Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

El Paso County Texas Historical Markers

 
El Paso Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, November 4, 2010
El Paso Marker
Texas (El Paso County), Anthony — 1423 — El Paso
Largest U.S. city on the Mexican border. Named for the mountain pass. Historic gateway for Indians, priests, gold-seekers, traders, stages. Federal troops occupied this area longer than any other in Texas during the Civil War. Agricultural, . . . — Map (db m38128) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Anthony — 5239 — Texas
Remembers that valor and devotion of her sons who served in the Arizona – New Mexico Campaign of 1861-62 Sibley's and Baylor's Texas troops followed this route in the expedition to occupy and hold the territory of New Mexico (present day . . . — Map (db m38126) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — A City Is Born
On this site, with Butterfield Stages rumbling by, stood a saloon operated by Ben S. Dowell, who became the first Mayor of El Paso on August 15, 1873; with Aldermen John F. Evans, John S. Gillette, Andrew Hornick, Thomas N. Massie, Joseph Schutz and . . . — Map (db m37915) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 105 — Alderete-Candelaria House
Although the exact building date for this adobe masonry structure is unknown, it appears to have been constructed during the 1870s for Benigno Alderete (1845-1916). Born in Ysleta (now part of El Paso), Alderete served at various times as a Texas . . . — Map (db m37981) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 12851 — Bataan Memorial Trainway
With the arrival of the railroads to El Paso in 1881, the train tracks marked the northern boundary of the city. As El Paso grew, the tracks divided downtown and created a time-consuming barrier for pedestrians and motorists. In the early 20th . . . — Map (db m37855) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Bien Venido!
El Paso has always been a transportation, agricultural, industrial and international crossroads, with a well balanced economy. Built upon a strong spiritual, cultural, governmental and educational foundation. Sunny days, crystal clear nights and . . . — Map (db m37933) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 569 — Burges House
Prominent El Paso attorney Richard Fenner Burges (1873-1945) had this house built in 1912 by local contractor J.E. Morgan. It was altered in 1927 according to plans of architect Otto H. Thorman, resulting in its current appearance featuring . . . — Map (db m60720) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 15036 — Butterfield Overland Mail
The Butterfield Overland Mail was a mail and passenger stagecoach service that linked the Western and Eastern states. John Butterfield, president of the Overland Mail Company, won a federal government contact in 1857 to take and deliver mail twice . . . — Map (db m68170) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 705 — Capt. James W. MagoffinHometown of Texas Confederates — 1799 – 1866
Born in Kentucky. Trader in Mexico. Special U.S. Army agent in Mexican War, 1846-47. Established trading post at Magoffinville about 1850. Named state agent with Simeon Hart to receive U. S. property surrendered at Ft. Bliss, Mar, 1861 prior to . . . — Map (db m38048) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 8830 — Captain Frank Jones
Born in Austin, Texas 1856 Killed by bandits June 30, 1893 near San Elizario while commanding Company D Texas Rangers — Map (db m37950) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Chamizal National Memorial
This site commemorates the peaceful settlement of the Chamizal controversy, 1866 – 1963, and honors the men of goodwill, in the United States and Mexico, who made it possible. Este sitio conmemora la resolucion amistosa de la disputa del . . . — Map (db m118312) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 14578 — Concordia Cemetery
Known as Concordia during the 1840s, this area was the home of Chihuahua trader Hugh Stephenson. In 1856 his wife, Juana (Ascarate), was buried in what is now part of Concordia Cemetery. The graveyard gained widespread use in the 1880s when El . . . — Map (db m37947) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Defining A Border
If you were standing here prior to the Chamizal Treaty of 1963, you would have been on a Mexican "island" looking into the United States. Referred to as Cordova Island because it was completely surrounded by the United States, this parcel of land . . . — Map (db m38071) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 13853 — Dr. Lawrence A. Nixon(1883-1966)
Dr. Lawrence Aaron Nixon was a pivotal figure in Texas civil rights. Born in Marshall, Harrison County, Texas, he attended Wiley College and Meharry Medical College and became a physician. He began his medical practice in Cameron, Milam County. In . . . — Map (db m60729) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 15207 — El Camino Real(The King's Highway)
The regal highway extending between his Catholic majesty's far flung kingdoms of New Spain, from Mexico City to the Kingdom of New Mexico, passed here. From 1581 onward it was the route followed by conqueror, padre, merchant, adventurer and settler. . . . — Map (db m37802) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1423 — El Paso
Inhabited by various Indian tribes prior to the arrival of the Spaniards in the 16th century, El Paso has played an important role in the history of Mexico and the United States. Its four centuries of recorded history span periods of Spanish . . . — Map (db m37809) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 3724 — El Paso & Southwestern RailroadLocomotive Number One
