyer, Chairman – District 4, Gerald E. Martin – District 5. Robert Mason, . . . — Map (db m12755) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Davis and Roy News Depot / Shelley Inch Building / Placerville News Company
Fisher’s Oasis Coffee House and Wadsworth’s Chicago Dining Saloon occupied this site from 1851- 1855. In 1853 F.A. Bee, founder of the Placerville Herald, printed his short-lived newspaper here. Early pioneer doctors, Harvey and Sholer and . . . — Map (db m65253) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Douglass – Hines Building Bricks
The antique bricks that were used on the façade of this building were originally used to build the “Dougalss – Hines” Building. The “Douglass – Hines” Building stood where the Fountain Plaza now stands at 312 . . . — Map (db m13144) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — El Dorado County Veterans Monument
[Marker located on right planter stand on walkway of entrance to Monument:] El Dorado County Veterans Monument Dedicated on Veterans Day November 11, 2006 By The Friends of the Monument And The Grateful Citizens Of . . . — Map (db m21750) WM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Emigrant Jane
Drove a band of horses across the plains and from the proceeds of their sale she erected this building in 1861. — Map (db m13272) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Fountain and Tallman Soda Works
This building erected in 1852 withstood the fire of 1856. Dedicated to the memory of of the PIONEERS — Map (db m13269) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Gold Bug, A Neighborhood Mine
The Gold Bug is like the thousands of small mines that once dotted the Sierra foothills. Surprisingly enough, most of the digging in this mine occurred in the 1920’s and 30’s, and not during the Gold Rush. Mines like this were worked by small . . . — Map (db m69863) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 141 — Hangmans Tree
This city in the days of ’49 was called “Hangtown” This was the site of Elstner’s Hay Yard on which stood the ‘Hangman’s Tree’ where vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. The stump of the tree is under this . . . — Map (db m10504) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Hangtown’s Gold Bug Park
Did you know that Gold Bug Park has nearly 100 years of gold mining history? The 61 acres of the park include six mining claims that were once a part of the Poverty Ridge Mining District. Some of the richest deposits of the Mother Lode were . . . — Map (db m69861) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — History of Old Town Center
The Masonic Building was built by S.G. Beach and Company in the fall of 1893 for the Placerville Masonic Hall Association, using 85,000 first quality bricks shipped from Sacramento. It housed some of the finest legal talent in the county, attorneys . . . — Map (db m35590) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — In Respectful Memory of Joseph M. StaplesDeputy Sheriff of El Dorado County — Placerville, California
On Thursday, June 30, 1864 at about 10 PM two west-bound stage coaches of the Pioneer Stage Company were held up and the passengers robbed at gun-point at a location approximately 15 miles east of Placerville. The bandits demanded and obtained . . . — Map (db m13150) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — J. Wonderly House / N.C. Fassett Groceries & Provisions / Burn & McBride / Lofty Lou’s Yarn Shop
Boarders and guests of the Cedar Ravine House that once stood two doors up the street purchased groceries and provisions here from 1853 to 1856. Proprietor N.C. Fassett sold a variety of goods from beans to brandy, candy to coffee, lard to lead, . . . — Map (db m65252) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — James D. Rinehart
In Memory of James D. Rinehart Viet Nam – 1968 — Map (db m65255) WM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — James G. EddyApril 7, 1881 - June 5, 1964
Whose deep concern for the conservation and improvement of our forests led him to establish the Eddy Tree Breeding Station on this site in 1925. His own effort and funds created this oldest forest genetics research institution in the Western . . . — Map (db m105854) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — John Mohler Studebaker
1833 - - - 1917 Pioneer – Blacksmith – Soldier Inventor – Builder — Map (db m35536) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Joseph M. Staples
Re-Dedicated July 1, 1986 To The Memory of Joseph M. Staples El Dorado County Deputy Sheriff Who Was Killed In The Line Of Duty July 1, 1864 — Map (db m13970) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Lower Fairchild Building
F.A. Gerbode began construction of this building for W.A. (Will) Fairchild in 1903. Family legend says that when excavation began, enough gold was found to finance the project which totaled $16,000. The building’s two stories, much like today, . . . — Map (db m35579) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Methodist Episcopal Church
