Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Emery County Utah Historical Markers

 
First Settlers in Castle Dale Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
First Settlers in Castle Dale Marker
Utah (Emery County), Castle Dale — 152 — First Settlers in Castle Dale
Responding to a call from Brigham Young, Orange Seeley organized groups in Sanpete County to settle Castle Valley. Sheep and cattle men had been here earlier. In 1879 the first settlers located in Castle Dale building their first dugouts under a . . . — Map (db m147917) HM
Utah (Emery County), Cleveland — 179 — Cleveland
In 1884 Henry H. Oviatt, Sr. and Samuel N. Alger with their families homesteaded here. When others came, they built a 15 mile irrigation canal, surveying by spirit level and using hand tools. Cleveland Canal & Agricultural Co. organized 1889, to . . . — Map (db m147925) HM
Utah (Emery County), Elmo — Charles Winder and Caroline Mills
1981 In Memory Of Charles William “Bill” Winder and Caroline Elizabeth Mills William was the 1st boy born in Desert Lake, Utah, June 28, 1888, to Charles Henry Winder & Helen Pilling. Grandparents: Thomas Harrison Winder & . . . — Map (db m147926) HM
Utah (Emery County), Elmo — 256 — First Public Building
In 1908 the townsite of Elmo was laid out. Each summer a bowery was erected east of this site where social events were held. In 1911 a group of men purchased the Cleveland schoolhouse, dragged it with teams and logs to the bowery lot. It was . . . — Map (db m147941) HM
Utah (Emery County), Elmo — 351 — Tithing Granary
Before 1890 Thomas E. Davis filed on land in this vicinity. Others followed, erected homes, a schoolhouse and meeting place. June 16, 1912, a branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, George H. Oviatt presiding elder. . . . — Map (db m147940) HM
Utah (Emery County), Emery — A Place Nobody Wanted
When the Mormons fled to Utah in 1847, they were looking for a place nobody else wanted. From Salt Lake City, Brigham Young “called” them to colonize towns and cities all over the great West. The last call came August 22, 1877, when . . . — Map (db m147829) HM
Utah (Emery County), Emery — Early Castle Valley
In the 1870s, the Mormon Settlers came east across the Wasatch Plateau to the high mountain deserts of Castle Valley and the San Rafael Swell. It was the last place Mormon colonizer Brigham Young called his people to settle. They were seeking new . . . — Map (db m147828) HM
Utah (Emery County), Emery — Emery LDS ChurchUtah Historic Site
The Emery LDS Church, built 1898-1900, is the oldest remaining religious building in Emery County. The construction technique, a wood frame sheathed with clapboard and lined with adobe bricks, is distinctive and unusual for turn-of-the-century . . . — Map (db m147830) HM
Utah (Emery County), Emery — Outlaw Country
This is outlaw country! Hidden deep in these canyons, Butch Cassidy, Elza Lay, Flat Nose George, Kid Curry, Joe Walker, and others eluded the lawmen who pursued them in the late 1800s. In the 1850s Chief Wakara escaped into these badlands with as . . . — Map (db m80465) HM
Utah (Emery County), Emery — 142 — The Tunnel Builders
From 1885 to 1889, the pioneers who located on the Muddy three miles north east from the town of Emery, built in their poverty a tunnel 1200 feet long through blue slate rock to bring water to the town. Their only tools were pick and shovel and . . . — Map (db m147840) HM
Utah (Emery County), Ferron — Ferron Academy
The Presbyterian church entered Utah Territory and expanded rapidly between 1869 and 1883. Around 1911, they erected this building as the Ferron Wasatch Academy, one of forty such institutions in Utah. These private educational systems led to the . . . — Map (db m147843) HM
Utah (Emery County), Ferron — 117 — Ferron Pioneers
The first permanent settlers of Ferron arrived Dec. 6,1877. They were Swen Larsen and son Niels Christian Larsen, Nicholas Larsen and wife Helena, Peter F. Peterson and wife, Caroline. The first woman with a family of children, Ann Singleton . . . — Map (db m147842) HM
Utah (Emery County), Green River — John C. Fremont Expedition of 1853-54
At this location in January of 1854, the Great Pathfinder of the American West, John C. Fremont, and 21 other men found themselves in the middle of winter. The explorers were part of Fremont's last expedition of the American west. Having left . . . — Map (db m134347) HM