One of the oldest survivors of America's steam railroading era, this locomotive was built 29 years after the steam engine was first developed for transportation. Breese, Kneeland & Company of Jersey City, New Jersey also operated as the New York . . . — Map (db m37851) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1426 — El Paso CountyCSA
Voted 871 to 2 for secession. At start of Civil War Minutemen were organized to provide frontier protection. The San Elizario Spy Company was mustered into Confederate service on July 11, 1861. El Paso was the springboard and supply point for 1861-2 . . . — Map (db m48627) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1427 — El Paso del Rio del Norte
On May 4, 1598, Don Juan de Oñate, Adelantado and Capitain-General, Governor of New Mexico, first named El Paso del Rio del Norte. Through this old pass, the lowest snow-free feasible route from the Atlantic to the Pacific through the Rocky . . . — Map (db m24743) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — El Paso International Airport / The Butterfield Trail / Refinery Area
[Left:] El Paso International Airport One of the nation's finest and busiest major airports and general aviation centers, dedicated in 1928. Elevation is 3,936 feet with a total area of 3,878 acres and tremendous runways measuring up . . . — Map (db m37882) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — El Paso Laundry and Cleaners CompanyLavandería y Tintorería El Paso
El Paso Laundry and Cleaners CompanyThe El Paso Laundry and Cleaners Company was established in 1891 and moved to this site in 1897. Strategically located alongside the Rio Grande just a few hundred yards from the streets of Ciudad Juarez, the . . . — Map (db m60743) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — El Paso Lower Valley Missions/ Cordova Island/ The City and County of El Paso
El Paso Lower Valley Missions Ysleta Mission -- 1681. Ysleta, the oldest community in Texas, claims the most steadily cultivated plot of land in the U.S. Socorro Mission -- 1682. Regarded as the oldest active parish church in the . . . — Map (db m37890) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1437 — El Paso Union Passenger Station
This Union Station was built in 1904-05 as a center for El Paso's international railroad traffic. Constructed under the direction of Buchanan and Powers, general contractors, it was designed by the noted Chicago architectural firm of Daniel H. . . . — Map (db m60718) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 16051 — El Paso's Chinese Community
Chinese immigrants first arrived in El Paso shortly before the Southern Pacific Railroad completed its line here in 1881. The earliest immigrants opened a rooming house and a grocery store. Soon afterwards, the U.S. Government passed the Chinese . . . — Map (db m37904) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — El Paso's First Newspaper
El Paso Del Norte where the Centuries Meet El Paso's First Newspaper Near this spot in 1860, grew a cottonwood tree on whose broad breast were posted many public and private notices. In one of these on August 6th, 1860, Anson Mills . . . — Map (db m37910) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Elite Confectionary
Elite Confectionary The Elite Confectionary was located on the ground floor of the Buckler Building and was a popular soda fountain in the early years of the 20th century. It was noted for its chocolate covered ice cream baseballs along with . . . — Map (db m37798) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 18142 — Estela Portillo Trambley
Estela Portillo Trambley (1926-1998), an El Paso native, was an award-winning fiction writer, playwright and poet known for her vivid portrayals of strong and independent Mexican and Mexican American women in Texas and its borderlands. Recognized as . . . — Map (db m118314) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1629 — First Baptist Church of El Paso
The first meeting of Baptists in El Paso was held on August 26, 1882, at the home of Maj. and Mrs. W.F. Fewel, under the leadership of the Rev. George Baines, Jr. One week later he directed the formation of this congregation, which was chartered . . . — Map (db m60723) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1067 — First Mission and Pueblo in TexasCorpus Christi de la Ysleta
. . . — Map (db m118310) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 13729 — Fort Bliss at Lanoria Mesa
In 1849, U.S. troops led by Maj. Jefferson Van Horne established a post in what is now downtown El Paso to secure territory gained in the U.S.-Mexico War, 1846-48. It moved several times: to Magoffinsville in 1854; to Camp Concordia in 1868; back . . . — Map (db m85628) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Fort Bliss Buffalo Soldiers Memorial
History In 1866, One year after the end of the Civil War and more than six months after the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery was enacted Congress had the need to reorganize the peacetime Regular Army. Recognizing the Military merits of Black . . . — Map (db m38367) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Fort Bliss Officers' Quarters
Old Fort Bliss, on site formerly in Mexico. Owned after 1849 by Simeon Hart, founder of Hart's Mill and early village of El Paso. Officers quarters, built about 1879 on 3' foundations of hewn stone. 24" walls are double-laid adobe brick. — Map (db m38052) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Fort Bliss, C.S.A.