Erected in 1851, Oldest church building in El Dorado County. It originally stood on the corner of Cedar Ravine and Main Street. The Ponderosa Pine beams are hand hewn. First church bell was purchased from the sailing ship . . . — Map (db m11055) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Morning Star #20 I.O.O.F Lodge Building
Morning Star Lodge #20 was instituted February 9, 1854. The Lodge met for several years on the second floor of a 48 x 24 foot hillside building near here. In 1859, the members erected a building on this site. On May 15th, 1910, a fire started in the . . . — Map (db m35518) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 475 — PlacervilleOriginally Known as “Hangtown” — Incorporated May 13, 1854
Established on banks of “Hangtown” Creek as rich mining camp in spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills. Supply center for surrounding mining camps and transportation terminus for famous Comstock Lode. John . . . — Map (db m12732) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Placerville
[Marker facing Bee Street] Placerville Known as Hangtown In the days of “49” to Sutter’s Fort Sacramento 50 Miles [Marker facing Coloma Street-State Hwy . . . — Map (db m16024) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Placerville Hardware
Oldest continuously operating hardware store west of the Mississippi River One hundred forty years in business — Map (db m13154) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 701 — Placerville Pony ExpressStation and Terminus
Gold Rush town and Western Terminus of the Placerville – Carson Road to the Comstock. Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express, April 4, 1860 – June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860 the first east-bound pony . . . — Map (db m57973) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Randolph Jewelers
The oldest jewelry store In the West Established 1852 — Map (db m65254) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Sgt. J. Scott Lindsay
Dedicated to the memory of all those veterans, down through the years, who fought so valiantly for their country.. Those who returned.. and those that did not. From one who did not return from “Desert Storm” Sgt. J. Scott . . . — Map (db m35524) WM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Site of Original Raley’s Grocery Store
Site of original Raley’s Grocery Store opened on February 16, 1935 by Thomas P. Raley, Founder of “Raley’s Super Markets & Drug Centers” — Map (db m35508) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Site of Placerville Drive In Market
Owned and operated by the Ray Gier Family From 1946 to 1955 Owned and operated by the Bing Peterson and Thomas C. Smith Families From 1955 to 1967 — Map (db m35510) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Snowshoe Thompson
A Viking Son of Norway who fulfilled California’s motto: “Bring Me Men To Match My Mountains” For twenty winters from 1858 to 1878 he was the lifeline between Utah Territory across the Sierras, and the new state of California. . . . — Map (db m12750) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Swift Berry“Mr. Clamper”
Born Nebraska 1887. Educated Biltmore Forest School, North Carolina. Began career 1908 in California with U.S.F.S. Major U.S. Army A.E.F. 1917 – 1919 General Manager Michigan California Lumber Co. 1925 – 1949 California State . . . — Map (db m57974) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Druid Monument
The Druids of California Erected This Memorial to Frederick Sieg Who Instituted the Order in this State A. D. 1859 Presented to the City of Placerville Sept. 5, 1926 — Map (db m16460) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Forum Café / Union Hotel / United States Trio Hall / The Forum Café / The Blue Bell CaféThe Bookery
Saloons and gambling halls provided the main form of entertainment for miners during the gold rush. One of Old Hangtown’s largest gaming halls, The United States Trio, once stood on this site. Owner and entrepreneur, Benjamin Nickerson, first . . . — Map (db m65251) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Luse Ditch Flume
The Luse Ditch Flume. (1900–1924) On this site stood the Luse Ditch Flume carrying water from Placerville to the ranching and mining operations in the eastern Gold Hill area. The ditch and flume system was managed by George and John Luse . . . — Map (db m437) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Old Vet’s Building
In 1852 Phillip L. Platt preempted a ½ quarter section here. He erected a log building for the lodging of miners. He named his hotel The Kossuth House. Dr. Platt died in 1853. His widow sold the property to Anna W. Clark for $200 in 1856. She . . . — Map (db m13165) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Eld-007 — The Smith Flat HousePoint of Historical Interest - Eld-007