Utah (Emery County), Green River — Major Powell, Colorado River Explorer
The first organized attempt to conquer the swirling rapids and precipitous walled canyons of the Green and Colorado Rivers was made by Major John Wesley Powell, Civil War hero and explorer. Warned by Indians and mountaineers they would never . . . — Map (db m102089) HM
Utah (Emery County), Hanksville — Henry MountainsGoblin Valley State Park
Henry Mountains Isolated, rugged and remote, the Henry Mountains became the last mountain range to be surveyed in the lower 48 states. In 1872 on John Wesley Powell's second expedition to the area, Powell's bother-in-law, Almon H. Thompson, . . . — Map (db m141736) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Desert Lake-Victor
Desert Lake, about 8 miles east of here, was first settled in 1885 by settlers building an irrigation ditch from Huntington Creek to the townsite and a reservoir to store the water for farming. In 1896 the dam broke, nearly drowning the small town. . . . — Map (db m129608) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Hiawatha
Hiawatha, about 13 miles NW of this location, was named from Longfellow's poem "Hiawatha." It was incorporated in Sept of 1911. In June of 1912, along with Blackhawk & Mohrland, it was purchased by the U.S. Fuel Company. Coal produced by Hiawatha . . . — Map (db m101011) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — 274 — Huntington's First Meeting House
January, 1879, Orange Seeley, Presiding Valley Bishop, appointed Elias Cox to preside over the Latter Day Saints who had settled on Huntington Creek. In October a ward was organized. Logs were hauled from the canyon and a meeting house erected by: . . . — Map (db m147922) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Mohrland
Coal was first mined on Cedar Creek, about 9.4 miles N.W. of this location in 1906. Four men named Mays, Orem, Heiner and Rice bought the mines in 1908 and Castle Valley Fuel Co. was formed. In 1909 Castle Valley Fuel Co. became U.S. Fuel Co. and . . . — Map (db m101010) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — North Emery High School1923 – 1962
Established as Huntington High School in 1915 with Robert L. Fenton as Principal. In December 1916 the school moved into a new building on the east side of Main street at 100 North. The first senior class consisting of eight girls and two boys . . . — Map (db m147924) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Old Bell
The bell came from the old Relief Society Building . It was cracked by townspeople ringing it at the news of armistice, 10 October 1918, was was given to the DUP by the Bishop. — Map (db m147921) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — 178 — Old Ranger Station
This building, erected in 1909 at Bear Creek site was originally the first Ranger Station in Huntington Canyon. John P. Brockbank served as ranger from November, 1909, until November, 1917. Later it was used as summer headquarters by the forest . . . — Map (db m147920) HM
Utah (Emery County), Huntington — Robber's Roost
Robber's Roost was a popular outlaw hideout located along the Outlaw Trail in Southeastern Utah. Sandwiched between the Colorado, Green and Dirty Devil Rivers, the roost is a savage stretch of land crisscrossed with steep-walled canyons, hidden . . . — Map (db m101214) HM
Utah (Emery County), Orangeville — 111 — First Public Building in Orangeville
On this site in December 1880, a primitive meeting house was built - a log building which served the community for church, school, dramatic and recreational purposes. Orangeville had been a part of Castle Dale, but in 1882 it was organized as a Ward . . . — Map (db m147919) HM
Utah (Emery County), Orangeville — 217 — Old Social Hall
In 1883 the men and boys of this community brought material from the mountains and built a hall on this spot of ground. They formed a company and rented the hall. The L.D.S. Church purchased the building when Jasper N. Robertson was first Bishop. It . . . — Map (db m147918) HM
Utah (Emery County), Woodside — Woodside/Price River Ranches/D & RGW Narrow Gauge
Woodside

The area's first resident was a local prospector named Henry H. Hutchinson, who settled there in 1881. Other homesteaders arrived the next year and started digging an irrigation canal. Attracted by relatively abundant water and an . . . — Map (db m131511) HM


26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020