Surrendered with property and $20,000 to Texas Confederates on March 21, 1861. From old fort, the South launched the New Mexico-Arizona campaign. Later, Confederates abandoned and destroyed most of fort and equipment, except for hospital and medical . . . — Map (db m68279) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Fray García de San FranciscoFounder of the Pass of the North, 1659 — By Sculptor John Houser
English: Fray García was born in Old Castile, Spain and traveled to Mexico in 1629 where he became a Franciscan priest serving in the Province of New Mexico. In 1659 he established the Manso Indian Mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe at the . . . — Map (db m37913) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 12913 — Fusselman Canyon
Below is Fusselman Canyon, which follows the Fusselman Canyon Fault, a major natural cut into the Franklin Mountains. For centuries it has served as a natural corridor for the movement of people, goods and livestock between the river valley to the . . . — Map (db m59163) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 2302 — Guardian Angel Church
This Romanesque revival style building was constructed in 1908, soon after the church was founded by the Rev. Carlos M. Pinto, S.J. (1841-1919). A Jesuit priest who began several missions in the El Paso area, Pinto also drew plans and supervised the . . . — Map (db m60726) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 13150 — Henry C. Trost
Henry C. Trost was one of the most prolific architects of the American Southwest. His history is closely tied to that of his chosen base of operation, El Paso. Ohio native Trost was strongly influenced by Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright, as . . . — Map (db m68246) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 12796 — Henry O. Flipper
Henry Ossian Flipper (1856-1940) was the first African-American graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1877. Born into slavery in Thomasville, Georgia, he came from a family of achievers; his brothers were an African . . . — Map (db m60727) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Historic Sidewalk Clock
Historic Sidewalk Clock This sidewalk clock has marked time in downtown El Paso since 1911. Made by the E. Howard & company of Boston, Massachusetts it is a masterpiece of cast-iron workmanship featuring two large round faces and mounted on a . . . — Map (db m37801) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 12881 — Hotel Cortez
Alzina DeGroff bought the Vendome Hotel at this site in 1899, renaming it Hotel Orndorff after her first husband. Noted architect Henry C. Trost designed a new building for her, which opened in 1926. Renamed Hotel Cortez in 1935, this brick . . . — Map (db m37803) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 2573 — Hotel Paso Del Norte
This brick and terra cotta structure was the "dream hotel" of early El Paso businessman and promoter Zach White. White came to the town in 1881 and recognized El Paso's great potential as a gateway to Mexico. He worked hard to help the city realize . . . — Map (db m37850) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — John Wesley Hardin
The west's most feared gunman, killer of at least 26 men, was shot dead in the Acme Saloon on this site Aug. 19, 1895. Hardin was shot in the back of the head by El Paso constable John Selman. At Selman's trial witnesses . . . — Map (db m24741) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 11857 — John Wesley Hardin(May 26, 1853 - August 19, 1895)
Born in Bonham, Texas, John Wesley Hardin was named for the founder of Methodism. "Wes" Hardin grew into a family man, cowboy, and outlaw who claimed to have killed more than 30 men. An unusual sort of gunslinger, Hardin considered himself a pillar . . . — Map (db m38070) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — La Patria Newspaper
317 South El Paso Street was the site of a leading pro-Villista Spanish language newspaper, La Patria, published by Silvestre Terrazas, a member of the oligarchic Chihuahuan Terrazas family. Terrazas wrote for La Revista Catolica and . . . — Map (db m60744) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — LULAC
The League of United Latin Citizens (LULAC) was founded in Corpus Christi, Texas in 1929, dedicated to the betterment of Americans of Mexican descent. The league soon expanded to El Paso with the establishment of LULAC Council 8 in 1933 and Council . . . — Map (db m118077) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Madero Camp
In the spring of 1911 Pascual Orozco and Francisco "Pancho" Villa amassed their revolutionary forces on the outskirts of Ciudad Juárez and were soon joined by Francisco I. Madero. The Madero Camp, which stood across the river from this site, became . . . — Map (db m38100) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 3183 — Magoffin Homestead
Joseph Magoffin (1837-1923), son of James Wiley Magoffin, one of the founders of the city, settled in El Paso in 1856. He held many offices: Collector of Customs, County Judge, and Mayor for four terms. In 1875, six years before railroads reached El . . . — Map (db m38087) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 3184 — Magoffinsville
One of four population centers during the early period of American settlement of the present El Paso area, Magoffinsville was founded by Kentucky native James Wiley Magoffin (1799-1868). In 1849, he began acquiring land in this vicinity. The . . . — Map (db m38086) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 705 — Major Simeon Hart1816-1874