A hotel originally built in 1853 with substantial additions including a blacksmith shop in 1863. In the cellar is the famous opening to the Blue Lead Mine. Known early as "3 Mile House" the building has served as a stage coach stop, general . . . — Map (db m52512) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — The Stamp Mill
Local residents remember that the thunderous crashing staccato of the ore stamp mill could be heard for miles in the narrow canyon. The song of the stamps had been a familiar sound in this area for since George Cozens erected the first mill here in . . . — Map (db m69864) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Thomas MaulSuperior Judge — 1885 – 1954
Lawyer This plaque is a memorial To our beloved citizen Who sponsored this park and many other civic improvements — Map (db m13172) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Three Unfortunates Hanged
“Somewhere here lie the remains of the three unfortunates hanged in late 1849 from the oak tree in the feed corral after fair trial by the vigilantes. This incident changed the name of Dry Diggins to Hangtown. Let us not judge them too . . . — Map (db m57972) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — Upper Central House
First operated by Elias Parker, only Gold Rush hotel still standing in Placerville. Used as the Placerville Academy School from 1871 – 1894. Dedicated May 6, 1962, by Marguerite Parlor No.12, Native Daughters of the Golden West on their 75th . . . — Map (db m12760) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollack Pines — In Memory of the Bravery of Our Pioneer Officers
Scene of the robbery of two coaches of the Pioneer Stage Line running between Virginia City, Nevada, and Sacramento, California, on the night of June 30, 1864, at about ten o’clock. Perpetrated by a gang of fourteen men, eight sacks of bullion and . . . — Map (db m13922) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollack Pines — The Pony Express - Sportsman’s Hall
California’s only Home Station where riders changed on the Pony Express trail. Here, at 8:01 A.M. on April 4, 1860, Sam Hamilton, first eastbound rider, was relieved by Warren Upson who carried the initial mail over the then storm swept Sierras. . . . — Map (db m613) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — Bullion Bend Robbery
On June 30, 1864, two Pioneer Line coaches were stopped at gunpoint on the Pony Express Trail at a sharp bend on the trail forever to be known as Bullion Bend in Pollock Pines. Both coaches were robbed by a band of Confederate irregulars, all . . . — Map (db m94633) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — Jenkinson Lake
Honoring Walter E. Jenkinson our fellow citizen who dedicated his life to this project which brought water to our city and fertile lands. Dedicated by Rotary Club of Pollock Pines 1990 — Map (db m851) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — Logging in El Dorado County
By the end of the war with Mexico in 1847, California’s non-native population was a mere 15,000. The 49ers pushed the population of El Dorado County beyond 20,000 by 1850. As winter approached, the minors replaced their tents and shanties with . . . — Map (db m94634) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — 704 — Sportsman’s Hall
This was the site of Sportsman’s Hall, also known as Twelve-Mile House. The hotel operated in the late 1850’s and 1860’s by John and James Blair, a stopping place for stages and teams of the comstock. It became a relay station of the Central . . . — Map (db m609) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — The California Gold Rush
The California gold rush followed Captain John Sutter’s logging effort in the Coloma valley. On January 24, 1848, James W. Marshall found gold in the tail-race at Sutter’s Mill. This discovery incited the greatest migration of mankind in history to . . . — Map (db m94635) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — The Mormon Emigrant Trail
Shortly after James W Marshall discovered gold at Sutter's Mill, his Mormon laborers were re-called to the Great Salt Lake Valley, Utah. On April, 9, 1848, a plan was devised to cut a wagon trail through the uncharted Sierra Nevada frontier. The . . . — Map (db m94636) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — The Pony Express
The Pony Express originated in 1860, when our nation was divided and civil war threatened. Communication between California and Washington DC took months. Although the Pony Express existed little more than 18 months, it played a major role in the . . . — Map (db m94642) HM
California (El Dorado County), Rescue — Old Coloma Road
With the discovery of gold on January 24, 1848, Coloma Road became one of the primary routes to the gold fields of El Dorado County. The road started at Sutter’s Fort (New Helvitia), then proceeded to Willow Springs (near Folsom), Mormon Island, . . . — Map (db m11282) HM
California (El Dorado County), Rescue — 747 — The Coloma Road
Past this point on the Old Coloma Road, running between Sutter’s Fort and his sawmill on the American River, James W. Marshall rode with the first gold discovered at Coloma on Jan. 24, 1848. Traveled by thousands to and from the diggings, this road . . . — Map (db m11268) HM
California (El Dorado County), Shingle Springs — 456 — Camp Site of Boston-Newton Party
On this site the Boston-Newton Joint Stock Association encamped on September 26, 1849. The company left Boston April 16 and arrived at Sutter’s Fort September 27. After a remarkable journey across the continent a rich store of written records . . . — Map (db m11568) HM
California (El Dorado County), Shingle Springs — Du Roc HouseIn Search of the Pony Express — Historical Marker
Dedicated July 1, 2000 Du Roc House Added Station July 1, 1861 – Nov. 20, 1861 by PW Pipe James Stretesky Norman & Ann Root County of El Dorado American Suzuki Motor Corporation Pony Express Trail . . . — Map (db m50321) HM
California (El Dorado County), Skinners — 703 — Pleasant Grove House
This was the site of a popular roadhouse, where the ponies of the Central Overland Pony Express were changed during July 1, 1860 to June 30, 1861. From here the route of the pony riders continued westward to Folsom and eastward through Rescue, Dry . . . — Map (db m10442) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — "The Only Way to See Lake Tahoe"
Before roads were built in the Tahoe area in the 1920s, sailing on a steamer was the only way for visitors to reach the resorts lining the south shore. The Tod Goodwin outdid all the other steamers in size and speed. It could carry 150 . . . — Map (db m112978) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — A Room with a View
Guests at the Pope estate had the option of staying in one of three unique cabins, each with its own charm. Many liked the "Log Cabin" best because it was closest to the lake. The cabin across and up the lawn called the "Pachero," was reserved . . . — Map (db m112980) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — A Rustic Retreat: The Baldwin Estate
When Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin died in 1909, he left his real estate holdings in the Tahoe Basin to his daughter, Anita Baldwin. A few years later, Anita gave her daughter Dextra McGonagle this six-acre lot on the shore of Lake Tahoe. Dextra had . . . — Map (db m112981) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Anita Gibson & Dextra CabinsGuest Quarters
Possibly two of the oldest structures on the site, these log cabins were probably moved from the nearby Tallac Resort to save them from destruction when the Resort was torn down. In 1915, Dextra and her mother Anita spent time at the lake, . . . — Map (db m112982) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Baldwin House & Tallac MuseumRustic Gem
In 1920, at age 19, Dextra Balwin ordered construction of her summer house. The architect created a picturesque summer residence that reflected the simple, natural style favored by the wealthy in the 1920s. The house was completed in 1924 and is an . . . — Map (db m34508) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Da ow a ga – Lake Tahoe
A Sacred Gathering Place Many generations of Washoe people spent summers here, living near the shores of Lake Tahoe. Known as >i>da ow a ga by the Washoe, the lake provided a sacred meeting place, where summer gatherings were a focus of . . . — Map (db m35355) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Discover the Tallac Historic Site
This site has been a haven for many people over the centuries. The local indigenous group, the Washoe, came here from the valleys of the Eastern Sierras to escape the desert heat, gather food, and enjoy the mountain atmosphere. In the 1870’s, . . . — Map (db m34977) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Enjoy the View from Inspiration Point
From the vista, you can observe Emerald Bay and learn about its rich and colorful past Residents & Visitors For thousands of years, Lake Tahoe's Emerald Bay has drawn people to its shores. The Washoe Indians made their summer . . . — Map (db m112974) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Fannette Island
Tahoe’s Only Island Over the last 100 years, Tahoe’s only island has been known by a number of names. In 1866, a group of young vacationers dreamed up the first name, Coquette, a word referring to a flirtatious or seductive woman. Attracted . . . — Map (db m35090) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Lucky's Legacy
On this site, between 1880 and 1909, Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin created the elaborate Tallac Resort. The luxury complex featured a hotel, a casino, several cottages, a clubhouse, a boathouse, and three piers. Wealthy society families from San . . . — Map (db m112975) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Osgood's Toll House