Born New York moved to El Paso 1861, founded Hart's Mill that ground out 100 barrels flour a day and sold to buyers from Arizona to San Antonio. When the Civil War came he was the main source for securing military supplies for the Arizona-New Mexico . . . — Map (db m38043) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Montgomery Building(false front)
The Montgomery building is the last surviving false-front wood structure in the city of El Paso. It was built in 1881-1882 as El Paso underwent a great transformation from an adobe village to a thriving city following the arrival of the railroads. . . . — Map (db m60745) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Mount Cristo Rey/ The Gadsden Purchase/ El Paso Smelting Works
Mount Cristo Rey High above the point where the states of Texas, New Mexico and Chihuahua intersect stands an impressive monument at the summit of Sierra de Cristo Rey, portraying Christ on the cross. The dream of the small parish of San Jose . . . — Map (db m37930) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Nine of Primitive El Paso's Patriotic Heroes
To the memory of nine of primitive El Paso's patriotic heroes Emmett Mills Aged 19 Freeman Thomas - Joe Poacher M. Champion - John Pontel Bob Avlin - John Wilson Who in July 1861 were loyal citizens of El Paso, Texas and Loyal . . . — Map (db m37902) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 3688 — Old B'Nai Zion Synagogue
Congregation B'Nai Zion was chartered in 1900, and the 35 members initially met in private homes or rented space. This building, the first Jewish synagogue in El Paso, was completed in 1912. The structure features an unusual combination of classical . . . — Map (db m60722) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 3805 — Old San Francisco Historic District
Composed primarily of early twentieth-century residential apartment buildings, this historic neighborhood was developed during a period of major growth in El Paso. Most of the structures were built of brick, stone, or wood between 1908 and 1923 and . . . — Map (db m68168) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 3843 — Oldest Mission in Texas
Originally founded in 1613 at Isleta Pueblo, in New Mexico, and dedicated in 1621 as San Antonio de Isleta. Removed to El Paso area, 1680 (during Pueblo Revolt), by Tigua Indians who brought along the Patron Saint as they accompanied fleeing . . . — Map (db m118309) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Pearl Harbor Memorial
Dedicated in memory to all those personnel of the United States Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy who gave their lives, December 7, 1941. Keep America Alert! — Map (db m101368) WM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 4031 — Pioneer Plaza
Pioneer Plaza was the center of public activity in early El Paso. A United States military guard was posted here in the late 1870s to defend citizens from Apache Indian attacks, and military bands performed in the plaza. An irrigation ditch . . . — Map (db m37807) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 4524 — San Antonio de Senecú
Approximate site of the Mission and Pueblo of San Antonio de Senecú Established by Don Antonio de Otermín and Father Fray Francisco Ayeta. O.F.M. in 1682 - Maintained by Franciscan missionaries for the civilizing and Christianizing of the . . . — Map (db m37951) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — San Jacinto Plaza
In 1857, W. T. Smith sold his property which he called "The Town of El Paso" for $6500.00. The buyers were J. S. and H. S. Gillette, J. F. Crosby, J. W. Morton and V. St. Vrain; they had it surveyed by Anson Mills. The map showed downtown El Paso . . . — Map (db m37799) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 13138 — Scenic Drive
As early as 1881, El Paso leaders promoted the idea of creating a place along the base of the Franklin Mountains to provide visitors a panoramic view of the area. The automobile brought new attention to the idea, and in 1920, the city council and . . . — Map (db m37872) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 4711 — Singer Building
Completed in 1928 for the Singer Company, this Spanish colonial revival style structure was designed by noted El Paso architect Henry Trost. For more than 50 years the ground floor served as Singer's Retail Store, while the second story was occupied . . . — Map (db m37797) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 4740 — Site of Camp Concordia and Fort Bliss
When the U.S. Army returned to this area after the Civil War, conditions proved undesirable at the prewar post, Fort Bliss at Magoffinsville. In 1868 the garrison moved to this location, then part of the Concordia Ranch. The new post was named Camp . . . — Map (db m68278) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Site Of The First Mission In TexasCorpus Christi de la Ysleta del Sur
Founded in 1682 By Don Antonio de Otermin and Padre Fray Francisco Ayeta O.F.M. for the civilizing and Christianizing of the Tigua Indians, Pueblo Revolt refugees, formally located at La Ysleta, New Mexico. Building damaged by floods of the Rio . . . — Map (db m118313) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Site of United States Courthouse
The United States Courthouse, which stood on this site from 1892 to 1936, was the scene of hundreds of arraignments, hearings and trials during the Mexican Revolution. Some of these legal proceedings involved Magónistas, or radical Liberal . . . — Map (db m37916) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 13137 — Smeltertown
The Kansas City Consolidated Smelting and Refining Company came to El Paso in the late 19th century, creating a mining and smelting center for the Southwest. In 1899, the American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO) bought the operation and . . . — Map (db m38098) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 4993 — Southwestern General Hospital
In the late 1800s medical treatment of Tuberculosis called for isolation of the patient and complete rest. After the turn of the century research showed that bacteria responsible for the transmission of the communicable disease could be destroyed by . . . — Map (db m37935) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 5090 — Stage Station
This block was the site of the stage station of the Southern Overland Mail line which connected St. Louis and San Francisco with a semi-weekly stage and mail service, 1858-1861. — Map (db m60719) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m37948) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Texas Western College/ The Peace Grove
Texas Western College In 1913 the Texas Legislature authorized the establishment of the School of Mines and Metallurgy as a branch of the University of Texas at El Paso. The name of this great co-educational, cultural and economic asset was . . . — Map (db m37932) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 642 — The Camino Real
For more than 200 years the Camino Real, or Royal Road, was the major route for transporting commercial goods from Mexico City and Chihuahua to Santa Fe and Taos. First traveled by Juan de Oñate during his 1598 expedition to New Mexico, the Camino . . . — Map (db m118283) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The Chamizal Settlement
A change in the course of the Rio Grande in the 1860s in the vicinity of El Paso - Ciudad Juarez transferred less than one square mile from the south side of the river to the north side, yet it resulted in an international land dispute as tough and . . . — Map (db m37893) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The City of El Paso / Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
Before you stands The City of El Paso in the valley of the Rio Grande and across is Ciudad Juarez, Mexico To the far right is the river's southern exit through the famed Pass of the North from which El Paso takes its name. . . . — Map (db m37931) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The First Kindergarten in Texas
was established by the Woman's Club of El Paso in 1892. Two years before formal organization, Mrs. Ernest Kohlberg, with the aid of Mrs. J. E. Townsend and Mrs. H. A. True advanced the idea. Classes were held in Central School building. This was . . . — Map (db m37806) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The First United States Soldiers to Be Stationed at the Pass of the North1848 – 1948
By authority of War Department Orders of November 7, 1848 The First United States Soldiers to be stationed at the Pass of the North Camped in this Area Regimental Headquarters and Six Companies of the Third Infantry Major . . . — Map (db m37903) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The Franklin Mountains
Cabeza de Vaca Peak, elevation 7,152, is eight miles north from where you stand on the scenic point. History records that these rugged limestone mountains, from which stones were hewn and spring water was drawn to build El Paso, were named for the . . . — Map (db m37891) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 3226 — The Martin Building
This seven-story commercial building was constructed in 1917 by businessmen M. D. Roberts and William Martin Banner, for whom it was named. Designed by the architectural firm of Brauhton and Leibert, it features Chicago style detailing in the use of . . . — Map (db m37954) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 529 — The Mormon Plot in Concordia Cemetery
The leaders of The Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints were looking to Mexico as a possible colonization site. By the spring of 1875, nearly 100 pages of selected passages from the Book of Mormon had been translated into Spanish for . . . — Map (db m38069) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 5407 — The Rainmakers of 1891
Working on the theory that explosives could cause rainfall because many war battles had been followed by rain, the U.S. Department of Agriculture conducted experiments in rainmaking. During a West Texas drought in 1891 the agency brought the . . . — Map (db m4788) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The Rio Grande Irrigation Project
To the southeast is the El Paso - Juarez Valley. Here, and in the adjoining valley north of the pass, agricultural production of cotton and other crops is among the highest on the continent. This is a tribute to the stalwart men who put to their . . . — Map (db m37892) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The Rio Grande Rectification Project
Ahead is the Rio Grande. This great river formed the valley in the vista before you. Its meandering course was established as the boundary between the United States and Mexico by treaty in 1848. The straight channel in the foreground is a . . . — Map (db m37888) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — The Woman's Club of El Paso
The Study Circle of 1889 became the Current Topics Club when formally organized in May of 1894 in the home of Mrs. W. W. Mills, 310 San Francisco Street. In the fall of this year the club began meeting in the library room of Miss Mary I. Stanton in . . . — Map (db m37805) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 5615 — Urbici Soler(June 21, 1890 - Jan. 15, 1953)
A master sculptor, Urbici Soler apprenticed under artists in his native Spain before studying and working in Germany, southern Europe, South America, and Mexico. In 1937 he came to El Paso to begin work on the statue "Cristo Rey," which stands on a . . . — Map (db m68225) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 13969 — Victoriano Huerta
Commander of federal forces during the Mexican Revolution, Victoriano Huerta (b. 1854) became President of Mexico in 1913, after the arrest and before the assassination of Francisco Madero. Huerta resigned a year later and went into exile. In 1915, . . . — Map (db m68237) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — William Beaumont General Hospital /Biggs Air Force Base / Fort Bliss
William Beaumont General Hospital This famous army hospital opened in 1921 and was named for Major & Surgeon William Beaumont, who distinguished himself as an army surgeon during the war of 1812. Later his observations of the stomach of . . . — Map (db m37874) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — Ysleta Plaza
The present site of the Ysleta Neighborhood Health Clinic was part of the earliest Native American settlement associated with a Spanish Mission in the State of Texas, circa 1680 – 1750 A.D. In 1989-1990, archaeologists conducted . . . — Map (db m38088) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Abrams House
These Quarters are dedicated to GEN Creighton Williams Abrams, Jr. (1914-1974). LT and Mrs. Abrams lived here in the late 1930s, when he was with the 1st Cavalry Division. He later served in World War II, when he commanded the 37th Tank Battalion as . . . — Map (db m94265) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — An Almost Forgotten History
Just one year after the Civil War, Congress passed an act which created two "experimental" cavalry regiments for service on the western frontiers. African Americans, most of whom had only recently been slaves, put on blue uniforms and filled the . . . — Map (db m93887) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Buffalo Soldier Memorial of El Paso
"The Errand of Corporal Ross" While on Campaign in the Guadalupe Mountains, Corporal John Ross of I Troop, 9th Calvary, was tasked to take a back trail and bring up the supply wagons that had lagged behind. Enroute to picking up the wagons, CPL . . . — Map (db m93888) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Building 1355
Building 1355 was one of two granaries built in 1919 for the storage and distribution of oats to feed horses and mules of Army units station from Douglas, Arizona to the Texas Big Bend. Buildings 1355 and 1361 were a part of Forage Yard No. 1, . . . — Map (db m94261) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Building 1372
This Wagon Scales Building was built in 1918 with a weighing platform on its south side. The building was part of Forage Yard No. 1, which provisioned cavalry horses from 1919 until 1943. Two granaries, a small stone latrine and eleven open haysheds . . . — Map (db m93906) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Colonel George RuhlenConstructing Quartermaster
In honor of George Ruhlen, Constructing Quartermaster In early 1891 Colonel George Ruhlen, QMC, then Captain, was appointed by the Secretary of War to be in charge of constructing the first buildings on Ft. Bliss at its present site on La Noria . . . — Map (db m101373) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Depression Era Group: 1927 - 1939 — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
These red brick Craftsman-style bungalows and the Spanish Eclectic-style quarters across the parade ground to the south were built between 1930 and 1939. Their construction was part of a nationwide Army building program which added many new officer . . . — Map (db m101725) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — First Expansion Period1913 - 1917
The first major expansion of facilities at Fort Bliss occurred between 1913 and 1917 when the post’s focus shifted from infantry to cavalry. This shift coincided with a build-up of forces and facilities to support a full cavalry regiment to protect . . . — Map (db m101369) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — First Post Hospitals — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
The five brick buildings in this area are the post's first two hospitals. The first, Building 8, was constructed in 1893. Both floors were originally encircled by a wood verandah. A covered walkay extended to adjacent Building 9, an isolation ward . . . — Map (db m98392) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Hammett House303 Sheridan Road
These quarters are named for Chief Warrant Officer Robert C. (Charlie) Hammett (1969-2008). A native of Tucson, Arizona, CW3 Hammett enlisted in the Army in 1990. He was subsequently selected as a Command and Control Systems Warrant Officer. During . . . — Map (db m98389) HM WM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Hinman Hall — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
Hinman Hall, named for Brigadier General Dale Durkee Hinman who commanded the Antiaircraft Artillery Training Center at Fort Bliss in 1943, was the administrative headquarters for the U.S. Army Air Defense Artillery School for over 50 years. It was . . . — Map (db m94266) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Historical Building 241 - The Guardhouse, 1893
Captain George Ruhlen designed a series of buildings along a central parade field for the newly appointed Fort Bliss at Lanoria Mesa. Building 241 originally served as the guardhouse for Fort Bliss and is a contributing element of the Fort Bliss . . . — Map (db m93907) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Initial Construction Period1891 - 1899 — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
At the close of the Indian Wars in the late 19th century, the U.S. Army consolidated a number of small posts into larger, more permanent installations. As part of this consolidation, construction of a new post at the present location was ordered in . . . — Map (db m101370) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Joshua Micah MillsNovember 1, 1984 – September 16, 2009
A boy … A dream             A man … A goal Achieve … at last. “Silver Wings Upon His Chest” Staff Sergeant Joshua Micah Mills was born November 1, 1984 at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Ft. Bliss, TX to a career . . . — Map (db m101372) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Mexican War Refugee Camp
On November 5, 1913, Pancho Villa's revolutionary forces attacked Chihuahua City, Mexico. Mexican Federal Administrators, Mexican Army troops and their families, and many other refugees evacuated the city. They traveled east to Ojinaga via train and . . . — Map (db m94263) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Pershing Circle
Pershing Circle was built as part of the 1930s expansion of Fort Bliss. It was designed to contain four buildings: a post theater, chapel post exchange, and division headquarters; however, the chapel and theater (now Sage Hall) were the only . . . — Map (db m98381) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Polk House
These quarters are dedicated to GEN James Hilliard Polk (1911-1992). As newlyweds, LT and Mrs. Polk lived here in the late 1930s, when he served with the 8th Cavalry Regiment. During World War II, he commanded 3rd Cavalry Group as it spearheaded . . . — Map (db m94264) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Quarters 213, Chaparral House
These quarters are named in honor of both the Chaparral bird (or "Roadrunner"), native to the desert southwest, and the Chaparral Air Defense Missile System. This weapon is a highly mobile, heat-seeking short range missile, effective against all . . . — Map (db m94269) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Quarters 236 Sheridan
These quarters served as temporary housing for Lieutenant George S. Patton, Jr. in 1915 when he arrived to join the 8th Cavalry Regiment. Patton lived here a short time with two other officers; one of whom employed a cook. Patton then deployed to . . . — Map (db m101371) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Second Expansion Period Group1918-1926 — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
These warehouses were built for the Eighth Quartermaster Corps in 1921 as a supply depot for Army outposts and units away from Fort Bliss. Unrest related to the Mexican Revolution (1910-1921) led to the establishment of a string of border outposts. . . . — Map (db m98391) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — The Howze HouseQuarters One
These quarters are named for Major General Robert L. Howze (1864-1926), Commanding General, El Paso Military District and 1st Cavalry Division. During World War I, he commanded the 38th Division and later the 3rd Division. In 1919 General Howze . . . — Map (db m98383) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — William Wallace Smith Bliss Monument
North face: Buena Vista W. W. S. Bliss Lt. Col. U S Army Born at Whitehall, N. Y. August 17, 1815 Died at Pascagoula, Mississippi August 5, 1853 West face: Monterey Admitted a Cadet at West Point 1829 . . . — Map (db m94270) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Wilson ParkBuildings 720, 721, 723, 724, & 725 dedicated 1970
Captain John Stanton Wilson was born 11 January 1941 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He was commissioned through the New Mexico National Guad in 1965, and called to active duty in February 1966. Severely wounded during his first tour in Vietnam, he came . . . — Map (db m98341) HM WM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 1503 — Espejo Beltran Expedition - 1582-1583
Following the Rodriguez-Chamuscado expedition of 1581 there was increased interest in the area now known as New Mexico and Texas. There was also concern for the safety of Fray Rodriguez and Fray Lopez, who had stayed in the area. In 1582 a . . . — Map (db m118277) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 2877 — Juan de Onate Expedition - 1598
Spanish interest in the territory known as New Mexico increased during the 1580s and 1590s. Although reports of mining and missionary possibilities were significant, King Phillip II of Spain was also concerned about New World explorations of rival . . . — Map (db m118276) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 3129 — Los Portales
Local farmer, rancher, and landowner Gregorio Nacenseno Garcia constructed this building as his family residence about 1855. Built in the territorial style, it features milled wood detailing. Because of its distinctive inset gallery (portals), it . . . — Map (db m118271) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 14760 — Old County Jail
This structure was built about 1850 of adobe bricks (sundried mud and reeds) and cottonwood logs around steel cell blocks. It served as official county jail 1850-66 and 1868-73, when San Elizario was the first and then third El Paso County seat. It . . . — Map (db m118272) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4335 — Rodriguez-Chamuscado Expedition - 1581
Inspired by Indian stories of settlements in present New Mexico and authorized by the Spanish viceroy, Fray Agustin Rodriguez, a Franciscan priest, led a missionary expedition to the area. Accompanied by Fray Juan de Santa Maria, Fray Francisco . . . — Map (db m118278) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4502 — Salt War
The Salt War rose from political conflicts in El Paso County and from the controversies over control of the salt lakes east of El Paso that for centuries had been a free source of salt for local residents. In 1877 Charles Howard, a former county . . . — Map (db m118279) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4501 — Salt War
Resentment over private control of the salt lakes in the region, often called Guadalupe Lakes, in 1877 led to the El Paso Salt War which entailed the loss of many lives and much property. — Map (db m118294) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4531 — San Elizario
San Elizario was established in 1789 on the former site of Hacienda de Los Tiburcios as a Spanish Colonial Fort known as the Presidio of San Elceario. The Presidio was moved from its former location (approx. 37 mi.S) in response to requests from . . . — Map (db m118275) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4532 — San Elizario
Site of the Presidio de Nuestra Señora Del Pilár y Glorioso Señor San José established by Don Domingo Jironza Petríz de Cruzate in 1683 near Misión de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe in present Ciudad Juárez, México. Located on this site in 1773 and . . . — Map (db m118293) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4533 — San Elizario Chapel(Capilla de San Elzeario)
Named for the 13th-century French patron of the military, St. Elzear, Capilla de San Elzeario was established as part of the Spanish military garrison of Presidio de San Elzeario (also Elceario, later Elizario) when it . . . — Map (db m118284) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — San Elizario Memorial Plaza
Dedicated in Memory of the Founding Families and War Veterans of San Elizario Dedicated on November 11, 1998 County Judge Charles W. "Chuck" Mattox County Commissioners Comm. Pct 1 Charles C. Hooten • Comm. Pct. 2 Carlos . . . — Map (db m118281) WM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 645 or 647 — The Camino Real
For more than 200 years the Camino Real, or Royal Road, was the major route for transporting commercial goods from Mexico City and Chihuahua to Santa Fe and Taos. First traveled by Juan de Oñate during his 1598 expedition to New Mexico, the Camino . . . — Map (db m118315) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — The First Thanksgiving
Late in November 1597 a colonizing expedition headed by Don Juan de Oñate left Santa Barbara in northern Chihuahua headed for what is now New Mexico. Four hundred men led the way, 130 of whom had wives and children. There were several priests, 83 . . . — Map (db m118280) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — Casa Ortiz
Legend says this house was built before 1800. In 1840s, its owner was Jose Ortiz, whose cart train freighted salt from foot of Guadalupe Mountains to Durango; knives, sarapes, clothing to Santa Fe and Llano Estancado. There he traded with Comanches . . . — Map (db m61603) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — Rio Vista Farm
English: El Paso County's second poor farm, known as the El Paso Poor Farm, was established here in 1915. John O'Shea, a wealthy farmer and businessman whose farm was nearby, assumed operation of the farm. His wife, Agnes O'Shea, was in . . . — Map (db m37987) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — 4972 — Socorro
Site of the mission and pueblo of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción del Pueblo de Socorro established by Don Antonio de Otermín and Father Fray Francisco Ayeta, O.F.M. in 1683. Maintained by Franciscan missionaries for the civilizing and . . . — Map (db m118295) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — 4973 — Socorro Mission La Purísima
During the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, Gov. Antonio de Otermín and Father Francisco de Ayeta led Piro Indian and Spanish refugees out of New Mexico into this region, establishing a settlement they named Socorro after the home they had left. The town's . . . — Map (db m118296) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — 644 — The Camino Real
For more than 200 years the Camino Real, or Royal Road, was the major route for transporting commercial goods from Mexico City and Chihuahua to Santa Fe and Taos. First traveled by Juan de Oñate during his 1598 expedition to New Mexico, the Camino . . . — Map (db m118282) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Tornillo — 5509 — Tornillo
The town of Tornillo derives its name from the Spanish word for screw-bean bush, a hardy firewood once prevalent in the area. Efforts to establish this site as a major agricultural center began when the United States Reclamation Service announced . . . — Map (db m60731) HM

127 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.