Oldest Standing Structure at Lake Tahoe In 1859, silver was discovered in Nevada and the road past Lake Tahoe became a busy highway for treasure seekers and for the goods they needed to survive. To keep roads in repair, stations were set up . . . — Map (db m113203) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Riding into the Winner's CircleEquestrians at the Tevis/Pope Estate
Horseback riding was a focus of the Tahoe summer experience. William Tevis Jr. was an ardent lover of horses. He became an internationally known, prize-winning polo player and horseman, and spent many hours riding and "bronco-busting" in rodeos and . . . — Map (db m112979) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — 1048 — Site of Echo Summit
In 1968, Echo Summit served as a high-altitude training center and site of the U.S. Olympic Men's Track and Field Trials. Four world records were shattered here on the track carved out of the El Dorado National Forest. The U.S. team selected for the . . . — Map (db m89152) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — South Lake Tahoe Library Veterans Memorial
To all Veterans of All Wars this monument is dedicated this day 31 May 1999, to honor all the courageous young men and women, both living and deceased who served in all wars and conflicts and did their duty no matter where they served . . . — Map (db m113201) WM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Supporting a Life of Ease
The Pope complex is the largest of the Estates, and the main house the most elaborate and least rustic of the three. It is a good example of the fact that construction practices at Tahoe during this period favored the use of lavish effects and often . . . — Map (db m112977) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Tahoe By CarAutomotive Adventures
Imagine what an adventure it must have been for Tahoe’s early motorists. Traveling in open-air Model Ts and Oldsmobiles, vacationers began driving as roads connected the Lake’s recreation spots. Completed in 1913, a rough road around Emerald Bay . . . — Map (db m35112) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — The Hermit of Emerald BayAn Eccentric Caretaker
Captain Richard “Dick” Barter found his way to Lake Tahoe in the 1860s. Barter spent the long winters in Emerald Bay as the sole caretaker of a summer villa owned by Ben Holladay, Jr. Originally an English sailor, Barter was known . . . — Map (db m34942) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — The Log Cabin
A Tahoe Original In the 1930s a man named Pomeroy built this little cabin following authentic log cabin styles brought to this country from Sweden. It sat on Star Lake Avenue behind the fire station, only a few blocks from here. The . . . — Map (db m113204) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — The Pope EstateFrom Cabin to Lodge
The Pope Estate is the largest of the three estates at the Tallac Historic Site. In 1894, George P. Tallant built a 2,000 square foot rustic-style summer cabin on this site. Five years later, San Francisco businessman William Tevis and his wife . . . — Map (db m35030) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Veterans Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to all from our community who gave their lives and have served our country from all branches of service. We thank you for your sacrifice and you can rest assured that we will support your families and friends. You have . . . — Map (db m113200) WM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Vikingsholm – A Scandinavian Castle
Because Emerald Bay reminded her of a fjord in Norway, Lora J.M. Knight purchased 200 acres here in 1928 for $250,000. She commissioned her architect nephew to design a summer home that combined the features of Scandinavian castles and churches. . . . — Map (db m35189) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Welcome to the Historic Tallac Resort
You're standing on the site of the Tallac Resort and Casino, a turn of the century Tahoe destination promoted as "The Grandest Resort in the World." The Resort filled more than 40 acres and offered all the amenities a guest could want. Elias . . . — Map (db m112976) HM
California (El Dorado County), Strawberry — 707 — Strawberry Valley House
This popular resort and stopping place for stages and teams of the Comstock, established by Swift and Watson in 1856, became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express on April 4, 1860. Here on that date division superintendent Bolivar . . . — Map (db m436) HM
California (El Dorado County), Volcanoville — 137-03 — The Josephine Mine Cemetery
The Josephine Mine was an integral part of the 1849 California Gold Rush and remained in operation until 1937. This cemetery is the final resting place of some of the pioneers that forged the western frontier and veterans of early American wars. The . . . — Map (db m67644) HM

177 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement